The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Watched most of the Bruins game.

Reinhart still has good hands and makes smart plays. I’m not sure playoff hockey is his thing though, intense and tight checking. Bing saddled with Eric Staal as your C doesn’t help.

I didn’t hear his name too often. He doesn’t drive the play. 

18 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Pavelski just got destroyed by Dumba, he is groggy getting off. Hit was a bit late and a bit high but what a hit.

Awesome hit.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I hear Dumba is a free agent RHD 

It moved.

• dislike 1

55 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I don’t like him, ugly  stride and he looks like Frankenstein on skates.

He benefits from playing with McJesus to pad his stats but he can score on his own.

There's no doubt that he's great - a superstar - but yup, his skating is miserable and he does as little as he has to do to it seems like 

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

Pavelski just got destroyed by Dumba, he is groggy getting off. Hit was a bit late and a bit high but what a hit.

As a neutral observer who has nothing against either team and who likes Dumba as a player, I hated the hit. It was a bit late, but more so than that it was blindside and predatory. Most egregious to me is that, in my view, Pavelski was engaged with and distracted by Hartman who was shadowing/pursuing him. He was likely preparing for Hartman to “finish his check” and did not account for Dumba coming from behind Hartman. It’s exactly the kind of hit that results in the kind of injury that occurred. If the NHL is serious about reducing injuries, and head injuries in particular, then this sort of hit needs to be penalized until it is all but removed from the game. 

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

Everyone's favorite, the Hurricanes, are up against everyone's other favorite, the Death of All Offense, 1-0, in the first.

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

It'll blow up my bracket.  But the NHL deserves to have the Aisles win this in 4 games.  Knock a team that plays entertaining hockey out of the tourney and leave in one that the late '90's Devils look at and say 'holy ####, that is some dull hockey; never seen anything so brutally dull."

10 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sorokin deserves every single game check handed out to an islander this year. Garbage team 

I watched some of that game last night. Until I was no longer interested in watching it. And this thought occurred to me: I'd rather have a non-playoff team that plays an engaging brand of hockey (the Sabres) than have a marginal playoff team (most likely an out in round 1 ) that plays an excruciating brand of hockey (the Islanders).

Otoh, it also occurred to me: These matters exist on a continuum. I had no problem going all in on the Hasek-led Sabres. So, I guess a dull and ugly (and lights-out-goalie-dependent) brand of hockey is okay, so long as you're a Cup contender.

Thirdly, every time I took note of a goalie for a playoff team, I Googled him to see how tall he is. I reckon I need to relax on that. (I did comfort myself with knowledge that Shesterkin is on the smaller side (6'1"), as are Raanta and Saros.)

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

Everyone's favorite, the Hurricanes, are up against everyone's other favorite, the Death of All Offense, 1-0, in the first.

I’ll never understand certain fan’s disdain for the Canes.  They beat the Sabres in the playoffs.  So have a dozen or so other teams.  But because people were of weenie touching age when it happened, they are somehow offended and say things like “Carolina stole our Cup” nonsense.  Grow the ***** up. The Sabres were hit with a lot of misfortune that season.  Don’t blame it on the other team.  All they did was show up.  It was the Sabres fault for losing.  Accept it. Move on.  My lord.  No eleven, this isn’t directed at you. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ll never understand certain fan’s disdain for the Canes.  They beat the Sabres in the playoffs.  So have a dozen or so other teams.  But because people were of weenie touching age when it happened, they are somehow offended and say things like “Carolina stole our Cup” nonsense.  Grow the ***** up. The Sabres were hit with a lot of misfortune that season.  Don’t blame it on the other team.  All they did was show up.  It was the Sabres fault for losing.  Accept it. Move on.  My lord.  No eleven, this isn’t directed at you. 

The Canes were always good at killing PPs.

Haven’t touched mine since Bernie Parent hoisted the Cup. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

Some of us actually disliked them from the days when the were the Whalers.  Never played them in the playoffs but playing them 8 times/year leads to a general disdain.  

Rooting for a small market team, hate seeing other small market teams lose their team.  Just too many boxes checked prior to that series to not dislike the Canes.  Their fans being whiny and Ol' Camelface crying about Lindy Ruff right after winning the Stanley Cup just add to the distain.  But personally, dislike the B's, Phlyers, Aisles, Loafs, and Sens way more than the Canes.  The Canes are in the group with the Stars and the Pens (Rags and Krakers are in that group too just because, and the Bolts are getting there if they aren't already).

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

As a neutral observer who has nothing against either team and who likes Dumba as a player, I hated the hit. It was a bit late, but more so than that it was blindside and predatory. Most egregious to me is that, in my view, Pavelski was engaged with and distracted by Hartman who was shadowing/pursuing him. He was likely preparing for Hartman to “finish his check” and did not account for Dumba coming from behind Hartman. It’s exactly the kind of hit that results in the kind of injury that occurred. If the NHL is serious about reducing injuries, and head injuries in particular, then this sort of hit needs to be penalized until it is all but removed from the game. 

It was shoulder to shoulder but maybe a bit late and certainly not needed since the shot was off and Hartman had Pavelski covered.   Dumba could have got 2 for INT.  

Can't blame Domi for being Domi either.   I noticed no one dropped gloves except for Domi.  

Playoffs are here.   The games get way more intense and emotional.  

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Some of us actually disliked them from the days when the were the Whalers.  Never played them in the playoffs but playing them 8 times/year leads to a general disdain.  

Rooting for a small market team, hate seeing other small market teams lose their team.  Just too many boxes checked prior to that series to not dislike the Canes.  Their fans being whiny and Ol' Camelface crying about Lindy Ruff right after winning the Stanley Cup just add to the distain.  But personally, dislike the B's, Phlyers, Aisles, Loafs, and Sens way more than the Canes.  The Canes are in the group with the Stars and the Pens (Rags and Krakers are in that group too just because, and the Bolts are getting there if they aren't already).

I loved the Whalers more than I have ever loved any team I have ever rooted for and there is not a single day that goes by where I don't think about how much I miss them. Karmanos, Rowland and Bettman can all burn in the ninth circle of Hell for all eternity.

I really enjoyed the Minnesota/Dallas game, it was like old school rugged hockey, tons of hits and I'm really watching RHD Matt Dumba, he had a down year but he was solid in the 1st game, that hit on Pavelski was lethal and not much of a response by Dallas imo who probably took out the Stars most important player not named Robertson or Oettinger. Kings/Oilers was decent also, it always looks like the Oilers are going to destroy teams and then the goaltending/defensive breakdowns happened, Korpisalo was awesome in net for the Kings.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

That was a bush play, I don't care what the league says. Dumba didn't change directions to make the hit until after the puck was clearly gone and he saw it was gone. Absolute garbage and he deserves a beating, not that the league will allow it.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’ve never felt the hatred on that basis. 

I have fam in NC and they are big fans. 

But I generally dislike root against most of the southern teams / expansion teams including the Hurricanes (I am an old school original six; plus the late 60s early 70s expansion teams; and the WHA additions; - Buffalo, of course; and okay with the Kings - with fond memories of 11:00 pm games against Dionne and Rogie Vachon).

The one original 6 team I can’t ever root for is Boston. First Sabres game I ever saw was on TV vs Bruins in 1970. Lost 8-2 and if I recall, they had 72 shots on goal. Lol. It was actually a good goaltending game from Daley. Hated them ever since.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.