Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

I suppose this should go in this thread instead of the Savoie to Rochester thread so I can get properly flamed:

And this is what I'd like to see Buffalo do this offseason.

Specifically, go full rental and trade for Hellebuyck and DeMelo from Winnipeg. I don't need to go into a description of why Hellebuyck is a good goalie, but DeMelo is an overlooked RHD who gets a lot of unnecessary flak from his fanbase because he's boring and doesn't run up points. From the stats nerds perspective, he's a solid D-man. He's at least partly responsible for unlocking Morrisey. He's also considered a likeable guy and a leader on the team and he's on a $3m contract for 23-24 so Buffalo isn't stuck long-term if he doesn't work out. Extending him shouldn't be difficult either if Buffalo is truly a playoff team and he's partnering with a former 1OA pick. If you bring him back for 3 more seasons, that lets you bring in players like Novikov on the third line while still under their ELCs and gives you some buffer in the event of injury.

More importantly he is a puck mover and should work within Granato's system. We can talk advanced stats all day on players, but not every player plays a game that will work with every team. DeMelo's play should translate just fine to being the right-hand man to Power and letting Power open his game up more.

If the Jets are willing to listen to offers on Hellebuyck, I'm sure they're willing to listen on DeMelo. I don't know what the cost would be, but it will be easier to acquire him over the summer than trying to get him in February.

To build on that slightly, I'm less sold on trading for Hellebuyck because I suspect the asking price is sky-high, but I believe DeMelo could be had for a reasonable price (assuming we're not on his 6 team NTC). Historically a RHD 2nd pairing D-man is worth around a 2nd + change. We have two 2nd rounders this draft and Winnipeg doesn't have any. I'd like to see GMKA act proactively and make the trade prior to the draft. A pick with a known draft position in the top half of the 2nd is worth more than a 2024 2nd that could end up 64th overall. Ideally the deal has Bryson heading out of town as well, but I'm not sure what cost to Buffalo that might be nor do I think Winnipeg wants to take on his small cap hit for one more year.  It's possible we add someone like Weissbach/Rousek to the deal if it means they'll take Bryson. The basis of the trade in my mind would be:

To Buffalo:
DeMelo
Rights to Gawanke

To Winnipeg:
2023 2nd (45th OA)

Gawanke is an intriguing AHLer who just told the Jets organization to pound sand by signing a contract in the DEL because he wasn't getting a look at the NHL level and his request to be traded was ignored. I don't know if he'll end up an NHLer, but he's a 24-year-old (in like two weeks) 6'1 RHD who looked really good with the Moose last season. I'd like to see him go from the Moose to the "shoot the Moose" team and watch how he does. I would venture a guess he'd happily sign with Buffalo considering our current openings at defense.

I also think this is a reasonable move to expect from GMKA who has--at least so far--avoided splashy moves. It adds a player for a full season who is on a more than reasonable contract and who we could likely extend.

I'd also look at Chicago to work some kind of deal to bring Connor Murphy to Buffalo (is there a no-take-backsies rule with Joki?). I think that gives you two reasonable options to pair with Power while simultaneously upgrading the third pairing/adding depth. I don't know if Murphy is available though. Both players fit the role player stereotype which should give Power the runway to take off offensively. I think DeMelo is the better option because he's a better puck mover and would fit easier into Granato's system, but I don't think Murphy would be an issue.

I get that everyone wants a big name or a superstar but we already have two of those on defense. The reality is we need a 4th guy (and a 5th guy for that matter). Adding someone making $6m a year is a waste of cap space to tie up on a player who should be the secondary partner on the 2nd pairing. It's critical to upgrade the 4th and 5th D spots this offseason and I think most (all?) fans agrees with this.

If/when Adams adds a player, I want my reaction to be "oh okay yeah that makes sense, good on ya mate" and not "OH MY GOD WE SIGNED [x]!!!!!! LEMME GO BUY A JERSEY!!!!" If it's the latter reaction, we're going to watch Drury and Briere leave all over again.

I have no idea what to do about goaltending except to sign Houser to an NHL contract and let him be our 1A.

23 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

If/when Adams adds a player, I want my reaction to be "oh okay yeah that makes sense, good on ya mate" and not "OH MY GOD WE SIGNED [x]!!!!!! LEMME GO BUY A JERSEY!!!!" If it's the latter reaction, we're going to watch Drury and Briere leave all over again.

We got him, we got Matt Irwin!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Vancouver is over the cap. If they offered the Sabres Myers for a 7th round pick would you do it? $6 million for one season.

I would want to flip First Round Picks, we get 11th OA Pick and Myers for the 13th OA Pick 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would want to flip First Round Picks, we get 11th OA Pick and Myers for the 13th OA Pick 

wow, I love this! hopefully a rumor you have heard

Vancouver is one of the teams that has a high probability of taking a Dman with their first pick, plus jump over Arizona - who if they take a forward at 6 is almost certainly taking one at 12.

Edited by Crusader1969

56 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

wow, I love this! hopefully a rumor you have heard

Vancouver is one of the teams that has a high probability of taking a Dman with their first pick, plus jump over Arizona - who if they take a forward at 6 is almost certainly taking one at 12.

