Darren Dreger on Jason Karmanos

Buffalonill

I love how wrong Darren Dreger's name is spelled in the thread title, anyways...

If I were Karmanos I'd want nothing to do with Pittsburgh. You'd need 3 straight drafts just to fix that prospect pool. It's a total dumpster fire. https://theathletic.com/3935575/2023/01/12/penguins-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2023/

They don't have a 2nd or 4th this year. Their cap needs a full year to fix. They are old with only 20 mill in space and basically 0 interesting forward prospects. 

You'll probably oversee trading either Makin, Crosby, or both. 

Up to Karmanos but it's a terrible situation.

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I love how wrong Darren Dreger's name is spelled in the thread title, anyways...

If I were Karmanos I'd want nothing to do with Pittsburgh. You'd need 3 straight drafts just to fix that prospect pool. It's a total dumpster fire. https://theathletic.com/3935575/2023/01/12/penguins-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2023/

They don't have a 2nd or 4th this year. Their cap needs a full year to fix. They are old with only 20 mill in space and basically 0 interesting forward prospects. 

anigif_sub-buzz-659-1670019945-33_previe

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

2/5 words in the title are correct.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

"Johnny Hockey" Travoltified is...

"Joey Heenry"

31 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Also, the ownership group that employed both Botts and Karmanos are gone. The Pens are now owned by the Fenway sports group.  

It can’t hurt to be well-regarded by some in the Pens organization, but our guy has no ties to the current ownership.  

But that is a good thing for Karmanos. He left the ownership group in Pittsburgh. New ownership might be more appealing to him there.

It is not a great situation to walk into but being able to get a GM job is big.

We will have to see what happens. Treliving is on the market, Dubas could be soon.

• nfreeman changed the title to Darren Dreger on Jason Karmanos
4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Karmanos and Ventura’s Families still live in Pittsburgh, that being said what is the better situation moving forward from a management standpoint. 

Since most of the hockey ops decisions are made with input from multiple sources, changing the structure of the front office as mentioned above to 

Adams POHO

Karmanos GM

Ventura AGM 

is probably the best way to go and I believe that was the plan all along, Adams new deal would be converted to POHO. 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Very often, taking over a program that is at an inflection point as whether to rebuild or continue to hang on a as a marginal playoff team is a good situation to take over. If a decision is made by the owners to bring in a new staff to reconstruct the program, then that would be a good situation for a new staff because it would need a number of years to execute such a plan. If the owners wanted to retain its core in Crosby and Maulkin and build around the fading group, then that would be an almost possible situation to throw yourself into. 

When Karmonos joined the KA staff he knew that the strategy was to dramatically rebuild the organization, top to bottom. The advantage that KA had was that he had a core that was still relatively young that would have value when dealt. KA was masterful in maximizing their value and receiving multiple assets back to help restore the talent base in the system. He was also fortunate to have a young core in players such as Tage, Cozens and Dahlin that was able to step up and fill the void left by the departures. 

You are absolutely right that anyone taking on the Pittsburgh job should not expect a quick fix. When Karmonos joined the Sabres I'm sure he had an idea of how long it would take to restore this dilapidated franchise into a successful operation. The big issue is more about what the owners expect and would be willing to allow the new management group to do. Will they give the new crew the resources, authority and time to do what needs to be done?

What's interesting about the Karmonos consideration for a GM position is that it says a lot about the franchise that he would be coming from. It says that the operation is a success and that the people working there are appealing candidates for other jobs. 

16 hours ago, kas23 said:

Sabres must have a contingency plan here. Adams gets promoted to POHO and Ventura/Karanos gets GM title. 

Why would either agree to this? Adams loses power or keeps it? Karmanos gets a title with same duties where adams is in charge?

If job is offered which is a big if, he will take it.

Fenway might want to make a splash and go for female GM to take eyes off how bad team is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Flames and Trelving just parted ways.  Maybe he'd be a good replacement if Karmonos takes the Pitt job.

I doubt it.

He was running his own show in Calgary for many years,I doubt he wants to work for KA.

Parting ways is polite, he left but he was probably not going to be re-signed. My take is that Darryl Sutter has lost a lot of those guys, the new GM may have to bring in a “nice guy” coach. Sutter has2 years left on his deal.

4 hours ago, Xzy89c said:

Why would either agree to this? Adams loses power or keeps it? Karmanos gets a title with same duties where adams is in charge?

Fenway might want to make a splash and go for female GM to take eyes off how bad team is.

It’s rumored that there is a power sharing agreement already in place and the plan all along was to have Karmanos promoted to GM with Adams moving to a President Role. This is the reason behind Karmanos being named Associate and not Assistant GM

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Flames and Trelving just parted ways.  Maybe he'd be a good replacement if Karmonos takes the Pitt job.

Karmanos most likely takes Sam Ventura with Him to Pittsburgh and that would hurt tremendously 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If I were Karmanos I'd want nothing to do with Pittsburgh. You'd need 3 straight drafts just to fix that prospect pool. It's a total dumpster fire.

good-good-evil.gif

11 hours ago, Xzy89c said:

Simple. Everyone gets significant raises and fancy new titles. This front office isn’t about who has power and who doesn’t. It’s pretty clear Adams isn’t making unilateral decisions. He delegating responsibility and building consensus within the organization.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.