Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

45 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

1st, UPL and Komarov sounds reasonable.

I would entertain Quinn for Hellebuyck straight up if he extended. I love Quinn though so it would hurt.

I wonder if Savoie’s name has been thrown around since he plays in Winnipeg.

I don't see Adam's moving any one of the already drafted and in the system/already on the roster 1st rounders. Same with a rising Peterka. His MO is "build for long term success", removing already NHL acclimating pieces or freshly selected developing high end potential talent without seeing what he has yet isn't something I see him doing. To be frank, I don't see him moving the 13th over all this year in such a deep draft under Adam's publicly stated strategy imho.

But, who knows.

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

1st, UPL and Komarov sounds reasonable.

I would entertain Quinn for Hellebuyck straight up if he extended. I love Quinn though so it would hurt.

I wonder if Savoie’s name has been thrown around since he plays in Winnipeg.

Let’s not forget he wouldn’t trade Kulich or Savoie for a top 4 Dman with term and a great contract 

doubt he gives up a better prospect (Quinn) for a rental goalie that could cost $10mill per to extend 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/28/2023 at 8:42 PM, thewookie1 said:

If it weren’t for the past baggage, Ullmark would be a perfect target but I just can’t see it happening based on how his exit went down. 

Honestly, I don’t see it as all that contentious of a process. More so a standard business procedure/disagreement. Par for the course in this league. I’m not sure it would be as big of an obstacle/fraught with as much ill will as people think. Admittedly, I don’t take KA’s “dying to be Sabres” comments as Bible-literal as some take them 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, I don’t see it as all that contentious of a process. More so a standard business procedure/disagreement. Par for the course in this league. I’m not sure it would be as big of an obstacle/fraught with as much ill will as people think. Admittedly, I don’t take KA’s “dying to be Sabres” comments as Bible-literal as some take them 

Oh I agree KA isn’t dying on the hill of his quote; I just think Adams may not be interested in bringing back a guy who may of bailed on him. If it was truly a purely business situation it’s different; but if Adams thought he was signed and Ullmark played him along then I doubt he’d even give it a thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Chad DeDomincis released a Mock Offseason this AM. 

Said the price for Hellebuyck isn’t astronomical. A first, rostered player and B Prospect.

He had the Sabres trading 13th OA, UPL and Kisakov for Him. 

Also this trade 

Buffalo Sabres acquire Matt Grzelcyk in exchange for Jacob Bryson and the Sabres’ 2024 second-round pick

Does not have Jost or Zemgus returning.

Mentioned VO isn’t generating much trade interest around the league 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Said the price for Hellebuyck isn’t astronomical. A first, rostered player and B Prospect.

Also this trade 

Buffalo Sabres acquire Matt Grzelcyk in exchange for Jacob Bryson and the Sabres’ 2024 second-round pick

Under DeDomincis's trade proposal is Helle given an extension or not? If not, I wouldn't make the deal. If yes, I would find the deal to be very appealing. 

Marty Biron talked about trading for Helle on his WGR radio show a week or so ago. Surprisingly, Marty was emphatic that if the Sabres had an opportunity to trade for the goalie, the Sabres should make the deal whether an extension was given or not. He argued that the Sabres are in a position to win now. He felt that the organization needed to seize the opportunity if given. He also conjectured that if Hellebuyck was on the market that Jersey would be a team very interested in securing his services. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Under DeDomincis's trade proposal is Helle given an extension or not? If not, I wouldn't make the deal. If yes, I would find the deal to be very appealing. 

Marty Biron talked about trading for Helle on his WGR radio show a week or so ago. Surprisingly, Marty was emphatic that if the Sabres had an opportunity to trade for the goalie, the Sabres should make the deal whether an extension was given or not. He argued that the Sabres are in a position to win now. He felt that the organization needed to seize the opportunity if given. He also conjectured that if Hellebuyck was on the market that Jersey would be a team very interested in securing his services. 

No extension mentioned. I would make that deal if Michkov was off the board and they couldn’t move up to get him.

NJ would be very interested. They have to figure out Meier first though. NJ With Hellebuyck would be contenders for sure.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

This was without an extension. 

Essentially giving up 13OA for one year of a Vezina Finalist makes a lot of sense.

This gives Levi the chance to have his number of starts set and gives Hellebuyck a chance to reduce His regular season, starts and rest up for the playoffs. 
As @dudacekpreviously mentioned, Hellebuyck might not be the best candidate for the Sabres based on the style that they play so this does have to be taken into consideration. 
In terms of New Jersey, yes, they are a contender. I would also add the LA Kings as well as the Detroit Red Wings into this mix as well. 
Neither New Jersey or LA have their first round pick this year, but have multiple assets in terms of prospects that can be traded. 
LA and Detroit would be in best position to sign him long-term. 

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Also this trade 

Why can’t we catch a break with players like this? Dumping a 28 goal scorer should fetch adequate value. It angers me we may either be forced to just keep him or actively lose a trade just to open a roster spot

27 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Why can’t we catch a break with players like this? Dumping a 28 goal scorer should fetch adequate value. It angers me we may either be forced to just keep him or actively lose a trade just to open a roster spot

A few teams, Chicago and Arizona come to mind, are going to need to take on some salary to hit the floor this coming season.  Somebody's gonna take him, might not get a king's ransom in return, but other teams have seen him play and will negotiate accordingly.  Dunno if that qualifies as losing the trade when what we're offering up isn't really all that attractive.   

51 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

There should be more action at the draft, all the GMs will be together.

It would be nice if Winnipeg took him as part of a package for Hellebuyck.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Also this trade 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Essentially giving up 13OA for one year of a Vezina Finalist makes a lot of sense.

