GDT: Montreal at Sabres 3-27-2023 7PM MSG

spndnchz

I have a horrid saying I'd really like to retire... Learning how to lose.

I hate the shootout as much as anyone, but that's exactly what happened last night (after giving up a lead in regulation).

The game was on the line. The season it could be argued was on the line. Guys we count on now to come through and guys we are counting on in the future to come through didn't.

Probably they care just a biiiiiit too much about making the playoffs? (Joke.)

Or we don't currently have "clutch" players. There should be hope for some. Others... It is what it is. Looking at you, Tuch.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I was aware of his past.  I pick him Because he has been playing well and I feel he is due.  Data from 2016 is old.  Given him a shot.  Playing a hunch.  Mitts and JJP did not even challenge the goalie. 

After a career long failure across multiple organizations and having many, many, many coaches who abandoned the thought completely: “I had a hunch”.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

That 70S Show Lol GIF by PeacockTV

I Cant Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

I will admit that I’m kinda baffled by this. On what would seem to be an easy day to find a group that could sing the anthems, they somehow found the one group that couldn’t.

So you guys made me go listen. A little harsh. I thought they were OK. Certainly on par with the PSE talent they've showcased over the years.

The US anthem was better for sure. I feel like one of the prominent voices was off for O! Caneeda.

• Agree 1

So Tuch (who still doesn’t loom 💯) is to be blamed for missing his shot ? The penalty shootout is a farce and this teams has had very few of them. 

Maybe you’d prefer clutch Jack back over 89? Good lord. Btw did you figure out the purpose of pride night yet?

22 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

So Tuch (who still doesn’t loom 💯) is to be blamed for missing his shot ? The penalty shootout is a farce and this teams has had very few of them. 

Maybe you’d prefer clutch Jack back over 89? Good lord. Btw did you figure out the purpose of pride night yet?

Loom 100? Very few shootouts? Farces?

Have you figured out how to make your posts make sense yet?

And yeah... It's more corporate greed. Shocker!

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

So you guys made me go listen. A little harsh. I thought they were OK. Certainly on par with the PSE talent they've showcased over the years.

The US anthem was better for sure. I feel like one of the prominent voices was off for O! Caneeda.

I'm a musician so the lack of professsionalism in the anthems was offensive to me, and I think I'm being kind. My ears hurt. I see a pattern of amateur anthem singers in Buffalo it spreads to the area experience, but am glad the longtime earsore meh Doug Allen is gone. The Sabres are supposed to be a professional organization. Why can't the Sabres get a Roger Doucet, who was an inspirational singer and put on a show and get the fans going? Even the Montreal fans on hfboards were all commenting on the amateur singers.

It seems the mispelled, knock-off uniforms in the old-timers' game awhile back was just the tip of the iceberg with this franchise and owner. The Sabres are definitely the Bills' "poor cousin." "PSE talent being showcased" is an embarrassing concept.

Edited by Quint

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Loom 100? Very few shootouts? Farces?

Have you figured out how to make your posts make sense yet?

And yeah... It's more corporate greed. Shocker!

My apologies for misspelling a word. 

The Sabres have had less than so’s than most. 

Corporate greed? So fess up. What does pride night mean to you in truth? Do you support it? Do you support the lgbtq+ community?

Edited by rickshaw

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Losing sucks however, Dahlin on that OT PK  probably played on of the best shifts I’ve seen out of any Dman in years.

Dahlin had a strong game. He is still not 100% in my estimation, but he is gutting it out.

I watched the game on the RDS feed (French) and they were very complimentary of the Sabres and Dahlin, pointing out he is only 22.

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I'm a musician so the lack of professsionalism in the anthems was offensive to me, and I think I'm being kind. My ears hurt. I see a pattern of amateur anthem singers in Buffalo it spreads to the area experience, but am glad the longtime earsore meh Doug Allen is gone. The Sabres are supposed to be a professional organization. Why can't the Sabres get a Roger Doucet, who was an inspirational singer and put on a show and get the fans going? Even the Montreal fans on hfboards were all commenting on the amateur singers.

It seems the mispelled, knock-off uniforms in the old-timers' game awhile back was just the tip of the iceberg with this franchise and owner. The Sabres are definitely the Bills' "poor cousin." "PSE talent being showcased" is an embarrassing concept.

