Season in Review - Grades and Awards

GASabresIUFAN

So what are Sabrespacer’s thoughts on the team?  

What is overall grade for the season? B+

What grade would you give Adams and Granato (including his staff)? Adams - B- / Granato A-

What grade would you give the Forwards, the Defense and the Goaltenders? A for the forwards / A- for the defensemen / C for the goaltending

What grade would you give the Power Play and the Penalty Kill? Powerplay - B+ / PK - C

Who is your MVP? Rasmus Dahlin

Who is your ROY? Owen Power

Who is your MIP (most improved player)?  Casey Mittelstadt

Who is your unsung hero?  Alex Tuch

B- on the season.  One game short. 

Very encouraged with the ability to leave the basement dwellers club behind and get into the playoff mix. Had to rally just to reach 75 points last season. Much better this year. Sabres have players that can actually score. Seemed like yesterday they were lucky to have 1 or 2 20 goal scorers. 

Still have A LOT to work on. 

1. Winning at home . Feel bad for the season ticket holders. 

2. Playing D as a team. The sheer amount of opposing breaks. Too much floating and watching. 

3. Goaltending - finding 2 that can play consistently. May have found 1 in Levi. Better late than never. 

4. Poise - clearing the puck in their own end. Long panic moments. 

5. Finishing checks. Hits. Blocking shots. Less finesse. Getting intimidated. 

All grades adjusted for role and expectations

Jokiharju C Kind of expected him to solidify himself as a #4 with less responsibility being moved off the top pair, but that didn't really happen. Had some really good games and some not so good ones and he didn't stay healthy.

Samuelsson B You can't really argue with the record when he's in the lineup: 33/18/4. He's got more to give.

Power B It was so hard to believe this kid was a rookie — so calm, so smart, so constant. Hardness was about the only thing missing in his game.

Dahlin A- Would have been A if not for the late season letdown. Proved he is elite and in the conversation for the NHL's best defenceman

Clague C- Signed as a depth defenceman to fill in for injuries. Played as a depth defenceman to fill in for injuries

Lyubushkin C There was a  2-month stretch in the middle of the season where he looked exactly like the hard-nosed #5/6 we signed him to be, but he hobbled through the start and had a shaky finish.

Stillman C Better than Canuck fans would have led you to believe, and better than the guys he pushed into the press box. Managed to stay unnoticed except for a few big hits and that's mostly what you want from a #7

Bryson D One of the most disappointing seasons on the team. Like many youngish Sabres he was given a chance to step up, unlike most he stumbled badly and looked overmatched in all but the most sheltered role.

Luukkonnen C People need to remember no one expected him in the NHL this year and half the board was ready to dump him completely. The fact he started 32 NHL games and won 17 of them was completely unexpected. He's incredibly inconsistent with a lot of holes, but his contribution outstripped expectations as the #3.

Comrie D He was given every opportunity to be the starter but mostly fell flat on his face. Injuries certainly played a role but he had only 8 games over .900 all year, and just 2 over a 4-month stretch.

Anderson C+ He wasn't great, but as long as he wasn't overused, he was the team's best goalie for most of the year. Showed great leadership and did all anyone could have expected of him.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Greenway C Pretty quiet start, but looked a little better when he returned from injury and started to assert himself more. Mostly an incomplete.

Jost C Gave more than you would expect from a waiver wire pickup. Offered effort and versatility and, at times, a touch of skill.

Krebs C Reinvented himself into a tenacious forechecker and backchecker and a bit of a pest while cutting his turnovers dramatically.

Okposo C Took a step back from last year in terms of on-ice impact, but also had his share of bulldog moments where he lifted the team when it needed a lift. Elite leadership year.

Quinn C+ Was feeling his way and had his share of quiet spells, but he produced like a solid middle-sixer and you could literally see him figuring things out. You can see the all-around game and the upside.

Cozens B+ Took perhaps the biggest jump on the team and turned into a legit 2C

Hinostroza C- Vinnie was the victim of the team's good health, but played fine when he managed to get in the lineup

Girgensons C+ As usual, gave you all he's got night after night. A quintessential 4th-liner

Mittelstadt B Started slow, but he just kept getting better in all facets of the game and looked like a legit top 6 player down the stretch.

Skinner A A career year in points and the best, most consistent all-around hockey he's ever played

Olofsson C hard to believe 28 goals could represent a disappointment, but it was. Too inconsistent to make up for his shortcomings in most areas outside of goal scoring.

