GDT : Sabres at Islanders 3-25-2023 5 PM - ESPN+/Hulu, WGR

PromoTheRobot

On 3/26/2023 at 11:14 AM, JohnC said:

You make an interesting point that I have been wavering about regarding the goaltending situation. For the sake of argument, if in these last ten games, the Sabres do tighten up defensively resulting in our goalies playing solidly, how does it affect our GM this offseason regarding addressing the position or not this offseason? I'm not sure? Would it be better to use assets to bring in another goalie, or would it be better to use assets to bring in maybe two quality defensemen to buttress that unit and give more support to the goalies we already have? Again, I'm not sure. What I am comfortable in saying is that if the organization decided to use assets to bring in an upper-tier goalie such as Saros, that it would have a noticeable impact on improving this team. 

I have no information but one thought I have is that Adams did not fully address the goalie situation because he wanted to minimize the risk of Levi not signing, especially since he knew Portillo wasn't going to sign.  A hard liner could say, screw Levi... but I don't think Adams is a hardliner and anyone else is not the GM of the Sabres.

I think they will address goaltending in the offseason and I would not be surprised if its Saros.

On 3/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, Sidc3000 said:

I’ve heard over and over again that it’s harder to teach offensive minded player’s defense correctly. When they played the Bruins last, the B’s game personalities made it a point to say that the Bruins teach all their young players defense first. If the players have natural offensive talent then it wouldn’t be hard to have them transition to offense. I personally think the Sabres focused on offense because they had hoped score goals would translate into fans in the seats. Not expecting that the team would be utter ***** on home ice. 

IF DG focus is defense next season than fully expect very low goals scored. Career highs will be a thing of the past  until they learn how to play a full 200 feet for a full 60 minutes. 

Potentially the case but I'm more along the lines of telling the players who would probably may more defensively to not do so and take more risks. Every coach has a strategy.. and not every strategy is right for every group of players.  We'll see what happens.

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

I have no information but one thought I have is that Adams did not fully address the goalie situation because he wanted to minimize the risk of Levi not signing, especially since he knew Portillo wasn't going to sign.  A hard liner could say, screw Levi... but I don't think Adams is a hardliner and anyone else is not the GM of the Sabres.

I stated the same theory some pages ago.  KA was bending over backwards to give us the best chance of Levi signing.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

I think they will address goaltending in the offseason and I would not be surprised if its Saros.

I would love this. Instantly bumping up the chance of winning games and being a mentor for Levi. Comrie can back up while UPL could be a part of the trade package.

Trotz and ownership will have some decisions to make this summer over rebuild, retool or try and add. This was Poile’s team that was good but not great for a long time. Trotz may have his own take and ownership may want a different course of action.

I find it interesting that goalies have not cost an arm and a leg in trades. It is such an important position. I would be willing to give up quite a bit for Saros, but it may take less than what I expect.

I think the Asplund trade was an opening to future deal(s) with Nashville. I kind of hope the Sabres don’t have to take a long term salary dump like Ryan Johansen to make it happen.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I would love this. Instantly bumping up the chance of winning games and being a mentor for Levi. Comrie can back up while UPL could be a part of the trade package.

Trotz and ownership will have some decisions to make this summer over rebuild, retool or try and add. This was Poile’s team that was good but not great for a long time. Trotz may have his own take and ownership may want a different course of action.

I find it interesting that goalies have not cost an arm and a leg in trades. It is such an important position. I would be willing to give up quite a bit for Saros, but it may take less than what I expect.

I think the Asplund trade was an opening to future deal(s) with Nashville. I kind of hope the Sabres don’t have to take a long term salary dump like Ryan Johansen to make it happen.

It is very interesting indeed.  Just spitballin' but expect that it MAY be because a top goalie that is still all in on a team is worth his weight in gold and simply doesn't come on the market.  So, the guys that do actually become available are not bought in and the team figures they're better off with whatever they can get for the expensive guy that had been a stud for them rather than somebody going through the motions at the one spot where there is nobody to cover for a mistake by him.  Not sure why there isn't more of a market for these guys the handful of times they seem to come on the market.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It is very interesting indeed.  Just spitballin' but expect that it MAY be because a top goalie that is still all in on a team is worth his weight in gold and simply doesn't come on the market.  So, the guys that do actually become available are not bought in and the team figures they're better off with whatever they can get for the expensive guy that had been a stud for them rather than somebody going through the motions at the one spot where there is nobody to cover for a mistake by him.  Not sure why there isn't more of a market for these guys the handful of times they seem to come on the market.

Patrick Roy was nearly 30 years ago but he went for a fraction of his worth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.