Should Adams bring in a starter and make Levi the backup in 23/24?

LGR4GM

48 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It won't be 3. Comrie could get waived and maybe get through to Rochester, though he has a pretty cheap salary even as a backup. UPL would get nabbed by somebody. Very likely one them is traded. Or Levi starts in Rochester waiting for one of them to grab the reins or get moved. I'd guess we'll see UPL and Levi and a bigger emphasis on team (forwards) defense.

Personally, I don't overload Levi. I probably max him out at 41 games (NHL [and AHL if necessary] combined) while his body is developing, he's getting accustomed to cross-country travel and managing time zone changes against his routines, 2-week long road trips, building up his dossier on shooters and they on him, and being a celebrity.

I am on the same page. Except I think the line in my head is 35 games, but hope he proves to be able to handle more. 

A few weeks ago I thought it was a slam dunk he would spend time in Rochester. But I don't know how they do that at this point. He is by far the best goalie on the roster today. But maybe they want to bring him along with Savoie, Kulich, Johnson? Which isn't the worst idea I guess? 

Anyways, I would put resources into bringing in a netminder who can is better that is substantially better than what we have already seen from Levi and make him chase him all season for the starting job. Top Levi out at 35-ish games, but hopes he proves to have the chops to take the starting goalie be end of year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

This.  So much this.

Really want Varlamov brought in.  He'd be ideal in that he can be the #1 if Levi falters and he's used to being the backup.  And unlike Saros who would cost a lot in assets, still expect he'd cost Savoie or Kulich and a 1st round pick, he wouldn't be "blocking" Levi if Devon is what we've seen him to be.

This is the way. If we learned anything this season it's that a team needs quality goal-tending and that is not something you can cheap out on. Levi and his ilk are effectively a gift.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

I love what I've seen from Levi and hope that he is finally the answer between the pipes for this team. That said, those of you who think they are fine in goal as currently constructed and can just ride with Levi are ignoring the 400 lb gorilla in the room...what happens if the kid gets injured? Where are they then? An established, starting caliber goalie definitely needs to be acquired this off-season. Not only could he get hurt but there are a myriad of other things already mentioned in this thread...we have witnessed a very small sample size, he'll need to adjust to a grinding travel schedule, different training regimen, public appearances, media attention both locally and nationally, etc. He looks like the real deal but throwing all of your eggs into one basket is a risky proposition given the apparent ascension of this team. Relying on UPL and Comrie would be criminally negligent, IMO. Can they grow, especially UPL? Will they? That's a risk I'm not willing to take and neither should the coach, front office, and owner.

The young core on this team has grown tremendously this season and they are ready to take the next step. This run for the playoffs the last few weeks of the season has given them an invaluable taste of what can be, IMO. If this team does not make the playoffs next season for reasons other than devastating, long-term injuries to the likes of Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Power, & Dahlin then the coach and front office need to be on the hot seat. The fan base has been more than patient with this staff and, with a few tweaks here and there, they probably could have slipped into the playoffs and ended this interminable drought. Shore up the goaltending and defense with legit acquisitions and this team will be one to watch. Stand pat and stick to some self-imposed timeline like this year and you will be on the outside looking in with a half empty building and a ton of opposing fans...yet again. You're on the clock, GMKA, and we're all watching...

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

These are two separate questions.  

The Sabres undoubtedly need Levi AND another goaltender who is better than UPL.  Which of those two should be anointed the starter in September depends on who that other goalie is and how each of them is playing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

These are two separate questions.  

The Sabres undoubtedly need Levi AND another goaltender who is better than UPL.  Which of those two should be anointed the starter in September depends on who that other goalie is and how each of them is playing.

It is not 2 separate questions. Should Adams bring in a legit #1 goalie like Saros or not? 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It is not 2 separate questions. Should Adams bring in a legit #1 goalie like Saros or not? 

Yes he should, and then there should remain the open question of who gets the bulk of starts.  2 questions.

• Like (+1) 2

We need a legit veteran goaltender in free agency imo, one who can win games but also steer Levi in the right direction. Some guys who may be available- Jonathan Quick, Semyon Varmalov, Frederick Anderson, Cam Talbot, James Reimer, Antti Rannta, Tristan Jarry (I'm not saying I like all the goalies on this list, just looking at realistic options).