Thompson A Entered the year with our fingers crossed he could score 30 again and maybe be a 1B. Instead he was a human highlight reel and top 10 centre until injuries slowed him down the stretch.

Peterka C He looked like a rookie finding his way. His age showed, but so did his skill and his competitive streak.

Tuch A Just a fantastic year, beyond reasonable expectations. Emerged as a legit 1st-line winger and a playmaking force.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Greenway C Pretty quiet start, but looked a little better when he returned from injury and started to assert himself more. Mostly an incomplete.

Jost C Gave more than you would expect from a waiver wire pickup. Offered effort and versatility and, at times, a touch of skill.

Krebs C Reinvented himself into a tenacious forechecker and backchecker and a bit of a pest while cutting his turnovers dramatically.

Okposo C Took a step back from last year in terms of on-ice impact, but also had his share of bulldog moments where he lifted the team when it needed a lift. Elite leadership year.

Quinn C+ Was feeling his way and had his share of quiet spells, but he produced like a solid middle-sixer and you could literally see him figuring things out. You can see the all-around game and the upside.

Cozens B+ Took perhaps the biggest jump on the team and turned into a legit 2C

Hinostroza C- Vinnie was the victim of the team's good health, but played fine when he managed to get in the lineup

Girgensons C+ As usual, gave you all he's got night after night. A quintessential 4th-liner

Mittelstadt B Started slow, but he just kept getting better in all facets of the game and looked like a legit top 6 player down the stretch.

Skinner A A career year in points and the best, most consistent all-around hockey he's ever played

Olofsson C hard to believe 28 goals could represent a disappointment, but it was. Too inconsistent to make up for his shortcomings in most areas outside of goal scoring.

Thompson A Entered the year with our fingers crossed he could score 30 again and maybe be a 1B. Instead he was a human highlight reel and top 10 centre until injuries slowed him down the stretch.

Peterka C He looked like a rookie finding his way. His age showed, but so did his skill and his competitive streak.

Tuch A Just a fantastic year, beyond reasonable expectations. Emerged as a legit 1st-line winger and a playmaking force.

You are a tough grader.  To give two rookies who played to or above most expectations a "C" seems a little harsh.  If you had a vet in a top 9 role and they only produce 30-35 points I can see a grade for not meeting expectations, but really what more did you want from the 2 kids?  50-60 points? I expected them to look like rookies that showed a great deal of promise and they did just that.  I give them both a solid B.

I'd also give both Cozens and Mitts an A.  Both far exceeded the expectations people here set for them. 

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are a tough grader.  To give two rookies who played to or above most expectations a "C" seems a little harsh.  If you had a vet in a top 9 role and they only produce 30-35 points I can see a grade for not meeting expectations, but really what more did you want from the 2 kids?  50-60 points? I expected them to look like rookies that showed a great deal of promise and they did just that.  I give them both a solid B.

I'd also give both Cozens and Mitts an A.  Both far exceeded the expectations people here set for them. 

C means average/met expectations. People give C a bad rap. It should be the most frequently awarded grade out there. I consider B/D one standard deviation above/below average, A/F 2 

Edited by Randall Flagg

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

3 guys with better grades, even relative grades than Dahlin is tough 

Dahlin played well most of the time.  He had some dumbass turnovers and he led the team in penalty minutes.  Being one of the best PK'ers on a team with a bad PK and putting yourself in the box is not a good thing.

I wouldn't give him an A.  A-.. I think that's fair.  He needs to stay out of the penalty box though and if his turnovers were related to his insane long distance passing that would be one thing, but they weren't.  I am sure that will get attacked.. but damn, an A- is a good grade.

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Jokiharju C Kind of expected him to solidify himself as a #4 with less responsibility being moved off the top pair, but that didn't really happen. Had some really good games and some not so good ones and he didn't stay healthy.

Samuelsson B You can't really argue with the record when he's in the lineup: 33/18/4. He's got more to give.

Power B It was so hard to believe this kid was a rookie — so calm, so smart, so constant. Hardness was about the only thing missing in his game.

Dahlin A- Would have been A if not for the late season letdown. Proved he is elite and in the conversation for the NHL's best defenceman

Clague C- Signed as a depth defenceman to fill in for injuries. Played as a depth defenceman to fill in for injuries

Lyubushkin C There was a  2-month stretch in the middle of the season where he looked exactly like the hard-nosed #5/6 we signed him to be, but he hobbled through the start and had a shaky finish.

