Greenway     Jost     Peterka

extra:  Krebs  Rosen

Dahlin   Samulesson

Power  Graves  (UFA)

Jokiharju   Stillman

Lyubushkin   Johnson/Clague

Levi          Raanta or Hill (UFA's)

Comrie Rochester Vet backup

Meier isn’t a UFA. He will be an RFA for NJ after the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk where you get the idea of him being a bad person from. Is it perhaps just the name? Anyway, to your question of how team mates feel.......

idk about this character bs, I just know he has been outstanding in Boston and if they win the cup he might very well be a big part of that. Exactly the type of player we need. 

I agree,  unless you are in the room , you never really know the truth    

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

My dream offseason:

Sign compher and Freddy andersen and one of graves/Mayfield

Trade for hanifin 

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Mitts-Compher-Savoie/Kulich

Z-Krebs-Greenway

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-Graves/Mayfield

Hanifin-Joki/Boosh

Stillman-Joki/Boosh

Levi

Andersen

I feel this thread can be closed since the perfect scenario has been laid out above  

its well thought out and reasonable 

Maybe it’s Jost vs Compher? otherwise it’s a perfect offseason if this can the fruition 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

My offseason plan:

• Take a break from hockey
  • Start reading Sabrespace again in September

Going to try my best to  Pretend buffalo is still in it so i dont get  Bothered a 1000 times  To get the pool ready for the grand kids.

And the beauty of dvr You can pretend the games on all the time.

Have a good summer

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk where you get the idea of him being a bad person from. Is it perhaps just the name? Anyway, to your question of how team mates feel.......

idk about this character bs, I just know he has been outstanding in Boston and if they win the cup he might very well be a big part of that. Exactly the type of player we need. 

I advocated for trading for him as a pure rental at the deadline to help the Sabres make the playoffs. No one seemed to agree with me.

Bertuzzi was notable as the only guy who wouldn’t get the Covid vaccine, so he couldn’t travel to games in Canada.  That did not help his reputation. 
He has also had some injuries.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

<snip>

And @SwampD, you'll be happy to know that without signing a single contract in the off-season the Sabres are already over the cap floor thanks to the combined $15 million raises of Mule, Cozens and Tage kicking in. And Ben Bishop's contract is nowhere to be found

Capfriendly has them with $19 million to spend on re-signing or replacing Vinnie, Girgs, Kyle, Anderson and Jost. It will be very interesting to see how they will use it.

😂

Oh, Thank God.

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

What did Rousek do to get jj or Quinn Demoted 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

😂

Oh, Thank God.

Goes to the net, physical. No demotion, balancing the lines. I am not the coach but it is how I see Hockey. He wants Quinn Cozens Peterka fine, but not a lot of goals came from Quinn and Peterka, Cozens yes. More interested who makes Roster, had enough of Middlestat and Olfosson, need to move on from losing and Okoposo/Girg have seen a lot.

If you agree with the players I selected, show how you would use them.

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Meier isn’t a UFA. He will be an RFA for NJ after the season.

Wouldn't stop me from arranging a trade or giving a Contract that can't be matched. We need more fire power to stop those games we don't score. Top line doesn't score Sabres are usually in trouble. We won't fix all defensive problems because some of those problems come from who Dahlin is.

Hmmm settle on a cottage small lake house, go fishing, finish above garage, cut maple slabs, go to a few concerts, plant garden, finish making drawers for under son's bed, play beer league hockey,  work too much... I owe, save for a new truck... probably forgetting a few things...

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I feel this thread can be closed since the perfect scenario has been laid out above  

its well thought out and reasonable 

Maybe it’s Jost vs Compher? otherwise it’s a perfect offseason if this can the fruition 

Prefer Graves to Mayfield. I'd like to see Rousek get a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Two or less said:

Interesting that you wrote down coaching. I'm all in on Donny G, but i am not sold on Marty Wilford. I wish they had a more proven coach with him on the bench. But, the guy i'm wondering about is Mike Bales. Highly touted goalie coach, but none of our goalies have improved under him. Ullmark leaves for Boston and becomes a world beater. UPL didn't establish himself at all under Biles. Comrie had injuries but also this season is a wash on him. Maybe i'm alone on this but it doesn't seem like Bales' job should be safe.

Your not alone, bench coaches need replacing. Granto has made a difference but defense, power play, penalty kill and Goaltending need to get better. Some is personnel like Power Play, Penalty Kill. UPL inconsistent, seems like Coaching.

