Sabres are having their Pride Night on Monday

Eleven

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Didn't the Sabres have a Pride Night last year? Are you more worried about player or fan reaction?

I've no idea about last year.  I just don't remember.

Player participation would be the concern.  The fans won't care and most probably won't even know about it.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Didn't the Sabres have a Pride Night last year? Are you more worried about player or fan reaction?

They've had them at least the last 2 if not the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Just like they have Hockey Fights Cancer night every year and Military Appreciation night every year.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

They've had them at least the last 2 if not the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Just like they have Hockey Fights Cancer night every year and Military Appreciation night every year.

I'm not up to date on this issue but wasn't there a recent controversy in Chicago where some of the players didn't want to be part of the ceremony?

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm not up to date on this issue but wasn't there a recent controversy in Chicago where some of the players didn't want to be part of the ceremony?

A number of teams including Chicago.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Yikes! Sabres brass stoking the fire. 

Bulldog asked the question out of nowhere, actually.  After Adams said that the team would wear special warmups, Schopp asked when it is schedule for, and was surprised when Adams replied, "Monday."  It's really not been promoted at all (neither are the other special nights, apparently, because I was completely unaware of Military Night and I thought that the cancer thing stopped years ago) so that's why I don't think fans will know about it.

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Bulldog asked the question out of nowhere, actually.  After Adams said that the team would wear special warmups, Schopp asked when it is schedule for, and was surprised when Adams replied, "Monday."  It's really not been promoted at all (neither are the other special nights, apparently, because I was completely unaware of Military Night and I thought that the cancer thing stopped years ago) so that's why I don't think fans will know about it.

They put out a press release when the schedule is released about when each "special" night will be, but don't do much more than that.  Guess the sponsors of those nights don't pay for additional advertising of their event nights.

It will be fine, even if someone declines to wear the jersey like Reimer did.

Honestly, teams should probably think of a different way to make LGBTQ individuals feel more welcomed into hockey.  Something that doesn’t involve players wearing LGBTQ themed clothing.  That seems to be the main sticking point for the few players who have taken issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

^ I feel like it’s cause they get hung up on the fact wearing the jersey means they are endorsing a lifestyle outside the arena, when in reality the jersey simply demonstrates those with a lifestyle they may not agree with are still welcome in the same spaces  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

^ I feel like it’s cause they get hung up on the fact wearing the jersey means they are endorsing a lifestyle outside the arena, when in reality the jersey simply demonstrates those with a lifestyle we may not agree with are still welcome in the same spaces  

I agree.  Seems like that’s the issue in some of these cases.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

^ I feel like it’s cause they get hung up on the fact wearing the jersey means they are endorsing a lifestyle outside the arena, when in reality the jersey simply demonstrates those with a lifestyle they may not agree with are still welcome in the same spaces  

Moreover, there's a certain amount of luxury involved in deciding not to wear the employer's designated uniform for the task of warming up.

If they were clerks at Walgreens making $12 an hour, they're probably wearing what Walgreens tells them to wear.

• Agree 2

While I think that some of the attempts at "inclusivity" go a little bit too far to the point of silliness, I think that this initiative is a good one.  If sports stars, who many look up to (young and old) are supportive of inclusion, it might sway some of the fans who may be on the fence about it.  Plus, it's good economically for the sport.  If 10% of the population is gay, wouldn't you want to connect with that portion of the population so that they are buying tickets, jerseys, watching on TV (and thus viewing advertisers ads), etc.?

You'd think that professional athletes would be comfortable enough in their own skin to be able to wear a colored jersey for a few minutes that might be meaningful to others (and beneficial to the league), even if it doesn't align with their own preferences.  I'm not sure I buy the religious excuse.  I'd guess if you asked the current Pope or whether he would support wearing the jerseys, he'd say yes.  I would also say that if one or two guys don't want to wear the jerseys, let them take a pass, but the other guys who either support the cause, or are neutral about it, should wear them.  There may be upside to doing so, and for those guys, there's not much downside.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I could discuss why it's a thing now but I don't want a ban.

The only thing that seems different this year is we have a Russian player on the Sabres.  Pride stuff is banned by their government so when they go back they could be faced with problems.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1