Stillman C Better than Canuck fans would have led you to believe, and better than the guys he pushed into the press box. Managed to stay unnoticed except for a few big hits and that's mostly what you want from a #7

Bryson D One of the most disappointing seasons on the team. Like many youngish Sabres he was given a chance to step up, unlike most he stumbled badly and looked overmatched in all but the most sheltered role.

Luukkonnen C People need to remember no one expected him in the NHL this year and half the board was ready to dump him completely. The fact he started 32 NHL games and won 17 of them was completely unexpected. He's incredibly inconsistent with a lot of holes, but his contribution outstripped expectations as the #3.

Comrie D He was given every opportunity to be the starter but mostly fell flat on his face. Injuries certainly played a role but he had only 8 games over .900 all year, and just 2 over a 4-month stretch.

Anderson C+ He wasn't great, but as long as he wasn't overused, he was the team's best goalie for most of the year. Showed great leadership and did all anyone could have expected of him.

Not nitpicking, genuinely curious, you say the grades (and those of the Fs as well) are adjusted for roles AND expectations.  It doesn't really seem like expectations factored in except for 2 or 3 grades.  And the roles don't seem to have factored in at all.  Power was a #3 D-man playing #1 minutes (as were 2 other D-men) while IIRC maintaining very good stat metrics.  How that only rates a B is curious if role is getting factored in.

Again, not meaning to nitpick, just understand better.  You have very well reasoned takes in most all your posts and personally agree with many of the grades you handed out.

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not nitpicking, genuinely curious, you say the grades (and those of the Fs as well) are adjusted for roles AND expectations.  It doesn't really seem like expectations factored in except for 2 or 3 grades.  And the roles don't seem to have factored in at all.  Power was a #3 D-man playing #1 minutes (as were 2 other D-men) while IIRC maintaining very good stat metrics.  How that only rates a B is curious if role is getting factored in.

Again, not meaning to nitpick, just understand better.  You have very well reasoned takes in most all your posts and personally agree with many of the grades you handed out.

Sure, I’ll try.

Basically, I gave each player a grade based upon the expectations he had created prior to the season, then adjusted that grade depending on how well he met them. As @Randall Flagg said, a C/C+ was an average player. And if he met those expectations, he stayed there.

Power was a former #1 overall pick who looked like he belonged a year ago, so I expected him to be good. He was very good, so I gave him a “B”. To get an “A” he would have needed to have had an all-star type season.

“A”s should be hard. Dahlin was the only player I expected to be an “A” going in and he very nearly hung on to it. Fairly, or not, I nicked him a bit for the stretch drive where he had maybe 15 pedestrian games at a very crucial time of the season. I hold him to a Norris trophy finalist standard and his season fell a tad short.

Tuch, Thompson and Skinner on the other hand all started the season with expectations in the “B” range but had years that were top 10 in the league for their positions. Dahlin was the team’s best player and MVP IMO, but these three significantly outstripped expectations in a way Ras didn’t.

Hope that helps.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sure, I’ll try.

Basically, I gave each player a grade based upon the expectations he had created prior to the season, then adjusted that grade depending on how well he met them. As @Randall Flagg said, a C/C+ was an average player. And if he met those expectations, he stayed there.

Power was a former #1 overall pick who looked like he belonged a year ago, so I expected him to be good. He was very good, so I gave him a “B”. To get an “A” he would have needed to have had an all-star type season.

“A”s should be hard. Dahlin was the only player I expected to be an “A” going in and he very nearly hung on to it. Fairly, or not, I nicked him a bit for the stretch drive where he had maybe 15 pedestrian games at a very crucial time of the season. I hold him to a Norris trophy finalist standard and his season fell a tad short.

Tuch, Thompson and Skinner on the other hand all started the season with expectations in the “B” range but had years that were top 10 in the league for their positions. Dahlin was the team’s best player and MVP IMO, but these three significantly outstripped expectations in a way Ras didn’t.

Hope that helps.

It does.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Sure, I’ll try.

Hope that helps.

Sort of. So under your grading system TNT is going to have to improve to 110 pts to get an A.  If he only puts up 90 points will you give him a C?

