Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

A lot of you saying today Adams did nothing or I know he will do nothing this summer. So take over the role and get it down in writing. What would you do this summer to move this team forward. And be specific, who are you acquiring, what assets are you using to acquire them and what do you do when the free agent or GM of the other team says no?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Need to trade for 4th Dman. Joker is not that. Will prob need to give of some forward assets for it. We have them to trade fortunately.

Toughness/Speed/Sandpaper in bottom 6. We are an easy team to play against. Dahlin is run at too many times with no response. KA knows this and Stillman and Greeway were first steps in addressing this. To be clear i am not advocating the we must fight every time there is a good clean hit. I hate that. Letting teams run Dahlin all night is not acceptable.

I think we are fine on goalies. IF we improve bottom 6 and get a number 4dman the goalies will improve due to better play in front of them.

This has been a great year for Sabres IMO. We went to 80th game in contention. Players like Tuch, Couzens, Power, Mule made big strides. Dahlin became all world. Thompson proved he was not a fluke. Quinn and Peterka SB better next year. They will be stronger than this year and hopefully will improve after offseason of training and reflection. We have good forward in the minors which will breed competition for spots. When is last time we had real competition for spots with good NHL caliber players? Been a long time.

Eagerly anticipating this offseason.

I’m going to be seriously invested in stats-watching the final two games, hoping the team and individuals can push some good numbers even higher.

Im going to watch the locker-room cleanout stuff intently looking for signs that “unfinished business” will become the theme of the summer.

I’ll keep an eye on the world championships, the farm team, and on other prospects, but mostly take a step back from Sabrespace starting next week. Head to Europe for a nice vacation, work in my yard and finish up a renovation project. Don’t expect I’ll be watching much hockey.

I’ll pick up the iPad again for the draft and free agency, hoping Adams will stay the course, and is able to continue his run of extending key players to team-friendly contracts, stay away from flashy moves, and augment this emerging team with a few sensible pieces.

Then Im going to get outside, enjoy the Vancouver Island sunshine and see you all for prospects camp. It’ll be nice not having to invest so much time this summer fixing the Sabres. 😘

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I would sit down with KA, tell him that not making the playoffs next season and several seasons after is unacceptable, and unshackle him to do what he thinks best to make that happen.

And give him a public vote of confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m going to be seriously invested in stats-watching the final two games, hoping the team and individuals can push some good numbers even higher.

Im going to watch the locker-room cleanout stuff intently looking for signs that “unfinished business” will become the theme of the summer.

I’ll keep an eye on the world championships, the farm team, and on other prospects, but mostly take a step back from Sabrespace starting next week. Head to Europe for a nice vacation, work in my yard and finish up a renovation project. Don’t expect I’ll be watching much hockey.

I’ll pick up the iPad again for the draft and free agency, hoping Adams will stay the course, and is able to continue his run of extending key players to team-friendly contracts, stay away from flashy moves, and augment this emerging team with a few sensible pieces.

Then Im going to get outside, enjoy the Vancouver Island sunshine and see you all for prospects camp. It’ll be nice not having to invest so much time this summer fixing the Sabres. 😘

Well said.

The Amerks playoffs will be on my radar. Savoie, Nadeau, Komarov and Lindgren can win their league championships and a Memorial Cup. I follow that even when there are no Sabres prospects involved.

I will start to look more closely at draft lists, thinking the Sabres will be lucky #13. I think KA makes a trade or two at the draft, one of them for a 4D. It may cost the first rounder or moving to a lower pick but this is an area of need. Hanifin has been mentioned and Calgary will probably make some moves after a disappointing season.

The World Championships interest me as well. Cozens broke out there last year and he could return bringing Levi, Power and maybe Quinn. Other nations will ask Sabres to join, Peterka and Kulich could be possibilities.

UFA season will be quiet for KA but I want him to make a push for Varlamov. This could be his last chance to get 40+ games and he can play for a club on the cusp of something good. Let him duke it out with Levi. KA will be honest with UPL/Comrie and let them compete in camp but try to move one of them. The other will be at risk of a waiver claim.

Like the Sabres I will watch playoff hockey and get in some rounds of golf. I will probably be here every second day to stay current.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres are 4th in goals for and will be the only team on the top 12 in scoring to miss the playoffs.  Why? Because they have allowed the 6th most goals against and have a negative differential.  The areas of need are pretty obvious; goaltending, and better defense through both better defensemen, better coaching and forward commitment to two way play.  Fixing the PK will help as well. 