Ullmark got hurt again, why Sabres moved on from him. Comrie now in same boat, gets hurt a lot.

20 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Wouldn't stop me from arranging a trade or giving a Contract that can't be matched. We need more fire power to stop those games we don't score. Top line doesn't score Sabres are usually in trouble. We won't fix all defensive problems because some of those problems come from who Dahlin is.

They could have went for him but didn’t. They aren’t going to do it now. They don’t want to pay another winger over $9 million.

I like the player but NJ gave up a lot for him and will extend him.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Only have to pay Dahlin this year, Powers will be next. Levi two years, Skinner can be gone in 3 years

Should be able to do Meier for 4-5 years at 6-7 mil, that is Okopso's money. If not go trade for a young winger with contract that fits and 25+ goals now. Cozens needs a proven scorer.

Guys will be cycling in/out with core as Contracts get too expensive, same problem Bills are having now.

Meier will be worth it!!!!!

We can go that route but unless we go all in I'm more inclined to spread the money around on mid level guys that fill holes and roles and let the homegrown talent we already have be the core with the (eventual) big salaries. 

This is why I'd go after a guy like Nosek. He's everything we wanted Cody Eakin to be but he wasn't. PK instantly improves. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TRIP65 said:

Goes to the net, physical. No demotion, balancing the lines. I am not the coach but it is how I see Hockey. He wants Quinn Cozens Peterka fine, but not a lot of goals came from Quinn and Peterka, Cozens yes. More interested who makes Roster, had enough of Middlestat and Olfosson, need to move on from losing and Okoposo/Girg have seen a lot.

If you agree with the players I selected, show how you would use them.

It was a rookie year they were adjusting.

I"ll tell you what dont be surprised when quinn hits 40g and JJ hitting 30.

Those 2 are going to explode next year 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It was a rookie year they were adjusting.

I"ll tell you what dont be surprised when quinn hits 40g and JJ hitting 30.

Those 2 are going to explode next year 

Quinn sees the ice a lot better than i thought, and has a pretty nice shot.  Good enough skater right now, and 

JJP is fast as hell and drives to the net.  He needs work on the all-around game, but i can't say i wasn't impressed with him.  

This is like... year 1 - of them learning the NHL game.  They disappeared for stretches, need to work on conditioning for backskating to help break up some of the easy crap we give up in the high slot.  But thats honestly an issue for all 4 lines.  

1 hour ago, TRIP65 said:

Your not alone, bench coaches need replacing. Granto has made a difference but defense, power play, penalty kill and Goaltending need to get better. Some is personnel like Power Play, Penalty Kill. UPL inconsistent, seems like Coaching.

To me "We should fire the assistant coaches" is the ultimate in fans mindlessly needing someone to blame.

Do you have any idea of what any of our assistant coaches actually did, or didn't do, to contribute to the issues you listed? Yet you want someone to lose their job?

My favourite example of this is the abysmal offence of the 2021 Sabres. The forwards coach of that team was Don Granato, someone who clearly has plenty of insight about how to generate offence.

I think what I like about Kevyn Adams is how he does not seem to be driven by finding people to blame, or to sacrifice; his focus is on support and solutions.

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To me "We should fire the assistant coaches" is the ultimate in fans mindlessly needing someone to blame.

Do you have any idea of what any of our assistant coaches actually did, or didn't do, to contribute to the issues you listed? Yet you want someone to lose their job?

My favourite example of this is the abysmal offence of the 2021 Sabres. The forwards coach of that team was Don Granato, someone who clearly has plenty of insight about how to generate offence.

I think what I like about Kevyn Adams is how he does not seem to be driven by finding people to blame, or to sacrifice; his focus is on support and solutions.

Personally don't want Willford canned at this point as a big part of the woes on D and on the PK can be attributed to the goaltending (primarily) and the focus on generating offense at nearly all times (secondarily).  

Am also good with bringing Bales back if he wants to come back. 

But, would need to hear a clear plan for how to improve the PP in '23-'24 before renewing the contract of either Ellis or the other guy that was an ECHL coach forever (whichever one was responsible for it).  Because that's been hot trash ever since Bob Wood left and the only reason it statistically didn't look horrible this year is the talent on the PP simply willed the 2 units to success for about 6 weeks towards the end of '22.

The entry is beyond horrible.  The structure is bad.  The movement is lacking.  etc, etc. 

There is too much talent for the PP to be this bad again next year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's great

The PK has been 77% or worse each of the last 3 years, down to 72.9% this year. How will he support this number to 80%+? When can we expect the solution search to be over

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.