Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Mark this day down.   We agree on something 

bertuzzi the player yes , the person no. Just doesn’t seem to fit the mole of person the Sabres want to bring in.   Though, you never know how well he is really liked in the dressing room.  Teammates could live him

you are also right on Savoie.  He will be a Sabre next season too 

He can go out west all i care once you get the Yzerman treatment you know not to touch him 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Listened to Marty and Duffer on Sabres Live.

Duffer is high on Ryan Graves as UFA Dman. Sounds like he is a big part of their PK which was very good. 
6’5” 220, he’s put up a few points, 100 in 302 games. Playoff experience with Colorado and now New Jersey.

Cap hit $3.167M. 28 years old next season.

This sounds is the kind of guy the Sabres could use in the 4-5 role. They could outbid anyone but KA probably avoids being saddled with big deals with the extensions coming up.

I would make a pitch to Graves and his agent.

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

If they sign him, I’ll try to forgive him for that ridiculous play he made stopping Skinners wrap around attempt last night 

Always an optimist but first time I’ve predicted playoffs in many years

I LOVE the idea of Graves.  But I don't think he can fit in with the team's cap plans.  He's 27 and about to hit his "cash-in" summer, currently making 3.2M against the cap.  He's going to command a healthy raise over that--maybe even double.  The Sabres have that, right?  Well, yes, but.  Dahlin comes up next, and then Power, and their agents will negotiate in part based upon what their teammates make.  "If Graves is making $6.2M, shouldn't Dahlin get 14?  Shouldn't Power get 8?"  is what I hear in my head, and it's scary.

If anyone knows where to get 2 or 3 more Samuelssons, please let Adams know.

Edited by Eleven

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure I see the connections among a UFA D, Olofsson, and a 2025 first round pick.

It's your turn again this year already?  I thought it was someone else.  (I am kidding.  From your keyboard to God's eyes.  And if they follow my master plan, you could well be right!)

Have been advocating using Olofsson as part of the package to land a 3/4D.  If that is available in FA, then convert him into a future asset.  Now that they're finally good enough to afford the luxury of a 1 dimensional player, they don't have room for him.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have been advocating using Olofsson as part of the package to land a 3/4D.  If that is available in FA, then convert him into a future asset.  Now that they're finally good enough to afford the luxury of a 1 dimensional player, they don't have room for him.

Ah ok now it makes sense, and I agree.

Edited by Eleven

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I LOVE the idea of Graves.  But I don't think he can fit in with the team's cap plans.  He's 27 and about to hit his "cash-in" summer, currently making 3.2M against the cap.  He's going to command a healthy raise over that--maybe even double.  The Sabres have that, right?  Well, yes, but.  Dahlin comes up next, and then Power, and their agents will negotiate in part based upon what their teammates make.  "If Graves is making $6.2M, shouldn't Dahlin get 14?  Shouldn't Power get 8?"  is what I hear in my head, and it's scary.

This guy and Samuelsson are very similar.

Graves has averaged about 19.5 minutes per game over the last 4 years. That sounds like a solid 4D.

I don’t think he would get $6M but someone may offer $4.5M. Most teams are tight to the cap and it doesn’t sound like much of an increase this year, which may end up being a buyer’s market. GMs seem to find a way out of some bad deals, sending them to the desert, so some $ may be freed up.

KA should have his ear to the ground on this guy, his agent (Alain Roy) represents Cozens and Bryson.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Graves has averaged about 19.5 minutes per game over the last 4 years. That sounds like a solid 4D.

I don’t think he would get $6M but someone may offer $4.5M. Most teams are tight to the cap and it doesn’t sound like much of an increase this year, which may end up being a buyer’s market. GMs seem to find a way out of some bad deals, sending them to the desert, so some $ may be freed up.

KA should have his ear to the ground on this guy, his agent (Alain Roy) represents Cozens and Bryson.

Gentlemen's bet on an over/under for Graves at 5.5?

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The bolded will also double the amount of defensemen available. Kevyn's going to wind up adding one even if he doesn't want to, so long as he is in the loop on league discussions

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Tyler Bertuzzi would never fit with this type of group hes not a culture guy .

And you're missing Savoie

You know, I would have said that about Bertuzzi but I've been watching all these Boston games and he isn't the player I thought he was. I figured they just got him as a 4th line net front big dumb body in case Foligno can't play but he's been incredibly good and seems team oriented. They have him on a line with Pasternak and not only does he go to the dirty areas he makes a lot of quick and smooth (often blind) passes right onto Pasternak's stick and often through traffic. Guy is a very good playmaker and he would fit here using Thompson as the sniper the same way. He has much better vision and awareness than I thought. 

