Long-term or Bridge for Power this summer

Buffalonill

Power Long-term contract or Bridge   

78 members have voted

1. 1. Does buffalo go Long term Or short Term for power

21 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I dunno, some youtube comment guy said he was a bum. I think we explore trade options.

In fairness, if you only watch the highlights like me, I did notice Power in the frame a fair bit when the other team scores.  I'm fully aware that's a biased view of reality and other players' coverage.

Probably was a atlanta thrasher fan.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I almost always say you take a chance on a long term deal if you have any idea at all what type of player you have.

With that said, it is all about the money.  If hes wanting $10m per year, then you go bridge.

Flomoe's feeling pretty lonely in that poll. I'm sure he's glad for any consolatory words you have to offer.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, pi2000 said:

Why rush into signing him now?  He'd be an RFA after next season with no arbitration rights.  

If you think you can get him cheaper now, then by all means let's make a deal, but we really don't know how good he's going to be.   

Maybe you want to let that carrot hang in front of him a little bit while he's developing.

Interesting.

I vote his next contract is long term, that is what we are saving all this cap space for.   

Wait a year and he will cost more.  He seems like a sure thing but you bring up an interesting point.  

So Dahlin I believe will sign for 8 years at $9.5 million this summer. That will take him to age 32.

I think KA should sign Power to a 3 year $6 million extension this summer. Then give Power the 8 year $9-11 million after that. That would take Power to year 2034-35 when he will be 33 years old.  

This is better for the organization long term because you don't have a 30 year old UFA looking for another 6-8 contract that takes them until they are 36-38 years old.

Edited by sweetlou

7 hours ago, MattPie said:

I dunno, some youtube comment guy said he was a bum. I think we explore trade options.

In fairness, if you only watch the highlights like me, I did notice Power in the frame a fair bit when the other team scores.  I'm fully aware that's a biased view of reality and other players' coverage.

We had 3 defenders with positive +/-,  Samuelsson 14, Dahlin 12, Power 10.   

What you see is his 23:48 of time on ice, second only to Dahlin.  

Very impressive 20 year old rookie defenseman. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I haven't seen someone so young look so good in a long time, including Dahlin. Smart and steady like a vet, size, athleticism, and skill out the wazoo that will only get more refined with time. I hope they sign him to a very long contract, and I don't care what it costs. 

Edited by Skibum
  • Agree 1

It depends on how much money we are talking about. If he is willing to sign a Cozens type contract by all means sign him up now. If he wants more then bridge. Dahlin imo will want 10+ over 8 years. 

On 4/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, Taro T said:

Could see them wait until next year to extend Jokiharju.

Or hopefully upgrade and make him irrelevant. 

If Jokiharju isn't bottom pairing (or less) our D won't be good enough. 

On 4/15/2023 at 8:24 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He will sign for 8 years for Tage and Cozens $ .. 8 years - $62M .. $7.75 AAV.

Dahlin will be at $9.75 to $10.5 for 8 years .. most likely a hair below $10, IMHO.

This is what I think, but I would put Power at just over $8 million AAV and Dahlin under $10. I don’t think Power will go 7 or 8 unless we get him closer on AAV to what a post-bridge deal would be. That said, I won’t be angry with a bridge. The reality with Dahlin’s bridge is that it may well have given us Dahlin for 10-11 years at what might yet prove to be a very reasonable number. A longer term extension likely would have needed to be north of $8 million anyway, and Dahlin would be closer to UFA now than he will be if we sign him long-term this summer. It’s looking to me like what we did with Dahlin was use a bridge contract properly 

• nfreeman changed the title to Long-term or Bridge for Power this summer
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

I have never seen a blast from the point from the Beast. All other aspects of his game are solid. I might bridge him until he can uncork some low sizzlers.

I would bridge him to save some short term cap if needed.   But if the long term saves money I wouldn't mind it either.

I am not as sure as others that Power will be a dominant D-man. I hope he will, and there are signs, but I think he still has a year or two at least to go until he is very good/great.

But, I'm saying long term anyway.  The best way to be a top team in the NHL is to take chances and sign your 'core' to long term deals. Overpay them in the early part of their contract so that in later years they aren't getting overpaid.  With the commitments made to Cozens and Thompson, I say go all in...EVERYONE who identify an important piece going forward, lock up long term now. Overpay them now when you have the cap room.

11 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

I have never seen a blast from the point from the Beast. All other aspects of his game are solid. I might bridge him until he can uncork some low sizzlers.

The point slap shot is a dying art. Mostly because they have a low probability of going in. You don't see nearly as many of those in the highlights as decades ago.

https://theathletic.com/3911904/2022/11/21/nhl-slap-shots-one-timers/

Adams likes to lock his guys up long term.

It does take two to tangle though. Power might want a bridge to see where the salary cap sits in a few years. If they can get Dahlin signed long term then they are in pretty good shape to go either way with Power. Obviously long term is best for the team and fans but the player might want bridge.

Just don’t go Dubas and overpay on shorter deals to walk his key guys right into UFA😂

On 4/17/2023 at 6:20 PM, Skibum said:

I haven't seen someone so young look so good in a long time, including Dahlin. Smart and steady like a vet, size, athleticism, and skill out the wazoo that will only get more refined with time. I hope they sign him to a very long contract, and I don't care what it costs. 

Tyler Myers had a tremendous rookie season, one of the best in my memory. Things don't always work out great in the long run.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.