GDT: Senators @Sabres 4-13-2023 7pm MSG

spndnchz

8 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Muel needs to seriously go on a heavy milk diet!! He is always hurt. 

Did Leino score 30 in his whole time as a Sabre? Hell, did he score 10?? LOL

Leino had 10 goals and 36 assists in 137 GP with the Sabres. Where does he rank on the worst free agent signings list?

43 minutes ago, Stads said:

Leino had 10 goals and 36 assists in 137 GP with the Sabres. Where does he rank on the worst free agent signings list?

For the Sabres, I would say the worst given he had 3 years to do something, anything.  

His last season (2013-14) he played 58 games, 0 goals, 15 assists,  and was -16.  It was the worst performance by a Sabres forward I have ever seen.  The numbers are bad, and the way he played was worse than the numbers.   

Then he had the nerve to say bad things about the team after he left, never to play another NHL game.  He is a bum.  

2 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Thompson on second line because he’s dealing with injuries? 

and Mitts is doing fine at 1C.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Did Leino score 30 in his whole time as a Sabre? Hell, did he score 10?? LOL

Ah. Ville, Ville, Ville....

Now there's a 4th liner with one good season his entire career and one advantageous playoff series (conveniently against a novice owner with shiny-toy syndrome looking to make a splash [we'll call it "Concept of Ehrhoff Except Ehrhoff was a Legit Top-4D and PP1 Guy Syndrome"]). The Leino signing may have single-handedly led to the tank, because although the Ehrhoff contract became a liability if he retired, the cap hit was fine and if you keep on the building path instead of tanking, you keep him on the roster for its duration and he doesn't have any cause to ever consider retirement.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

VO the new Leino😜

Outside his career season, Leino's highest points total was 25 his first season with Buffalo. Contrast that to VO, who even with two COVID-shortened seasons hasn't been below 32 except in his 4-game call-up year. VO has been poorer defensively though, for sure. 

Addendum: We shouldn't have drafted G Leinonen last season on surname alone.

51 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

At least they tried to actually make the playoffs 

Do or do not. There is no try.

The question is which team is better poised for success next season or the season after? Ottawa or Buffalo? I'd say there are a couple players on the Sens better than their Sabres equivalents, but for the most part position-to-position, the Sabres are younger, with higher ceilings, and a better pipeline still to arrive.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Do or do not. There is no try.

The question is which team is better poised for success next season or the season after? Ottawa or Buffalo? I'd say there are a couple players on the Sens better than their Sabres equivalents, but for the most part position-to-position, the Sabres are younger, with higher ceilings, and a better pipeline still to arrive.

Ottawa has a very nice core like buffalo its a tie right now 

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Ottawa has a very nice core like buffalo its a tie right now 

They do. I'd still take our core and pipeline without hesitation.

This will be a fun offseason side-by-side exercise. Offhand, I would say the only player the Sabres don't have is a Chabot equivalent (if Chychrun is their top PP guy), but a top-4 D can be signed (or acquired) in the offseason for 60% of what Chabot is making on the cap.

Craig Anderson did not reveal any plans about his future on Thursday morning, only that he is trying to soak in every moment of the Buffalo Sabres' final home game of the season. 

Anderson will start in goal for the Sabres against the Ottawa Senators, the team for which he spent the majority of his accomplished career. 

"I've been very fortunate to play this game for a very long time," Anderson said. "I'm just going to enjoy every last bit of it. The last few years have been on borrowed life support here. Just kind of take the moment as it is, because when it's over, it's over. 

"It's not looking too far forward and just trying to stay in the moment."

Coverage on MSG begins at 6:30 p.m. The puck drops at 7. 

The Sabres were eliminated from the playoff race with their loss in New Jersey on Tuesday, but they return home with no shortage of motivations. A major one will be winning for Anderson, who will have family in attendance for what could be the final game of his career. 

"There's a lot of respect for Craig in our locker room, from the coaching staff as well," Sabres coach Don Granato said. 

Anderson, 41, is the oldest player in the NHL and happens to play on the league's youngest team. He has spent the past two seasons serving as a dependable presence in net, a vocal leader on the bench, and a mentor in the dressing room. 

Anderson ranks 32nd in NHL history with 318 wins and 29th with 708 games played, the majority of which came during his 10 seasons with the Senators. He hit the 300-win and 700-game milestones while in a Sabres uniform. 

"At the end of the day, it's about being around the guys," he said. "Everyone here is a close-knit group and that's something special to be a part of and that's something that I can be proud to be a part of."

Ottawa has won its last two games, including a 3-2 victory in its home finale against Carolina on Monday. Claude Giroux became the 96th player in NHL history to record 1,000 career points with two goals and an assist. 

The Sabres are 1-2-0 against the Senators this season. The Sabres won the previous meeting in Buffalo 4-1 on opening night, fueled by a 35-save performance from Craig Anderson. The Senators won both meetings in Ottawa.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.