Sidebar: Jiri Kulich and his 18yr old AHL season

LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

None of Demko, Hart or Saros have any trade protection.  If Buffalo trades for one, they are coming here.

Come on dude 

think about it - it’s not just willingness on the part of the player that presents an obstacle - it’s a matter of competition with the other teams attempting the same trade. The will on the part of the GM.

Just because goalie A, in 2019, went to team X because they paid a first and a second, doesn’t mean goalie A couldn’t have gone to team Y, instead, had they paid 2 firsts 

it doesn’t matter what the market says if your evaluation is accurate.

The will to act.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

If that’s what it takes to get the deal done, and the fall back is UPL, my answer is Yes

In terms of measuring worth by the market, you are absolutely right 

measuring this deal by way of the market rather than the exponential value it would provide *for our specific team* is the error people keep making 

We need not be held hostage by the market, not if following it to a T presents an obstacle to the goal it’s subservient to: winning 

True in this case.  We need a real nhl starting goalie, we need to give Levi games to develop and a goal for what a starter looks like.  Still not going with 2 equivalent 1’s.  

Just now, Pimlach said:

True in this case.  We need a real nhl starting goalie, we need to give Levi games to develop and a goal for what a starter looks like.  Still not going with 2 equivalent 1’s.  

Would you pay 2 first if he couldn’t be had for less, and the fallback was UPL? ( understand they could target elsewhere, I’m just curious) 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Would you pay 2 first if he couldn’t be had for less, and the fallback was UPL? ( understand they could target elsewhere, I’m just curious) 

If the fallback was UPL/Comrie, and I could not get Demko or Hart, then maybe. Depends on what 2 firsts.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Draft picks are so overvalued.  The opportunity to get a bonafide #1 goalie that could be with the team for years?  That demonstrably improves the team immediately? One player that changes the odds of success considerably, by himself?  Yeah, if it took an extra 50% chance at a 2-4th line player in a couple of years to make that deal?  With the prospect pool and young roster that we have?  Why wouldn’t you be in?

Of course, we all should prefer a cost closer to market value, but if that’s what it took to close the deal?  I’m in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

That kinda ties into what was the true goal of the team this year.  Peterka and Quinn may have been up here because it was indeed good for their development, but overall they may not have helped the team as much as a couple of mid-priced Vets on 1 or 2 year deals would have (at least not early in the year).  This year managment may have thought of as 'we WANT to make the playoffs but it still is a development year', allows for that.  Next year, however, if they truly make moves in the offseason to push for the playoffs, you may see the young guys in Rochester....and had the Sabres made those moves last offseason, Quinn or Peterka (or both) may have been in Rochester.

And the Sabres would have been worse off for it

Wouldn’t you expect JJ and Quinn to be better players next season than some random JAG’s? Hell, they may be better than a lot of them alreadY

you want to get real good fast? Let guys who are going to be studs play and learn.  
there is no way this team can’t absorb a guy like Kulich on the team next year.  

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Draft picks are so overvalued.  The opportunity to get a bonafide #1 goalie that could be with the team for years?  That demonstrably improves the team immediately? One player that changes the odds of success considerably, by himself?  Yeah, if it took an extra 50% chance at a 2-4th line player in a couple of years to make that deal?  With the prospect pool and young roster that we have?  Why wouldn’t you be in?

Of course, we all should prefer a cost closer to market value, but if that’s what it took to close the deal?  I’m in.

And you *actively de-value* the asset you are trading the moment you trade it because you immediately improve your team and likely alter where said picks fall in the draft.