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We need a legit veteran goaltender in free agency imo, one who can win games but also steer Levi in the right direction. Some guys who may be available- Jonathan Quick, Semyon Varmalov, Frederick Anderson, Cam Talbot, James Reimer, Antti Rannta, Tristan Jarry (I'm not saying I like all the goalies on this list, just looking at realistic options).

Varmalov is the best idea.  The Sabres wouldn't have to trade for him (unlike Saros, who I would love to see here, but who will cost assets).  I don't like his murky history but I also recognize that (1) it is unlikely that the accusations were true as reported and (2) it was ten years ago.

9 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I'd bring in a competent goalie and maybe split playing time 50/50. Keep UPL as #3.

Here's a fun thought experiment:  The Sabres can keep either Comrie or UPL as a number 3 (if they keep 3, and I think they should, at least for the first few months of the season).  I might lean toward Comrie; I think UPL brings back more in a trade and I see them as roughly equivalent--and maybe Comrie even has the edge.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Here's a fun thought experiment:  The Sabres can keep either Comrie or UPL as a number 3 (if they keep 3, and I think they should, at least for the first few months of the season).  I might lean toward Comrie; I think UPL brings back more in a trade and I see them as roughly equivalent--and maybe Comrie even has the edge.

I have no room on my team for UPL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The only reason I'd keep him over Comrie is if some team were willing to give me more for Comrie. 

I believe UPL has more trade value than Comrie.  However, trade one or trade both, either result is ok by me.

As to trading for a starter, I sincerely doubt given KA's limited history that he is going to trade a 1st rd pick or even a high 2nd rd pick for a starter.  Levi is his guy, but I do think he'll sign or acquire a goalie with NHL experience.  Varlamov, Talbot, etc... are easy to picture in that role, but KA has stated he wants acquired players in their prime who could be here awhile.   My prime candidate is Adin Hill.  Hill will start next season at 27, he has 101 NHL games under his belt (including 88 starts), has a career .910 Save %, and a career GAA of 2.67.  He has never been a starter, but has increased his NHL PT every year for the last 5 years without a falloff in performance.  In fact his 27 games for LV YTD have yielded his best results (2.50 and a .915).  Vegas acquired him last year for a 4th in 2022.  

I'd offer a 3 or 4 year deal @ 3.5 per season.

• Like (+1) 2

Devon Levi has a sample size of a handful of games.  That's true for fans just as much as its true for other teams.  He shows a ton of promise, but the trend is generally that it gets worse before it gets better.

I give a little credit to the notion that the Sabres built a roster so that Levi would sign.  He's signed.  At this point the kid needs to really earn and this team needs the best competition it can get.

They should absolutely go sign someone who can be a starting goaltender... if one is available.

I see people who want to annoint Levi here but in other threads talk about how "nothing is a given for next season".. damn right.  Nothing is a given.  Go get another goalie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I believe UPL has more trade value than Comrie.  However, trade one or trade both, either result is ok by me.

As to trading for a starter, I sincerely doubt given KA's limited history that he is going to trade a 1st rd pick or even a high 2nd rd pick for a starter.  Levi is his guy, but I do think he'll sign or acquire a goalie with NHL experience.  Varlamov, Talbot, etc... are easy to picture in that role, but KA has stated he wants acquired players in their prime who could be here awhile.   My prime candidate is Adin Hill.  Hill will start next season at 27, he has 101 NHL games under his belt (including 88 starts), has a career .910 Save %, and a career GAA of 2.67.  He has never been a starter, but has increased his NHL PT every year for the last 5 years without a falloff in performance.  In fact his 27 games for LV YTD have yielded his best results (2.50 and a .915).  Vegas acquired him last year for a 4th in 2022.  

I'd offer a 3 or 4 year deal @ 3.5 per season.

That sounds like another Comrie, though.  If they're going to do something (and they should), I'd prefer that they do Something.

• dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That sounds like another Comrie, though.  If they're going to do something (and they should), I'd prefer that they do Something.