I would agree on the need for a regular top notch anthem singer to set the tone. There have been a couple terrific ones this season. Getting someone to do 41 dates has to be tough tho. Or more than 41 even. Heyo.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

After a career long failure across multiple organizations and having many, many, many coaches who abandoned the thought completely: “I had a hunch”.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

That 70S Show Lol GIF by PeacockTV

I Cant Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Yes, after 329 career goals and his emergence as a pretty solid player all around - I think he can handle taking a penalty shot since he has not had one since 2018.  He could not be worse than the 5 attempts that were easily handled by Allen.  Skinner has had just 1 shootout attempt as a Sabre and 29 with Carolina.  He is 6 for 30, only slightly worse than Mitts and Olofsson, and both were called on last night.  I think Skinner would come through in the clutch, but perhaps not, perhaps he really sucks at it in practice and the coaches all joke about it - which seems quite unusual for a guy who has a very accurate shot and could score 400+ goals in a career.  

BTW - Cozens and JJP have yet to make a shoot out goal and they got a chance.  

Edited by Pimlach

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I would agree on the need for a regular top notch anthem singer to set the tone. There have been a couple terrific ones this season. Getting someone to do 41 dates has to be tough tho. Or more than 41 even. Heyo.

Tenor Joe Byron rarely ever missed a game.  (Note: the Canadian Anthem words have been updated since this recording)  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Tenor Joe Byron rarely ever missed a game.  (Note: the Canadian Anthem words have been updated since this recording)  

1979! That series was a real turning point in early franchise history. I bawled after they got knocked out. I was on the cusp of teenhood.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I enjoy the high-scoring version of the Buffalo Sabres. And I wonder if - maybe doubt that - such a model is sustainable.

Relatedly, I'm ready to see a Sabres team that doesn't look like they're about to have emergency diarrhea when they're defending in their own zone. Sure, I see intensity and urgency. But they frequently end up in a mess.

Time will tell. It’s usually hard to maintain such a pace when you have to also play defense and most of the season they didn’t play defense.

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah. Musicians often scoff at a steady gig. /s

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Quint said:

It was BAD.  It also was the Buffalo Gay Men's Chorus, which should explain the selection.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, after 329 career goals and his emergence as a pretty solid player all around - I think he can handle taking a penalty shot since he has not had one since 2018.  He could not be worse than the 5 attempts that were easily handled by Allen.  Skinner has had just 1 shootout attempt as a Sabre and 29 with Carolina.  He is 6 for 30, only slightly worse than Mitts and Olofsson, and both were called on last night.  I think Skinner would come through in the clutch, but perhaps not, perhaps he really sucks at it in practice and the coaches all joke about it - which seems quite unusual for a guy who has a very accurate shot and could score 400+ goals in a career.  

BTW - Cozens and JJP have yet to make a shoot out goal and they got a chance.  

Skinner is nifty and could probably go forehand to backhand up top, which is often successful.

I was very disappointed to see VO go first, he hasn’t scored anything important in a long time. He can shoot the puck well and pick corners and that’s not what he tried.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hey @SwampD. You wanna go? Huh? You wanna go?

PA taps at Swampy's left ankle.

If you do I got a hot take on the crosschecking call. Or what preceded it.

Lets Get It On Fight GIF

Just now, Eleven said:

No.  They were all over the place on both pitch and rhythm.

Ugh. That's too bad.

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t see Montreal as being near as talented as Buffalo. 

No, I don't think they are either, but somehow they haven't been as bad as people thought they'd be (a tank team) and they do have some character guys and decent younger players. Their rebuild strategy is different than ours. idk how fast it'll come together there. We will have a more talented team and hopefully a more winning team too but those two things don't always go together. 

• Agree 1

It was a disgrace.

There are organizations like Chicago and Montreal who have a tradition of making the national anthems a thrill and set the tone for a good home game. Maybe Buffalo should take their lead because this cheaping out is at the least making us fans look bad, even though the organization doesn't seem to care.

Comrie played great.    .927 sv%, allowing almost 2 goals fewer than expected.   

That's a massive goaltending improvement on home ice, one of the top 3 performances of the season.   

Unfortunately they gave up way too many high danger chances, 21... the second most they've allowed on home ice all season.   

In their 14 home wins, they're averaging 11 high danger chances against per game.   

It's frustrating.  They finally get a quality goaltending performance and let it go to waste with careless defense.   

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.