The Sabres have entered the Connor Bedard sweepstakes...

matter2003

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'd rather the Sabres win all of their remaining games and fall one point short of the playoffs than continue to circle the drain at a fast pace like they are doing now.  It woudl show heart, desire, an ability to get off the canvas, and set the right tone for the future.

That said, if Bedard is a Connor McDavid type, I'm in.  If he's Jack Eichel or even Alex LaFreniere, no thanks.  I don't follow hockey prospects that closely, so I honestly don't know.

Whenever the 'experts' who follow the draft class are asked to rank where he is as a prospect, I hear the same thing from most of them.....equal to or slightly better than Matthews, not as good as McDavid.  (The 'slightly' better than Matthews thing I cynically think they just say because he is Canadian and Matthews is an American.  In the eyes of Canadian media, every prospect who is Canadian gets their stock 'bumped up 5%' just because....they are a gold ole Canadian boy!)

To me when I watch him play or see highlights of him, He is obviously good the results speak for themselves, but nothing 'scares' me if I am playing him like McDavid.  He's not big. He isn't blazing fast. He doesn't have the hardest shot.  He just seems like a 'good' prospect, that has that intangible factor that takes him from good to great...its just not a particular typical measurable skill.

Edited by mjd1001

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Whenever the 'experts' who follow the draft class are asked to rank where he is as a prospect, I hear the same thing from most of them.....equal to or slightly better than Matthews, not as good as McDavid.  (The 'slightly' better than Matthews thing I cynically think they just say because he is Canadian and Matthews is an American.  In the eyes of Canadian media, every prospect who is Canadian gets their stock 'bumped up 5%' just because....they are a gold ole Canadian boy!)

To me when I watch him play or see highlights of him, He is obviously good the results speak for themselves, but nothing 'scares' me if I am playing him like McDavid.  He's not big. He isn't blazing fast. He doesn't have the hardest shot.  He just seems like a 'good' prospect, that has that intangible factory that takes him from good to great...its just not a particular typical measurable skill.

Connor Bedard is 6 months younger than McDavid was in his draft year and exactly 10 months younger than Auston Matthews was in his draft year. 

His shot and his stickhandling I think should be somewhat scary to opposing teams. 17yr old doing what he has done in the WHL is impressive when the next closest player in ppg is 2.4 years older, Logan Stankoven. And why I say closest I mean .52ppg lower. Considering his skating already has agility and speed, we should expect it to get faster as he gains strength. It will be very interesting to see what he measures at the combine considering his mid July bday. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Bedrard is easily the best prospect pre-draft since Dahlin, and arguably since Matthews or even McDavid. He currently has 70 goals and 72 assists in 55 WHL games. (An NHLe of 64 points) Matthews’ NHLe his draft year was 49 points, and Mcdavid’s was 68 points. 
Bedrard is a little smaller than those too, so he may not translate to the NHL quite as seamlessly, but at this point he definitely looks more McDavid/Matthews than Eichel/Lafreniere.

I want absolutely no part in being bad enough that we technically have a claim to Bedard. Reflective of too disappointing of a season, not a good trade off

- - - 

I will also absolutely do a complete 180 publicly should we win the pick, just totally totally betray my argument by freaking out - this is a McDavid-like prospect. No, it’s not a Sidney Crosby and all the generational winning a top 5 all around player of all time brings, but it’s generational talent to the extent it actually might allow for ever so slightly less aptitude from our GM going forward, which, yes, betrays my initial argument 

we aren’t winning it anyway but ya 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I want absolutely no part in being bad enough that we technically have a claim to Bedard. Reflective of too disappointing of a season, not a good trade off

- - - 

I will also absolutely do a complete 180 publicly should we win the pick, just totally totally betray my argument by freaking out - this is a McDavid-like prospect. No, it’s not a Sidney Crosby and all the generational winning a top 5 all around player of all time brings, but it’s generational talent to the extent it actually might allow for ever so slightly less aptitude from our GM going forward, which, yes, betrays my initial argument 

we aren’t winning it anyway but ya 

McDavid is better at hockey than Crosby ever was. 