Once the calendar turned to March, Tage also “only” put up 6 goals and 14 points in 19 games, while skating to a -10. Yes playing hurt but so was Dahlin. It’s only my opinion but I did not see Tage living up to his expectations to a greater degree than Dahlin this season. Didn’t “expect” 90 from Tage but I didn’t expect 70 from Dahlin, either. Skinner, to me I have no problem with grading him out as #1 relative to expectations coming in. Should be noted all 3 of those forwards on that line aided eachother, whereas Dahlin was *invariably* partnering with a player significantly below his overall aptitude 

In addition, I can’t remember the last time we had a d-man finish top 5 in d-man scoring. We had a forward finish higher than Tage in forward/league scoring as recently as 3 years ago 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sort of. So under your grading system TNT is going to have to improve to 110 pts to get an A.  If he only puts up 90 points will you give him a C?

No, he has raised expectations to the point I consider him an “A” player going in to next year.

To get an A he would need to more or less maintain what he did this year, although if he dropped off down the stretch again I’d possibly dock him a touch like I did Dahlin because he no longer gets the benefit of lesser expectations.

To get a C he would have to drop off significantly - 50 points maybe?

47 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Once the calendar turned to March, Tage also “only” put up 6 goals and 14 points in 19 games, while skating to a -10. Yes playing hurt but so was Dahlin. It’s only my opinion but I did not see Tage living up to his expectations to a greater degree than Dahlin this season. Didn’t “expect” 90 from Tage but I didn’t expect 70 from Dahlin, either. Skinner, to me I have no problem with grading him out as #1 relative to expectations coming in. Should be noted all 3 of those forwards on that line aided eachother, whereas Dahlin was *invariably* partnering with a player significantly below his overall aptitude 

In addition, I can’t remember the last time we had a d-man finish top 5 in d-man scoring. We had a forward finish higher than Tage in forward/league scoring as recently as 3 years ago 

All valid.

Oversimplifying, but I did expect 70 points from Dahlin, as well as being the team’s best player and a Norris trophy candidate.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:13 PM, dudacek said:

No, he has raised expectations to the point I consider him an “A” player going in to next year.

To get an A he would need to more or less maintain what he did this year, although if he dropped off down the stretch again I’d possibly dock him a touch like I did Dahlin because he no longer gets the benefit of lesser expectations.

To get a C he would have to drop off significantly - 50 points maybe?

All valid.

Oversimplifying, but I did expect 70 points from Dahlin, as well as being the team’s best player and a Norris trophy candidate.

I apologize in advance for asking you to defend your grading system again, but it feels a little subjective.  I'm not sure what your expectations were for DC, but he finished with 31 goals and 68 points, which tied him for 27th in pts by an NHL center and 23rd in goals.  That's 1st line center production from a 22 year old center. 

Last season he had 38 pts and only 13 goals.  That's a 79% increase in points and a 139% increase in goals.  I'm not sure how much more you could have asked from the 21-22 year old kid in the NHL.  It's kind of scary to think how good he'll become when he's physically mature in a few more years.  For me at least this was an A+ season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

What is overall grade for the season?

I'd say the trolling was down most of the season and posters rarely had an off night. 

What grade would you give Adams and Granato (including his staff)?

I give SDS and Freeman a B, they were not overly aggressive with the banhammer, and some threads did go off the rails, but overall a productive year, could have brought in an Ace poster to shore up the group. 

What grade would you give the Forwards, the Defense and the Goaltenders?

The forward posters get an A, they were quite offensive (looking at you PA 😉 the defensive posters get a D (Buffalonill) because they bring ranch into the locker room, the goaltending; team backstop was simply nonexistent on SS this season, we need to do better. 

Who is your MVP?

This is a toughie, Taro, Weave, Punch, Eleven, all deserving of the crown, but when push comes to shove, it's gotta be.... Inky and the calves. 

Who is your ROY?

What the hell, GAsabresfan come on down. 

Who is your MIP (most improved player)?

Randall Flagg, came out of nowhere and back to posting paragraph glory 

Who is your unsung hero? 

Our house contrarian and voice of reason PASabresfan. All season long he came down the road, kept his high beams on and pushed conversation forward, even if our of our comfort zones. For this reason, he is the unsung winner. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/20/2023 at 10:34 PM, dudacek said:

I give Dahlin an A and Power a B+.  

On 4/21/2023 at 8:57 AM, Randall Flagg said:

C means average/met expectations. People give C a bad rap. It should be the most frequently awarded grade out there. I consider B/D one standard deviation above/below average, A/F 2 

Then C should mean average for all.  The problem you created is that "average" does not mean "met expectations" unless you have the same expectation for all.  Dahlin's expectations should have been higher as compared to Joker or even Power.   Similarly, expectations for Thompson versus Krebs, or Skinner versus Quinn?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.