Meaningful Hockey in April!

JoeSchmoe

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Every deal isn't going to be a major deal. The GM added Lyubushkin to the unit in the offseason. And during the season he added Spellman, a lower pairing player. In addition, there was a serious attempt to deal for Chycrun. It didn't materialize. Other additions were made during the season such as adding Jost and Greenway. None of the additions were significant deals but they were deals that improved the team and its depth. 

The major element to improving this team is going to be internal improvement from the young players and drawing players from within the system. That is the approach the GM said he was going to take when he took the job, and that is exactly what he is doing. From an overview perspective, the approach he laid out and is following is working. You may not disagree with that assessment but that's okay. 

Spellman, now that guy would have been great!!!!!!!!

Yup, he added Lybushkin and when he did I said good, but it's not enough. We need at least one more and preferably one even better. 

But you can't look at a failed trade as an accomplishment. KA doesn't get a pat on the back for TRYING to trade for a guy, he gets one when he makes the trade. Yes, the price was high and an over pay, but I would have done it. Makes the D better this year and next and idc about even more picks and prospects. You never know what the future brings and making the playoffs this year would be huge for the mindset of the players on this roster now. 

As to the second paragraph, you don't need to keep saying it. Ya, we all know the plan, and nobody disagrees with the general idea. The only question is the timeline and the speed of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Spellman, now that guy would have been great!!!!!!!!

Yup, he added Lybushkin and when he did I said good, but it's not enough. We need at least one more and preferably one even better. 

But you can't look at a failed trade as an accomplishment. KA doesn't get a pat on the back for TRYING to trade for a guy, he gets one when he makes the trade. Yes, the price was high and an over pay, but I would have done it. Makes the D better this year and next and idc about even more picks and prospects. You never know what the future brings and making the playoffs this year would be huge for the mindset of the players on this roster now. 

As to the second paragraph, you don't need to keep saying it. Ya, we all know the plan, and nobody disagrees with the general idea. The only question is the timeline and the speed of it. 

Odds are that additions will be made in the offseason. 

As far as the timeline and speed of it, I'm more than satisfied with the pace. In fact, in my view it is a year ahead of schedule. If you are not willing to be patient, you are going to frustrate yourself. Be a little more patient and in moderation drink a little more. It will calm your self-induced agitated nerves. 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I have to admit I’ve had a love hate relationship with this team this year. I think they’ve won about 10% of the games I’ve watched beginning to end this year but I keep coming back for more

As a staunch Sabre fan I have a simple request: Stop watching the games. The fortunes of this team may dramatically change. 🤡

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Odds are that additions will be made in the offseason. 

As far as the timeline and speed of it, I'm more than satisfied with the pace. In fact, in my view it is a year ahead of schedule. If you are not willing to be patient, you are going to frustrate yourself. Be a little more patient and in moderation drink a little more. It will calm your self-induced agitated nerves. 

Good lord it's been 11 years who ISN'T patient here???? 

You assume linear progression, but there are no future guarantees. Key players could have injuries, draft prospects could bust, somebody might even lose their love or have an off year. Bunch of things go wrong at once it becomes 12, 13........x number of years. A missed moment is a missed moment. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well Ottawa has a ton of injuries but is just about even with us when they were further behind and Pittsburgh will still likely be the WC but every team is different and has different needs and flaws. 

Are you seriously going to suggest that our lack of D depth DIDN'T create the losing streak when Samuelsson etc. went down? That losing streak is the difference. You don't even have to get into a discussion of how better goaltending could have saved a few more games, that streak was it right there.  

I’m seriously suggesting loading up at the trade deadline is no guarantee of going on a run.

Ottawa and PIttsburgh have worse records than us since the trade deadline despite making moves to,address their perceived flaws.

Florida did absolutely nothing and they have the best record of the 4 teams most in the race.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Every deal isn't going to be a major deal. The GM added Lyubushkin to the unit in the offseason. And during the season he added Spellman, a lower pairing player. In addition, there was a serious attempt to deal for Chycrun. It didn't materialize. Other additions were made during the season such as adding Jost and Greenway. None of the additions were significant deals but they were deals that improved the team and its depth. 

