GDT : Sabres at Islanders 3-25-2023 5 PM - ESPN+/Hulu, WGR

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is the last game that won't be on MSG this year. Isles are on pace for 93 points. All the Sabres have to do to match that is win 9 of 11 and one loss needs to be in OT. 

The Ultimate Fighter Sport GIF by UFC

Pittsburgh is in WC2 by points and points %.  The Penguins are on pace for 91 points.

Incredibly, if the Sabres win tonight in regulation they would be in a position where a 7-3 finish over the final 10 would project them into a tie for WC1. Put another way, an 8-3 finish from here would likely get us in. 

EDIT:  Also, incredibly, my math was wrong.  It would take a 9-2 finish from here.  

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Pittsburgh is in WC2 by points and points %.  The Penguins are on pace for 91 points.

Incredibly, if the Sabres win tonight in regulation they would be in a position where a 7-3 finish over the final 10 would project them into a tie for WC1. Put another way, an 8-3 finish from here would likely get us in. 

Because of this late season swoon it squandered a marvelous opportunity for the playoffs. The team was in a good position to get over the hump, and then it faltered. Sometimes failure, although painful, is the best learning experience. Maybe in the long run it will serve them well? Sometimes being tantalizing close can be even more exasperating than being completely out of it. However, there is no doubt in my mind that based on our play this season this team is moving up the ranks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Because of this late season swoon it squandered a marvelous opportunity for the playoffs. The team was in a good position to get over the hump, and then it faltered. Sometimes failure, although painful, is the best learning experience. Maybe in the long run it will serve them well? Sometimes being tantalizing close can be even more exasperating than being completely out of it. However, there is no doubt in my mind that based on our play this season this team is moving up the ranks. 

Like many of us have been saying… I really do believe that this team is only 2 or maybe 3 key pieces away from doing some damage in the playoffs. It does not need to be torn down, it does not need to have 9 or 10 pieces replaced like many previous seasons have been. Those that want a bunch of roster turnover, in my opinion are just having knee-jerk reactions. And shortsighted. But that’s just me.

• Like (+1) 1

Just looking at stats and curious at how many past Sabres have.

Eichel has 59gm / 26g / 29a/ 55pt

Reinhart has 72gm /27g /27a /54pt

That would currently be good for 5th and 6th in goals, 7th and 8th in assists, and 6th and 7th in points this season on the current Sabres. 

Not missing those guys one bit, were they holding the current group back? Their stats might suggest 2nd or 3rd liners on this team, that were playing 1st line minutes, hmmm...... lol.

Edited by Ross Rhea
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ross Rhea said:

Just looking at stats and curious at how many past Sabres have.

Eichel has 59gm / 26g / 29a/ 55pt

Reinhart has 72gm /27g /27a /54pt

That would currently be good for 5th and 6th in goals, 7th and 8th in assists, and 6th and 7th in points this season. 

Not missing those guys one bit, were they holding the current group back? Their stats might suggest 2nd or 3rd liners on this team, that were playing 1st line minutes, hmmm...... lol.

They would not be 3rd liners, they would be forcing the Kid Line down to 3.  

Yes, they were were holding the group back in terms of team togetherness and bonding.  The factions are long gone. The locker room is in good shape now.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

This makes no sense. Sorry. Compare apples to apples.

24 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Like many of us have been saying… I really do believe that this team is only 2 or maybe 3 key pieces away from doing some damage in the playoffs. It does not need to be torn down, it does not need to have 9 or 10 pieces replaced like many previous seasons have been. Those that want a bunch of roster turnover, in my opinion are just having knee-jerk reactions. And shortsighted. But that’s just me.

Few people other than those on the fringe are recommending a major reconstruction. The roster is starting to be filled, mostly with in-house players. The obvious/glaring needs are on the blueline and in net. The GM is responsible to address those few critical needs this offseason. If he is successful in that task, combined with internal improvement, this team should be good for a sustained period of time. This will be a critical offseason for the organization and fanbase. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They would not be 3rd liners, they would be forcing the Kid Line down to 3.  

