April 4th 2023. This is the season.

steveoath

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This may all be for nothing anyway. With Pittsburgh winning today they are in control with an easy easy schedule. 

IF the Sabres win their games in hand, they're tied with NYI and FLA.  If they beat FLA Tuesday that will put them ahead of FLA (again, if they win their games in hand).  None of the three teams ahead of the Sabres have been going like gangbusters.  The Sabres just need to win and the rest will take care of itself I think.

Tuesday's game really is The Season.  Beat the Panthers and it brings them that much closer to a WC spot; lose and the Panthers have the upper hand.  If the Sabres win though they just need PIT or NYI to falter just a bit.

The problem is that the Sabres will probably also falter along the way.  It's a good playoff race.  The Sabres had an opportunity to seize control over the last month but couldn't do it.  Hoping Tage's return and the magic of Levi can put them over the top.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

IF the Sabres win their games in hand, they're tied with NYI and FLA.  If they beat FLA Tuesday that will put them ahead of FLA (again, if they win their games in hand).  None of the three teams ahead of the Sabres have been going like gangbusters.  The Sabres just need to win and the rest will take care of itself I think.

Tuesday's game really is The Season.  Beat the Panthers and it brings them that much closer to a WC spot; lose and the Panthers have the upper hand.  If the Sabres win though they just need PIT or NYI to falter just a bit.

The problem is that the Sabres will probably also falter along the way.  It's a good playoff race.  The Sabres had an opportunity to seize control over the last month but couldn't do it.  Hoping Tage's return and the magic of Levi can put them over the top.

Sabres have shown they play pretty well when they are chasing teams but puke all over themselves when they have a chance to pull away.  Call it youth or maybe putting too much pressure on themselves mentally when they are in position to really pull away but they have played some of their worst hockey the games after they catch teams and can pass them with a win.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Sabres have shown they play pretty well when they are chasing teams but puke all over themselves when they have a chance to pull away.  Call it youth or maybe putting too much pressure on themselves mentally when they are in position to really pull away but they have played some of their worst hockey the games after they catch teams and can pass them with a win.

It will be interesting to see how they do if they need a win at the very end to get in.

Holy mackerel tomorrow night is huge.

Current WC standings:

Islanders  -- 78 GP, 87 pts

Pittsburgh -- 77 GP, 86 pts

Florida -- 77 GP, 85 pts

Buffalo -- 75 GP, 81 pts

Ottawa -- 77 GP, 80 pts

Games tomorrow night:

Buffalo   @  Florida

Pittsburgh  @  New Jersey

Ottawa   @  Carolina

Come on Sabres.  Give us another week of thrills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Holy mackerel tomorrow night is huge.

Current WC standings:

Islanders  -- 78 GP, 87 pts

Pittsburgh -- 77 GP, 86 pts

Florida -- 77 GP, 85 pts

Buffalo -- 75 GP, 81 pts

Ottawa -- 77 GP, 80 pts

Games tomorrow night:

Buffalo   @  Florida

Pittsburgh  @  New Jersey

Ottawa   @  Carolina

Come on Sabres.  Give us another week of thrills.

It's still feasible that the Sabres take WC #1.

45 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's still feasible that the Sabres take WC #1.

It's possible.  But at this point, don't see the Pens losing after their next 2 games.  (Had thought the game after Joisey was against another bottom feeder, maybe there's hope they lose 2 in a row.)   Unfortunately have a gut feel that they beat Minny.  Last night was the night they were set up to choke one away but DeSmith would have none of it.  

After Minny, they finish with Detroit, Chicago, and Columbus.  They either have to lose to Joisey and the Wild or find a loss somewhere in those other 3 games for the Sabres to have a realistic chance.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Well yes we are mathematically alive and it is possible but I suspect we will miss by just a point or three and that's why I'm so frustrated over this season. It wouldn't have taken that much to get us another half dozen points (or more). imo KA didn't believe in his own team and blew this opportunity. 

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well yes we are mathematically alive and it is possible but I suspect we will miss by just a point or three and that's why I'm so frustrated over this season. It wouldn't have taken that much to get us another half dozen points (or more). imo KA didn't believe in his own team and blew this opportunity. 

Ottawa used this dumb talking point of "showing the team he believed in them" when getting Chychrun, and look where that has gotten them. They're done. Stillman has arguably had just as big of an impact as Chychrun. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Stillman? Impact? That's delusional. 

Dude, we get it. You need someone to blame. Greenway has a goal in each of our last two wins. Was that a positive impact orchestrated by KA, or just luck.

It's funny how everything good that they did you attribute to getting lucky and everything bad is their fault.

40 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He got the #6 spot over Bryson against Philly now that Samuelsson is back. That's a kind of impact.

Chychrun played in 12 games with the Sens before getting hurt. Hasn't played since March 23rd. In those games, he had a grand total of 5 points and was a -1 overall, with only 1 point in his last 8 games. 