*changes name and flees the continent*

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

McDavid is better at hockey than Crosby ever was. 

*changes name and flees the continent*

I think it’s possible, probably likely that McDavid is the best pure talent we’ve ever seen, ya. But in terms of all around ability, I think there’s an argument to be made (duh, I’m making it) that what Crosby grants to a team is more conducive to greatness within the way the national hockey league, itself, is officiated, run, managed, and coached 

I think McDavid’s overall stats, all around game included, marks out higher on the back of a marvel card. I think he’s better even all around. Best ever. But Crosby arguably, at slightly less overall, yes, melds better within the context of building a championship roster *in the NHL*. I think being the greatest grinder ever gives him an easier pathway, within the NHL playoffs specifically, if that makes sense, to all time greatness 

- - -

Tl;dr In a hypothetical league that maximizes its best talents - I draft McDavid. In the real world, I honestly draft 18 year old Sid before Connor if constructing a team from scratch  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think it’s possible, probably likely that McDavid is the best pure talent we’ve ever seen, ya. But in terms of all around ability, I think there’s an argument to be made (duh, I’m making it) that what Crosby grants to a team is more conducive to greatness within the way the national hockey league, itself, is officiated, run, managed, and coached 

I think McDavid’s overall stats, all around game included, marks out higher on the back of a marvel card. I think he’s better even all around. Best ever. But Crosby arguably, at slightly less overall, yes, melds better within the context of building a championship roster *in the NHL*. I think being the greatest grinder ever gives him an easier pathway, within the NHL playoffs specifically, if that makes sense, to all time greatness 

- - -

Tl;dr In a hypothetical league that maximizes its best talents - I draft McDavid. In the real world, I honestly draft 18 year old Sid before Connor if constructing a team from scratch  

[This is an automated response]

I am out of office and will be returning never. I will respond to any emails at that time. Please reach out to _______ in the meantime. i am sorry for this inconvenience. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

As of this post, we are sitting in the 11th draft slot (72 pts in 70 games) - 2-6-2 in the last 10.  Ottawa is in the 12 slots (75 pts in 72 games)

Det is 10th with 71 points (71 games) - 3-7-0 in the last 10

Stl is 9th with 70 pts (71 games) - 5-4-1 in the last 10

Van is 8th with 69 pts (71 games) - 8-2-0 in the last 10

Sorry, but the way this team is we are very much in the Bedard sweepstakes.

• Agree 2
  • dislike 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As of this post, we are sitting in the 11th draft slot (72 pts in 70 games) - 2-6-2 in the last 10.  Ottawa is in the 12 slots (75 pts in 72 games)

Det is 10th with 71 points (71 games) - 3-7-0 in the last 10

Stl is 9th with 70 pts (71 games) - 5-4-1 in the last 10

Van is 8th with 69 pts (71 games) - 8-2-0 in the last 10

Sorry, but the way this team is we are very much in the Bedard sweepstakes.

Yep... I don't see us catching anyone above us in the overall standings.  5 home games left and all likely are losses.  3 of our road games are against teams below us and those are definitely not guaranteed wins with the way this team is playing.  Could very, very easily get passed by Detroit, St.Louis and Vancouver.  Quite possibly extend that to Philly and Arizona.  We may be looking at a top 6 or 7 pick.  Really sucks that we even have to talk about this but that what comes with yet another disaster of a season with this organization.

I'm struggling to understand two things.  One, why do they play so badly at home?  Two, what the hell happened a couple of weeks ago?  The Sabres were actually in a playoff spot on the NHL website for part of a day.  They beat Toronto and apparently figured that was all they needed to do.  

Are there any theories about either of these?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Alaska John said:

I'm struggling to understand two things.  One, why do they play so badly at home?  Two, what the hell happened a couple of weeks ago?  The Sabres were actually in a playoff spot on the NHL website for part of a day.  They beat Toronto and apparently figured that was all they needed to do.  

It's almost like they were only playing to induce Levi to sign and once that was accomplished the coach turned into a pumpkin.

