Should Adams bring in a starter and make Levi the backup in 23/24?

LGR4GM

On 4/12/2023 at 12:08 PM, SwampD said:

Where is this wondrous shopping market where GMs just magically pick up starting goaltenders?

Called UFA's, look at Ullmark for Boston

Raanta or Hill

On 4/12/2023 at 12:59 PM, LGR4GM said:

It is not 2 separate questions. Should Adams bring in a legit #1 goalie like Saros or not? 

The two questions are Levi starter? and who is the 2nd Goaltender?

First can't be answered till you know who the 2nd Goaltender is.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, LTS said:

Devon Levi has a sample size of a handful of games.  That's true for fans just as much as its true for other teams.  He shows a ton of promise, but the trend is generally that it gets worse before it gets better.

I give a little credit to the notion that the Sabres built a roster so that Levi would sign.  He's signed.  At this point the kid needs to really earn and this team needs the best competition it can get.

They should absolutely go sign someone who can be a starting goaltender... if one is available.

I see people who want to annoint Levi here but in other threads talk about how "nothing is a given for next season".. damn right.  Nothing is a given.  Go get another goalie.

Do you know Levi got Mike Richter Award for Best Goalie two years in a row.

That no goalie in NCAA history has ever done that.

Levi got Hobie Baker award two years in a row?

This is a Special Goalie. He deserves at least 41 games next year.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, Eleven said:

That sounds like another Comrie, though.  If they're going to do something (and they should), I'd prefer that they do Something.

Comrie had 21 games and 24 at time, injuried at times. Hill has over 100 games NHL and 27.

NOT comparable.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:26 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Levi, a mid level veteran, and i want to keep UPL around. Luuka got fed to the wolves this year, it was up and down but there were flashes. Improve the defense and develop the guy. Teams need 2 starters anyways, hes a great tool if he develops, trade bait, or a quality #2. Or get him down in Roch, let Levi and the vet do the heavy lifting

Young Goalies available who are better in UFA's. Has 1 year left. Needs to GO.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:43 PM, That Aud Smell said:

I don't totally disagree with the UPL Reclamation Project. 

I can't tell whether it's a lack of essential instincts or a matter of lost confidence, but there were stretches of play this year where, in watching him, I just kept thinking to myself "he looks like he doesn't expect to stop the puck." And then Levi showed up and I was like "yuh, that's what it looks like when the goalie expects to stop the puck."

UPL can't handle rebounds at all

UPL can't do Shoot Outs

Glove is average, no leg kick and side to side after watching Levi, way too slow.

He is BIG, that is it, so 1st shot hits him rebounds and hence why he won't make it.

Had a few shutouts going but NEVER can close them out.

Too many high goal games too.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Comrie had 21 games and 24 at time, injuried at times. Hill has over 100 games NHL and 27.

NOT comparable.

6 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Young Goalies available who are better in UFA's. Has 1 year left. Needs to GO.

Just now, TRIP65 said:

UPL can't do Shoot Outs

Glove is average, no leg kick and side to side after watching Levi, way too slow.

He is BIG, that is it, so 1st shot hits him rebounds and hence why he won't make it.

18 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

The two questions are Levi starter? and who is the 2nd Goaltender?

First can't be answered till you know who the 2nd Goaltender is.

21 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Called UFA's, look at Ullmark for Boston

Raanta or Hill

Found Hill's agent...

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

UPL can't do Shoot Outs

I did call it a reclamation project.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

I've been convinced for a while now that once Levi takes the net over it will be his for a long time.

I didn't really expect that to happen this year and I hope that doesn't derail the plan in a year or two.

But if he is "that guy," the other guy becomes way less important. As in either Comrie or Luukkonnen are fine for 25 handpicked games.

They only become issues if Levi is not "that guy."

Who outside of Buffalo remembers Ryan Miller's backup?

UPL could ruin your chance at Playoffs. How important now were the two BIG losing streaks!!!! Don't blame Comrie, he was 5-1-1 down the stretch from last Injury.

23 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Quick is an interesting idea.   Kinda the same mole as Levi  

it sucks there is no easy way to get UPL back to Rochester   He will be the back up or traded 

If traded , they better find another goalie prospect cause the cupboard will be pretty bare 

You have a 21 year old Goalie, that is 10+ years. How bare is it? Goalie young now does nothing, never see the Field for 6 years or more. We need 5+ year NHL Goal tenders as backups for 7-8 years. 5 years from now worry about drafting or getting the next Levi ready.

