Hey adams this is on you.

Buffalonill

4 minutes ago, Two or less said:

And they won 40 games.

Way more then anyone expected them to

According to who.  I expected them to be a playoff team this season.  I expected the GM to fix the goaltending and the defense and he didn't.  This team is in the top 6 in offense for the entire NHL and missed the playoffs because the defense and goaltending is worse than last year.  That's on Adams.  He knew he had to fix those areas and failed to do so.  If this team had even NHL average goaltending we'd be in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

According to who.  I expected them to be a playoff team this season.  I expected the GM to fix the goaltending and the defense and he didn't.  This team is in the top 6 in offense for the entire NHL and missed the playoffs because the defense and goaltending is worse than last year.  That's on Adams.  He knew he had to fix those areas and failed to do so.  If this team had even NHL average goaltending we'd be in the playoffs.  

And they are bottom 5 in most defensive categories. A goalie or a d-men was not going to fix those issues.

Just now, Two or less said:

And they are bottom 5 in most defensive categories. A goalie or a d-men was not going to fix those issues.

You are incorrect.  Real goaltending and an upgrade over Jokiharju for Power would have been enough to put us in the playoffs.  They would not have been enough to make us a Cup contender, but we certainly would have been better than Fla, the NYI and Pitt.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are incorrect.  Real goaltending and an upgrade over Jokiharju for Power would have been enough to put us in the playoffs.  They would not have been enough to make us a Cup contender, but we certainly would have been better than Fla, the NYI and Pitt.

I think you're fooling yourself thinking that. The team defense was atrocious. And all you need to do is look at the penalty kill stats, even when teams didn't score on us, they were getting grade A chances. PK is about a unit, a system and having that extra juice. Replacing one guy wasn't going to fix the defense. 

And for all the crap Joki gets, he had some good games down the stretch too. Let's not make it out that he's some guy who has been trash every single night.

• Like (+1) 1

Glad to see there are other people who feel the same way I do. 

KA imo underestimated the potential of this team. A number of things came together at once and we could have made the playoffs if he'd believed that was possible and made those key moves we all know needed to be made. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Anyone criticizing this team for where it is now, compared to when we had a psycho Eichel, a disinterested Reinhart, and a Risto on it has to be absolutely drunk. KA is GM of the year. Anyone who doesn't think so is just a whiny beotch. 

I funkin hated that team. This team is so much more root-for-able, and I didn't think it was possible to get here this fast from where they were.

This season (if it is even over yet) ended up way better than I was expecting.

Go cry into your soup, b!tches.

There's absolutely no question he did a great job with the necessary subtraction part of things. Three great trades and a fresh new locker room vibe. I wanted that subtraction 3 years ago but he finally made it happen and he made great deals in all 3 cases. Kudos. 

But that doesn't mean he walks on water. He has totally botched goaltending. Perhaps wanting a high draft pick this year for one more draft as he waited for Levi, perhaps just blowing his negotiation with Ullmark as a rookie GM, perhaps missing out on trade options, whatever the reason we've had no decent goalie for far too long and it cost us.

I mentioned this in another thread but if you take Vanacek away from the Devils and give him to us do we have over 100 points and they are on the outside of a wild card? I'd say that's a distinct possibility. 

and the holes in the D were there and are still there. Will he fill them this off season? he better or next year might be just the same as this one. 

But sure, the team has a brighter future in all likelihood. It's more of a team and I agree, easier to like and cheer for. Better personalities on it too. Lots to like. There just could have been so much more. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, CTJoe said:

Bryson isn't the problem - he can easily be relegated to a 8/9 roll.  Problem is Jokiharu playing top 4 minutes.  He singlehandedly lost us the game tonight and I'm not exaggerating. If you want a refresher watch goals against 1, 2 and 4.

Another 3/4 D is needed above everything else. It could be argued the 2nd biggest need is another 3/4/5 dman

Rule #1:  don't drink and post

Rule #2: don't continue to drink and post

Rule #3 Never admit you are drinking and posting. Just let them call you an Idiot. Works for me 😂

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Only in Buffalo is it OK to be mediocre or less. 

This season was fun, and that's part of it... Winning is a bigger part, and we didn't do it enough. 

I'd love to say next year will be better, but things don't always work that way. Injuries, regression, etc; these things occur. 

I do blame KA for the goaltending, I don't care how hard it is, good GMs somehow find a way; we had cap space and draft capital and a surplus of offensive prospects and still did very little overall except hope for organic growth. 

I've enjoyed the ride, I hope for good things next year, but if this team isn't firmly in the playoffs next year, KA may need to be looking for a new job. 

