Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

For me, the #1 priority is to acquire 2 veteran defensive defensemen with some grit and playoff experience.  I'm not against acquiring a veteran goaltender, but I do not think they should get rid of UPL.  Many NHL players and most goalies take a long time to develop and don't peak until their late 20's.  UPL is what, 24?  He can still get better.  Levi is a unicorn - next level talent at a young age - he's the exception, not the rule.  I'm OK with moving on from Comrie and/or having him play in Rochester.  If he has to clear waivers and someone else picks him up, so be it.  Acquiring an additional veteran foward with some grit and playoff experience will also be valuable.  If this team can improve the defense in their own end, the sky is the limit.  And to add, take care of Dahlin and Power's contracts.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 2

First order of business is locking up Dahlin and Power to long term contracts. Also Mitts is extended.

For me I have two free agent targets:

1) Varlamov. He is mid 30s and has been consistent at a position that sees many ebbs and flows each year. Overpay a bit on a 2 year deal for a 1A/1B situation. If not Freddie Andersen or Annti Raanta are secondary options.

2) Ryan Graves. He is 6’5, 220lbs and would be their 2nd Muel. He would solidify the 3rd pairing with Boosh. Good in his zone, good on the pk, will clear the net, has played well in NJ’s upscale system, has playoff experience. He checks so many boxes. 

The other area is top 4 dman.  This I look for through trade.  My assets are 2023 1st, Joker, UPL, VO at 50% retained, one of the 2nds, prospects not named Savoie, Kulich, Östlund.

Im going to look at a couple teams looking for change and having cap issues. First is Calgary. Huberdeau and Weegar’s big deals are kicking in and Lindholm has to be signed. Rasmus Andersson would be ideal but I don’t think they move him. Hanifin is the target. One year left on his deal. I need to be able to talk to his reps and make sure he is interested in extending and what that is. If those lineup then I trade for Hanifin. 2023 1st And Joker is my offer. Hanifin  is a LHD but with his skating I have no doubt him and Power can interchange sides.

If that doesn’t work out then I pivot to Vegas who are in cap he’ll yet again. My target is Shea Theodore. Again I offer the first and Joker or VO at 50% retained or a prospect not drafted in the first last year. Theodore can play both sides and is very mobile. Would work well in Buffalo’s system.

Up front I don’t do too much. Savoie might push his way into the team, same with Rousek. What Okposo wants to do is up to him. I am counting on big jumps for JJ and Quinn plus Mitts continuing his rise.

Skinner Tage Tuch

JJ Cozens Quinn

Greenway Mitts Savoie

Rousek Krebs Okposo/Girgs

Jost

Muel Dahlin

Power Hanifin/Theodore

Graves Boosh

Stillman

Varlamov

Levi

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Sabres draft picks are 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

There are several tradeable players as well.  

The situation:  The Sabres need defensive depth NOW.  Not in three years, when draft picks might materialize, but now.  They also need stability in net.

PART I:  BACKFILLING.

I know at a minimum, the Sabres organization needs:

G2 (from outside), G3 (UPL or Comrie and pray that one clears waivers or else they have to carry 3G), and possibly G4 (I haven't paid enough attention, but I suspect that Subban couldn't handle NHL duties in a pinch).

D6, D7, D8, D9 (for callups).

Vet checking F (to replace Okposo).

Scoring F appears to be okay for now, but they've got to look three or four years ahead there, too.

I would try to acquire G2 via UFA; if not, via trade.  D6-D9 can be lower-tier free agency signings or trades, as long as they are improvements on Bryson/Clague.   I would NOT count on any draft pick--including a hypothetical 2024 compensatory pick for Johnson--for these positions.  If a guy in Rochester is ready to fill these roles, fine.  The vet checking F is easily obtainable in free agency.

PART II:  TRADES

The Sabres have three returning goaltenders.  It should be obvious that Levi will make the team out of camp unless he's hurt; if it isn't, stop reading here, because that's the team's plan whether you like it or not.  One of those other two goaltenders, who are not quite solid enough to be the G2, can be traded.  Whichever of UPL/Comrie should be shipped off for a live player who is AAAA or NHL--if this needs to be part of a package, so be it.

The Sabres also have a surfeit of young scoring forwards; a banquet of riches that we have not seen in years.  There isn't room enough for all of them to make the roster over the next three years, and there likely isn't money to cover some of the older (but still young) ones when they become free agents.  Trade one or two, again in a package if necessary, and maybe get a D3 or D4 who can shift the other D down to D5 and D6.  (I'd trade Mittlestadt, but there are plenty of other options.)

PART III:  THE DRAFT

I would spend draft capital on forwards who are going to have to take the place of existing talent in three years, on one defenseman, maybe two (same reason), and of course I would spend one pick, somewhere, at G.

I might trade picks for proven talent, even a 1st.  This is a team that should break 100 points next year if the right moves are made, and it can find a way to build on that success later on.  

