Seravalli: Is there a better positioned non-playoff team than Buffalo?

ExWNYer

Going into this season, the non-playoff 'bottom dwellers' who were viewed by many to make a move up in the east where Detroit, Ottawa, and Buffalo. Montreal a year or two away.

If Montreal were to win the lottery, I would be worried about how good they are in a year or two, but that is an 'if' there.

Detroit:  I don't think they are as well positioned as Buffalo long term.  Lucas Raymond is their #1 guy going forward,  but he had a disappointing year this year. Sure he is very young, but Detroit was expecting him to take a big step foward this year (like Stutzle did) but Raymond just didn't.  Good player, could be a great player, but he alone won't do it. Larkin is at his statistical peak, if he stays there long term, he is good but not getting better.  They really don't have anyone else up front who is young and getting better that can fill that star-player role.  On the back end, their high priced/carry the load guy is Seider.  He played a lot this year and showed a lot of promise, but from I saw he the only young guy they have that looks to be good/great but even he looks a step (at least) below Power and Dahlin.  I just don't see Detroit as a legit top-of-the-confernece threat going forward year after year.

Ottawa:  They have Stutzle. He looks good, really good.  Just I'm not sure his is MVP-contender good, even in a few years from now.  Jake Sanderson could be good, maybe even great, but I'm not sure, looking over the next 5 years I'd trade him for either Dahline or Power, and the Sabres have both of those guys, Ottawa only has one Sanderson. Tkachuk is really good up front also.  But like Detroit, beyond that, I don't see a lot of up and coming Stars. Certainly Ottawa has enough to compete as the above 3 players get better and turn into a legit top-of-the-league core, but they will have to be really, REALLY good with filling in the rest of the roster each and every year.  The Sabres currently have more high-end young talent options than both Detroit and Ottawa.

So looking forward a few years, I'd put Ottawa slightly ahead of Detroit, but I think Buffalo is positioned better than both. Montreal is the wild card here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well it sure isn't Pittsburgh! 🤣 It feels so good as a hockey fan to finally see those bastards out of the Playoffs (Capitals too).

From WGR this morning: "As you look ahead to next year, Caufield said there are numerous holes that have to be made up this offseason, and they’ll have to do it with limited salary cap room. They’ll also have a few albatross contracts to deal with:

- Mikael Granlund: Five points (1+4) in 20 games, $5 million
- Jeff Carter: 38-years-old, a minus-16, $3.125 million
- Jeff Petry: 35-years-old, 31 points (5+26) but inconsistent, $6.25 million

They have just over $63 million already committed to next season, according to CapFriendly, and that’s with free agents Tristan Jarry and Jason Zucker, as well as restricted free agents Alexander Nylander and Drew O’Connor. Plus, after next season Jake Guentzel becomes an unrestricted free agent.

“They are multiple moves away,” Caufield said. “You even hear players, Evgeni Malkin saying they were faster than them. They are not built properly, they are multiple moves away. They are multiple players away to compete."

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Frank Seravalli wrote a piece on 'DailyFaceoff' titled, '10 burning questions facing the NHL’s 16 non-playoff teams'. Number 4 is about the Sabres:

4. Is there a better positioned non-playoff team than Buffalo?

One rival NHL GM quietly predicted it months ago, so we wrote it down: “the Sabres will be the Beast of the East in two years.” Now that we’ve watched it all come together, it’s hard to argue with the notion – particularly with No. 1 overall picks Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power forming twin tower pillars on Buffalo’s blueline. Dahlin will receive Norris Trophy votes this spring and Power will appear on ballots for both the Calder and All-Rookie team. Oh, yeah, and center Tage Thompson was gunning to do something no player 6-foot-7 or taller has done in NHL history in scoring 50 goals and 100 points in the same season. That’s a pretty strong foundational core, bolstered now with the arrival of goaltender Devon Levi. More than that, as Buffalo battled for their playoff lives into the second week in April – trying to snap the longest current playoff drought in North American pro sports – coach Don Granato has them believing. It’s happening. And the Sabres have the most enviable salary cap table in the league. Tell us: Who is better positioned?