Which is of course the rub 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not years - Saros has only 2 years remaining 

this is actually what makes him attractive as a trade possibility as he won’t be around if/when Levi is ready 

I love the idea of trading for Saros but I’m not giving up Savoie or Kulich.  If they want pick #11 in this years draft, UPL and another mid tier prospect then  -  make the deal 

the other big question that I haven’t seen anyone answer is what other teams would be buyers ??  if Hart, demko and Saros are all available and only 2 teams willing to make a substantial offer then it’s a buyers marker and they can get one for a reasonable price 

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not years - Saros has only 2 years remaining 

this is actually what makes him attractive as a trade possibility as he won’t be around if/when Levi is ready 

I love the idea of trading for Saros but I’m not giving up Savoie or Kulich.  If they want pick #11 in this years draft, UPL and another mid tier prospect then  -  make the deal 

the other big question that I haven’t seen anyone answer is what other teams would be buyers ??  if Hart, demko and Saros are all available and only 2 teams willing to make a substantial offer then it’s a buyers marker and they can get one for a reasonable price 

I have to assume that, in a league where 1/3 of the starting goalies are mediocre at best, quite a few teams would be interested in finding a way to put a Saros on their roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

I have to assume that, in a league where 1/3 of the starting goalies are mediocre at best, quite a few teams would be interested in finding a way to put a Saros on their roster.

Sure, interested but a $5million cap hit eliminates a lot of teams right off the hop 

honestly, I can see LA being in the hunt and not sure who else   

then you have to consider, what teams can offer a first round pick that would be more valuable than the Sabres?  If Saros is indeed available, the Sabres would be in a great spot to make the deal happen and retain both Savoie and Kulich 

On 3/23/2023 at 1:54 PM, JKB1646 said:

Devon Levi and Juri for Sam Rienhardt.......hold my beer while I laugh my ass off, bahahahha. Like I said it will go down as KA second fleecing. Heck other teams might not want to deal with this stealth Ninja!

It’s way too early for a victory lap on this.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

It’s way too early for a victory lap on this.  

If you factor in that Reinhart was not going to sign and become an UFA in the following year, that deal was a marvelous deal for us. Of course, there is an assumption that in the near future Levi is going to be a primary goaltender for us. That isn't a stretch to believe. On the other hand, we shouldn't discount the fact that Reinhart was a terrific pickup at a relatively minimal cost for Florida. Good deal for both sides. Just like the Jack deal. 

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you factor in that Reinhart was not going to sign and become an UFA in the following year, that deal was a marvelous deal for us. Of course, there is an assumption that in the near future Levi is going to be a primary goaltender for us. That isn't a stretch to believe. On the other hand, we shouldn't discount the fact that Reinhart was a terrific pickup at a relatively minimal cost for Florida. Good deal for both sides. Just like the Jack deal. 

I’m sure the Panthers are seriously regretting the trade/trading Levi after Spencer Knight entered the assistance program.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I would do what it takes to get saros - 2014 1st+ UPL + prpspect

I do not think the Florida Panthers would agree to this deal. After all the Sabres 2014 1st Round Pick is on their roster. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Love that deal, not sure the preds should do it, but love it.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I would do what it takes to get saros - 2014 1st+ UPL + prpspect

Sabre 2014 1st is in Florida for the goalie of the future.  Can't use it for the goalie of the present.  ;)

And the deal you meant to propose, would do that in a heartbeat if it brought Saros in.

1 hour ago, MBD said:

I’m sure the Panthers are seriously regretting the trade/trading Levi after Spencer Knight entered the assistance program.  

Not necessarily. He's got issues to attend to. That doesn't mean that he can't resolve them. I wish him the best. When organizations make decisions, they do so with the information they have on hand. Sometimes the situation can unexpectantly, dramatically change. You can't control that. The Panthers had a prospect who hadn't signed a pro deal and was years away from playing in the league. So trading him in a package that brought you back a good NHL player was a good deal for them. You just do the best you can with the information you have on hand. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I do not think the Florida Panthers would agree to this deal. After all the Sabres 2014 1st Round Pick is on their roster. 

Ahh yes typo. 2024 1st, UPL and a top prospect not named savoie or kulich?? I’d obviously want to hold on 2023 1st as it better be higher than the 2024 1st.

fair offer may be 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, UPL and a good prospect??

we still would have one pick in each of the top rounds in 2023

we can’t waste another year with abysmal goaltending