1 hour ago, Alaska John said:

They were far better at working hard to catch a team for a playoff spot than at holding onto one once they got it.

Literally it was like they looked around at each other and were like "Guys we are in a playoff spot, what do we do?" And they kind of all looked around and shrugged their shoulders and ever since their play has been done the toilet.

I mean even going back to right after the all star break they had a few chances to put themselves in a playoff spot by winning and they completely imploded...every single time they had the chance. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They were far better at working hard to catch a team for a playoff spot than at holding onto one once they got it.

Literally it was like they looked around at each other and were like "Guys we are in a playoff spot, what do we do?" And they kind of all looked around and shrugged their shoulders and ever since their play has been done the toilet.

I mean even going back to right after the all star break they had a few chances to put themselves in a playoff spot by winning and they completely imploded...every single time they had the chance. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Then shouldn't they be playing great this past week or so as they are chasing again?

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

To me when I watch him play or see highlights of him, He is obviously good the results speak for themselves, but nothing 'scares' me if I am playing him like McDavid.  He's not big. He isn't blazing fast. He doesn't have the hardest shot.  He just seems like a 'good' prospect, that has that intangible factor that takes him from good to great...its just not a particular typical measurable skill.

I can’t think of any other CHL player who scored goals at such a rate as Bedard.

In 132 career WHL games, he has 133 goals.  This season he has 70 goals in 55 games.  That is nuts.

I do see your point about him not really having standout electric physical attributes like some others.  I think his standout skills are his deadly arsenal of shots, his puck control, and his brain that’s let’s him play steps ahead of everyone else.

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

I can’t think of any other CHL player who scored goals at such a rate as Bedard.

In 132 career WHL games, he has 133 goals.  This season he has 70 goals in 55 games.  That is nuts.

I do see your point about him not really having standout electric physical attributes like some others.  I think his standout skills are his deadly arsenal of shots, his puck control, and his brain that’s let’s him play steps ahead of everyone else.

But other than that? 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But other than that? 

Real answer:  Other than that, he is a little small, but 5’10” 185 isn’t extreme, and he might have grown.  He isn’t blazing fast, but he is a very good skater.  He isn’t as elite of a playmaker as some other “generational” prospects, but he is very good.

Joke answer:  Other than scoring well over a goal per game, he sucks!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alaska John said:

Yes there is a theory and it goes by the number 23

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Real answer:  Other than that, he is a little small, but 5’10” 185 isn’t extreme, and he might have grown.  He isn’t blazing fast, but he is a very good skater.  He isn’t as elite of a playmaker as some other “generational” prospects, but he is very good.

Joke answer:  Other than scoring well over a goal per game, he sucks!

I was kidding, ya lol 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

When I watched Eichel in college and McDavid in junior, they physically dominated players.  Old clips of Lindros had him looking like he was 25 years old playing with 12 year olds.  Bedard doesn't have that.  His shot and skating (the things a casual viewer will notice right away) are good compared to some junior players, but he doesn't dominate them with his speed/strength/shot power...which is what most casual viewers would notice first.  I'm not saying he won't be great, but he won't 'look' the part as much as other generational talents.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

When I watched Eichel in college and McDavid in junior, they physically dominated players.  Old clips of Lindros had him looking like he was 25 years old playing with 12 year olds.  Bedard doesn't have that.  His shot and skating (the things a casual viewer will notice right away) are good compared to some junior players, but he doesn't dominate them with his speed/strength/shot power...which is what most casual viewers would notice first.  I'm not saying he won't be great, but he won't 'look' the part as much as other generational talents.

Seem to recall a guy that started out in Indianapolis that they said the same thing about.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Curt said:

This is going back a ways but Mario Lemieux scored 133 goals in 70 games in the Q during his draft year.

Ray Ferraro scored 108 goals in 72 games in the WHL.

Guy Lafleur scored 130 goals in 62 games in the Q. He had 103 goals the year before.

There may be more but Bedard is very impressive lapping the WHL as a 17 year old.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.