Hey adams this is on you.

Buffalonill

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

As for your conclusion, my fear is that KA knows he has GOOJF card in his back pocket in an untested rookie goalie getting handed the starting job.

It's always a moving target here at SS. I can guarantee you if next season is reasonably close to this one, you would not win a poll asking if KA should be fired.

Settle down. I doubt even you believed that when you typed it. We have all said that next year, the playoffs are the only outcome.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

That is why I called it opportunity lost. This team was so much better than expected.  Why not capitalize on that?  The future is never guaranteed.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It is possible to feel that the season is a success relative to what you hoped for in October, and also feel dismayed that it wasn't treated like a "make the playoffs NOW" season when it became apparent that the team was capable of making it

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t understand why this concept is difficult to grasp.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA should have known entering this season that this team was primed to become a playoff contender.  The team blitzed through the second half last season and it was his job to build on that momentum.  This was a massive missed opportunity because all the team needed to get over the hump was help in goal and help on defense.  Considering that last year’s team finished last season 25th in GA (290), the needs were obvious.  

Instead KA signed Comrie and re-signed 41 year old Anderson to play goal and signed Lyubushkin for the defense.  Not surprisingly we are worse this year than last. With 2 games left we have allowed 295 GA and sit 28th.  

From a general sense this season was another  step forward, but had Adams been just a little more willing to invest in goaltending and defense this season could have been so much more.

I love all of these 20/20 hindsight posts. It's so easy to say what should have been done based on how the season played out. Even I didn't know of the kids were going to develop as much as they have this year, and I was one who got pissed off and had to be convinced that paying for a retired player was a good move. (I never was, BTW.)

We'll see how much they care about winning by what they do this summer and if they reach the cap floor.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Settle down. I doubt even you believed that when you typed it. We have all said that next year, the playoffs are the only outcome.

I love all of these 20/20 hindsight posts. It's so easy to say what should have been done based on how the season played out. Even I didn't know of the kids were going to develop as much as they have this year, and I was one who got pissed off and had to be convinced that paying for a retired player was a good move. (I never was, BTW.)

We'll see how much they care about winning by what they do this summer and if they reach the cap floor.

Ypu missed the point maybe?  When it became apparent mid season that this team was ready, a slight change of course was the reaction we were looking for.  That’s not reacting to hindsight, it is reacting to the moment.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Ypu missed the point maybe?  When it became apparent mid season that this team was ready, a slight change of course was the reaction we were looking for.  That’s not reacting to hindsight, it is reacting to the moment.

Was it really apparent, though? They had had an 8 game losing streak and were being written about already having blown their playoff chances.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Was it really apparent, though? They had had an 8 game losing streak and were being written about already having blown their playoff chances.

I would certainly hope any GM would recognize what they have on ice and support it when the performance justifies it.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

image.thumb.jpeg.b1c78c2f43750251af823746b961bf72.jpeg

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Im not mad about it, and I'm not spending any serious time lamenting things because I believe in my heart that next year will be special

But yes, at some point along the way, after the 8 game streak (we were only 4 games under .500 and 22% thru the season when that ended) it was clear that we were getting historic production from Tage and Dahlin, that Cozens took a step, and that we had frightfully bad defensive depth, while having a shot at the playoffs and having firmly established the Samuelsson splits. And we had to ben bishop our way to the cap floor, meaning there was all kinds of room. Casey Fitzgerald started 23 games for this team. It is not unreasonable to feel lost opportunity here and fans certainly were aware of it at the time. I was reading forums even if not posting. Some of the clapbacks at this frustration are more obnoxious and less correct than most of the frustration I've seen outside of drunk nill. But maybe that's just my reflexive bias against SDS showing 🙂

But that frustration is mostly drowned out for me by anticipation. It is not hard to see how different things are this time 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

Please let us know what trade was executed between Dec 15 and Feb 15 that you felt the Sabres should have not only been in on but 100% made sure they executed to improve the team. 

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

I would certainly hope any GM would recognize what they have on ice and support it when the performance justifies it.