The difference is that Hill has a proven track record unlike Comrie who had one good season and that season totaled 19 games in a D first system.  Hill has improved each year in the NHL with 3 different organizations and in 3 different systems.  I agree this is a risk in that he has never been the guy, but it’s a much smaller risk than Comrie was.

Remember we are looking for guys “who want to be here” and pursuant to KA’s stated philosophy are still in their prime.   That doesn’t leave many candidates.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The difference is that Hill has a proven track record unlike Comrie who had one good season and that season totaled 19 games in a D first system.  Hill has improved each year in the NHL with 3 different organizations and in 3 different systems.  I agree this is a risk in that he has never been the guy, but it’s a much smaller risk than Comrie was.

Remember we are looking for guys “who want to be here” and pursuant to KA’s stated philosophy are still in their prime.   That doesn’t leave many candidates.

And yet he brought Anderson in two separate times.  Neither of which was he "in his prime."

Levi is his LT #1.  It is obvious when he talks about him.  (We all should be so fortunate to have someone look at us the way he looks at Levi.)  So, he very well could prefer a Varlamov to a Hill as Varlomov has been there and done that as the starter and also as the backup after being the starter.   Every year on the Island he saw his ice time decrease and he's been tremendously supportive of Sorokin.  He seems to be the perfect Martin Gerber to Devon Levi's Cam Ward.  He can be the mentor and actually win a game or 10 should Levi have a rough patch.

Adams philosophy on goaltending doesn't seem to mesh perfectly with his philosophy on other positions.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Even if he's available........ Probably not for the price. Also agree with a previous post it's amazing how so many armchair GM's think starting goaltenders grow on trees.

7 hours ago, sabresouth said:

My only concern with Levi is if he will be able to handle #1 goalie for the whole season.  He did great this season but it was a very small sample size. I would like to see a very capable #2 brought in just in case Levi stumbles a little. Our other three goalies are not acceptable for me as backups for Levi. 

Levi, a mid level veteran, and i want to keep UPL around. Luuka got fed to the wolves this year, it was up and down but there were flashes. Improve the defense and develop the guy. Teams need 2 starters anyways, hes a great tool if he develops, trade bait, or a quality #2. Or get him down in Roch, let Levi and the vet do the heavy lifting

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Levi, a mid level veteran, and i want to keep UPL around. Luuka got fed to the wolves this year, it was up and down but there were flashes. Improve the defense and develop the guy. Teams need 2 starters anyways, hes a great tool if he develops, trade bait, or a quality #2. Or get him down in Roch, let Levi and the vet do the heavy lifting

To the bolded, therein lies the rub.

He played well enough this year that somebody could definitely make a claim on him should they try to send him to Ra-cha-cha.  And if they try to keep 3 goalies in Buffalo, they could very well find themselves in a position of needing to either place a player on IR (out 7 days minimum) when he's just day to day because they only have room for 1 healthy scratch on D and on O or risk losing a servicable spare part like Jost or Stillman to have a spare guy with the team should somebody's pregame meal not agree with them or send a guy that would've been in the lineup like Quinn or Peterka to the AHL for the day on paper to keep from exceeding the 23 player limit.

Expect UPL would garner more in a trade than Comrie would and also that there's a greater likelihood he's claimed if he's sent to Ra-cha-cha.  Which is part of the frustration about hardly playing Comrie at all this year.  They still don't know if he'd be an adequate backup for Levi should something go kerplewy this season.  (They don't know for sure about UPL either, but that's not from lack of seeing him play.  If anything, it's the opposite.)

So, they definitely need 1 more goalie that they know they can reasonably rely on, but bringing that guy in pretty much guarantees they have to get rid of 1 of UPL or Comrie and they might lose both.  (Not the worst thing in the world, but would like to keep 1 or both to have actual goaltending depth should the Sabres need to go 3 or 4 deep in net next year due to injuries or whatever.)

14 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't totally disagree with the UPL Reclamation Project. 

I can't tell whether it's a lack of essential instincts or a matter of lost confidence, but there were stretches of play this year where, in watching him, I just kept thinking to myself "he looks like he doesn't expect to stop the puck." And then Levi showed up and I was like "yuh, that's what it looks like when the goalie expects to stop the puck."

• Agree 2
  • dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.