GDT : Sabres at Islanders 3-25-2023 5 PM - ESPN+/Hulu, WGR

PromoTheRobot

Pro sports are about getting a mental advantage that produces confidence. Pros are all elite and have basically the same skill levels. Football teams feed off the QB both offense and defense. In hockey they feed off the goaltender. If Comrie gets hot we got a chance.

2 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Pro sports are about getting a mental advantage that produces confidence. Pros are all elite and have basically the same skill levels. Football teams feed off the QB both offense and defense. In hockey they feed off the goaltender. If Comrie gets hot we got a chance.

Agreed. He is and always was our ticket to the dance. Still not too late...

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Is it just me, or are there a couple posters who only show up in the GDT post game when the Sabres lose? 😂

They played a nice solid road game. Props to Comrie 👍🏼
I liked Cozens and Booosh tonight

It is not just you...I was amazing when I logged on this monring (Sunday) and there were so few post of this game...when they lose there are far more. All is not doom and gloom with this team. I get that they are up an ddown but so are all the other young teams (actually almost every team is up and down this year as we consistently see teams far down in the standings beating teams higher in the standings. Even Chicage had a 4 or 5 game winning streak there a while back. Anyways I like where this team is headed...some minor tweaking and things are looking good for the future...  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Is it just me, or are there a couple posters who only show up in the GDT post game when the Sabres lose? 😂

They played a nice solid road game. Props to Comrie 👍🏼
I liked Cozens and Booosh tonight

I’m one of them. The Sabres have lost about 90% of games this year that I’ve watched beginning to end. I usually follow the GDT too when watching

43 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Slight lineup change seemed to have made a big difference - moving Lyubushkin into the top 4

Yep… Boosh got game… Good move by DG… Good pick up by KA

20 minutes ago, Believer said:

Yep… Boosh got game… Good move by DG… Good pick up by KA

In the last half dozen games or so and as the season is winding down, Illya has played really well. It can be argued that he has been our most consistent defender. When he joined the team there was an adjustment period, was injured and played through injuries. It took some adjusting to the various players he was paired with and the system. As you stated this was a really good pickup by KA. If the GM could add another one or two Bushkin-like players to the unit this offseason, it would upgrade the depth and quality of the unit. Another appealing aspect about him is that on every team he has been on he has been one of the most liked and respected players on the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This was the first game the team won all season when scoring only 2 goals.  This was only the second shutout of the season.

The Sabres are 15-0-1 when allowing 2 or less goals.  The Sabres are 7-21-4 when allowing 4 or more.

Wow that sure says it all...clearly we need that good goaltending and team defense to keep goals against down. We now we can score...

4 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

It is not just you...I was amazing when I logged on this monring (Sunday) and there were so few post of this game...when they lose there are far more. All is not doom and gloom with this team. I get that they are up an ddown but so are all the other young teams (actually almost every team is up and down this year as we consistently see teams far down in the standings beating teams higher in the standings. Even Chicage had a 4 or 5 game winning streak there a while back. Anyways I like where this team is headed...some minor tweaking and things are looking good for the future...  

Society has been trained to look at what's wrong. To point out the negatives, especially in others. We're believe our lives are incomplete unless there's some level of misery to it. It's ingrained in humanity. There are many theories that Utopia would destroy humanity.  Some of society certainly look at the negatives even more and I dare say the Internet and subsequent tools to expose us to even wider sets of beliefs has certain enforced the misery complex. It's only natural there are people here who would fit the bill and trend towards more negative tendencies.

28 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Wow that sure says it all...clearly we need that good goaltending and team defense to keep goals against down. We now we can score...

The team still makes mistakes but it's generally been said that this years team focusing more on offense and scoring than defense and I think its shown. It's a game plan by design.  The team has to learn to balance the two but I think it's far easier to play shutdown hockey than it is to score goals.  So, I am happy they learned the creativity of offense.  Now, if they can incorporate the defensive side of the game we may feel that the goaltending is not as bad as it seems. I'm not saying its great by any means.