PART IV:  COACHING

I'm sorry, but I really am not convinced about Granato.  There is no doubt that he's a good development coach, but is a development coach what the team needs to take the next step?  He really needs advice on how to manage personnel and tactics in the NHL, especially when the team gets behind in one game or hits a skid in several.  Even things that should be menial to an NHL coach--changing goalies in a blowout, taking a timeout when needed, etc.--seem to escape him.  If he is to remain HC, and I am not calling for his head here, he desperately needs an experienced assistant to whisper advice to him.  

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

PART IV:  COACHING

I'm sorry, but I really am not convinced about Granato.  There is no doubt that he's a good development coach, but is a development coach what the team needs to take the next step?  He really needs advice on how to manage personnel and tactics in the NHL, especially when the team gets behind in one game or hits a skid in several.  Even things that should be menial to an NHL coach--changing goalies in a blowout, taking a timeout when needed, etc.--seem to escape him.  If he is to remain HC, and I am not calling for his head here, he desperately needs an experienced assistant to whisper advice to him.  

You and I don't agree on much, but I agree that DG needs help in the coaching department.  The defense and penalty kill should be better than they are even without different personnel.  That comes down to coaching. 

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

G2 (from outside), G3 (UPL or Comrie and pray that one clears waivers or else they have to carry 3G), and possibly G4 (I haven't paid enough attention, but I suspect that Subban couldn't handle NHL duties in a pinch). Agree here as well, although I think Subban is fine as a G4, but I'd prefer KA to sign a college UFA in an attempt to develop an eventual backup for Levi.

D6, D7, D8, D9 (for callups). Bush is your D6 and will return as will Stillman as the D7.  KA will sign another Clague type player or two for Rochester who can be recalled in a pinch.

Vet checking F (to replace Okposo). I fully agree, but who? I suggestted Hathaway from the Bruins.

Scoring F appears to be okay for now, but they've got to look three or four years ahead there, too.

I would try to acquire G2 via UFA; if not, via trade.  D6-D9 can be lower-tier free agency signings or trades, as long as they are improvements on Bryson/Clague.   I would NOT count on any draft pick--including a hypothetical 2024 compensatory pick for Johnson--for these positions.  If a guy in Rochester is ready to fill these roles, fine.  The vet checking F is easily obtainable in free agency.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

G2 (from outside), G3 (UPL or Comrie and pray that one clears waivers or else they have to carry 3G), and possibly G4 (I haven't paid enough attention, but I suspect that Subban couldn't handle NHL duties in a pinch). Agree here as well, although I think Subban is fine as a G4, but I'd prefer KA to sign a college UFA in an attempt to develop an eventual backup for Levi.

D6, D7, D8, D9 (for callups). Bush is your D6 and will return as will Stillman as the D7.  KA will sign another Clague type player or two for Rochester who can be recalled in a pinch.

Vet checking F (to replace Okposo). I fully agree, but who? I suggestted Hathaway from the Bruins.

Lybushkin is realistically my D5 though.  I see something in him that maybe others don't, I'll acknowledge that.  And if someone new pushes Jokiharu (whom I also like despite last night) down, and those two are somewhere in D5-7, I'm good with that.  

I don't mind at all if they sign a college UFA goalie AND draft one.  Goalies are the most tradeable commodity and you can never have too many.

As for the vet checking F, it doesn't really matter to me who it is, as long as the price is right.  We're talking about a guy who ideally gets 10-12 minutes per game.  

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Lybushkin is ideally my D5 though.  I see something in him that maybe others don't, I'll acknowledge that.  And if someone new pushes Jokiharu (whom I also like despite last night) down, and those two are somewhere in D5-7, I'm good with that.

Bush is not my favorite and either is Joki.  That said, I do believe that Joki and Bush could form a decent 3rd pairing.  My concern is that Bush and Joki were 2nd and 3rd in SH TOI and our PK was under 93% this season.  Goaltending was a huge factor, but so was lousy D play.  

Within this WGR link is a 20 min discussion about the Sabres's season and the future. It mirrors a lot of what is discussed here, such as the goalie situation before the season started and its post season approach in the offseason. Paul H also talked about Okposo and Girgs's future. In general, he agreed with the GM's decision to give the young players extensive playing time instead of bringing in veterans for a short term benefit. Good hockey talk. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Between being at the baseball diamond with my son, and the soccer field with my daughter, I've got three Adirondack trips planned. The first is campground camping with my brother's family. The second is in a cottage with my wife and kids. Lastly, some friends and I are doing 3 days of backcountry camping in a yet to be determined spot.

As a Canadian in Niagara, I strongly believe the ADK is the best spot in the world within a tank of gas from my house. My wife and I took our first ever vacation together in Lake Placid back when we were dating and it's been our spiritual second home ever since.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There are a LOT of UFA defenseman available that fit what we'd like in that 4D role. More than I ever remember seeing. We should definitely be able to snag one.

If that's the case, then trade Olofsson for a '25 1st rounder and hope the team he goes to bottoms out hard over the next 2 years.

