The Johnson watch has started

Turbo44

3 minutes ago, Contempt said:

In a perfect world, I want Johnson to make Jokiharju expendable in addition to the team bringing in another solid defender in the off-season to bump the 5 and 6 down a peg.

You’re 100% right here. For a defensive dman, Joker is way to unreliable is his own zone. For whatever reason, Bryson and him have regressed this season (Bryson much more so than Joker though)

• dislike 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Even if he signed right now he should not play in a Sabres games until and IF we get eliminated.   

I hope he signs and has a nice career for us.  

Because there is no chance he can be better than Boosh or Stillman?

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'd be shocked if he didn't sign here...immediate spot open on a young and highly talented team that will be likely making a cup run in a few years...almost a no-brainer and perfect situation to become a part of.

Yup. He knows wherever he goes he'll play (at least start) in the AHL next season and then who knows. With the Sabres he knows he can get games this year to knock the year off the ELC and even if he'll start in the AHL next season his prime contenders are Bryson, Clague, and Stillman. And he has to believe in himself that he can supplant Joker within a couple seasons. Playing alongside Power or Dahlin would look really good on that resume for a 2nd contract.

Edit: Especially since he's not an offensive defenseman and won't ever have the PP point totals to generate big $.

Edit addendum: Reading this thread: Ohhhhh. I get it. You're all making allusions to the moisture farmer family on Tatooine with a similar last name.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • dislike 1

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'd be shocked if he didn't sign here...immediate spot open on a young and highly talented team that will be likely making a cup run in a few years...almost a no-brainer and perfect situation to become a part of.

Correct plus he said he was very impressed with the Sabres organization and gave no indicaction he wasn’t signing here.

plus, if KA knew he wasn’t signing he would have traded him for a 2nd (the same comp he gets if he doesn’t sign)

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

3 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Probably correct but can he be worse than our bottom 2 pairing?

problem is with 4 games in 5 nights to end season he won’t get a practice in.

Exactly.  We are playing 4 games in 5 days starting tomorrow.   He wont be ready right away.  

Edited by Pimlach

I think assuming that Johnson will play next season in the NHL and will improve their top 6 is a pretty big leap.    He’s a good prospect who’s had a good college career, but he’s far from a can’t-miss.  I expect that he’ll need at least one full season in Rochester before he’s ready to be an NHL regular.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

So, given the last responses, it's safe to categorize this guy as a more typical D prospect and the real point of this thread is simply to pivot off the title "Johnson watch".

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

So, given the last responses, it's safe to categorize this guy as a more typical D prospect and the real point of this thread is simply to pivot off the title "Johnson watch".

Aside from the cheap opportunity for mirth, there is some interest or mild anxiety because he could walk and become a free agent. Folks don't like the look of yet another college draft pick spurning the team. You'd get a second round comp pick if he did, but that is still a depreciation of a first round choice. I think he has a pretty high floor and would contribute to the d depth. I am not certain he would need a full year at Rochester. Playing out his NCAA career is a reasonable amount of development. He's not a 17 year old kid. Still need to draft the position early and add some veteran D. I think they need to bring in a top 4D in the offseason. Losing out on Johnson hurts the aggregation of talent at a position of need.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think assuming that Johnson will play next season in the NHL and will improve their top 6 is a pretty big leap.    He’s a good prospect who’s had a good college career, but he’s far from a can’t-miss.  I expect that he’ll need at least one full season in Rochester before he’s ready to be an NHL regular.  

You are right that one can't assume how good he is going to be right away in the NHL or after a stint in the minors. His play is going to demonstrate whether he can play right away or not. If he comes into camp next year and shines, then he will make the big club roster. If the staff believes that he needs to start off in Rochester, then, again, his play will determine when will be called up. Is his maximum potential a lower pairing defender, or is the potential for a higher pairing, most likely a third pairing defender? I don't know. No one knows at this point. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:
3 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

Will he be able to burn a year with us seeing as there are so few games left?  
And do playoff games count if he needs to hit a certain amount? 

Yes the second he signs he burns a year 

More on the subject of college players signing:

College players and teams have the option to sign “future contracts” which will take effect at the commencement of the next league year or a “current contract” that is effective immediately. A current contract will use up, or “burn,” the first year of the player’s entry-level deal, even if the player plays in just a single game that season. 

A player doesn’t accrue a completed season for the purposes of free agency, salary arbitration eligibility or expansion protection until he has played 10 games in a season, but for the purpose of burning a year of the ELC, one game is all it takes.

34 minutes ago, ... said:

Which I am NOT okay with.  I have Bashful Bladder.