I didn't forget Savoie, I'm just not into another development year. If he's quite good he takes the 3rd line center spot and if he's maybe but maybe not fully ready he's the first injury sub on the top lines. Kulich might also be there, Rousek, idk, but to me you get a deep call up roster and not just scrubs. Main point is I want to win and make the playoffs next year not wait for the year after. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Wasn't on my radar because I wasn't aware he was a pending UFA, but this makes a ton of sense. He's the right type of player.

$6 seems high to me. Ben Chiarot got the best D contract last year at $4.7, which was way high for a stay-at-home 2nd-pairing guy. $4/4 would seem to be the minimum though

Other pending UFAs who may fit the profile: Dumoulin, Severson, Gavrikov, Soucy, Gudas, Holl, Mikkola, Mayfield, Clifton, Schenn, Dehaan

It's also worth noting that the Devils picked up Graves for a 2nd because a cash-strapped Avs team couldn't afford to keep him. That happens when a team can't sign players they want to and either move that player, or someone else to make room. And, of course, there are teams who might be looking to shake things up.

Pending RFAs: Dunn, K'Andre Miller, Byram, Borgen, Bouchard, Bjornfot, Bahl, Fehervary, Peeke

Players on cash-tight teams: Ceci, Kulak (Edm needs to sign Bouchard), a Vegas D (holes at forward and goal, no cap space)

Possible shakeups: Tanev, Zadorov, Hanifan (all entering their last contract year with Cal), Roy, Walker (entering last year, LA has kids ready to move up) Dillon, Demelo (entering last year of contract,Jets have 5 guys over $3 million on blueline),

And @SwampD, you'll be happy to know that without signing a single contract in the off-season the Sabres are already over the cap floor thanks to the combined $15 million raises of Mule, Cozens and Tage kicking in. And Ben Bishop's contract is nowhere to be found

Capfriendly has them with $19 million to spend on re-signing or replacing Vinnie, Girgs, Kyle, Anderson and Jost. It will be very interesting to see how they will use it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:
6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

bertuzzi the player yes , the person no. Just doesn’t seem to fit the mole of person the Sabres want to bring in.   Though, you never know how well he is really liked in the dressing room.  Teammates could live him

idk where you get the idea of him being a bad person from. Is it perhaps just the name? Anyway, to your question of how team mates feel.......

idk about this character bs, I just know he has been outstanding in Boston and if they win the cup he might very well be a big part of that. Exactly the type of player we need. 

Pegula to Adams and Granto;  Playoffs Period

Granto, new Bench Coaches

Trade;      Middlestat while he is worth something, Olofsson,  UPL

Sign no UFA's on team

Tuch   Tage  Skinner

Meier (UFA)   Cozens     Rousek

Kulich       Savoie        Quinn

Greenway     Jost     Peterka

extra:  Krebs  Rosen

Dahlin   Samulesson

Power  Graves  (UFA)

Jokiharju   Stillman

Lyubushkin   Johnson/Clague

Levi          Raanta or Hill (UFA's)

Comrie Rochester Vet backup

Edited by TRIP65

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Meier would be good, but he's going to be expensive and in demand. Doubt it's viable. 

But who's killing penalties in that line up????

Dahlin  Samulesson Stillman Tuch      Power  Graves  Rousek  Greenway/Jost

Edited by TRIP65
  • dislike 1

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Meier would be good, but he's going to be expensive and in demand. Doubt it's viable. 

But who's killing penalties in that line up????

Only have to pay Dahlin this year, Powers will be next. Levi two years, Skinner can be gone in 3 years

Should be able to do Meier for 4-5 years at 6-7 mil, that is Okopso's money. If not go trade for a young winger with contract that fits and 25+ goals now. Cozens needs a proven scorer.

Guys will be cycling in/out with core as Contracts get too expensive, same problem Bills are having now.

Meier will be worth it!!!!!

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

PART IV:  COACHING

I'm sorry, but I really am not convinced about Granato.  There is no doubt that he's a good development coach, but is a development coach what the team needs to take the next step?  He really needs advice on how to manage personnel and tactics in the NHL, especially when the team gets behind in one game or hits a skid in several.  Even things that should be menial to an NHL coach--changing goalies in a blowout, taking a timeout when needed, etc.--seem to escape him.  If he is to remain HC, and I am not calling for his head here, he desperately needs an experienced assistant to whisper advice to him.  

Interesting that you wrote down coaching. I'm all in on Donny G, but i am not sold on Marty Wilford. I wish they had a more proven coach with him on the bench. But, the guy i'm wondering about is Mike Bales. Highly touted goalie coach, but none of our goalies have improved under him. Ullmark leaves for Boston and becomes a world beater. UPL didn't establish himself at all under Biles. Comrie had injuries but also this season is a wash on him. Maybe i'm alone on this but it doesn't seem like Bales' job should be safe.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.