Stillman has 3 points and is a +3 in that timeframe. That, plus Greenways recent production, and I think its a fair argument to say we had the better deadline. Lol

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

We were not likely to do much damage in the playoffs this year anyways. I wouldn't give up any assets from this team until the offseason. Making the playoffs this season wasn't a necessity, next year will be. I'm not frustrated at all, I'm enjoying this development season for what it is, and next year who knows how far we can take it with another year of maturity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Sure they keep hope alive if they win tomorrow.

That said, even if they do win, their chances are still slim... IMO it's not that big of a game. 

Their next game is always the biggest. 

They're the "in the hunt" team at like 7-8 with 2 games left in the NFL.  They need to win both, and some stuff to happen to get there, but its not out of the realm of possibility.  

I think winning 7 straight, and 9 straight overall is not going to happen.  Pittsburgh winning 5 straight is also very unlikely, especially for a sub .500 team on the road with 3 road games left.  Florida's streaky, and the islanders are really dependent on solid goaltending and getting ahead early. 

A lot to happen but id say for buffalo to have any semblance of a chance, we need at least 5 wins and probably 11 points - with the Florida one being extra since we're chasing them.  Even with all that happening it'd still be very much a long shot. 

17 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

They're the "in the hunt" team at like 7-8 with 2 games left in the NFL.  They need to win both, and some stuff to happen to get there, but its not out of the realm of possibility.  

I think winning 7 straight, and 9 straight overall is not going to happen.  Pittsburgh winning 5 straight is also very unlikely, especially for a sub .500 team on the road with 3 road games left.  Florida's streaky, and the islanders are really dependent on solid goaltending and getting ahead early. 

A lot to happen but id say for buffalo to have any semblance of a chance, we need at least 5 wins and probably 11 points - with the Florida one being extra since we're chasing them.  Even with all that happening it'd still be very much a long shot. 

With 3 of their last 7 against CAR, @NYR, @NJD with 2 back-to-backs I don't like their chances even with a win tomorrow.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Stillman? Impact? That's delusional. 

Levi won his first game that he played in. Are you assuming that his addition won't turn out to be a positive addition? You are tormenting yourself with your "what if" attitude toward this hockey team. Over the last five games, the Sabres have earned 9 out of 10 points. That's something to be a little happy about. It's gotten to the point where you can't even acknowledge when this team is doing well. You are good at being miserable because you work so hard at it. Try some cheap gritty Italian red wine with a lot of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.  It will perk you up and give you a nice rosy glow. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Dude, we get it. You need someone to blame. Greenway has a goal in each of our last two wins. Was that a positive impact orchestrated by KA, or just luck.

It's funny how everything good that they did you attribute to getting lucky and everything bad is their fault.

I've never said that. The only time I suggested it might have been luck was Granato moving Thompson to center. I doubt they expected him to suddenly get as good as he did. 

I liked the idea of picking up Greenway but then he kind of sucked and wasn't what I thought he was and now he's popped two goals in but otherwise has still kind of sucked so idk about him. Time will tell I guess. 

7 hours ago, wiselyman3 said:

Chychrun played in 12 games with the Sens before getting hurt. Hasn't played since March 23rd. In those games, he had a grand total of 5 points and was a -1 overall, with only 1 point in his last 8 games. 

Stillman has 3 points and is a +3 in that timeframe. That, plus Greenways recent production, and I think its a fair argument to say we had the better deadline. Lol

Are you seriously trying to imply Stillman is better than Chychrun? lol

He is better than Bryson, but who isn't? 

6 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

We were not likely to do much damage in the playoffs this year anyways. I wouldn't give up any assets from this team until the offseason. Making the playoffs this season wasn't a necessity, next year will be. I'm not frustrated at all, I'm enjoying this development season for what it is, and next year who knows how far we can take it with another year of maturity.

This is a major point of disagreement. I'm pretty sure the Bruins would knock us out fast, probably 4 straight, but I also believe that would be a huge moment for this locker room coming together and for this group to divorce themselves from the stink of the recent history. No more talking about longest streak not making the playoffs and all that other baggage. new team, new standard, new beliefs. 

Think about the difference to build on. If we'd made the playoffs this year a guy like Owen Power can become a guy who never missed the playoffs rather than our previous stars and their never played in a playoff game streaks. It would have made a huge difference.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Levi won his first game that he played in. Are you assuming that his addition won't turn out to be a positive addition? You are tormenting yourself with your "what if" attitude toward this hockey team. Over the last five games, the Sabres have earned 9 out of 10 points. That's something to be a little happy about. It's gotten to the point where you can't even acknowledge when this team is doing well. You are good at being miserable because you work so hard at it. Try some cheap gritty Italian red wine with a lot of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.  It will perk you up and give you a nice rosy glow. 

Not a big fan of Italian wine and "sediment" yuck. Get a decanter. 

I'm actually a bit of a wine snob to tell you the truth. I actually fuss over temperature, clarity, type of glass. In the end I'm very satisfied with what I drink, but my bar for decent wine is pretty high. Same for my hockey team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.