GDT: Montreal at Sabres 3-27-2023 7PM MSG

spndnchz

31 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Just trying to figure who the heck is going to be in net is ridiculous.  Since they’re still not out of the race you have to start comrie. I get it would be cool for the kids to start again Montreal but you can’t.  

Sure you can

• Like (+1) 2

Still in Florida.  Plans again tonight.  I’ll have to sneak a few minutes of hockey in on my iPhone. 

Interesting dilemma.  Still in the playoff hunt, Comrie coming off of a big shut out. No brainer that you start him tonight. 

Levi is a fun story and his time will come.   Not sure he has had enough work with the team to play yet.  I get the home game vs Montreal story.  

Different circumstances but Punch once told his head coach “play the kid”, and that turned out ok.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

I missed the last 2 but watching tonight….ugh. Please don’t make me regret it. Start Comrie right? We need to find out for next year…

Yeah I missed the last two as well.  Friday night I was at a soccer game (the HS where my wife teaches is in the playoffs and she didn't want to go alone) and they won!

Saturday my son was over helping me on the kitchen remodel so we worked on through the game.

I plan to watch tonight; we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He hasn't played in over two weeks and hasn’t had one formal practice with the team. Given that, I just can’t see it.

Weren't their clips of him practicing w/ the team on socials?  Or maybe that was that just extra ice time.

Adams or Granato said with certainty they would like to get him a few starts this year so he can marinate over the summer like they did with Power last year.  Just needed papers and NHL certification of new pads and yeah some practice. They were public about papers arriving, assume pads are cleared now too, so should be good to go.  I agree tho, not a no-brainer with consideration to Comrie's shutout.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Still in Florida.  Plans again tonight.  I’ll have to sneak a few minutes of hockey in on my iPhone. 

Interesting dilemma.  Still in the playoff hunt, Comrie coming off of a big shut out. No brainer that you start him tonight. 

Levi is a fun story and his time will come.   Not sure he has had enough work with the team to play yet.  I get the home game vs Montreal story.  

Different circumstances but Punch once told his head coach “play the kid”, and that turned out ok.  

I heard it was pillow talk. Dodo loved her some Donnie. In training camp in St. Kits she gave him a cocoa and he smiled so nice. Later she knitted a hat for him after a book burning.

But yeah the Comrie SO changes the situation. Playing Levi would have been bad optics before it happened and would look criminal now. For a GM with a rep for slow walking the rebuild, he can't possible want to offer any more ammo.

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Weren't their clips of him practicing w/ the team on socials?  Or maybe that was that just extra ice time.

Adams or Granato said with certainty they would like to get him a few starts this year so he can marinate over the summer like they did with Power last year.  Just needed papers and NHL certification of new pads and yeah some practice. They were public about papers arriving, assume pads are cleared now too, so should be good to go.  I agree tho, not a no-brainer with consideration to Comrie's shutout.

Those clips were from the game day morning skate on Friday, his first day being eligible to participate with the team. The Sabres haven’t had a formal team practice since.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's not overthink this tonight. Levi hasn't practiced yet so he's not an option. Comrie had the shutout and a day's rest: It's Comrie's net. UPL as the backup to get used to being the backup. Let's go win again.

As to Anderson, many thanks to him for giving us the March of 2022: that was a bunch of fun. And many props to him for being the best goalie on the team most nights these last 2 seasons and providing a comfort blanket to a ridiculously youthful roster. But at this point he should only get the start in Ottawa the remainder of the way (unless Levi has a shutout streak going, of course).

(Edit: And Anderson could get 1 home start and dress as the backup in the final home game of the season.)

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I checked out for the last 2 games. Then I looked at the wild card standings on Sunday.

ah-shit.gif.e4b277de71e5c2d933342cf57015d48d.gif

The grossest part of it all is that if the Sabres had merely gone 6-6-2 instead of 4-8-2 in the last stretch, they'd be 2 and 3 points back of the WC spots with 1 game and 2 games in hand. They were on the cusp and no one broke away from them. They did it to themselves.

• Like (+1) 4

Honestly starting to wonder if the pressure of knowing you have to score 5 goals every game to have a realistic chance of winning ended up wearing the team down.  After seeing the D and goaltenders falter so many times it has to be mentally frustrating and probably exhausting over a long season when the same thing happens over and over again...

Sabres make these amazing, Harlem Globetrotter like plays to score goals, the other team basically just shoot from anywhere and there is a good chance it's going to go in at least once or twice a game.  

• Agree 2

With 10 games remaining, the Buffalo Sabres remain in the hunt for a Wild Card position. 

They are currently six points behind the Pittsburgh Penguins with a game in hand for the second Wild Card berth and seven points back of the New York Islanders for the top Wild Card seed with two games in hand. 

Tonight, the Sabres host the Montreal Canadiens for the team's annual Pride Night.

The Sabres have recalled forward Lukas Rousek from the Rochester Americans, the team announced Monday morning. Rousek made the trip with the team to Long Island on an emergency basis Saturday, but did not play. He then picked up an assist in the Amerks' 5-2 win yesterday. 

Faceoff against the Habs is at 7 p.m. on MSG and WGR 550 with pregame coverage on MSG starting at 6:30.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Levi would be the feel good story on numerous levels but I don’t 5hink he should start without a proper practice or two. DG has to see him up close while Mike Bales provides input.

I think the players would like to see Comrie follow up his SO with another solid outing and keep the run going. A few guys are gutting it out to stay in the race and the whole team probably prefers going with the “hot hand” vs the rookie. It felt strange to type Comrie in as “hot” but that is what we’ve got right now.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.