Again what move can you point to that occurred in that 2 month window when Adams supposedly should have made a move? Any move you want to through out there that you feel would have improved the team but Adams didn't do it? 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA should have known entering this season that this team was primed to become a playoff contender.  The team blitzed through the second half last season and it was his job to build on that momentum.  This was a massive missed opportunity because all the team needed to get over the hump was help in goal and help on defense.  Considering that last year’s team finished last season 25th in GA (290), the needs were obvious.  

Instead KA signed Comrie and re-signed 41 year old Anderson to play goal and signed Lyubushkin for the defense.  Not surprisingly we are worse this year than last. With 2 games left we have allowed 295 GA and sit 28th.  

From a general sense this season was another  step forward, but had Adams been just a little more willing to invest in goaltending and defense this season could have been so much more.

And you should have known better than to post not 1 but 2 separate things yesterday jinxing the team but here we are. 

Scoring is up league wide this year so really we are just about the same. 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Drunk message board posting is a bad move. I've pretty much stopped doing it. Waking up the next day not knowing what kinda dumb ***** you posted isn't a pleasant feeling, lol.

You're drunk *right now,* aren't you...

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Scoring is up league wide this year so really we are just about the same. 

No we aren’t.  28th in the league is worse than 25th.  Save% is worse, GA is worse, PK is worse, all other D metrics are worse.  They are worse defensively and in goal this year vs last year.  

The person to blame is KA.  He constructed the roster.  He gets great marks for building out the forward group, but gets a failing grade for the defense and goaltending.  Overall the team is better but until he fixes the goaltending and the defense the team is not going to achieve the stated goal of building a champion.  

Ultimately the fix comes down to getting a top 4 D and 2 goalies in addition to Levi.  One goalie to partner with Levi in the NHL and another to anchor Rochester who can come up to Buffalo in case Levi proves he isn’t fully ready.  We may even need to carry 3 goalies to start next year.

• dislike 1

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Please let us know what trade was executed between Dec 15 and Feb 15 that you felt the Sabres should have not only been in on but 100% made sure they executed to improve the team. 

Again what move can you point to that occurred in that 2 month window when Adams supposedly should have made a move? Any move you want to through out there that you feel would have improved the team but Adams didn't do it? 

Lazy.  I don’t have the information, contacts, scouting reports needed to have credible ideas of what can and cannot be done.  I’m also not tasked with building a winning team.  

You don’t have to have a solution as a fan to have an expectation.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

Just now, Weave said:

Lazy.  I don’t have the information, contacts, scouting reports needed to have credible ideas of what can and cannot be done.  I’m also not tasked with building a winning team.  

You don’t have to have a solution as a fan to have an expectation.  

Lazy? I am asking you to look at a ***** trade list and say which ones you felt buffalo should have done. Why don't you contribute more useful discourse to this forum instead of this crap. 

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No we aren’t.  28th in the league is worse than 25th.  Save% is worse, GA is worse, PK is worse, all other D metrics are worse.  They are worse defensively and in goal this year vs last year.  

The person to blame is KA.  He constructed the roster.  He gets great marks for building out the forward group, but gets a failing grade for the defense and goaltending.  Overall the team is better but until he fixes the goaltending and the defense the team is not going to achieve the stated goal of building a champion.  

Ultimately the fix comes down to getting a top 4 D and 2 goalies in addition to Levi.  One goalie to partner with Levi in the NHL and another to anchor Rochester who can come up to Buffalo in case Levi proves he isn’t fully ready.  We may even need to carry 3 goalies to start next year.

This is lazy. Very lazy. 

GAA went from 3.29 to 3.44 which means Buffalo went from a tie for 6th worst to a tie for... 5th worst wow. 

SV% went from .894% to .890% which is going from 27th UP to 25th. 

What other D metrics you got? I listed them when you wouldn't. You just say they are bad with no context or even showing us the numbers. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Noone said over pay.  Noone wants to do it at the expense of the future.

Why is nuance so difficult?

Yes there were plenty of fans saying give up this this and that to acquire players who were being paid lots of money and have term and would directly effect the teams future for a quick fix that more than likely would of kept us from the ulimate goal of building a true, lasting contender.

I honeslty don't understand nuance in this case.  Maybe you were not one of those people but c'mon you read the same messages / social media BS the rest of us do and thats what I heard over and over again

You also have fans now screaming wasted opportunity, yet our core nucleus is just entering their prime so the opportunity is extremly far away from wasted

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lazy? I am asking you to look at a ***** trade list and say which ones you felt buffalo should have done. Why don't you contribute more useful discourse to this forum instead of this crap. 

