Some Fancy Stats Comparisons from the past two seasons

Brawndo

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

It's crazy they had under a 3.00 GAA with under .900 save percentage...they must have been exceptional at blocking shots and preventing shots.

The late '90s going down into the dead puck era were a magical time.

Also, those late '90s Red Wings were an amazing defensive team for many reasons (namely a Hall of Fame studded roster), but one of the biggest reasons is they possessed the puck all the time. They were as fun to watch as Buffalo for the opposite reason... they had the puck and were threatening to score, whereas the Sabres didn't have the puck and were being threatened to be scored upon... and then would get a rush goal after Hasek made yet another routine amazing save.

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

eAnd again, the 3-5 year timeline is for becoming and remaining a Stanley Cup contender.  That is the overarching goal.  Would also point out that Adams did not state what year 1 was in that 3-5 year timeline.  You can assume it was next year, but don't believe that is necessarily so.

He actually said publicly that yes, they are shooting for the playoffs next season.  (He also actually said, he wants to be in by 10 points so they aren't scrambling like they are this season.)  This is new and different.

The timeline even to become a Cup Contender is now.  A team with one of the top 3-4 offenses in the sports with a top line of players squarely in their primes should be a contender now.  In 3 years Thompson, the youngest member of the top line will be 28, Skinner 33, and Tuch 29.  What the heck is KA waiting for?  The team’s needs are not that great and can be fixed with 3 or so smart acquisitions. One goaltender who can play 50 games, one veteran D who can play with Power and 1 or 2 depth forwards to give us a true physical 4th line.  

At some point this GM is going to have to step up and take a risk and force this team to take the next step.  This doesn’t mean giving up the next 3 years worth of top draft picks or dumping every top prospect in the system, but moving a few assets, such as Rosen, or Östlund, and/or a few draft picks to fix these holes is honestly a necessity at this point if KA is truly going to address the top issues with this team.  Band-aids like Comrie and Lyubushkin won’t cut it any longer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The timeline even to become a Cup Contender is now.  A team with one of the top 3-4 offenses in the sports with a top line of players squarely in their primes should be a contender now.  In 3 years Thompson, the youngest member of the top line will be 28, Skinner 33, and Tuch 29.  What the heck is KA waiting for?  The team’s needs are not that great and can be fixed with 3 or so smart acquisitions. One goaltender who can play 50 games, one veteran D who can play with Power and 1 or 2 depth forwards to give us a true physical 4th line.  

At some point this GM is going to have to step up and take a risk and force this team to take the next step.  This doesn’t mean giving up the next 3 years worth of top draft picks or dumping every top prospect in the system, but moving a few assets, such as Rosen, or Östlund, and/or a few draft picks to fix these holes is honestly a necessity at this point if KA is truly going to address the top issues with this team.  Band-aids like Comrie and Lyubushkin won’t cut it any longer.

Do you interpret the 3-5 years comment as Adams not being willing to make the moves you suggest for 3-5 years?

I don’t. I interpret it as him not being willing to make moves today that would ***** up his salary cap 3-5 years from now.

Maybe @Taro T or someone else who was at his Q&A can clarify.

Separate and not really aimed at you, but your post sparked it: something I see a lot is Rosen and Östlund being grouped together as a step below Kulich and Savoie.

In my view, Östlund is far closer to the first 2 than to Rosen. 

Granted, I’m not huge on Rosen, but I see him with a Tyler Ennis ceiling and a Alex Nylander floor.

Östlund has both a higher ceiling - legit 2-way 2C - and a safer floor, as in Tyson Jost, maybe? I don’t see him busting.

He’s ultra-smart, fast and competitive. Never stops skating, always around the play, always on the right side of the puck, one-touch passing his way around the ice. All the things we liked about Asplund as a prospect, but much more offensively gifted and involved.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

n my view, Östlund is far closer to the first 2 than to Rosen. 

I’m not saying Östlund isn’t good.  In fact, it’s the opposite, but you have to give to get.  TNT was Stl’s 3rd best prospect at the time and that’s how I view Östlund.  