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/10-burning-offseason-questions-facing-the-nhls-16-non-playoff-teams-2

This pretty much reinforces what most of us already know or believe...that this team is ascending and will be there sooner rather than later with some tweaks and reinforcements...but it's nice to see that 'outsiders' have taken notice and feel similarly.

Discuss...

This is all great and this will keep us excited all throughout summer waiting for next season but first time since they last made playoffs this team is going to have immense pressure heading into next season. Which is also exciting but some teams don’t always do well when expectations are risen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Two or less said:

This is all great and this will keep us excited all throughout summer waiting for next season but first time since they last made playoffs this team is going to have immense pressure heading into next season. Which is also exciting but some teams don’t always do well when expectations are risen.

If the players are worth their salt, which most think they are, then they will handle the pressure. If not, they are building this all wrong. The playoff push at the end of the season gave them a taste of pressure and what it feels like to chase a goal. By all accounts, it's a great locker room with a lot of high character, passionate guys. Pressure comes with the territory. This group is not likely to succumb to that, IMO. That is the least of my worries.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

Outside, unbiased analysis is always good.  Good to hear that outsiders are bullish on what is building.

Now make it happen.

Contrast that to someone here saying that it was amazing that we still even have a team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Going into this season, the non-playoff 'bottom dwellers' who were viewed by many to make a move up in the east where Detroit, Ottawa, and Buffalo. Montreal a year or two away.

If Montreal were to win the lottery, I would be worried about how good they are in a year or two, but that is an 'if' there.

Detroit:  I don't think they are as well positioned as Buffalo long term.  Lucas Raymond is their #1 guy going forward,  but he had a disappointing year this year. Sure he is very young, but Detroit was expecting him to take a big step foward this year (like Stutzle did) but Raymond just didn't.  Good player, could be a great player, but he alone won't do it. Larkin is at his statistical peak, if he stays there long term, he is good but not getting better.  They really don't have anyone else up front who is young and getting better that can fill that star-player role.  On the back end, their high priced/carry the load guy is Seider.  He played a lot this year and showed a lot of promise, but from I saw he the only young guy they have that looks to be good/great but even he looks a step (at least) below Power and Dahlin.  I just don't see Detroit as a legit top-of-the-confernece threat going forward year after year.

Ottawa:  They have Stutzle. He looks good, really good.  Just I'm not sure his is MVP-contender good, even in a few years from now.  Jake Sanderson could be good, maybe even great, but I'm not sure, looking over the next 5 years I'd trade him for either Dahline or Power, and the Sabres have both of those guys, Ottawa only has one Sanderson. Tkachuk is really good up front also.  But like Detroit, beyond that, I don't see a lot of up and coming Stars. Certainly Ottawa has enough to compete as the above 3 players get better and turn into a legit top-of-the-league core, but they will have to be really, REALLY good with filling in the rest of the roster each and every year.  The Sabres currently have more high-end young talent options than both Detroit and Ottawa.

So looking forward a few years, I'd put Ottawa slightly ahead of Detroit, but I think Buffalo is positioned better than both. Montreal is the wild card here.

Sabres have Levi (assuming he matches his potential) the Wings and Sens dont. 

4 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Frank Seravalli wrote a piece on 'DailyFaceoff' titled, '10 burning questions facing the NHL’s 16 non-playoff teams'. Number 4 is about the Sabres:

One rival NHL GM quietly predicted it months ago, so we wrote it down: “the Sabres will be the Beast of the East in two years.” Now that we’ve watched it all come together, it’s hard to argue with the notion – particularly with No. 1 overall picks Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power forming twin tower pillars on Buffalo’s blueline. Dahlin will receive Norris Trophy votes this spring and Power will appear on ballots for both the Calder and All-Rookie team. Oh, yeah, and center Tage Thompson was gunning to do something no player 6-foot-7 or taller has done in NHL history in scoring 50 goals and 100 points in the same season. That’s a pretty strong foundational core, bolstered now with the arrival of goaltender Devon Levi. More than that, as Buffalo battled for their playoff lives into the second week in April – trying to snap the longest current playoff drought in North American pro sports – coach Don Granato has them believing. It’s happening. And the Sabres have the most enviable salary cap table in the league. Tell us: Who is better positioned?