Yes, they were were holding the group back in terms of team togetherness and bonding.  The factions are long gone. The locker room is in good shape now.  

As you are indicating, Jack and Sam are in a good situation for themselves. Both of them will be participating in the playooffs this year. And on the flip side the Sabres are also in a good situation in their remake. The past is the past. Players and organizations move on and take different paths. That's the reality in sports and in life. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Few people other than those on the fringe are recommending a major reconstruction. The roster is starting to be filled, mostly with in-house players. The obvious/glaring needs are on the blueline and in net. The GM is responsible to address those few critical needs this offseason. If he is successful in that task, combined with internal improvement, this team should be good for a sustained period of time. This will be a critical offseason for the organization and fanbase. 

A possible glaring need is players who won't spit out the bit next March again. This could be additions or subtractions and if done right could yield surprises. KA better know his team better than we do. Of course this approach to building a team applies only if KA is concerned about making the playoffs... Or is alllowed to be concerned.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

You are right that it makes no sense because my math was wrong.  It will take a 9-2 finish, not 8-3.  Not sure what the "apples to apples" reference is getting at.

You're holding other teams to their season pace but sending the Sabres on a fantastic run. I don't see any way that 90ish points gets them in.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

A possible glaring need is players who won't spit out the bit next March again. This could be additions or subtractions and if done right could yield surprises. KA better know his team better than we do. Of course this approach to building a team applies only if KA is concerned about making the playoffs... Or is alllowed to be concerned.

The notion that the GM might not be serious about his responsibilities is off-the-wall odd. And the notion that there is a force (the owner) who behind the scenes will restrict him from doing his job is even more odd. How do you come up with these peculiar thoughts? 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The notion that the GM might not be serious about his responsibilities is off-the-wall odd. And the notion that there is a force (the owner) who behind the scenes will restrict him from doing his job is even more odd. How do you come up with these peculiar thoughts? 

I watch.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you are indicating, Jack and Sam are in a good situation for themselves. Both of them will be participating in the playooffs this year. And on the flip side the Sabres are also in a good situation in their remake. The past is the past. Players and organizations move on and take different paths. That's the reality in sports and in life. 

I was not indicating anything related to Jack and Sam’s situation.   They both seem to be doing fine.  I don’t spend time following them.  Just pointing out that if we still had them the Kid Line would have had a different role on the 3rd line.  We would not have Tuch or Krebs or Levi, so everything is different and I make no attempts to compare any of this.  

I like the team better without Jack and Sam and with the additions from their trades.  That is all.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You're holding other teams to their season pace but sending the Sabres on a fantastic run. I don't see any way that 90ish points gets them in.

I wasn't making any predictions, but fair enough.  I was probably overly exuberant in using the words "would likely get us in" and should have used "could possibly get us in".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I was not indicating anything related to Jack and Sam’s situation.   They both seem to be doing fine.  I don’t spend time following them.  Just pointing out that if we still had them the Kid Line would have had a different role on the 3rd line.  We would not have Tuch or Krebs or Levi, so everything is different and I make no attempts to compare any of this.  

I like the team better without Jack and Sam and with the additions from their trades.  That is all.  

You may have taken my response as a criticism. I didn't mean it to be. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said in your prior and current post. The player/s and organization decided to move on. I believe that in the not too distant long run we will be better off, and so will the departed players. It's a better situation for all those involved. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You should drink yourself into oblivion while watching the games. You might become more observant and enjoy it more. 

But srsly did it appear as if KA tried to parlay that strong finish last season and those stirring RJ wins and being on the cusp a few weeks ago into Playoffs?!™?

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

But srsly did it appear as if KA tried to parlay that strong finish last season and those stirring RJ wins and being on the cusp a few weeks ago into Playoffs?!™?

KA had a plan and was determined to stick with it. Of course he wanted to make the playoffs this year. Adhering to the plan and making the playoffs weren't mutually exclusive. But without question his priority was to stick with the rebuilding plan that emphasized playing the youngsters. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.