Why won't the Pegulas put money into this team?

steveoat87

5 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

I always find it interesting that owners of multiple teams rarely have success with both of them.  Look at Jim Dolan -- he owns the Knicks and The Rangers.  The Knicks have been a horror show until recently, while the Rangers have been well-run for multiple years.  And the Pegulas -- the Bills are overall a good organization while the Sabres are embarrassing.

People think I'm a hockey guy but I'm a football guy. There just happened to be a hockey team for sale.

Decent paraphrase. Will try to find the actual quote.

51 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

They would sell the team tomorrow if they could. They have lost approximately 300 million since they bought team with no way to reverse that. Buffalo is just so small a market. Is there one fortune 500 company left in Buffalo? 

I for one have no idea how a team that is on the worst run in the history of pro hockey has lost so much money. It's a real mystery.

57 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

They would sell the team tomorrow if they could. They have lost approximately 300 million since they bought team with no way to reverse that. Buffalo is just so small a market. Is there one fortune 500 company left in Buffalo? 

Source? Seriously, tell us how you came to this number. 

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I for one have no idea how a team that is on the worst run in the history of pro hockey has lost so much money. It's a real mystery.

Look at the big contracts he gave to free agents in the Rieger era.  Then look at the number of GMs and coaches he paid when they were off the team.   I don’t know how much he lost, if any, but he sure spent a lot of money on people that had contracts and were cut or fired.  

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Teams lost hundreds of millions of dollars during the pandemic alone. As I mentioned previously, there is a reason why the NHL and 20 teams, including the Sabres, filed suit against five insurance companies to recoup those lost revenues.

7 hours ago, Curt said:

This is the 2nd season that they have been a cap floor team.

The season after firing Botterill the team spent to the cap max on player salary.

Not only that, but IIRC Botterill was canned not for performance but rather his unwillingness to cut staff. Adams was all too willing, but interestingly enough, as you point out, they spent under Adams that season to the max - once Taylor Hall presented himself as an opportunity. Now the wisdom of making that move remains up for debate, but the point I think is that even after apparently deciding to cut spending Pegula proved himself willing to be flexible / convinced by Adams/Krueger 

4 hours ago, Curt said:

You can speak as you like, of course, but in general, several is greater than 2.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/several

Personally, my general rule is

couple = 2

few = 3-4

several = 5-10

There’s actually a rather hilarious extended edition scene in Desolation of Smaug featuring the dwarves and Beorn that plays on all of the above lol 

Pegula should sell the Sabres to someone who keeps them in the area. The arena is crumbling, the team hasn't made the playoffs in record time and is losing tons of money. Now Kim seems to be totally out of the picture as well. Pegula just can't successfully manage a major league hockey team so he should check his ego, give the fans all a break and cut his losses.Besides the successful minor league stuff, he's been a major league hockey disaster.

Edited by Quint

Because its not time to spend money yet, apparently

Spending money now on talent to improve this team will only hurt them by giving them a chance to make the playoffs too early and everyone knows its detrimental to a franchise making the playoffs too early. Unless your the cup favorite, its better to skip the playoffs

You also can't spend money on good players because they could block your picks & prospects from making the team, and the only way to be a successful dynasty is to draft all of your top players.

The Pegulas have spent money on this team from top to bottom. They spent on the front office, they spent to upgrade parts of the arena, they have spent on players.

But right now, the Sabres aren't their favorite toy anymore and the Bills are the new favorite because they are winning and successful. The Sabres, are years of spending money unwisely, continue to be a bottom feeder in the league and its caused a big loss of support for the franchise by the fans (and therefore loss of income) so they have moved their focus to the Bills. Once the shine and lustre has worn off on them, they will either be back to focusing on the Sabres, or sell the franchise.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.