Amerks In The AHL Playoffs

Night Train

16 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Amerks lost the last two home games to teams below them. Utica pushed Amerks down to 4th with an OT win in Syracuse. The Amerks need to win in Cleveland Sunday to move up to 2nd, otherwise they stay in 4th and would have to play Laval in a 3 game series.

Three in a row against the teams already eliminated from contention. Win the last one and they avoid the short series, but lose and it's a dismal way to go into the playoffs. The other thing that hurts them is they're not getting any reinforcements (apart from Rousek) this season. All the Sabres youngsters are up and not going back.

Wait, do I understand that there are 23 out of 32 teams in the playoffs?  What kind of little-league stuff is this?  And how do they turn THAT into a manageable bracket?

Also, looks like Rochester can jump into second place?  I would assume that to be a good thing.

Edited by Eleven

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Wait, do I understand that there are 23 out of 32 teams in the playoffs?  What kind of little-league stuff is this?  And how do they turn THAT into a manageable bracket?

Also, looks like Rochester can jump into second place?  I would assume that to be a good thing.

It"s actually 24 of 32.  4 divisions w/ unequal #'s of teams, so only the bottom 2 (bottom 3 in the 10 team division,) in each division don't make the playoffs.  Amerks division has 7 teams, so 5 get in.  those teams below 4th have to play a best of 3 game series against a team above them to get into the regular best of 7 16 team tourney.  In the Amerks division the only play in round is 4 v 5.  The division that has 9 10 teams out west has 7 get in and only the 1st place team gets a bye to the best of 7.

Edited by Taro T
Corrected.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It"s actually 24 of 32.  4 divisions w/ unequal #'s of teams, so only the bottom 2 in each division don't make the playoffs.  Amerks division has 7 teams, so 5 get in.  those teams below 4th have to play a best of 3 game series against a team above them to get into the regular best of 7 16 team tourney.  In the Amerks division the only play in round is 4 v 5.  The division that has 9 teams out west has 7 get in and only the 1st place team gets a bye to the best of 7.

But it's 23:  "In 2022-23, the AHL will have 23 teams participating in the postseason."  https://theahl.com/23playoffprimer

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But it's 23:  "In 2022-23, the AHL will have 23 teams participating in the postseason."  https://theahl.com/23playoffprimer

Sorry.  Didn't realize the Pacific division went to 10 teams with the addition of the 32nd team.  They ONLY have 7 teams make the playoffs, so they have 3 teams miss out.

My bad.  D'oh!

57 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They don't all get trophies. 😇

The 17 teams out west and 15 teams in the east is messy, but they do a lot of hand-wavey best-of-three with a few byes to get each division down to 4 teams for the semifinals.

The important thing for Kulich & the Gang is to win today and stay out of that opening 3-game series and get right to Syracuse.

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

They don't all get trophies. 😇

The 17 teams out west and 15 teams in the east is messy, but they do a lot of hand-wavey best-of-three with a few byes to get each division down to 4 teams for the semifinals.

The important thing for Kulich & the Gang is to win today and stay out of that opening 3-game series and get right to Syracuse.

Kulich is probably out a couple weeks. Biro out. Kozak out. Warren out. They’re shot. Looked tired and slow this weekend. Anything can happen once the playoffs start, but likely a quick exit this season. 

From what I've seen from this year highlights, the Amerks have similar needs to the Sabres. Defense and goalie. And that's the foundation of a successful team. Otherwise, you're putting desert in front of meat and potatoes.

Edited by Quint

33 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Kulich is probably out a couple weeks. Biro out. Kozak out. Warren out. They’re shot. Looked tired and slow this weekend. Anything can happen once the playoffs start, but likely a quick exit this season. 

What happened to Kulich?  Didn't see him get injured.  But we had to leave early as our table at Dinosaur was ready sooner than we expected.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What happened to Kulich?  Didn't see him get injured.  But we had to leave early as our table at Dinosaur was ready sooner than we expected.

He didn’t finish the game yesterday. Got hit with a puck in the skate I believe. Appert speculated he could be out weeks. Rumor is he got on the bus for todays game, but I doubt he plays. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Why did Syracuse get 2nd when they tied for points but the Amerks have more wins?