What I’d do would be different than KA and I’m going to stick with what I think KA’s approach will be.  

Step 1:  Cleaning out the dead weight.  We know what the organization thinks of Clague, VO, Vinnie, Comrie, UPL, Anderson, and Bryson.  They barely played down the stretch and I think all will not be returning next fall. Comrie might be the exception as the vet for Rochester.  

Step 2: We know he wants to upgrade the top 4 D.  He made a serious run at Chychrun and there will be a move like that this summer.  We are looking for a 27 to 30 year old vet with 2-3 years left on his deal.  This will likely be the only addition to the D in Buffalo.  Best non trade candidate is Orlov from Washington.  Trade candidates- Murphy (Chi), Poink (Wpg), Petersson (Pitt). 

Step 3:  A partner for Levi.  I expect as UFA sighing here, but a value trade is possible as well.  Varlamov, Andersen, Hill, Talbot, and Raanta are all available.  Hill is my top choice. 

Step 4: Create a shutdown 4th line.  I think KA re-signs Girgensons, Krebs centers the line and they bring in someone to replace KO.  Not my ideal, but the most likely scenario. What about Hathaway from Boston? 

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Cozens Quinn

Savoie Mitts Greenway

Girgensons Krebs Hathaway (Jost)

Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Petersson/Orlov

Jokiharju Lyubushkin (Stillman)

Hill Levi (Comrie)

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

I would sit down with KA, tell him that not making the playoffs next season and several seasons after is unacceptable, and unshackle him to do what he thinks best to make that happen.

And give him a public vote of confidence.

Doesn’t the GM always get fired after the public vote of confidence.

I think the competition for the forwards will be at an all-time high with the young players that have developed.  I would not sell the farm for a forward but would add depth to the Defense.  Goaltending seems to be improving with Levi and Subbans development in Rochester.  Add UPL and Comrie, the goaltending should be good enough.  Those goalies need playing time to stay sharp and continue developing.

Offseason plan, don't overcomplicate things:

1.)  Get Dahlin signed long term.

2.)Bring in 2-3 quality d-men. 

-HOPEFULLY on that is good enough to be a legit 2nd pair guy that can slot on your 2nd or 3rd pair. 

-Another one that is almost as good (2nd pair guy or a very good 3rd pair guy) that will be ok with competing for 3rd pair minutes.  ALL 4 guys outside of Dahlin and Power need to be at least decent on the PK, so you can rest Power and Dahlin on the PK so their minutes can be all even strength or PP.

-Finally, at least ONE legit NHL prospect for Rochester (maybe 2).  Johnson would appear to be that guy if you can get him.

3.)Goaltending has to be better next year, but I don't focus too much time/assets on that except for the below:

-Levi, UPL and Comrie all fight it out in training camp and the best 2 make the team, or...

-Levi, one of UPL or Comrie, and a mid-level free agent fight it out for the top 2 spots.

4.)Up front:

-Okposo hopefully will be gone.  I resign Girgensons for PK and the bottom line.

-VO?  I'm not in the 'trade him at all costs' camp.  If you trade him fine.  If you keep him around, you have a streaky 25 goal scorer available. That isn't worth nothing. BUT, I have gotten to the point that if someone else wants him for some kind of value (a 2nd rounder, part of a package that gets you a good D-man), go for it.

-Round up all the young guys in training camp and let them compete. Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, and the others.  No one gets a spot, but one or two are available for ANYONE who shows they progressed over the offseason and proves it in camp.

-Krebs, Quinn, Cozens, Peterka. They all showed progress this year. Give them specifics on what you want them to work on to be even better next year.  Cozens play away from the puck has to get a lot better.  Can Krebs get more pysical or faster? If not he needs to work on his anticipation and reaction time so he doesn't fall behind the play.  Stuff like that with the young guys.

So, nothing too specific, no big splashes (except for maybe the D-man).  You make a handful of quality additions, don't think any of the young guys are or are not going to make the team.  Give yourself enough options and on the exit interviews you tell the young guys how you want them to get better over the next few months and when training camp arrives, go after those roster spots.