2 spots won’t be worth eating that contract and playing the chaos giraffe

Back to Hellebuyck idea...

If I would have asked anyone of you two years ago, would you trade Reinhart for Hellebuyck everyone would have said yes.

So in Reinhart you got Levi and pick (Kulich).

So if I asked you now would you trade Levi and (pick/prospect) Savoi, why would you not do that?

Agreed Hellebuyck would have have to have an extension in place of 6-7 years in order for me to make move.

Hellebuyck makes this team a playoff team every year he is here.  Why are we putting are hopes that a prospect will work out?

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

If I would have asked anyone of you two years ago, would you trade Reinhart for Hellebuyck everyone would have said yes.

So if I asked you now would you trade Levi and (pick/prospect) Savoi, why would you not do that?

Agreed Hellebuyck would have have to have an extension in place of 6-7 years in order for me to make move.

Hellebuyck makes this team a playoff team every year he is here.  Why are we putting are hopes that a prospect will work out?

Tim Murray, how did you make it back here?

14 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

If it gets you the Dman you want, it certainly would be 

Well I don’t feel Myers would fix or improve our back end. To me Myers is more of a cap dump with use, akin to Legwand, and not an upgrade.

54 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

As Callaway said, are you Tim Murray in disguise or something? 

That equivalence doesn’t work, unless you’re a goalie away from the Cup, you don’t trade your top goalie prospect and either your top or 2nd prospect for a goalie. Not to mention the contract demands will be almost assuredly a major issue. If Bob wins this year, he’ll save his contract’s life but otherwise he’s been greatly overpaid for spotty play in Florida. 

Plus one of the posters showed an analysis of Hellebuyck and found he might not be great with our system of play. And we aren’t turning into WPG play style.

Daily Faceoff UFA contract estimations, who you going after? 

Daily Faceoff’s Top 50 Pending Free Agents  

Im going after:
1) Graves
2) Andersen or Hill
3) Hathaway

RankPlayer   Pos   Age           Projection

1 Damon Severson   RD28     6 x $6.1m
2 Tyler BertuzziL W               6 x $5.25m
3 Dmitry Orlov  LD                  5 x $6.25m
4 J.T. Compher  C                   5 x $5.3m
5 Michael Bunting  LW  27     5 x $5.25m
6 Ryan Graves  LD   28           5 x $5.1m
7 Alex Killorn  RW  33             4 x $5.25m
8 Patrick Kane  RW  34          3 x $5.75
9 Ryan O’Reilly  C  32             3 x $5.5m
10 Vladislav Gavrikov  LD 27  5 x $4.9m
11 Tristan Jarry  G  28            4 x $4.8m
12 Jordan Staal  C  34            2 x $3.2m
13 Vladimir Tarasenko  RW   3 x $5m
14 Max Pacioretty  LW  34     1 x $1.5m
15Max Domi  C/LW  28            5 x $4.75m
16 Ivan Barbashev  LW  27      4 x $4.2m
17 Scott Mayfield  RD  30        3 x $3.75m
18 Frederik Andersen  G  33    2 x $4m
19 Evgenii Dadonov  RW  34    1 x $1.9m
20 Connor Brown  RW  29        4 x $3.3m
21 Carson Soucy  LD  28            3 x $2.5m
22 Radko Gudas  RD  33             3 x $3.3m
23 Erik Haula C/LW  32               3 x $3.5m
24 Matt Dumba  RD  28               3 x $4.4m
25 Adin Hill G 27                          2 x $3.3m
26 Joonas Korpisalo G  29         2 x $2.6m
27 Semyon Varlamov  G  35       2 x $2.75m
28 Alex Kerfoot LW/RW  28        4 x $3.5m
29 Shayne Gostisbehere LD 30   4 x $4.8m
30 Luke Schenn RD  33                 1 x $1.6m
31 Garnet Hathaway RW 31           4 x $2m
32Jason Zucker LW  31                  5 x $5.4m
33 John Klingberg  RD  30              3 x $4.6m
34 James van Riemsdyk LW/RW 34   1 x $1.8m
35 Gustav Nyquist LW 33                    2 x $3.2m
36 Pierre Engvall RW 27                      4 x $4.1m
37 David Kampf  C  28                         2 x $1.8m
38 Connor Clifton RD 27                      2 x $1.75m
39 Evan Rodrigues C  29                     3 x $3.7m
40 Tomas Tatar LW 32                        3 x $3.3m
41 Ian Cole LD  34                               2 x $2.75m
42 Nick Foligno C/LW  35                   1 x $1.2m
43  Jesper Fast  RW 31                       2 x $2.3m
44  Nick Bjugstad C 30                        2 x $2.3m
45 Erik Gustafsson LD 31                    3 x $3.4m
46 Justin Holl RD 31  TOR                    3 x $3m
47 Sean Monahan C 28                        1 x $2m
48Jonathan Drouin C/LW  28               1 x $2m
49 Teddy Blueger C 28                         2 x $1.1m
50 Corey Perry RW  38                           1 x $850k
51  Noel Acciara   RW 31                         2 x $1.5m

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1

@Crusader1969

Based on your list and based on how KA looks at UFAs

G - Andersen or Hill, although my guess is LV retains Hill

D - Orlov for the reasons I’ve mentioned earlier, but if KA isn’t interested in long-term, Soucey, Schenn and Clifton top the list. Gavrikov brings good things as well, but again he’s a LHD and I doubt KA wants someone here for 5 years that isn’t one of his guys.