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

Society has been trained to look at what's wrong. To point out the negatives, especially in others. We're believe our lives are incomplete unless there's some level of misery to it. It's ingrained in humanity. There are many theories that Utopia would destroy humanity.  Some of society certainly look at the negatives even more and I dare say the Internet and subsequent tools to expose us to even wider sets of beliefs has certain enforced the misery complex. It's only natural there are people here who would fit the bill and trend towards more negative tendencies.

The team still makes mistakes but it's generally been said that this years team focusing more on offense and scoring than defense and I think its shown. It's a game plan by design.  The team has to learn to balance the two but I think it's far easier to play shutdown hockey than it is to score goals.  So, I am happy they learned the creativity of offense.  Now, if they can incorporate the defensive side of the game we may feel that the goaltending is not as bad as it seems. I'm not saying its great by any means.

You make an interesting point that I have been wavering about regarding the goaltending situation. For the sake of argument, if in these last ten games, the Sabres do tighten up defensively resulting in our goalies playing solidly, how does it affect our GM this offseason regarding addressing the position or not this offseason? I'm not sure? Would it be better to use assets to bring in another goalie, or would it be better to use assets to bring in maybe two quality defensemen to buttress that unit and give more support to the goalies we already have? Again, I'm not sure. What I am comfortable in saying is that if the organization decided to use assets to bring in an upper-tier goalie such as Saros, that it would have a noticeable impact on improving this team. 

37 minutes ago, LTS said:

I’ve heard over and over again that it’s harder to teach offensive minded player’s defense correctly. When they played the Bruins last, the B’s game personalities made it a point to say that the Bruins teach all their young players defense first. If the players have natural offensive talent then it wouldn’t be hard to have them transition to offense. I personally think the Sabres focused on offense because they had hoped score goals would translate into fans in the seats. Not expecting that the team would be utter ***** on home ice. 

IF DG focus is defense next season than fully expect very low goals scored. Career highs will be a thing of the past  until they learn how to play a full 200 feet for a full 60 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 1

Went back to watch the 3rd. Good period. The Isles had a couple good looks but were otherwise stifled, even after they were down a goal. They wanted to play for overtime and the loser point and it backfired on them and their veteran-ness. The Sabres were the better team in the 1st and 3rd, and Comrie made the 2-3 big stops he needed for the shutout. Good victory.

It'd be nice if the Sabres could replicate that effort and response against other teams that have tried to out-hit and intimidate them. Another 3-4 efforts like this game over the course of the season and this game would have been the lead in the wildcard race.

Next up, see if Comrie can play another strong one. Then unleash the Levi to a series of shutouts and the ferocious run to 8th (or 9th).

Edited by DarthEbriate

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This was the first game the team won all season when scoring only 2 goals.  This was only the second shutout of the season.

The Sabres are 15-0-1 when allowing 2 or less goals.  The Sabres are 7-21-4 when allowing 4 or more.

I haven't done the research but the winning results of keeping the opposition's score down applies to all the teams.  It shouldn't be a surprise that for all teams when the opposition scores 4 or more goals, your team is more likely to lose. I agree with you that future success for us is predicated on getting the goals against side of the equation down. The next question is the priority acquiring different goalies, better blueliners or a greater focus on team defensive (including forwards)? Or a combination from each of the categories? This offseason is going to be intriguing. 

My opinion: If the goalie unit plays better due to better team defensive play in front of them for the rest of the season, the GM will follow his status quo impulses and focus his attention on buttressing the blueline unit. I still lean towards going out and bringing in an upper tier goalie. I'm more confident that it will have the greatest impact on this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My opinion: If the goalie unit plays better due to better team defensive play in front of them for the rest of the season, the GM will follow his status quo impulses and focus his attention on buttressing the blueline unit. I still lean towards going out and bringing in an upper tier goalie. I'm more confident that it will have the greatest impact on this team. 

Ditto. My fear with KA...if they continue to string together some defensive efforts like this down the stretch...is that he gets a sort of 'false positive' and thinks the goaltending if fine now that Levi is in the fold. Putting all of your eggs into the basket of two unproven goalies and one who has never played a minute in the NHL is a perilous proposition, IMO. This team needs to take a step forward next season and make the playoffs, not be on the fringe.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The issue isn’t losing games when allowing 4 or more. That’s sort of expected. 
The issue is they had 32 games with four goals against or more this season. That is absurd. Ridiculous! Ludicrous! Plaid!