Edited by mjd1001

1. Fix the PP and PK. The PK was terrible all year. It wasn't a personnel issue -- the system was simply bad. The PP might have been top 10 in the league, but they were really just riding an extremely hot PP streak from the beginning-midpoint of the year. Once teams began to prevent Tage's one timer it fell apart. They need to develop set plays on the PP other than Dahlin to Thompson. 

2. I don't want to see Bryson or Olofsson play another game for this team, probably ever. Even just last night I watched Bryson make 2-3 key mistakes that had a large impact on the game. He brings very little compared to how much of a liability he is. Olofsson is just bad at 5v5. I could justify keeping him if he was scoring on the PP, but he isn't. 

3. Bring in another goaltender. I don't want everything on Levi's shoulders next year. Ideally the situation would be a 1A 1B even split between Levi and this other goaltender.

4. Trade for/sign another solid defenseman.

• Like (+1) 1

I was looking at some AHL goaltending stats, not because the Sabres need one, but to see who was ready for an NHL job and push out a veteran.

Dustin Wolf is ready for NHL duty. 2.08 GAA, .932 SV% 41 wins vs 9 losses with 7 shutouts. Unfortunately he belongs to Calgary. I don’t want Matkstrom and Vladar has decent numbers for a backup, better than Markstrom’s. 

Vladar was 14/6 2.91 .895 with a non playoff team. He is 26 years old with 55 career NHL games. This smells too much like the Comrie situation last year.

Vladar could be part of a package for a Hanifin or Andersson trade with UPL, VO or Comrie + pick/prospect going the other way. I think they need to get a better option at G.

Saros was my #1 target but I don’t think they are ready to give Askarov the net.

Varlamov is an interesting UFA, he could be enticed with $$ and a chance to start for a team on the rise.

Hill from Vegas is interesting as well. 26 years old with 101 NHL games. 2.50 GAA.915 SV%.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

I totally agree with you. 

I was disagreeing that you thought the FO wouldn't be able to help themselves and will sign him. 

I think GMKA passes. 

Lots of people will disagree but i believe Pegula will use kanes name to get  Sell outs next years 

Hope im wrong though 

Edited by Buffalonill

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Lots of people will disagree but i believe Pegula will use kanes name to get  Sell out next years 

Hope im wrong though 

I am hoping we don't need it. The team showed enough this year that fans need to start showing back up. 

I no longer live in Buffalo, but I hope fans show up to send this team off for the season and say good bye to Anderson. They deserve it. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Lots of people will disagree but i believe Pegula will use kanes name to get  Sell out next years 

Hope im wrong though 

I really want nothing to do with Kane.

Injured or not, he is a shell of what he was.  I'm not sure if he fits in this locker room. I'm not sure next year, or for sure beyond that, some of your young guys might not be BETTER than Kake will be next year (certainly beyond).

Hes not solving your goaltening issue. He's not helping you allow less goals by his stellar backchecking and defensive play. Hes not going to elevate your penalty kill. And just WHO do you want him to take minutes away from on your Power Play?

I really, REALLY hope the Sabres pass on him.  Give up zero assets for him and even sign him for a vet minimum deal (which he likely won't do) and even then I just have zero desire to see him on this team over ANY of the young guys (even if they aren't 100% ready)

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I was looking at some AHL goaltending stats, not because the Sabres need one, but to see who was ready for an NHL job and push out a veteran.

Dustin Wolf is ready for NHL duty. 2.08 GAA, .932 SV% 41 wins vs 9 losses with 7 shutouts. Unfortunately he belongs to Calgary. I don’t want Matkstrom and Vladar has decent numbers for a backup, better than Markstrom’s. 

Vladar was 14/6 2.91 .895 with a non playoff team. He is 26 years old with 55 career NHL games. This smells too much like the Comrie situation last year.

Vladar could be part of a package for a Hanifin or Andersson trade with UPL, VO or Comrie + pick/prospect going the other way. I think they need to get a better option at G.

Saros was my #1 target but I don’t think they are ready to give Askarov the net.

Varlamov is an interesting UFA, he could be enticed with $$ and a chance to start for a team on the rise.

Hill from Vegas is interesting as well. 26 years old with 101 NHL games. 2.50 GAA.915 SV%.

Comries AHL stats were 910 average save percentage.  Sabres could use that.