From the Crunch website:

The best-of-five series will begin in Syracuse with Game 1 on Friday, April 21 and Game 2 on Saturday, April 22. The Crunch will travel to face the Amerks for Game 3 on Friday, April 28 and Game 4 on Sunday, April 30, if necessary. Syracuse will host Game 5 on Saturday, May 6, if necessary.

Single game ticket prices for the North Division Semifinals are $25, $27 and $29.

4 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Why did Syracuse get 2nd when they tied for points but the Amerks have more wins?

From the Crunch website:

The best-of-five series will begin in Syracuse with Game 1 on Friday, April 21 and Game 2 on Saturday, April 22. The Crunch will travel to face the Amerks for Game 3 on Friday, April 28 and Game 4 on Sunday, April 30, if necessary. Syracuse will host Game 5 on Saturday, May 6, if necessary.

Single game ticket prices for the North Division Semifinals are $25, $27 and $29.

27 RWs to 25 RWs.

• 2 weeks later...

The Amerks aren’t dead yet. After last night’s win, they host game four tomorrow. A win puts them in a series-deciding game five in Syr on Derby Day 🏇🏿

By all accounts, the Syracuse defenseman were more mobile and physical in games one and two. In game three last night, Rochester set the tone physically.  Many more hits. Pressure forced Crunch turnovers.  

Quick hits from last night:

-Subban was bad. Like, maybe Houser should play game four bad. 
-officiating was worse than Subban. Nothing was consistent. However, the Crunch took two penalties on the same play and were both called…giving ROC a 5 on 3, which they converted both PP’s to essentially win the game. 
-Kulich’s goal on the PP looked like a VO heavy shot.  He might just make the Sabres next year.  
-Miersch with a hat trick. Needed someone to step up. He did tonight. 
-Jobst with a pretty short handed breakaway goal.  
-attendance wasn’t announced, but it was packed and loud. Concession lines were embarrassingly long. Eat before you come on Sunday. 
-Season ticket holders got the game free, and that could explain why it was so well attended. Many tix available for Sunday afternoon.  

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why are they wasting a week in between playoff games?  (That happened this past week, too.)

Syracuse owner is notorious for only ever scheduling weekend games. The Crunch basically have the run of the building and they almost never play weekday games. 

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The Amerks aren’t dead yet. After last night’s win, they host game four tomorrow. A win puts them in a series-deciding game five in Syr on Derby Day 🏇🏿

By all accounts, the Syracuse defenseman were more mobile and physical in games one and two. In game three last night, Rochester set the tone physically.  Many more hits. Pressure forced Crunch turnovers.  

Quick hits from last night:

-Subban was bad. Like, maybe Houser should play game four bad. 
-officiating was worse than Subban. Nothing was consistent. However, the Crunch took two penalties on the same play and were both called…giving ROC a 5 on 3, which they converted both PP’s to essentially win the game. 
-Kulich’s goal on the PP looked like a VO heavy shot.  He might just make the Sabres next year.  
-Miersch with a hat trick. Needed someone to step up. He did tonight. 
-Jobst with a pretty short handed breakaway goal.  
-attendance wasn’t announced, but it was packed and loud. Concession lines were embarrassingly long. Eat before you come on Sunday. 
-Season ticket holders got the game free, and that could explain why it was so well attended. Many tix available for Sunday afternoon.  

I read they had over 9,000.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It was packed for sure. Felt like 9k and loud like 9k. 

Sunday is looking a lot more sparse, which is kind of a bummer.  But I plan to be there. 

Just over 9,100 Friday night and I was still able to get 2 seats 2 rows behind the Amerks bench earlier in the week. 

My buddy left to get food with 5 mins left in the 1st and didn't return til after the 2nd period started (over half an hour). The food lines were stupid long. 

On 4/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, Amerks8796 said:

Syracuse owner is notorious for only ever scheduling weekend games. The Crunch basically have the run of the building and they almost never play weekday games. 

I mean, not a bad strategy to try and maximize attendance. In situations where the margins aren't great for minor league teams I can't fault him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.