The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think TP is the only one who knows what really happened and with NDAs and whatever I doubt any of us will ever really know, but the power structure shifted and so did the direction. It was a bizarre moment and the franchise did change after it. 

I could swear Tim Murray was already in the building before PLF's departure.

56 minutes ago, shrader said:

Honestly, I feel a bit iffy mentioning the strength of draft when you're already down to the 6th round.  I like my last scenario most of all, where they're just not interested in anyone at that point.  I guess that does kind of go along with strength of draft.

Yeah, ultimately, it seems like something not worth the effort and on par with drafting Taro Tsujimoto considering how many picks they’ve had.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Honestly, I feel a bit iffy mentioning the strength of draft when you're already down to the 6th round.  I like my last scenario most of all, where they're just not interested in anyone at that point.  I guess that does kind of go along with strength of draft.

And it's highly likely they would've just grabbed a guy that would never make it had they kept the pick.  Aka as you imply they saw 0 value in the original pick.  They managed to use the new pick to move up and THAT was value to them.

Still mildly unhappy they couldn't convert some cap space from last year & this into picks in this year's draft or next year's.  THOSE would also have value.  But that cap space is gone, just like Johnson likely will be in 3 months.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I could swear Tim Murray was already in the building before PLF's departure.

I'm not debating that aspect. What I'm saying is that Murray got full control and proceeded to ***** things up royally. There might still be an argument as to why Lafontaine left, but I think there has to have been some sort of conflict over direction and the "plan" at that time. In any event, I think we will agree that Murray was a bad hire and a rookie GM like that should have never had the control he had and the ability to make all those poor decisions he made. 

If only they'd hired Rick Dudley above him, it might have ALL been different..........................

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not debating that aspect. What I'm saying is that Murray got full control and proceeded to ***** things up royally. There might still be an argument as to why Lafontaine left, but I think there has to have been some sort of conflict over direction and the "plan" at that time. In any event, I think we will agree that Murray was a bad hire and a rookie GM like that should have never had the control he had and the ability to make all those poor decisions he made. 

If only they'd hired Rick Dudley above him, it might have ALL been different..........................

But who hired Murray? Was it our President of Hockey Operations?

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But who hired Murray? Was it our President of Hockey Operations?

If I remember correctly Pat hired Tim to work under him but then something happened and Pat quit or was pushed out. I don't remember any clarity on what happened, I assume people signed NDAs. Tim without a smarter boss above him was a recipe for disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m glad someone brought your first sentence up. All 6th round picks are not created equal.

The rest of the list, as usual, is spot on as well. 

He traded it STRAIGHT UP WITH ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ADDITIONAL ADDED. It was the smooth brain move to end all smooth brain moves.

• Haha (+1) 1

This kid really blew it. He missed out on an opportunity to play big minutes for a team making a championship run. Where would that have put him in training camp this fall? Had he played well, he could have been penciled into a spot in Buffalo. Instead, he’s sitting around at home. Someone gave him very bad advice. 

6 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

This kid really blew it. He missed out on an opportunity to play big minutes for a team making a championship run. Where would that have put him in training camp this fall? Had he played well, he could have been penciled into a spot in Buffalo. Instead, he’s sitting around at home. Someone gave him very bad advice. 

Meanwhile Zach Metsa is making the most of his chance.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I get the impression that KA and Co. actually preferred the 2nd round compensation once they explained to Johnson the career path they envisioned for him and Johnson rejected it. I think Johnson has a much higher opinion of his abilities than the Sabres’ brass does. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I get the impression that KA and Co. actually preferred the 2nd round compensation once they explained to Johnson the career path they envisioned for him and Johnson rejected it. I think Johnson has a much higher opinion of his abilities than the Sabres’ brass does. 

IF that's the case, and it's an if, and IF they can't get a 2023 second (or even third) for his rights by working through his agent, and that's another one, then the right course is to just let August happen.  

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Meanwhile Zach Metsa is making the most of his chance.

Metsa was a great signing

Older (24) and 5’9 but some guys just have it. Captained his college team to a Frozen 4 title and is playing a regular shift for Rochester. He is so solid.

He has battled through so much in his career I can see him making the NHL and being a solid contributor.

• Like (+1) 1

It is incredible to me how they have handled that, Johnson.  That Johnson has developed quite a big head.  Someone in upper management needs to put some hands on that Johnson and straighten it out.  There is also the possibility that Johnson is very soft and may not be able to stand up in the NHL.  Another thing, I cannot remember a big Johnson ever making it on the ice?  Most Johnson's shrink.

Edited by MISabresFan

52 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

It is incredible to me how they have handled that, Johnson.  That Johnson has developed quite a big head.  Someone in upper management needs to put some hands on that Johnson and straighten it out.  There is also the possibility that Johnson is very soft and may not be able to stand up in the NHL.  Another thing, I cannot remember a big Johnson ever making it on the ice?  Most Johnson's shrink.

image.jpeg.99a176ff7cb60ade182944d66dc5dfdb.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1