My ideal offseason would look like this:

Must do:

1)  Trade VO.  The second half of the season has clearly indicated he isn't part of the long term picture.  Get the guy off the payroll/roster and trade him to a team that will utilize him.

2)  Extend Dahlin and Power.  Nuff said.

One step below "must do":

1)  Trade UPL.  He has trade value unlike Comrie, get something out of him to un-crowd the goalie situation

2)  Extend Mittelstadt.  He's looked good the second half and shouldn't break the bank

3)  Sign another top 4 capable defenseman

Less important:

1)  Rework the fourth line:  This is the hard one.  I'm not really 100% sure about what to do with KO/Girgs.  My suspicion is that we will let one walk, and it will probably be Girgs.  But since this is about what I want and what I think is best for the team, we are letting both walk.  Get 2 decent 2-way players that can play the PK and let Jost walk.  Krebs will continue on the fourth line, filling in for injuries at center on the above lines.  

2)  Work Savoie into the fold.  Heck of a season from the guy in the minors, he has nothing left to prove down there.  I would give Kulich/Rosen another year down in the AHL. 

3)  Vet goalie.  An older goalie in the Craig Anderson mold.  Someone to help mentor Levi and play like 40 games the first year and fade in any further years.  Release Comrie and let another team pick him up.  

4)  Let Clague walk.  Bryson I don't really care what you do with, so long as he is pushed far enough down the depth chart that we won't see him unless it's an emergency.  

This leaves the team looking like this:

Forwards:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Greenway - Mitts - Savoie

FA - Krebs - FA

Rousek is the thirteenth forward

Defense:

Samuelson - Dahlin

Power - FA

Stillman - Jokiharju

Lyubushkin in the seventh defenseman

Goalie:

Levi - FA

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

My ideal offseason would look like this:

Must do:

1)  Trade VO.  The second half of the season has clearly indicated he isn't part of the long term picture.  Get the guy off the payroll/roster and trade him to a team that will utilize him.

2)  Extend Dahlin and Power.  Nuff said.

One step below "must do":

1)  Trade UPL.  He has trade value unlike Comrie, get something out of him to un-crowd the goalie situation

2)  Extend Mittelstadt.  He's looked good the second half and shouldn't break the bank

3)  Sign another top 4 capable defenseman

Less important:

1)  Rework the fourth line:  This is the hard one.  I'm not really 100% sure about what to do with KO/Girgs.  My suspicion is that we will let one walk, and it will probably be Girgs.  But since this is about what I want and what I think is best for the team, we are letting both walk.  Get 2 decent 2-way players that can play the PK and let Jost walk.  Krebs will continue on the fourth line, filling in for injuries at center on the above lines.  

2)  Work Savoie into the fold.  Heck of a season from the guy in the minors, he has nothing left to prove down there.  I would give Kulich/Rosen another year down in the AHL. 

3)  Vet goalie.  An older goalie in the Craig Anderson mold.  Someone to help mentor Levi and play like 40 games the first year and fade in any further years.  Release Comrie and let another team pick him up.  

4)  Let Clague walk.  Bryson I don't really care what you do with, so long as he is pushed far enough down the depth chart that we won't see him unless it's an emergency.  

This leaves the team looking like this:

Forwards:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Greenway - Mitts - Savoie

FA - Krebs - FA

Rousek is the thirteenth forward

Defense:

Samuelson - Dahlin

Power - FA

Stillman - Jokiharju

Lyubushkin in the seventh defenseman

Goalie:

Levi - FA

I agree with a lot of this. The only thing is that I suspect KO is out of here and that you really aren't going to find a replacement for Girgensons at the right price other than Girgensons himself. I don't know off hand who you fill out the 4th line with but that leaves only one spot to fill. For the last roster spot I think they should find a capable D man and carry 2 D men extra for injuries (a rotation of Boosh, Stillman, Joki).

• dislike 1

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

My dream offseason:

Sign compher and Freddy andersen and one of graves/Mayfield

Trade for hanifin 

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Mitts-Compher-Savoie/Kulich

Z-Krebs-Greenway

Samuelsson-Dahlin

Power-Graves/Mayfield

Hanifin-Joki/Boosh

Stillman-Joki/Boosh

Levi

Andersen

I disagree with this he deserves to be on the 3rd line with some talent not on the 4th 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.