The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Why is there a “watch”  for this guy?

Also: Is this the same player that was previously discussed - some months ago - as a prospect who would presumably not want to sign here?

In reverse order:  yes, and that's why.

• Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Why is there a “watch”  for this guy?

Also: Is this the same player that was previously discussed - some months ago - as a prospect who would presumably not want to sign here?

Adams told the season ticket holders (hope I'm remembering our insiders correctly) that Johnson will be an NHL player and that the ball is in his court and he has a decision to make,

I assume he will make it eventually.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Adams told the season ticket holders (hope I'm remembering our insiders correctly) that Johnson will be an NHL player and that the ball is in his court and he has a decision to make,

I assume he will make it eventually.

Granted personal decisions have many idiosyncratic factors that come into play that cannot be discerned by a stranger, it would be close to inexplicable to me that a young defenseman would look at the Sabres and pass. They are primed to ascend and need D. Perfect opportunity looking from the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Granted personal decisions have many idiosyncratic factors that come into play that cannot be discerned by a stranger, it would be close to inexplicable to me that a young defenseman would look at the Sabres and pass. They are primed to ascend and need D. Perfect opportunity looking from the outside.

This, plus no one else can burn a year so from a long term financial impact, it’s a no brainer.

On the other hand, like you said, no one knows what truly motivates someone else.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If he passes on Buffalo it is not the current team, it is the look of the last 10 years or something else about the team or the City.   

I am surprised he is not signed yet, but the whole business of signing him now and burning a year of ELC is not great for the Sabres.   Why would he rush to sign him now?   Next week makes more sense.  

1 hour ago, CTJoe said:

Harington saying the Sabres might not be that high on him and rather have the 2024 2nd rounder than signing him??

Given the dearth of D prospects in their pipeline, I don't think the Sabres should be overly picky.

Edited by JustOneParade
typo
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

38 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Assuming he signs this week, how many games/seasons before the Sabres have to waive their Johnson if they send him down to the AHL?

Instead of waiving our Johnson, perhaps we should see if other teams are willing to grab our Johnson in a deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

If he passes on Buffalo it is not the current team, it is the look of the last 10 years or something else about the team or the City.   

I am surprised he is not signed yet, but the whole business of signing him now and burning a year of ELC is not great for the Sabres.   Why would he rush to sign him now?   Next week makes more sense.  

First, you don’t know why he might pass. Just as likely, maybe more likely, that it has nothing to do with Buffalo.

Second, Toronto and Minnesota both signed their guys by agreeing to burn a year. It’s how it’s done.

I get the ELC burning of a year is a disadvantage but in the big picture I don't think it matters that much.  If he plays 3rd pairing, he is not going to cost too much with his first RFA.  If something crazy happens with him and he's burning it up, will that be bad?  You either pay him or trade him.

He'll only have a 2-year window to show what his initial worth is.  He's going to be 22 years old by camp.  What's the difference if he would have signed last year and burned a year down in Rochester?  If signing him now gets him signed, do it.  It's better than him moving on to another team.  

• dislike 1

The Sabres may want him to sign a Rochester tryout contract so he can play in the AHL playoffs (I'm not sure trhis is even possible at this point??) while Johnson may want to sign an NHL contract so he burns a year of his entry contract.

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

First, you don’t know why he might pass. Just as likely, maybe more likely, that it has nothing to do with Buffalo.

Second, Toronto and Minnesota both signed their guys by agreeing to burn a year. It’s how it’s done.

Thanks for the info on Toronto and Minnesota, I did not know that burning a year of ELC is "how is it done" today.  Another nice perk for the NCAA guys.    

As for why he might pass.  I sure don't know why he might pass, I also think that  it is entirely possible that Adams could take a position that drives Johnson to pass on Buffalo, and then acquire the 2nd round compensatory pick.    

16 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

The Sabres may want him to sign a Rochester tryout contract so he can play in the AHL playoffs (I'm not sure trhis is even possible at this point??) while Johnson may want to sign an NHL contract so he burns a year of his entry contract.

If i was Johnson i would take the money and burn a year 

• Agree 1