Unlike Stl, we don’t need a top 2 center, but we need a top 4 D or a goaltender.  Getting a top 4 D, unless signing a UFA will cost a first or a someone like Östlund.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This team is on the exact same timeline as the '03-'06 Canes were on.  Have been pointing that out for a while.  He said playoffs are the goal next year but he wants to be 10 points into the playoffs at this point next year so they aren't scrambling.  He's never waivered that his long term goal is perennial Stanley Cup contender.  (Too much luck involved in any given year with only 1 team actually winning it all to make winning the Cup in a particular year the goal.  But, if you're always a contender you should actually be able to win it once or twice.)

This team is MUCH younger than that team was which might push being a true contender back a year or 2 as the kids season, but it also should keep the window open much longer once it does open.

Have said many times the moves that IMHO need to be made.  We are close to agreement upon those.

And am pretty sure that if Rosen needs to go to bring in one of those pieces, he's out of here. 

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you interpret the 3-5 years comment as Adams not being willing to make the moves you suggest for 3-5 years?

I don’t. I interpret it as him not being willing to make moves today that would ***** up his salary cap 3-5 years from now.

Maybe @Taro T or someone else who was at his Q&A can clarify.

Separate and not really aimed at you, but your post sparked it: something I see a lot is Rosen and Östlund being grouped together as a step below Kulich and Savoie.

In my view, Östlund is far closer to the first 2 than to Rosen. 

Granted, I’m not huge on Rosen, but I see him with a Tyler Ennis ceiling and a Alex Nylander floor.

Östlund has both a higher ceiling - legit 2-way 2C - and a safer floor, as in Tyson Jost, maybe? I don’t see him busting.

He’s ultra-smart, fast and competitive. Never stops skating, always around the play, always on the right side of the puck, one-touch passing his way around the ice. All the things we liked about Asplund as a prospect, but much more offensively gifted and involved.

Rosen wasn't mentioned as one of the prospects.  Östlund was.  Take whatever inferences you wish out of that.

Is it unreasonable to believe that a team who is comfortably in the playoffs by 10 points is automatically at least a dark horse as a Stanley Cup contender?  By my definition, GMKA wants this team to be an outside Cup contender next season.  I just expect that it means that he won't make what he considers an overpayment for an asset next season, which a serious contender is wont to do.  YMMV.

Edited by Marvin
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This team is on the exact same timeline as the '03-'06 Canes were on.  Have been pointing that out for a while.  He said playoffs are the goal next year but he wants to be 10 points into the playoffs at this point next year so they aren't scrambling.  He's never waivered that his long term goal is perennial Stanley Cup contender.  (Too much luck involved in any given year with only 1 team actually winning it all to make winning the Cup in a particular year the goal.  But, if you're always a contender you should actually be able to win it once or twice.)

This team is MUCH younger than that team was which might push being a true contender back a year or 2 as the kids season, but it also should keep the window open much longer once it does open.

Have said many times the moves that IMHO need to be made.  We are close to agreement upon those.

And am pretty sure that if Rosen needs to go to bring in one of those pieces, he's out of here. 

Rosen wasn't mentioned as one of the prospects.  Östlund was.  Take whatever inferences you wish out of that.

I’m going to couple this with your earlier post to conclude that:

Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Kulich, Östlund, Savoie, Power and Levi are off the table as trade chips for at least the foreseeable future, because in Adams mind they are the future: they are where team improvement is coming from, they are who he is hoarding his cap space for. (I’ll add Mule to that - even if Adams didn’t - because of his contract.)

In my view, that leaves him with plenty of other chips (Rosen, other prospects and picks, cap space, Olofsson etc.) to work with to acquire the missing pieces

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m going to couple this with your earlier post to conclude that:

Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Kulich, Östlund, Savoie, Power and Levi are off the table as trade chips for at least the foreseeable future, because in Adams mind they are the future: they are where team improvement is coming from, they are who he is hoarding his cap space for. (I’ll add Mule to that - even if Adams didn’t - because of his contract.)

In my view, that leaves him with plenty of other chips (Rosen, other prospects and picks, cap space, Olofsson etc.) to work with to acquire the missing pieces

Would also say it would take a really good offer to move one of the 3 Russians.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.