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/10-burning-offseason-questions-facing-the-nhls-16-non-playoff-teams-2

This pretty much reinforces what most of us already know or believe...that this team is ascending and will be there sooner rather than later with some tweaks and reinforcements...but it's nice to see that 'outsiders' have taken notice and feel similarly.

Discuss...

If you listen to the other teams' broadcasters when we play, it is universal that they acknowledge the abundance of young talent, and the team's future prospects. The Sabres are widely acknowledged in the hockey community to be a team on the rise. The Sabres are not going to be sneaking up on any team next year because everyone is aware of how good this team is, and will be. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

If Levi pans out, which I'm pretty sure he will, I could see the Sabres being at the top of the East for many years, with a few Cups sprinkled in. Just don't eff it up Kevyn. The next decade could be special.

And that's what he's been avoiding which resulted in them leaving the race 2 games too early.  This next season will be a failure without making the playoffs and my expectation is that he makes 3 to 4 moves this summer to cement that reality.  But if they're teetering at the next trade deadline, still don't expect to see a futures for present move made unless it is of the Greenway, Chychrun, Stillman variety - meant to help today and moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If you listen to the other teams' broadcasters when we play, it is universal that they acknowledge the abundance of young talent, and the team's future prospects. The Sabres are widely acknowledged in the hockey community to be a team on the rise. The Sabres are not going to be sneaking up on any team next year because everyone is aware of how good this team is, and will be. 

Yeah, I caught the tail end of the replay of their shootout victory over the Rags on NHL Network the other night (NYR feed) and Sam Rosen and his partner had nothing but glowing remarks for Devon Levi and some of the other guys.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And that's what he's been avoiding which resulted in them leaving the race 2 games too early.  This next season will be a failure without making the playoffs and my expectation is that he makes 3 to 4 moves this summer to cement that reality.  But if they're teetering at the next trade deadline, still don't expect to see a futures for present move made unless it is of the Greenway, Chychrun, Stillman variety - meant to help today and moving forward.

If they don't make the playoffs next year because of not making the right off-season moves, KA needs to go. This team is only a few players and a #1 goalie (Levi 🙏) from being a top team. The offense is not a major problem right now. The PP, goaltending and defensive depth is. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's definitely possible, but there are some holes that need to be filled. We all know what they are, we will see what KA does to fill them (if anything). 

You think him not doing anything is a real possibility? Be embittered all you like about the past dozen years of this franchise; it's not credible that KA does nothing. I expect he will actually be reasonably aggressive in bringing in veteran D. Not sure what he does in goal.

6 hours ago, Two or less said:

That is what I’m expecting. I know everyone thinks I’ma pessimism which i can be. I look at it like this, there is very little playoff experience on this team so these young kid’s will have a very hard time dealing with the pressure which is totally understandable. Especially if they do focus more on team defense because then they very well may not score as much as they expect and they will frustrate them. Hopefully they prove me wrong. 🤷‍♂️

One way or another, next season will be very interesting. 

7 hours ago, Two or less said:

At some point they just become too good and it isn't pressure when you are housing teams every night.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's pretty remarkable with how many young players have already been added to the lineup from the prospect pool that it is still almost universally regarded as top 5 or 6 in the NHL STILL in terms of prospects in the pipeline.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

Well it sure isn't Pittsburgh! 🤣 It feels so good as a hockey fan to finally see those bastards out of the Playoffs (Capitals too).

They have just over $63 million already committed to next season, according to CapFriendly, and that’s with free agents Tristan Jarry and Jason Zucker, as well as restricted free agents Alexander Nylander and Drew O’Connor. Plus, after next season Jake Guentzel becomes an unrestricted free agent.

OK, that made me laugh

Edited by TheAud

13 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Discuss...

Hey, Adams...This is on YOU!!

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.