Long-term or Bridge for Power this summer

Buffalonill

Power Long-term contract or Bridge   

78 members have voted

1. 1. Does buffalo go Long term Or short Term for power

Expecting 7-8 year deal signed this summer.

He's one of the guys that Adams has been keeping his powder dry to sign.

Expecting Dahlin gets an even bigger deal that will be the full 8 years.

Expecting Mittelstadt to get a 4-6 year extension.

Could see them wait until next year to extend Jokiharju.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

No question long-term.  Dahlin is more "flashy" and has a higher ceiling, but Power is much farther along as a rookie than Dahlin was.  Based on his play, and his improvement over the course of the season, he's a can't miss star in the making.  Both of them are, although Dahlin is already a star.  The Sabres are very fortunate to have both of them.  It's a shame that Dahlin took longer to develop and had such poor coaching early in his career (see Kreuger, Ralph, who nearly ruined the kid), because the Sabres missed out on the opportuity to get him signed to a long-term, less expensive deal when they gave him his bridge deal a couple of years ago.

And they have Samuelsson too!  The Sabres have arguably the best young trio of defensemen in the NHL and just need a couple of defensive-minded veterans to complement them.

Edited by msw2112

They won’t be signing him to a bridge this summer; it’s long-term or nothing with a year still on his deal.

The best and only comparable is Aaron Ekblad’s second contract, which was for 10.2% of the cap, or about $8.5ish today

If the Sabres can get him for under $8 million per they should be happy. Don’t know that there’s any incentive for him to sign for less.

Remember Dahlin took $6 on a bridge.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

They won’t be signing him to a bridge this summer; it’s long-term or nothing with a year still on his deal.

The best and only comparable is Aaron Ekblad’s second contract, which was for 10.2% of the cap, or about $8.5ish today

If the Sabres can get him for under $8 million per they should be happy. Don’t know that there’s any incentive for him to sign for less.

They should try to sign him long-term, but if I were Power’s agent, I’d do the Dahlin style bridge to maximize the 3rd contract once the cap goes up.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

no need to extend Power this offseason

Im interested why you feel this way ?

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They should try to sign him long-term, but if I were Power’s agent, I’d do the Dahlin style bridge to maximize the 3rd contract once the cap goes up.

Hopefully " Fingers crossed " we get him at 6+ for 8 years.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Im interested why you feel this way ?

Hopefully " Fingers crossed " we get him at 6+ for 8 years.

Why rush into signing him now?  He'd be an RFA after next season with no arbitration rights.  

If you think you can get him cheaper now, then by all means let's make a deal, but we really don't know how good he's going to be.   

Maybe you want to let that carrot hang in front of him a little bit while he's developing.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Different styles of players, but the Sabres have their Pronger and Neidermayer here right now.  Expecting them to lock both of them up for the long haul.

They’ll learn from the Dahlin bridge and go LT with Power. Power’s rookie year at 20 isn’t as impressive as Dahlin’s at 18, but with our coaching Power won’t go through the temporary dev struggles Dahlin did. He’ll be locked up long term like Samuelsson. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They’ll learn from the Dahlin bridge and go LT with Power. Power’s rookie year at 20 isn’t as impressive as Dahlin’s at 18, but with our coaching Power won’t go through the temporary dev struggles Dahlin did. He’ll be locked up long term like Samuelsson. 

I think Power was as impressive, but in a different way.  He was so smooth and steady, whereas Dahlin was chaos.  I can imagine these two in a couple years being out together in the late stages of a game that matters, just dominating the ice in different ways.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expecting 7-8 year deal signed this summer.

He's one of the guys that Adams has been keeping his powder dry to sign.

Expecting Dahlin gets an even bigger deal that will be the full 8 years.

Expecting Mittelstadt to get a 4-6 year extension.

Could see them wait until next year to extend Jokiharju.

Extending Joki.....only if he gets 5/6 D-man money, otherwise he's expendable so that we can afford to lock down 4 truly top 4 D-men.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Why rush into signing him now?  He'd be an RFA after next season with no arbitration rights.  

If you think you can get him cheaper now, then by all means let's make a deal, but we really don't know how good he's going to be.   

Maybe you want to let that carrot hang in front of him a little bit while he's developing.

The organization has a strong inkling how good he is and is going to be. As a rookie, he's already considered to be one of our anchor defensemen, along with Dahlin. The organization realizes that the sooner you sign him to an extension, the cheaper he will be. (Like Tage and Cozens signings.) According to Granato, Power is one of the hardest working players in practice and off ice. This is a case where this special talent doesn't need any carrots dangled in front of him because he already has the inner drive to maximize his big talent.  

Getting top 2 ice time as a rookie is impressive.
Going forward he will be making fewer errors, getting stronger and more confident. He tilts the ice for the Sabres. Lock him up while he is cheaper and there is uncertainty with the cap.

I think his offense increases to 45 points next year and he might settle into the 55-65 point range in a few years.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, msw2112 said:

No question long-term.  Dahlin is more "flashy" and has a higher ceiling, but Power is much farther along as a rookie than Dahlin was.  Based on his play, and his improvement over the course of the season, he's a can't miss star in the making.  Both of them are, although Dahlin is already a star.  The Sabres are very fortunate to have both of them.  It's a shame that Dahlin took longer to develop and had such poor coaching early in his career (see Kreuger, Ralph, who nearly ruined the kid), because the Sabres missed out on the opportuity to get him signed to a long-term, less expensive deal when they gave him his bridge deal a couple of years ago.

And they have Samuelsson too!  The Sabres have arguably the best young trio of defensemen in the NHL and just need a couple of defensive-minded veterans to complement them.

Dahlin had to adjust to a new culture and language. .... Hell, I love em both and can't be happier that they're Sabres.

On 4/15/2023 at 7:47 AM, French Collection said:

Getting top 2 ice time as a rookie is impressive.
Going forward he will be making fewer errors, getting stronger and more confident. He tilts the ice for the Sabres. Lock him up while he is cheaper and there is uncertainty with the cap.

I think his offense increases to 45 points next year and he might settle into the 55-65 point range in a few years.

I dunno, some youtube comment guy said he was a bum. I think we explore trade options.

In fairness, if you only watch the highlights like me, I did notice Power in the frame a fair bit when the other team scores.  I'm fully aware that's a biased view of reality and other players' coverage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.