My Take on B&G Insights with Kevyn Adams - 03-28-23

Taro T

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I will repeat, there is something missing that they don't have right now

i.e. it is not being delivered by the veteran presence on the roster 

Not gonna disagree.  I think all are respected pros, but none have the rep/resume to say "follow me" when push comes to shove @ playoff time ie March wildcard fight.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Not gonna disagree.  I think all are respected pros, but none have the rep/resume to say "follow me" when push comes to shove @ playoff time ie March wildcard fight.  

Actual question, not rhetorical:

who were those guys for the young Penguins, Capitals, Hawks, Lightning and Avalanche teams, the build we seem to be trying to emulate?

Can it be Dahlin and Cozens and Thompson evolving into those players? Did Toews and Backstrom and Sid and McKinnon drive the bus the whole way, or did somebody else take them to the doorstep and pass over the keys?

• Like (+1) 2

I think our veteran leadership is already here, in the form of Dahlin, Tuch and Cozens.  Yes I know Cozey is only 22 but his growth over the last year has been nothing short of phenomenal and whether he ever wears a letter or not, he is a leader on this team.  Muel too.  Quinn too.  Only Tuch is of an age where you consider him a veteran but going with the youth movement have given these guys experience beyond their years.

As for augmenting that, I think Boosh, Stillman and Greenway are the way to go, although I don't see any of them as long term Sabres.  Rather than bringing in veteran leadership I think it's going to be more of a case of bringing in steady veterans to fill holes.  In terms of roles on the ice I see steady vets backfilling Okposo and Girgs.  Eventually it will be guys that kind of "age out" of their current roles on the Sabres and bump down a line or two (Mitts for example).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

who were those guys for the young Penguins, Capitals, Hawks, Lightning and Avalanche teams, the build we seem to be trying to emulate?

Can it be Dahlin and Cozens and Thompson evolving into those players? Did Toews and Backstrom and Sid and McKinnon drive the bus the whole way, or did somebody else take them to the doorstep and pass over the keys?

I love this question.

Those Cup winning teams you mention grew their own cores and added pieces to bulk up for deep runs. The Hawks had a lot of turnover because their wins were spread out and they had cap casualties every year. One guy who was key to their Cups that was not home grown is Marian Hossa.

Hossa is an interesting character because he didn’t win a Cup elsewhere and then guide the Hawks to theirs. He did gain tons of experience by having some deep runs with the Red Wings and the Penguins, teams that had many Cup winners on them. I’m sure he learned a lot from Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Chelios, Rafalski, Osgood on the Wings and the about to burst out core of the Pens. The Pens team had Peter Sykora who had won with the Devils.

Hossa became a core piece of the Hawks after bouncing around with many teams.

The Caps added Brooks Orpik, who had won with the Pens. He was no longer an impact player but knew what it took at playoff time.

The only guy that may have served a similar role for the Avs was Darren Helm, who played with some of those old Wings guys.

The Lightning added Pat Maroon from the Blues’ Cup team.

I haven’t dove too deeply into this but I believe a core can grow together and win for the first time. Also, an addition with a winning pedigree can help, even if the on ice performance is not at peak level. This is hard to measure, intangibles is a good word for it.

An interesting case is Corey Perry, who won with the Ducks and has helped 3 teams get to the finals in recent years.

I think the Sabres need to add someone like that. In another thread I mentioned McDonagh as an example. They don’t need to play a huge role or wear a letter, just show the kids what it takes to get to the next level.

I look at the leadership of KO and Girgs as lacking in this area. They are great people and are teaching the young group how to be pros but they have not come close to winning anything.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

who were those guys for the young Penguins,

Two of their top players were Recchi (then 38) and Sergei Gonchar (then 32).  Frankly KA is wrong to cross guys like Orlov (32) off his list.  Unlike Z, Anderson and KO, Orlov is an actual Cup winner with tons of playoff experience.

The Hawks brought in Soupy and then Hossa.  

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Two of their top players were Recchi (then 38) and Sergei Gonchar (then 32).  Frankly KA is wrong to cross guys like Orlov (32) off his list.  Unlike Z, Anderson and KO, Orlov is an actual Cup winner with tons of playoff experience.

The Hawks brought in Soupy and then Hossa.  

I don't think Adams will cross Orlov — or many guys really — off his list because of age.

If any one is crossed off, it will be because of age+term.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Offer sheet Swayman. That'd be interesting. 

So according to him Greenway is here for physicality. Okay, I will believe it when I see it. 

Team's identity is forming. Okay, so what is it? Did he say? 

