Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

17 hours ago, Hank said:

I want VO traded for D help and Girgs and OK gone. I'd like to see them start the year with -

Skinner -Tage - Quinn

Savoie - Cusins - Tuch

Peterka - Mitts - Kulich

Rousek -Krebs - Greenway

Jost

You suggest breaking up one of the best lines in the NHL and putting Savoie on the 2nd line without even seeing him play in the NHL?  The top 6 might work someday down the road, maybe, but a lot depends on a 19 year old and a 22 year old for it to work next at the start of the season. 

I hoped we were past relying on rookies?  (See past errors with Mitts and Thompson being pushed into top 6 when they were very young).  

I think this bottom 6 will struggle against good teams, especially on the road when the opponent gets the last change.  Look at how much DG had to shelter Quinn and Peterka in the 3rd period.  Expect the same for this crop of rookies only now they are scattered on 3 lines, not 1.  So all the lines will be shuffled almost every game.  Some say that is good thing, I don't think that is true when 6 of the forwards in this line up are still kids.  

Mitts was playing very well centering two veterans (Tuch and Skinner) but now he is centering two kids on a 3rd line that is very likely going to get limited minutes.   I doubt this is his best utilization.  

There is no line that is proven to shut down an opponents top line.  I guess that is going to be Rousek/Krebs/Greenway?    What has Rousek done to earn that position and all the tough minutes that go with it?  Krebs handled it ok but he had more NHL experience than Rousek has and they simplified his game last season when he was paired with KO and Girgs, now he has to lead this new 4th line.  

No one is added that can win faceoffs consistently unless one of the rookies can? 

We had a bad PK last year.  We can blame the goalie and the defense but the PK is a team effort.  Not sure who plays the PK with both KO and Girgs gone and Jost in the press box.   Greenway and Krebs probably, but then who else?   Tuch and Cozens both get PP minutes so how much can they help the PK when they both have 2nd line duty?  

I really think we will need at least one more solid two-way forward with some snarl and with some PK ability if we lose both KO and Girgs.  

Three more rookie forwards to absorb (Savioe, Kulich, and Rousek) is not something I want to see to start the season.  None of the playoff teams are anywhere near this young.   

Playoffs should be the top priority.  I don't know how Adams handles all the youth, he has to find places to play them to continue their  development.  We can and might have to play them in the NHL sooner than normal but this practice cannot go on every year.  The fan base and the Core players want and need PLAYOFFS right now.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We don’t need an issue to arise where we sign Helle to a 5x8mil contract and Levi plays well enough to be the starter and suddenly you have Levi being a offer-sheet candidate after his two years.  

If Levi becomes that good, you match the offer and then Hellebuyck gets moved.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

There is no line that is proven to shut down an opponents top line.  I guess that is going to be Rousek/Krebs/Greenway?    What has Rousek done to earn that position and all the tough minutes that go with it?  Krebs handled it ok but he had more NHL experience than Rousek and they simplified his game last season because he was paired with KO and Girgs, now he has to lead this line.  

No one is added that can win faceoffs consistently unless one of the rookies can? 

We had a bad PK last year.  We can blame the goalie and the defense but PK is a team effort.  Not sure who plays the PK with both KO and Girgs gone and Jost in the press box.   Greenway and Krebs probably, but then who else?   Tuch and Cozens both get PP minutes so how much can they help the PK when they both have 2nd line duty?  

We will need at least one more solid two-way forward with some snarl and with some PK ability if we lose both KO and Girgs.  

I know we all have our opinions on players and that differs from person to person. I also know that every player is not universally liked. I am, however, still unclear about the rush to move on from Girgensons.  Over the last few years, he has proven to be a good penalty killer.  Eye test says he is rarely out of position on the PK, and over the last few years he is usually in the middle of the team or the upper part of the team in terms of stats for how many PK goals he is on the ice for.  He is not 'over the hill'. He is a pretty quick skater.  If you look at his scoring per 60 minutes hes actually not bad at all, maybe above average for a 4th liner.  Now if he were to come to KA and demand a huge increase in salary over a long term deal of course you move on, but for what you are likely to pay him, I want him back for sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dmitry Orlov - stock up.  "Time in Boston really highlighted his play in transition and offensive ability in addition to the defense he's become known for."

Vladislav Gavrikov - stock up.  Shut down D who has very effective in the playoffs when slotted correctly.

I thought at the end of the season that Orlov is the right guy to add to this D group.  Transition play, solid defense, veteran Cup winning leadership, and the Russian factor to help mentor our bushel of young Russian prospects.