7 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

Bringing in a vet goalie is also a risk.  How many goalies are traded for or purchased as free agents and do not live up to their billing?  It happens.  Improve the D, and the goalies will flourish.

If a Goalie for 5 years or more is 2.5 and .91, 25-28 years old they usually don't suddenly suck. Off year would be 2.75 .89. I can except that as a Backup. Your team plays defense more knowing this. A Veteran team will adapt!

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expect most all Sabres fans would take that trade.  Which makes it extremely unlikely Nashville would make it.

Can't see Nashville trading him for anything less than one of Savoie or Kulich and an unprotected 1st.  And can't see Adams offering that after having watched Levi in his 6 games to date.

That is fine, we don't NEED him. Go get Raanta, Hill or some of the other names mentioned.

Our 1st pick will be Top 15. Peterka is a HIGH valued Prospect still. Middlestat has become a Top 6 player for someone else. We have too many Prospects. Have to give 1st, Peterka, Krebs. We have players to move up or can get players.

Who has better???? All players acquired at trade deadline went for draft picks like Timo.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Doubt Adams would do that.  

Then he should be fired!

See protecting Savoie and Kulich, very high ceiling. Peterka had a year, fine player. Will be good, maybe great but I don't see that happening before Savoie or Kulich. Quinn is almost there, Krebs is NOT. Sabres don't have 2-3 years. Need to be in Playoffs next year and NOT a quick bounce out.

Clock is running, just like Josh, on Dahlin, Tage, Tuch, Skinner. At some point someone moves on to sign Kulich Levi, Savoie, Quinn.

Sabres are there. Time to become a WINNER!

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I did call it a reclamation project.

Complete remake 🙂

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And he was 0-5-0 the 5 games before that and 9-9-1 overall. UPL was 17-11-4.

Neither goalie is going to ruin our chances of the playoffs in a backup role, assuming Levi can win 30+ games in 50+ starts.

The question is do you trust Levi to be up to that?

UPL won games when we scored 4 or more. Win with almost anyone doing that. The problem was when he needed to Stop a scoring team to 1-3 goals. Couldn't do it, can't win a SO. UPL part of the Goalies, Expect 13 years no playoffs. What makes you think something changes?, why risk it?

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Neither goalie is going to ruin our chances of the playoffs in a backup role, assuming Levi can win 30+ games in 50+ starts.

Also yes on Levi, best Goalie in NCCA past two years but I would get a Good Goalie to play with him that is 26-30 years old. Split games this year. Let Levi develop to a 70-80% games. Next year, if successful, goes to 50-55 games.

13 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

UPL could ruin your chance at Playoffs. How important now were the two BIG losing streaks!!!! Don't blame Comrie, he was 5-1-1 down the stretch from last Injury.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For me? No.  I need to see how he fairs through the grind of a season.  I need to see how he adjusts as players get film on him.  I need to see if he’s durable with NHL contact and shots.

I think you have to plan for him to be a 30-40 game goalie until his in season performance over a substantial number of games shows otherwise.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In 2008-09 Miller went 34-18-6 and we missed the playoffs because the team won just 5 of Lalime's 21 starts. 

I wouldn't bet on it happening but would still be nervous that Comrie or UPL do have the potential to ruin a playoff push

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

In 2008-09 Miller went 34-18-6 and we missed the playoffs because the team won just 5 of Lalime's 21 starts. 

I wouldn't bet on it happening but would still be nervous that Comrie or UPL do have the potential to ruin a playoff push

Oh man, I forgot all about Lalime.

I think if Levi had an established NHL history you could make a case for riding him like a mule and who gives a ***** about the backup, but thats a pretty risky play if the goal is playoffs, especially with a Calder candidate as your starter.

I still think KA will run with the hydra we have currently.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wouldn't bet on it happening but would still be nervous that Comrie or goalUPL do have the potential to ruin a playoff push

Not that Lalime was good, but remember that Vanek got injured in that span and the goal scoring dried up.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:20 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I believe UPL has more trade value than Comrie.  However, trade one or trade both, either result is ok by me.

As to trading for a starter, I sincerely doubt given KA's limited history that he is going to trade a 1st rd pick or even a high 2nd rd pick for a starter.  Levi is his guy, but I do think he'll sign or acquire a goalie with NHL experience.  Varlamov, Talbot, etc... are easy to picture in that role, but KA has stated he wants acquired players in their prime who could be here awhile.   My prime candidate is Adin Hill.  Hill will start next season at 27, he has 101 NHL games under his belt (including 88 starts), has a career .910 Save %, and a career GAA of 2.67.  He has never been a starter, but has increased his NHL PT every year for the last 5 years without a falloff in performance.  In fact his 27 games for LV YTD have yielded his best results (2.50 and a .915).  Vegas acquired him last year for a 4th in 2022.  

