Should Adams bring in a starter and make Levi the backup in 23/24?

LGR4GM

Levi is the starter. But I would want to bring in a selfless vet who would mentor him during ups and downs and play about 1/3 of games. I don’t think UPL or Comrie fit this description. I would want a 5-8 year younger Anderson. A guy who is a great teacher and who would be invested in Levi’s future. 

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

We just got unlucky last night. Nobody plays a back up in the playoffs. We finally have a solution in net I don’t understand why it’s a focus again. 

Because he played the night before.  Playoffs do have back to back games.  

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We need a legit veteran goaltender in free agency imo, one who can win games but also steer Levi in the right direction. Some guys who may be available- Jonathan Quick, Semyon Varmalov, Frederick Anderson, Cam Talbot, James Reimer, Antti Rannta, Tristan Jarry (I'm not saying I like all the goalies on this list, just looking at realistic options).

Quick is an interesting idea.   Kinda the same mole as Levi  

it sucks there is no easy way to get UPL back to Rochester   He will be the back up or traded 

If traded , they better find another goalie prospect cause the cupboard will be pretty bare 

• dislike 1

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

it sucks there is no easy way to get UPL back to Rochester   He will be the back up or traded 

If traded , they better find another goalie prospect cause the cupboard will be pretty bare 

Quick would of been fine 2 years ago . 

I think hes done which sucks i like your idea 

Edited by Buffalonill

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Topias leinonen the 2nd rounder for from last draft and I'm sure Adams will sign a few but yeah it's pretty thin.

10 hours ago, Mango said:

I am on the same page. Except I think the line in my head is 35 games, but hope he proves to be able to handle more. 

A few weeks ago I thought it was a slam dunk he would spend time in Rochester. But I don't know how they do that at this point. He is by far the best goalie on the roster today. But maybe they want to bring him along with Savoie, Kulich, Johnson? Which isn't the worst idea I guess? 

Anyways, I would put resources into bringing in a netminder who can is better that is substantially better than what we have already seen from Levi and make him chase him all season for the starting job. Top Levi out at 35-ish games, but hopes he proves to have the chops to take the starting goalie be end of year. 

The key is having him rolling and still fresh when the playoffs hit.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been convinced for a while now that once Levi takes the net over it will be his for a long time.

I didn't really expect that to happen this year and I hope that doesn't derail the plan in a year or two.

But if he is "that guy," the other guy becomes way less important. As in either Comrie or Luukkonnen are fine for 25 handpicked games.

They only become issues if Levi is not "that guy."

Who outside of Buffalo remembers Ryan Miller's backup?

• dislike 1

7 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

The timing just sucks. Theres team in much worse shape then we are in that would love to have a goalie such UPL and give him opportunities to take control of their net. Like you said, there isn't a easy way to send UPL back to Rochester. Boston dealt with this problem as well after the emergence of Jeremy Swayman, they traded Dan Vladar to Calgary.

• Like (+1) 1

No.

Ideally I bring in Levi to camp next year with UPL, Comrie, and a low priced Vet. All 4 compete, and based on offseason, training camp, and preseason you determine how you want your situation to be going forward.  I think Comrie might be better than he showed most of this year. I have little to go on, but I do think he was playing hurt after his early season injury and that impacted his play.  I think you will get a 'better' Comrie next year.

• dislike 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:39 AM, Taro T said:

This.  So much this.

Really want Varlamov brought in.  He'd be ideal in that he can be the #1 if Levi falters and he's used to being the backup.  And unlike Saros who would cost a lot in assets, still expect he'd cost Savoie or Kulich and a 1st round pick, he wouldn't be "blocking" Levi if Devon is what we've seen him to be.

Sabres won't trade Kullich, Savoie. If you can get Saros for combination of Peterka, Krebs, Jost, Middlestat, Jokararu, 1st pick would you do it? I would hands down.

Sabres with Saros/Levi would almost be unstoppable.

On 4/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, oddoublee said:

Team has too much talent offensively - and a solid 2nd pairing Dman and Depth 3rd pairing Dman from making 100 point noise next year. Not wanting to bank on a kid that has never had a full season grind of the NHL. I would love if they brought in a Goalie that makes Levi fight for even 40 games next year - and winner take all the following year. Goalie prospects, especially 21 year old goalie prospects, are not guarantee. 

Levi's College career shows this is a Special Kat. But he could get hurt and Competition is ALWAYS BEST

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Sabres won't trade Kullich, Savoie. If you can get Saros for combination of Peterka, Krebs, Jost, Middlestat, Jokararu, 1st pick would you do it? I would hands down.