I didn’t realize that a list of trades that happened were the only available players and deals during those moments in time and that all other possibilities were futile discussions.

And a discussion of actual players and potential deals inevitably leads to debate on the actual deals, which is not the point of the conversation at all.

If you don’t like the discourse, ignore it or take one of your tantrum breaks.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

I didn’t realize that a list of trades that happened were the only available players and deals during those moments in time and that all other possibilities were futile discussions.

And a discussion of actual players and potential deals inevitably leads to debate on the actual deals, which is not the point of the conversation at all.

If you don’t like the discourse, ignore it or take one of your tantrum breaks.

And blocked permanently. You don't really contribute much to the board so it isn't a loss. At least Perrault, who I disagree with, has ideas. You are just an empty shell incapable of anything more. Fair thee well Lazy Weave, fair thee well. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelled weave wrong, censor #### it out.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is lazy. Very lazy. 

GAA went from 3.29 to 3.44 which means Buffalo went from a tie for 6th worst to a tie for... 5th worst wow. 

SV% went from .894% to .890% which is going from 27th UP to 25th. 

What other D metrics you got? I listed them when you wouldn't. You just say they are bad with no context or even showing us the numbers. 

I don't know where you got your numbers, but mine are from Hockey-reference.

2021/22 GA 3.50 2022/23 GA 3.65

2021/22 Save % .894 2022/23 Save % .890

2021/22 Save % 5 on 5 .914 2022/23 save % 5 on5 .910

PK 2021/22 76.42 PK 2022/23 72.97

5 on 5 HDA 2021/22 558 2022/23 667

The team is simply worse defensively and in goal than last year. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

And blocked permanently. You don't really contribute much to the board so it isn't a loss. At least Perrault, who I disagree, with has ideas. You are just an empty shell incapable of anything more. Fair thee well Lazy Weave, fair thee well. 

Ive actively avoided conversation with you for quite a long time.  Thank you for returning the favor.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Ive actively avoided conversation with you for quite a long time.  Thank you for returning the favor.

That’s a hell of a block if your still sending reactions!  😀

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't know where you got your numbers, but mine are from Hockey-reference.

2021/22 GA 3.50 2022/23 GA 3.65

2021/22 Save % .894 2022/23 Save % .890

2021/22 Save % 5 on 5 .914 2022/23 save % 5 on5 .910

PK 2021/22 76.42 PK 2022/23 72.97

5 on 5 HDA 2021/22 558 2022/23 667

The team is simply worse defensively and in goal than last year. 

NHL.com

sorry if that isn't an acceptable source. 

7 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

No as of now, but here in Rochester it's beautiful outside and perfect for day drinking.

Now.. this is indisputable.

I can't believe there's so much discourse over this.  I can't believe we're still going around and around attacking each other over "what might have been".  It's only what.. the 243rd thread this season that has evolved into this?

Even if we could evaluate a single decision made we lack the macro view of the situation to know what lateral impacts would have happened if a move had been made. Just like we lack a view of the impacts of moves that were not made.

You want to be mad they did not make the playoffs.. go nuts.  You want to be okay they didn't make the playoffs.. go nuts. 

I just don't understand the need to attack each other over things.  Especially those things that we clearly don't know enough about and as such are nothing more than pure speculation.

Or maybe we're aren't attacking each other and I am just reading the situation wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

Now.. this is indisputable.

I can't believe there's so much discourse over this.  I can't believe we're still going around and around attacking each other over "what might have been".  It's only what.. the 243rd thread this season that has evolved into this?

Even if we could evaluate a single decision made we lack the macro view of the situation to know what lateral impacts would have happened if a move had been made. Just like we lack a view of the impacts of moves that were not made.

You want to be mad they did not make the playoffs.. go nuts.  You want to be okay they didn't make the playoffs.. go nuts. 

I just don't understand the need to attack each other over things.  Especially those things that we clearly don't know enough about and as such are nothing more than pure speculation.

Or maybe we're aren't attacking each other and I am just reading the situation wrong. 

I was just kidding w/ CB but maybe you're referring to something else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.