I'd offer a 3 or 4 year deal @ 3.5 per season.

I didn't realise he was that young. And that his save% was as good. Would take a chance on him for sure.

What to do in goal for next season is a tough question. Pencil in Levi as the #1? Trade resources to get an experienced #1 from another team and put Levi in as #2? Keep UPL as the #2 to Levi, or trade him? Dump Comrie? There are rational reasons to take a number of different approaches. 

I think whatever decision GA makes is going to leave him open to criticism. There will be a lot of people on either side who think he is making a big mistake. 

30 minutes ago, Dr K said:

What to do in goal for next season is a tough question. Pencil in Levi as the #1? Trade resources to get an experienced #1 from another team and put Levi in as #2? Keep UPL as the #2 to Levi, or trade him? Dump Comrie? There are rational reasons to take a number of different approaches. 

I think whatever decision GA makes is going to leave him open to criticism. There will be a lot of people on either side who think he is making a big mistake. 

The only move that doesn’t cost much in terms of assets is to get Varlamov as a UFA. The main repercussion is losing Comrie/UPL to trade or waivers.

19 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I've seen/heard this sentiment expressed a few times.  Why does starting Levi in game 82 mean we are moving on from both Comrie and UPL?

Vibes/atmosphere/culture obviously matter to KA

To not throw them a bone and give either the start in a meaningless game, when they haven’t played in a while, really to me doesn’t seem to be the actions of a GM very concerned with keeping their morale up

It could be confirmation bias on my part because they’ve been so poor...

but then again, they’ve been so poor 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Vibes/atmosphere/culture obviously matter to KA

To not throw them a bone and give either the start in a meaningless game, when they haven’t played in a while, really to me doesn’t seem to be the actions of a GM very concerned with keeping their morale up

It could be confirmation bias on my part because they’ve been so poor...

but then again, they’ve been so poor 

Like us, they’ve seen enough of those two.

KA may have an inkling of UPL’s value around the league. Definitely not a big return, but some teams may think they can make something of him and inquired.

Marty Biron says he sees Levi being the next rookie to get 30 wins

Ill trust Biron over any of y’all when it comes to goalies. He IS the starter. Only squabbling over the backup is worth discussing. And with two goalies on contract and no cap problems, having both of them duke it out if one isn’t traded away is a pretty simple decision. 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Like us, they’ve seen enough of those two.

KA may have an inkling of UPL’s value around the league. Definitely not a big return, but some teams may think they can make something of him and inquired.

The Sabres were 9-2-1 over their last 12 games.  Levi started 7, went 5-2 with a .905 save %.  Comrie, UPL and Anderson started the other 5 and went a combined 4-0-1 with a .924 save %.  Levi was great.  I think the evidence might support though, that the team fully committed to taking a serious run over the home stretch and, on balance, they played their best overall hockey of the season, regardless of who was in net.

Like everyone, I'm very excited about Levi.  His track record is incredible. Coming in as he did late in the year and showing his ability and confidence was impressive.  His focus and presence seem elite. I do think he is the guy going forward.  Discarding UPL though, unless he is part of a package for something significant, would be a big mistake I think.

UPL was a 2nd round pick. In his last year of junior he was OHL goalie of the year and led Finland to World Junior gold where he was the 1st team all star. In his first 13 NHL games, played prior to this season, he had a .913 save %.  He struggled with consistency this year to be sure, but won 17 games and was NHL rookie of the month for January when he went 6-2-1 with a .907 save % (wins in January are as important as wins in March and April). Tossing him aside now might be as foolish as it would have been to toss aside Thompson or Mittelstadt a couple of years ago, as many fans would have gladly done.

I could not be more excited about Levi.  Ideally we would have a true #1 goalie who is clearly part of the long-term core and who stabilizes the position for 7-8 years.  Of the goalies we have, like most people I think Levi is the top candidate for that role.  As excited as I am about Levi though, I'm not sure it would be wise to conclude he is unquestionably that guy based on 7 NHL games with a .905 save %. 

From an age perspective, we have two goalies who fit in with the current long-term core and who have a track-record of strong amateur accomplishments with some short-term NHL success.  I think it would be premature to get rid of one of those goalies because he was inconsistent at age 23.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.