At least playoffs is a goal but with that little side note of not mortgaging the future so again, we shall see how committed to playoffs next year they really are. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Went to the STH Blue and Gold Insights with Kevyn Adams last night. These have grown tremendously over the past 2 years. From a Zoom call with Skinner and Mittelstadt that likely had 100 or so people take part in. To last year's one with Adams in the Lexus Club with maybe 75-100 people at. To this year with Comrie and Power which had over 100 people at it; Paterka and Quinn's talk which had a couple hundred at it; to this one that had nearly all of section 105 filled with overflow into 104 and 106

This one was hosted by Dan Dunleavy rather than Brian Duff who had done all the others. (My comments are in parenthesis.

Dan asked the 1st few questions then turned it over to the STHers

On the season to date, Adams said he felt that the team's identity was forming both as individuals and as a team and that there wasn't an identity set back in October. Not sure what the expectations should be because the team is so young. "We are in a good spot" in the big picture but still have a long way to go

Asked about Kulich driving in to watch his countryman get his 1st game. It's incredible to see that. He was really happy for his friend. And that sentiment runs through the entire team. (Not specifically for Rousek, but in general this is a tight team that wants to play for each other.

Made a point of saying how players currently are playing through injuries for their teammates and they really want to be in there

He loves the intensity

Dan's final Q was about Levi. He's very special: curious, self aware, and driven. He keeps a noteboke with him and makes notes while watching the games figuring out what drills he needs to work on to handle specific situations. He told an anecdote about watching him in an 8-3 loss and how impressed he was with his body language throughout that really awful night.

Questions were then thrown out by the audience

The 1st Q was about playoffs. Answer began with the typical 3-5 year goals for the team. But yes, the playoffs next year are the goal just like winning the Cup is a goal (only 1 team wins any year). Though they are the goal, the future won't be mortgaged to get there. That 3-5 year goal is overriding the short term one. (So, not expecting a Saros type move that would cost Savoie or Kulich; but maybe a Demko type move might be in the 

He did not want to overpay this year to keep from hurting that 3-5 year goal. He was looking for players that would help the team today and could grow with the team. He wanted defensive depth. They lacked a hard edge on D. Thus grabbing Stillman. Same thought process on bringing in Greenway.

Asked about the prospects. Quinn, Peterka, Levi, Power, Krebs, and Cozens are guys that should be prospects. He also called out Savoie (getting coached by James Patrick), Kulich, and Östlund (who he wants on this side of the pond next year, but he's ok with him staying). Ryan Johnson - he'll be an NHLer and he wants him to sign but it is his decision. Mentioned how they have some great Russian prospects. Poltapov (who is under contract for 2 more years) plays hard, fast, and (missed the last word). Neuchev. Novikov - talked about his size.

Asked about how being a former player affects how he approaches his job. Tries to maintain good relations with his players and staff. Brought Levi to his house for dinner. Likes to take players out to dinner on the road to speak with them, oftentimes guys who are having a rough go of it. Always tries to be truthful with the players.

Asked about changes in the game from when he was a kid to today. Likes that though the game is still physical that guys that are 5'6" can play in the league along wiht the 6'6" guys. Thinks the game is better now than ever before. Look for the guys that think their way around the ice. The game is still physical but it's a different kind of physical.

He was asked about how he prepared for this job and transitioned to it. Talked to a lot of people he knew from the game. "Be where your feet are."

Asked about the tiny defense and individual goal songs. Pointed out that of the top 6 D, 5 are 6'2" or bigger; Jokiharju is 6'0". Said he'd told Bryson he needs to be his competitive self. (Play to his strengths.)

As for the goal songs, he thought they were fun.

When asked about the team playing horrible in the 3rd and losing a lot of games there and also about the team getting pushed around. He pushed back stating that he'd need to be convinced that actually happens. He doesn't want our guys getting pushed around, but doesn't believe they are. Cited Joker's hit on the Hab Monday and pointed out he'd learned that hit from Dahlin. Also talked about the scrum vs the Aisles.

How to improve at home? Goal songs. (Got a big laugh) The young players are proud and don't want to let the fans down at home. He thinks they try too hard at home but just play on the road. Also mentioned the players are bothered by the rink sometimes getting taken over by visiting fans.

Asked if he'd offer sheet someone. Definitely. But it's hard to land the guy because teams find a way to match

He doesn't believe in overpaying for guys on the downside of their career, but will pay for guys on the way up. (Read, Dahlin and Power will get paid. So will the other guys that were mentioned in the current prospects.)

The goal is to always have a full funnel coming up from underneath.

Felt they were in a terible place when he took over: only 5 picks, few prospects, a bad team, and at the salary cap.

He believes strongly in where they are going.

If anybody who went heard things differently or heard stuff not included here, please add it. Thanks.

Thanks. Surprised there weren’t more questions about adding a G

I find myself wishing we went back to a singular goal song. Maybe cause I dislike half their choices but, one team, one song kinda thing, too 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I don't think Adams will cross Orlov — or many guys really — off his list because of age.