As for your conclusion, my fear is that KA knows he has GOOJF card in his back pocket in an untested rookie goalie getting handed the starting job.

It's always a moving target here at SS. I can guarantee you if next season is reasonably close to this one, you would not win a poll asking if KA should be fired.

No anger here.  I ain’t got the emotional budget for that.  But this does feel like opportunity lost.  And that had to fall on KA to not recognize it and adjust course accordingly.

This team was better than expected.  Alot better.  A goalie and a difference maker, either forward or defence, would have put us in the playoffs.  

Yes, it appears we had some issues with goalies that didn’t want to be here.  In alot of ways, I don’t care.  As they say, it’s a performance based business, and every other GM in the league would have been judged on their ability to make those moves happen.

Im glad the team is likeable again.  I’m glad the hope seems much more realistic this time.  But I don’t pay attention for hope.  The entertainment the team provides was cut off early because of GM inflexibility.  Period.

Having said that, he’ll get a feee pass for this season, and I won’t complain about it.  Next season however, there needs to be significant pressure to make some noise in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 9

9 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Im drunk !!! but pissed.

We could easily be in playoffs if you would have gotten a goalie its been two ***** years of this *****. 

Instead you put all the hopes into a kid ( whos the future) but still .

Like we always say always ***** next year 

You owe 100 bucks to the charity of my choice. 

Anyone have suggestions in Buffalo?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I expected you not to jinx the team multiple times yesterday but here we are

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We're all  upset, angry etc. But lets not pretend that a significant number of Ssers were predicting playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

No anger here.  I ain’t got the emotional budget for that.  But this does feel like opportunity lost.  And that had to fall on KA to not recognize it and adjust course accordingly.

This team was better than expected.  Alot better.  A goalie and a difference maker, either forward or defence, would have put us in the playoffs.  

Yes, it appears we had some issues with goalies that didn’t want to be here.  In alot of ways, I don’t care.  As they say, it’s a performance based business, and every other GM in the league would have been judged on their ability to make those moves happen.

Im glad the team is likeable again.  I’m glad the hope seems much more realistic this time.  But I don’t pay attention for hope.  The entertainment the team provides was cut off early because of GM inflexibility.  Period.

Having said that, he’ll get a feee pass for this season, and I won’t complain about it.  Next season however, there needs to be significant pressure to make some noise in the playoffs.

This is where I’m at.  It’s ok to harbor <gulp> expectations - I’ll never understand why it’s so offensive to so many Buffalo fans to expect the team to be successful. 

Adams nickeled and dimed the consensus Vezina trophy winner and then spent two years chasing a competent netminder when Ullmark walked.  I get it - Adams thought they had a deal - but it should never have come down to that and it resulted from an underestimation of Ullmark’s abilities and market.

Adams had a ton of cap room this season that he failed to weaponize to improve the roster and the result was what we saw last night: a streaky offensive team with zero defensive structure and a huge dropoff after Dahlin and Power on the backend.  

Unacceptable.  I’m sorry - it just is.  Many posters see hope and that’s great, I do too, but let’s not kid ourselves - watching a kid fresh out of college have to stand on his head and endure a barrage of target practice in a must-win game was freakin’ sad.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Im drunk !!! but pissed.

We could easily be in playoffs if you would have gotten a goalie its been two ***** years of this *****. 

Instead you put all the hopes into a kid ( whos the future) but still .

Like we always say always ***** next year 

Haha going through the predictions thread and you said....

On 10/11/2022 at 9:16 PM, Buffalonill said:

My hope is adams doesn’t get  Impatient and  Pressured by the fans , media and just  Let it ride and doesn’t do anything stupid like a big trade.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah because no one knew they would  Explode the way they did .

Onice  You exceed expectations you should go for it but instead he laid down 

27 ppl predicted around 90pts and the playoff bubble. 

23 more predicted 80-90pts.

"No one knew" is bs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I think Kevyn Adams will right this ship, I really do. He does have his work cut out this offseason but this year was all about the development of the young players whether we all agree with that or not. 

I’m sure that will be the same excuse next year since they still don’t know how to play defense 

I am not going to crucify KA for this season. As much as i ranted about the same old problems this team has, i think KA is moving the right direction to right the ship. In a year where we were not even supposed to be in the race, the team was. We needed some grit, and at the deadline, we got that. Do we need more tweeks, yes, we do. I have no doubt some of those will be corrected before next season. Our goalie problem seems to have solved itself just by being patient. I still have faith in KA. I do think some things could have been fixed earlier, but i am not going to blame KA for making a lopsided trade to get a player that does not want to be in Buffalo, or has to seriously overpay. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.