I think for the same reason Boussh was helpful in discussions with Kisakov, and the team needs a defensive d-man (to work with Dahlin/Power and play Muel's role), perhaps Gavrikov needs to the UFA target this summer. Orlov is the better player, but he's also going to demand more cash because of the offensive skills and the Sabres aren't going to get him enough PP minutes with Dahlin and Power ahead of him. Boushh is only signed for 1 more year, whereas Gavrikov would get the shiny new 4-year deal. Would he provide the Muel backup, Power-partner, and then help Komarov/Novikov in a couple seasons in the event they make it to the NHL?

Is Gavrikov the better play for the Sabres at $4.5 vs Orlov making $6M -- even when the cap goes up?

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Two Devils Dmen are UFAs, Graves and Severson.

It would be interesting to add both.  They have experience playing together, they have the skills sets we need, they were coached well by our friend Lindy Ruff and their playoff experience will help the young Sabres.

Scary that NJ is adding Hughes and Nemec.  

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It would be interesting to add both.  They have experience playing together, they have the skills sets we need, they were coached well by our friend Lindy Ruff and their playoff experience will help the young Sabres.

Those two young Dmen will bring some offense and help them sign FAs because they are on ELCs but they have a lot to learn about playing D.

One of Graves or Severson would be a solid addition. Both would probably mean having to move Joki or Boosh.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why? Adding both just gives us 8 capable (ok 7 capable plus Stillman) D. 

The depth would be awesome but I doubt Boosh sits in the press box for a big chunk of the season. Two new contracts would probably mean having their 7&8 Dmen on league minimum deals.

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The depth would be awesome but I doubt Boosh sits in the press box for a big chunk of the season. Two new contracts would probably mean having their 7&8 Dmen on league minimum deals.

Stillman is on a small contract and given our injury history, the odds favor all 8 getting plenty of playing time.  It also gives DG a chance to rest guys with nagging injuries and create personnel matchups such as a more physical group against certain teams and a skating group against others.  Truthfully none of Bush, Stillman or Joki have much of an argument for not sitting given their play much of last season.

FYI: Dahlin and Power played 78 & 79 games last season.  Dahlin would have probably taken more time off because of nagging injuries if we had had decent depth.  Bush and Joki played in the 60s, Matt and Bryson in the 50s, and 4 others played between 17 & 33 games.  There is clearly plenty of work to go around.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:08 AM, Pimlach said:

Barbashev is an intriguing guy to add, especially of Girgs is not retained.  

Orlov was good with Boston but not sure he is the right guy for a young team.  What do you know about him to think he will work mentor prospects in Rochester when he is in playing in Buffalo?  

Hes going to cost 6 million + or more rather let the rookies have a roster spot 

13 hours ago, French Collection said:

Those two young Dmen will bring some offense and help them sign FAs because they are on ELCs but they have a lot to learn about playing D.

One of Graves or Severson would be a solid addition. Both would probably mean having to move Joki or Boosh.

Either would be a plus for sure.  I'd prefer Graves to Severson....better +/-, but then again Severson is a righty.  Either would push Joki or Boosh down to the 3rd pair where they belong.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have yet to see Luke Hughes play D and I have watched him play many times😛

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Hes going to cost 6 million + or more rather let the rookies have a roster spot 

That’s way too much, even for a team with cap room and no prospects.  I see him as a 3M$ guy, like Girgs.  

On 5/17/2023 at 6:38 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Orlov understands from his time in Washington what it means to help young Russians settle in in NA and how to create an environment where these guys can thrive.  With so many Russian prospects coming we need a Russian veteran who will be here more than two years to be a resource for them. 

Orlov seemed to fit in quickly in Boston and looked like a popular guy. I'd guess he has a good personality and might be a decent leader or mentor for this. It's going to take a lot however to get him to not go back to Washington. 

I'd make a big early offer to Orlov but pivot quickly to plan B as I think it's a longshot at best. 

With all the Russians coming, it might be the end of Girgs. You know how those Latvians feel about Russians 🙂

42 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Just listened to the expected buffalo podcast free agent edition

Suggested JJP and a 1st for 1 year or Helleybuck.  Almost fell off my chair.   Too much for just 1 year IMHO.  If you can get an extension of 3 years; now maybe?…. Still feels like an overpayment 

I wouldn't trade Peterka at all. Nor the 13 over all.

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’d want Vancouver to add a draft pick relatively high draft pick to take that contract.  You are doing them a favour 

Fair enough. I just thought it was a unique situation. For one year, Myers could slot in beside Power.

Myers+2nd or 3rd for future considerations 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.