It would come down to if KA and his guys feel Orlov is still holding steady or in the decline. Furthermore what is his contractual demands.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I can't speak for other teams, but living in Maryland I paid more attention to the Capitals than any other team besides the Sabres. When Ovi first got drafted there was a vet named Chris Clark (I remember mostly since he went to my college) who was the Captain (might have been that same year, I forget exactly).

He was playing on their 4th line his last season there before being traded. When that happened they made Ovi captain, and in my opinion he wasn't ready for it. It seemed like a reaction to the Pens making Crosby captain more than a deserved/good decision. It took him a very long time for him to grow into a good captain on the ice. I can't speak to how the locker room felt about him. He's always seemed to be more of a go out and play hard kind of leader to me.

I don't really remember who the various assistants were though, or when they gave Backstrom the A.

Those teams struggled for a long time with playing great in the regular season, but falling flat in the post season. I think one of the keys was more depth. For years it was the Ovi and Backstrom show. I feel like having a solid #2 center in Evgeny Kuznetsov was a big difference maker.

But in terms of leadership, it was basically Ovi and Backstrom. It may have been too much pressure on them to not only lead, but having to carry the team on their backs. The year they finally won the cup Ovi had fully seemed to embrace being a captain, but I always feel like he was more of the lead cheerleader (he always seems to celebrate just as hard when a teammate scores then when he scores himself) than a leader of men.

Long story short I feel like the Caps tried to develop their own leaders out of their top point producers. I kind of feel like if Ovi could have just focused on scoring goals and let someone else do the leading they might have won a cup sooner, but at this point no one else could lead that team.

I think team already has more (offensive) depth than those early Caps teams, and there are good in-house candidates to take over leadership from Okposo and Girgenson. However I still want some vets who have been there. Right now the only real vet on the team with a lot of playoff experience is Tuch. He has 66 games in 4 seasons with Vegas. Okposo might be the next highest with the 24 in 3 seasons.

I love Girgensons and I'd like to see him back on a cheap deal next season, but the poor guy has known nothing but losing his whole career here. I'd like to see someone else with his letter.

I'd personally pick Dahlin or Tuch as Captain, the other gets an A. I think Tuch is the better choice because he's older, has the playoff experience, and has really embraced the team since being traded. However Dahlin may be a more natural leader to the younger guys.

For the other A I'd either add Cousins (who I think could be our best option for captain later on) or in the short term another vet we hopefully bring in this offseason (like a middle pair defenseman with some playoff experience?) until Cousins grows into the role.

I wouldn't want Thompson to feel slighted about not having a letter, but I want him to just focus on his game. I don't think making your top point player the captain is great idea. But really it comes down to locker room more than on the ice stuff. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

I find myself wishing we went back to a singular goal song. Maybe cause I dislike half their choices but, one team, one song kinda thing, too 

Do we need a give up a goal song?

Some of the arena staff choices are cringe worthy.

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Regarding a lack of Q's about goaltending (or anything else), remember, there were a few hundred people in there & the event was only 1 hour long so people kept to 1  single question for the most part.  Well, everyone but the old lady who asked about the goal songs and the small D, and the schmuck that went into a 5 minute long monolog about how he'd met Adams a few years ago who never asked a question unless you count his asking whether Adams would sign a photo he had of the 2 of them together somewhere in the middle of his monolog.

Levi had been mentioned in the answer to the prospects question along with the direct question about him.   Personally didn't ask about the goalies because only wanted to ask 1 Q (though had 5 written down and could easily have asked him at least 20) and didn't expect him to give any sort of real insight into which of this year's big 3 would be back next year and in what capacity they'd be back as he is similar to Granato in regards to throwing players under the bus.

His not mentioning either Comrie nor UPL when answering any of the questions that night seemed telling in its own right.  Levi is the heir apparent.  The only question is when the net becomes his.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Offer sheet Swayman. That'd be interesting. 

So according to him Greenway is here for physicality. Okay, I will believe it when I see it. 

Team's identity is forming. Okay, so what is it? Did he say? 

At least playoffs is a goal but with that little side note of not mortgaging the future so again, we shall see how committed to playoffs next year they really are. 

No, he did not say what the identity was - neither for the team as a whole nor the individuals.  But you can see what they're developing into.  Each player (with the possible exception of Frick and Frack who are so young they could find themselves fitting in with a couple of different roles as they develop) seems to have fit themselves into a niche.

Was mildly surprised nobody asked about when they get better at playing in their own end and what the plan was to make that happen.  But again, only 1 hour long and very few people actually got to ask a question.  So, a lot of good questions remained unasked.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yup.  Age + term and price tag are going to keep him out of the market for "big names" that can't live up to the price tag.  He's not going to pay big bucks for a guy in his 30's that's only going to be worth a big deal for a year or 2.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.