Sabres with Saros/Levi would almost be unstoppable.

Expect most all Sabres fans would take that trade.  Which makes it extremely unlikely Nashville would make it.

Can't see Nashville trading him for anything less than one of Savoie or Kulich and an unprotected 1st.  And can't see Adams offering that after having watched Levi in his 6 games to date.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:52 AM, Taro T said:

Realize that other goalies have been had cheaper.  Few, if any of those, have been 1 of the best 3 goalies in the game and still under contract for multiple years.  He wouldn't be on the market because he absolutely wants out; he'd be on the market because they're retooling and are very high on Askarov.  Thing is, they can retool and bring Askarov in while Saros is still there.  The Sabres didn't get rid of Miller while he still had term left even though they were in the midst of a scorched earth tank.  They only traded him when he was on the verge of becoming an UFA.

IMHO the only way Saros gets traded now is if it's a "wow, we can't believe what we're getting offered for him" type of deal.  They don't NEED to trade him.  Not yet, at any rate.

How about this for Saros,

1st pick 2023 (pretty good), Peterka, Middlestat,  UPL, Olofsson

On 4/12/2023 at 9:56 AM, Pimlach said:

What I want:   Bring in a goalie.  We need a 1B in case Levi hits a wall.   Why can't we have two starting caliber goalie's?   

What will really happen:   Levi 1, UPL 2, Comrie packaged in a trade, Andy retired.  

So you pull UPL every time a shutout occurs. Done with UPL or Rochester till he proves different. Trade would be optimal.

On 4/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, DarthEbriate said:

It won't be 3. Comrie could get waived and maybe get through to Rochester, though he has a pretty cheap salary even as a backup. UPL would get nabbed by somebody. Very likely one them is traded. Or Levi starts in Rochester waiting for one of them to grab the reins or get moved. I'd guess we'll see UPL and Levi and a bigger emphasis on team (forwards) defense.

Personally, I don't overload Levi. I probably max him out at 41 games (NHL [and AHL if necessary] combined) while his body is developing, he's getting accustomed to cross-country travel and managing time zone changes against his routines, 2-week long road trips, building up his dossier on shooters and they on him, and being a celebrity.

Then go for Saros if no Kulich or Savoie part of trade

If not then Raanta or Adin Hill

Levi is Starter or Backup, no Rochester. He is TOO good for Rochester.

** Be Ok if Levi starter and Comrie/Anderson backup for at least half a season. See if Comrie has anything, don't trust only Comrie. We can hide the younger guys in Rochester on call up when needed. Why Rochester exists, CLOSE.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, triumph_communes said:

This whole thread confuses me. Why wouldn’t Levi get 60 games?  UPL 22 games?

Cause UPL sucks. Levi isn't the issue.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, triumph_communes said:

We just got unlucky last night. Nobody plays a back up in the playoffs. We finally have a solution in net I don’t understand why it’s a focus again. 

Think Levi was tired a little, If he stops 1 of the goals then it is 3-2 Sabres were shooting well. Maybe they don't get to aggressive pulling Goalie and push offense to get a Penalty. Granto at times goes to early for pulling Goalie and games get out of hand fast.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:32 AM, sabresparaavida said:

Comrie didn’t get enough looks in part due to injury, but more due to his performance when he did play. He got 19 games (which happens to be how much he played the season before, and was enough to make the roster) 

Not sure your point there. Did Comrie not get enough looks cause of injury or performance? Comrie was 5-1-1 last 7 since injury yet UPL thrown in at times. One loss was more on Granto and Defense (10 goals, REALLY). Comrie had a Shutout down the stretch too, Only Anderson did that this year too.

If TEAM backs Comrie, be Ok backup only if Anderson stays too due to injury. Get rid of UFA's on team replace with 1-2 good freeagents and young guys called up from Rochester, you can keep things rolling. Only way to really make 3 Goalies work.

Prefer though Levi and Very Good Veteran here. Bye to UPL, Comrie waived to Rochester. Anderson phone dial if someone goes down.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, Randall Flagg said:

Someone else can give them to him. When he did play, he was like 88th in the league in goalie metrics. The 23-24 sabres are not an appropriate place for this experiment. 

Injuries are why I would move on from Comrie.

Comrie was 5-1-1 since last injury. Gave Sabres a chance to win but one game and that was on Granto at 5-3, should have pulled Comrie. Instead 10 Goals occurred and TEAM quit. Not on Comrie.

Offense is up 3-4 goals a game average now for winner and 5-7 happen often enough.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.