Listened to Marty and Duffer on Sabres Live.

Duffer is high on Ryan Graves as UFA Dman. Sounds like he is a big part of their PK which was very good. 
6’5” 220, he’s put up a few points, 100 in 302 games. Playoff experience with Colorado and now New Jersey.

Cap hit $3.167M. 28 years old next season.

This sounds is the kind of guy the Sabres could use in the 4-5 role. They could outbid anyone but KA probably avoids being saddled with big deals with the extensions coming up.

I would make a pitch to Graves and his agent.

• Like (+1) 3

I need to never see Bryson again. He has another year left so a trade would be needed. Pay someone a 7th or whatever to get him out of here. KO should slide into a front office role. Joker should be part of a trade for his replacement. Trade for a veteran goalie who can play 30 games next year and I'm good.

On the coaching front, upgrade the defensive coach and whoever is in charge of the PK.

There are a number of different ways to take this team and turn it into a solid playoff team. You have to spend in free agency though and they won't. But for the sake of the dream:

One option:

Skinner-Mitts-Tuch

Thompson- Cozens- BERTUZZI

Peterka-Krebs-Quinn

WOOD - NOSEK - HATHAWAY

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-ORLOV

CLIFTON-Lybushkin

Levi-ANDERSEN

Obviously, it would never happen but ANY of those pieces would be great. Yes, I have several players currently on the Bruins here but they are all FAs and there is no way the Bruins can afford to keep them all, if any of them next year. 

Secondary Options:

Girgensens stays on the 4th line. Greenway stays somewhere. 

COMPHER is another guy I would target as 3C or 4C depending on how you structure it. 

Goalie could be VARLAMOV or JARRY . 

Similar players in style for the same positions as plan C options, but that line up above could win the division next year. 

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There are a number of different ways to take this team and turn it into a solid playoff team. You have to spend in free agency though and they won't. But for the sake of the dream:

One option:

Skinner-Mitts-Tuch

Thompson- Cozens- BERTUZZI

Peterka-Krebs-Quinn

WOOD - NOSEK - HATHAWAY

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-ORLOV

CLIFTON-Lybushkin

Levi-ANDERSEN

Obviously, it would never happen but ANY of those pieces would be great. Yes, I have several players currently on the Bruins here but they are all FAs and there is no way the Bruins can afford to keep them all, if any of them next year. 

Secondary Options:

Girgensens stays on the 4th line. Greenway stays somewhere. 

COMPHER is another guy I would target as 3C or 4C depending on how you structure it. 

Goalie could be VARLAMOV or JARRY . 

Similar players in style for the same positions as plan C options, but that line up above could win the division next year. 

Tyler Bertuzzi would never fit with this type of group hes not a culture guy .

And you're missing Savoie

Edited by Buffalonill

8 hours ago, Weave said:

I would sit down with KA, tell him that not making the playoffs next season and several seasons after is unacceptable, and unshackle him to do what he thinks best to make that happen.

And give him a public vote of confidence.

I have good news to share. 

Not only will they make the playoffs next season , they will start a playoff streak that will last 10-12 years  

oh I and won’t forget to mention the Stanley Cups that they win

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

If that's the case, then trade Olofsson for a '25 1st rounder and hope the team he goes to bottoms out hard over the next 2 years.

I'm not sure I see the connections among a UFA D, Olofsson, and a 2025 first round pick.

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

I have good news to share. 

Not only will they make the playoffs next season , they will start a playoff streak that will last 10-12 years  

oh I and won’t forget to mention the Stanley Cups that they win

It's your turn again this year already?  I thought it was someone else.  (I am kidding.  From your keyboard to God's eyes.  And if they follow my master plan, you could well be right!)

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Listened to Marty and Duffer on Sabres Live.

Duffer is high on Ryan Graves as UFA Dman. Sounds like he is a big part of their PK which was very good. 
6’5” 220, he’s put up a few points, 100 in 302 games. Playoff experience with Colorado and now New Jersey.

Cap hit $3.167M. 28 years old next season.

This sounds is the kind of guy the Sabres could use in the 4-5 role. They could outbid anyone but KA probably avoids being saddled with big deals with the extensions coming up.

I would make a pitch to Graves and his agent.

If they sign him, I’ll try to forgive him for that ridiculous play he made stopping Skinners wrap around attempt last night 

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure I see the connections among a UFA D, Olofsson, and a 2025 first round pick.

It's your turn again this year already?  I thought it was someone else.  (I am kidding.  From your keyboard to God's eyes.  And if they follow my master plan, you could well be right!)

Always an optimist but first time I’ve predicted playoffs in many years

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Tyler Bertuzzi would never fit with this type of group hes not a culture guy .

And you're missing Savoie

Mark this day down.   We agree on something 

bertuzzi the player yes , the person no. Just doesn’t seem to fit the mole of person the Sabres want to bring in.   Though, you never know how well he is really liked in the dressing room.  Teammates could live him

you are also right on Savoie.  He will be a Sabre next season too 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.