This gives Levi the chance to have his number of starts set and gives Hellebuyck a chance to reduce His regular season, starts and rest up for the playoffs. 
As @dudacekpreviously mentioned, Hellebuyck might not be the best candidate for the Sabres based on the style that they play so this does have to be taken into consideration. 
In terms of New Jersey, yes, they are a contender. I would also add the LA Kings as well as the Detroit Red Wings into this mix as well. 
Neither New Jersey or LA have their first round pick this year, but have multiple assets in terms of prospects that can be traded. 

Interesting.  That's a pretty high pick to give up for one year of a goalie -- and IMHO it's at least 80% likely not to exceed one year -- but OTOH if any current goalie is worth it, Helle is one of 2 or 3 guys that qualify.

I'd much rather give up a 2024 first, but that might not get it done.  OTOH, is anyone else going to give up more than that for Helle unless an extension is part of the deal?

If KA were to make the trade and include the 2023 #1, I'd probably get comfortable with it after a little while and then get pretty excited about the season.

Also, I'd trade Bryson and a #2 for Grzelcyck in a heartbeat, but I don't think that's enough to get it done for Boston.  They will get better offers for him than that.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I would be against giving up a first round pick plus other assets for a one year rental. The assets that would be used for a one year player could be better utilized for a second pairing defenseman who would be on the team longer than one year. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

No extension mentioned. I would make that deal if Michkov was off the board and they couldn’t move up to get him.

NJ would be very interested. They have to figure out Meier first though. NJ With Hellebuyck would be contenders for sure.

As I stated to @BrawndoI wouldn't be interested in giving up a first round pick plus additional assets for a probable one year player. It would be better to use those assets to acquire a second-pairing defenseman. If I got an agreement from him to add another year to his dea,l I would be more receptive to a Helly deal. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

It’s such an easy “yes” it’s not even funny 

*the only reason you can get one of the best players in the world for the pittance that is a draft pick is *because* there’s no locked in extension.*

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’d have reservations about trading so much for 1 year of Helle.

Honestly if he had 1 or 2 more years on his deal or a short extension I’d be ready to pick him up from the airport.

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d have reservations about trading so much for 1 year of Helle.

Honestly if he had 1 or 2 more years on his deal or a short extension I’d be ready to pick him up from the airport.

Let’s just offer them VO and be done with it 

We have to be sure to both get one of the best goalies in the league for next year, but pay so little so as to feel like we aren’t giving up ANYTHING we care about.

This is how trades work 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I would be against giving up a first round pick plus other assets for a one year rental. The assets that would be used for a one year player could be better utilized for a second pairing defenseman who would be on the team longer than one year. 

Hellebuyck isn’t a normal rental player though. He is one of the Top Three Players at a position which has been unsettled for the Sabres going back about a decade.  Levi has a lot of promise, but it still unproven. This would allow the team to set a number of starts for Levi and lower the number of games for Hellebuyck from the mid 60s that he has played the past two seasons in Winnipeg. A number 4 defenseman is much easier to find in UFA and I believe either Novikov or Johnson will be ready for second pairing minutes by the 2024-25 season. 

UPL doesn’t appear to be in their future and Kisakov probably never makes the Sabres Roster with the depth at forward 

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s such an easy “yes” it’s not even funny 

*the only reason you can get one of the best players in the world for the pittance that is a draft pick is *because* there’s no locked in extension.*

The Sabres Front Office has created the perfect environment to make a move like this, as the roster is ready to take the next step and has assembled a deep pool of assets. 

Okposo said the expectations for the team is the playoffs, a move like this shows the FO agrees. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hellebuyck isn’t a normal rental player though. He is one of the Top Three Players at a position which has been unsettled for the Sabres going back about a decade.  Levi has a lot of promise, but it still unproven. This would allow the team to set a number of starts for Levi and lower the number of games for Hellebuyck from the mid 60s that he has played the past two seasons in Winnipeg. A number 4 defenseman is much easier to find in UFA and I believe either Novikov or Johnson will be ready for second pairing minutes by the 2024-25 season. 

UPL doesn’t appear to be in their future and Kisakov probably never makes the Sabres Roster with the depth at forward 

The Sabres Front Office has created the perfect environment to make a move like this, as the roster is ready to take the next step and has assembled a deep pool of assets. 

Okposo said the expectations for the team is the playoffs, a move like this shows the FO agrees. 

Let me break it down a little further:

we’d be trading a *draft pick*. You get a new one of those......every year! For free! The league just.. gives it to you. Our system is *loaded*. Already to the extent that it’s a *guarantee* that not all of the players in it are going to be able to play for the Buffalo Sabres. What we are doing, when trading a draft pick, is merely, essentially, trading back one year in terms of talent arrival. Adams will make another great selection next year that will merely enter our already overloaded prospect talent pool one year later than the pick THIS year, would have. Which is YEARS away. 

We’d be swapping getting a much less important talent influx at F, a few years down the line, a year sooner, for a MUCH LARGER, defined talent increase, for right now. 

It’s a no brainer. It’s 2023. The valuation of assets has changed. It’s time now. It used to be important to never miss an opportunity to add to the system because you *needed the system to reach critical mass*. Adding another pick adds much less value, now than it did when we had a barren system that NEEDED through law of averages to reconstruct the NHL roster. It’s a hack: we can totally fortify our roster for next season, that’s ready to win, by dealing that pick. That’s the opportunity granted to us because of the great situation KA has put us in.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The smart thing to do here would be to assume neither of these guys exist until you actually see them excelling in that role. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.