Goaltending will solve part of that. The defensive core each getting a year older will help. And the forwards getting collectively more defensively conscious in their own zone instead of immediately breaking up ice will at the sight of a loose puck will do wonders. Next season, try to get that number closer to 20 (figuring in some losses with empty net goals where you don’t mind how many you allow in the last minute as long as you were going all-out to tie it up). 

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Comrie was a different goalie tonight. Amazing what the goaltending looks like when they only give up a few high danger chances. Props to him, especially after his last start. 

In my view, every good NHL goalie should be able to pitch a shutout based on the way the teams were playing in front of Comrie last night.

It’s sad how unusual that kind of defensive effort has been for the Sabres skaters this year.

What’s even sadder is how unusual it’s been for a Sabres goalie to make all the saves he should save. We’ve become so conditioned to expect subpar goaltending that good goaltending looks great.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The issue isn’t losing games when allowing 4 or more. That’s sort of expected. 
The issue is they had 32 games with four goals against or more this season. That is absurd. Ridiculous! Ludicrous! Plaid!

Goaltending will solve part of that. The defensive core each getting a year older will help. And the forwards getting collectively more defensively conscious in their own zone instead of immediately breaking up ice will at the sight of a loose puck will do wonders. Next season, try to get that number closer to 20 (figuring in some losses with empty net goals where you don’t mind how many you allow in the last minute as long as you were going all-out to tie it up). 

6A2542B9-B3B6-43BB-88CB-73BBB7C84A85.gif.e8d5c6940c3bfb022eb517fbaad4b9e4.gif

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

I’ve heard over and over again that it’s harder to teach offensive minded player’s defense correctly. When they played the Bruins last, the B’s game personalities made it a point to say that the Bruins teach all their young players defense first. If the players have natural offensive talent then it wouldn’t be hard to have them transition to offense. I personally think the Sabres focused on offense because they had hoped score goals would translate into fans in the seats. Not expecting that the team would be utter ***** on home ice. 

IF DG focus is defense next season than fully expect very low goals scored. Career highs will be a thing of the past  until they learn how to play a full 200 feet for a full 60 minutes. 

I agree 100% with this...th eteam sure was exciting when they scored but clearly need to tighten up...and yes it is possible to teach a offensive player defense but one cannot teach that scroign touch many of the team have... 

29 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I agree 100% with this...th eteam sure was exciting when they scored but clearly need to tighten up...and yes it is possible to teach a offensive player defense but one cannot teach that scroign touch many of the team have... 

i get these kids have ridiculous offensive talent and I’m not saying that it’s not impossible to teach them defense. I just don’t know if it will take a long time to get them to play actual defense when they need to every time.  We will see next season 

Edited by Sidc3000

I don’t want them to become a defensive first 

they should continue to be a fast pace , aggressive hockey team 

getting good goaltending , getting more defensive help (ie. less Bryson) , organic improvements from the young stud Dmen  and being able to kill penalties will go a long way

i don’t need, nor want, them to become the NYI lite 

Edited by Crusader1969

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

I don’t want them to become a defensive first team 

they should continue to be a fast pace , aggressive hockey 

getting good goaltending , getting more defensive help (ie. less Bryson) , organic improvements from the young stud Dmen  and being able to kill penalties will go a long way

i don’t need, nor want, them to become the NYI lite 

You need not fear the Sabres becoming a stifling, boring and slumber inducing NY Islander type team. The main reason is the way our roster is constructed. As it is right now, we will have four players who will score more than 30 goals this season. Based on what I have seen of Quinn I wouldn't be surprised if he will be in the 30 plus range next season or soon thereafter. 

I agree with you that our team defense should improve as our younger players gain experience. But make no mistake about it this team still needs player additions to better balance out our roster so there won't be such a great disparity between our offense and defense. (As you also noted in your comments.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.