F - Haula is certainly on my list as is Barbashev, but Ivthink we’ll see forwards out not in.

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Im going after:
1) Graves
2) Andersen or Hill
3) Hathaway

100% behind Graves. I hope both sides have interest and make it work. There needs to be a plan B,C,D,E and F if he doesn’t want to be here. Besides, I think they should get 2 Dmen in the 4/5 range.

Andersen brings some of the experience and mentorship aspect that Anderson had. Two strikes against him are that he hasn’t had any playoff success and seems to get hurt a lot. Not Matt Murray injury level but almost Bogo like. I would prefer Varlamov as a UFA.

Hill was thought of as a good prospect a few years ago. He hasn’t had much opportunity until these playoffs and he has done well. Winning a Cup would raise his profile and salary. Hindsight is 20/20 but KA should’ve got him instead of Comrie.

I think the goalie situation is going to have the biggest impact this off season.

Running it back with Levi/Comrie/UPL carries the most risk as all three are unproven. This is the simplest way to go and KA doesn’t have to spend extra money or assets on the position. I doubt he wants a three headed goalie again so one of them will be exposed to trade or waivers unless Levi is sent down. Waivers is the simplest way to unload Comrie/UPL but it is an asset lost for nothing. UPL could turn into something useful while Comrie could be a decent backup.

I prefer signing or trading for a proven veteran 1A or 1B. This would fill a hole that cost the team a playoff berth. Training camp would be a battle to be goalie X’s partner. The downside of this is possibly losing Comrie and UPL for nothing. One or both may have trade value or be a part of a Hellebuyck type trade. Again, Levi may not have a great camp and be sent down, preventing the loss of one goalie.

This is where KA may have to be a tough business executive and admit his goalies haven’t been good enough. Bring in Hellebuyck, Andersen, Varlamov, Hill to mentor and challenge Levi. Get rid of Comrie and send down UPL. If he gets claimed sign another undrafted prospect like Milic or Suchanek. I know both of them might get drafted but there are probably a few more at this age and talent level.

Forward is not as big of an issue for me. Running back the same group minus Hinestroza would probably lead to a playoff berth if the goaltending improves. I want to move on from KO and Girgs but I can live with their return. Savoie gets a look and could stick around until World Juniors. Rousek or Kulich battle for one spot while a playoff savvy vet is brought in. Compher, Hathaway, Killorn and Haula fit this need. A guy like Killorn has been a go to PKer for a long time while Haula is a good faceoff guy.

My two cents.

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Crusader1969

Based on your list and based on how KA looks at UFAs

G - Andersen or Hill, although my guess is LV retains Hill

D - Orlov for the reasons I’ve mentioned earlier, but if KA isn’t interested in long-term, Soucey, Schenn and Clifton top the list. Gavrikov brings good things as well, but again he’s a LHD and I doubt KA wants someone here for 5 years that isn’t one of his guys.

F - Haula is certainly on my list as is Barbashev, but Ivthink we’ll see forwards out not in.

Clifton plays a Physical game , Wish he was a couple of inches taller  

My hope is that Dahlin will one day be the Small one of the Sabres Top 6 at 6'3 210lbs

Defence: Goudas or Clifton

Goal: Andersen, Hill, or Varlamov

Centre: Haula or Compher

If possible, I would like a line-up where Girgensons and Okposo were the 13th and 14th forwards.  I am assuming Savoie is in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Defence: Goudas or Clifton

Goal: Andersen, Hill, or Varlamov

Centre: Haula or Compher

If possible, I would like a line-up where Girgensons and Okposo were the 13th and 14th forwards.  I am assuming Savoie is in the NHL.

Compher would probably be out of their budget for a forward. Love the player though 

• Like (+1) 1

One idea from HFBoards which I like, given that their new GM does not want 7 pending UFAs on the roster: Jokiharu to Calgary for Chris Tanev.  Get Tanev a short extension.  I like Tanev and think that he would be great for Power.  Instead of Tanev, we could get Hanafin for similar reasons.  Add another D in FA.

Oh, and I would send both 2nds to Winnipeg for DeMelo.

• Like (+1) 1

Tanev is growing on me. I know he gets injured but elite defensively, Conroy says they need to get younger in Calgary. If they aren’t moving Hanafin then I hope they would explore Tanev for a year. Sort of a Teppo for Power.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

One idea from HFBoards which I like, given that their new GM does not want 7 pending UFAs on the roster: Jokiharu to Calgary for Chris Tanev.  Get Tanev a short extension.  I like Tanev and think that he would be great for Power.  Instead of Tanev, we could get Hanafin for similar reasons.  Add another D in FA.

Oh, and I would send both 2nds to Winnipeg for DeMelo.

I really think Calgary is a team the Sabres should be contacting 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.