The major element to improving this team is going to be internal improvement from the young players and drawing players from within the system. That is the approach the GM said he was going to take when he took the job, and that is exactly what he is doing. From an overview perspective, the approach he laid out and is following is working. You may not disagree with that assessment but that's okay. 

He is questioning the pace of the rebuild.  Not whether Adams is sticking to his plan.   Which is a legitimate talking point since they are so close and so prospect rich.  

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He is questioning the pace of the rebuild.  Not whether Adams is sticking to his plan.   Which is a legitimate talking point since they are so close and so prospect rich.  

His starting point for KA's rebuilding isn't when he took over. His starting clock goes back to when Pegula took over, around 10 years ago. That's the source of our fundamental disagreement when each of us assesses KA's work as a GM. This particular GM took over around three years ago. He came in with the intention of fundamentally altering how this franchise operated. In three years, he got rid of the old core and reshuffled the remaining roster. He literally rebuilt the organization from top to bottom, restocked the depleted farm system and has this team competing for a playoff spot. In my view, that is a relatively fast turnaround. In his view, it's never good enough. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good lord it's been 11 years who ISN'T patient here???? 

You assume linear progression, but there are no future guarantees. Key players could have injuries, draft prospects could bust, somebody might even lose their love or have an off year. Bunch of things go wrong at once it becomes 12, 13........x number of years. A missed moment is a missed moment. 

How long has KA been on the freaking job? Three years, not eleven. You are blaming him for the ills of the past. That makes no bloody sense. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

I have to admit I’ve had a love hate relationship with this team this year. I think they’ve won about 10% of the games I’ve watched beginning to end this year but I keep coming back for more

A lot is riding on the next few weeks, if you could keep your TV off that’d be great. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

April and not just mathematically still alive, but with a win on Tuesday they could be breathing down teams' necks with a 1-2 games in hand on each of the direct competitors (FLA, PIT). If only PIT would lose a few more and make it interesting.

Baby steps. You've got to learn to walk before you can make the precise calculations needed to make the jump to hyperspace.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

How long has KA been on the freaking job? Three years, not eleven. You are blaming him for the ills of the past. That makes no bloody sense. 

A lot of fans are in that boat as well. They can’t separate the two.

My favorite line is “he better do X, Y, or Z”

oh yea, and if he doesn’t? Whatcha gonna do, not be a fan of the Sabres anymore? 😂

All talk …

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m seriously suggesting loading up at the trade deadline is no guarantee of going on a run.

Ottawa and PIttsburgh have worse records than us since the trade deadline despite making moves to,address their perceived flaws.

Florida did absolutely nothing and they have the best record of the 4 teams most in the race.

You're misunderstanding me though. My argument has been since last off season, before this one even started and I had no interest in loading up at the deadline. I would have made the Chychrun deal, but he's signed for next year as well, so that's not a deadline rental. D depth and goaltending needed to be addressed before this season started. 

Actually, I suppose my argument started when they failed to re-sign Ullmark and decided Anderson was adequate. 

On 4/2/2023 at 1:51 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, it's good to have meaningful hockey this late in a season, but it's also still looking like what I feared, a blown opportunity by management who underestimated this team going in to the season and then stubbornly stuck to their 3-5 year plan instead of giving this team the little nudge in the right direction they deserved. 

So many opportunities to just tweak that little bit and get us those handful of extra points.....................

Don’t live this way man.  It’s taking years off your life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

A lot of fans are in that boat as well. They can’t separate the two.

My favorite line is “he better do X, Y, or Z”

oh yea, and if he doesn’t? Whatcha gonna do, not be a fan of the Sabres anymore? 😂

All talk …

It’s not only fans that talk that way. Team reporters do as well.  They get all preachy. I don’t need the geriatric version of events bud.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.