Why won't the Pegulas put money into this team?

steveoat87

I am relatively new to this but not sure why the Pegulas are so reluctant to spend money on the Sabres, especially since they appear to be showing some positive signs.  I am a big Bills fans and certainly don't see any reluctance to spend there.

I thought Terry was a big hockey fan and was dying to buy the Sabres.  Even if they have shown a losing past, why not put money into the team to improve it?

56 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

I am relatively new to this but not sure why the Pegulas are so reluctant to spend money on the Sabres, especially since they appear to be showing some positive signs.  I am a big Bills fans and certainly don't see any reluctance to spend there.

I thought Terry was a big hockey fan and was dying to buy the Sabres.  Even if they have shown a losing past, why not put money into the team to improve it?

He's spent a lot of money, just makes bad decisions with it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

In terms of cap, it has only been the last couple years that the Pegulas announced the Sabres would be "Effective, Efficient, and Economical" and run lean with the reduced COVID/gate revenues and the new rebuild where most of the players are playing on ELCs, bridge contracts, or in the case of 2022: all $750k deals.

Prior to that it was "dig another well" and go sign Leino, Moulson, Okposo, and max out on Eichel.

They'll re-sign their own and be right back near the cap in the summer of 2024 when Dahlin, Joker, Power, Mitts, Krebs, UPL are all up for new deals. Even if mostly RFAs, a couple of them will be long-term and big-time extensions.

Unless the original post is more about stadium experience, renovations, and replacement, in which case I assume that is coming once the Bills stadium is into construction and projected cost overruns are more clear.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They have always spent lots of money on the Front Office and Coaching personnel.

This season and last season they seem to purposely spend close to the cap floor on player salaries.  However, prior to that, they basically spent as much as they could each season on player salaries as well.

Personally, I feel pretty confident that starting next season they will spend closer to the cap maximum on player salaries.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, steveoat87 said:

Didn't they just extend tage and cozens?  Taylor Hall before that

Edited by Drag0nDan
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It really sucks that two years of cap leverage in a covid cap crunch was completely wasted and not used to help the team one ounce

There's a few reasons though...

• Anyone whos worth a DAMN in the NHL has some level of no trade clause.  So now you're limited on who you can even get.  
  • When you know you are going to be bad, why be both expensive and bad?
  • Season ticket sales are low
  • Single game ticket sales are low - the product was devalued for years that people expect to be able to go to a game for 10-20 dollars
  • The balance sheet has been red for years, and they're trying to be at least somewhat profitable.

They’ve done the “let’s spend to the cap” strategy before. Didn’t work. They need to first establish a healthy foundation before going down this road. They haven’t proved throwing money will be beneficial. We added at the deadline (as opposed to being active sellers) and they proved they weren’t ready. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Because doing so up until this point hasn't been part of the plan. If the  GM/Hockey operations wanted to get through this year, evaluate and add this offseason, then there would be no reason to spend more money until this offseason. The thing to watch is to see how much they spend adding players to this team in the next year or two and how much/how quickly Dahlin gets in his next deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It really sucks that two years of cap leverage in a covid cap crunch was completely wasted and not used to help the team one ounce

Yep.  All that cap space last year and this year all evaporated on the day the regular season ended.  (Still 3 weeks away this year, but that cap space can't be recouped at this point.)

Even if they only got 2 extra 7th round picks and 2 extra 6th round picks, maybe those can be used to move up a couple of spots to end up with a player they don't expect will make it past those next 2 or so teams.  Find ways to make marginal improvements whereever you can, and eventually they result big improvements.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Because doing so up until this point hasn't been part of the plan. If the  GM/Hockey operations wanted to get through this year, evaluate and add this offseason, then there would be no reason to spend more money until this offseason. The thing to watch is to see how much they spend adding players to this team in the next year or two and how much/how quickly Dahlin gets in his next deal.

As you imply, there are better times to invest heavily than others. This core is not at the point where adding a piece or two puts them over the top and makes them legit contenders. But they will be soon.

As to the Pegulas not spending money? That’s a complete croc. Terry threw money around like it was going out of style and it didn’t get us anywhere. If he wasn't gonna wise up on his own, then the pandemic losses did it for him. There’s a reason why the Sabres, the league, and 19 other teams filed suit against those five insurance companies to recoup some of those pandemic losses. There’s a reason why he implemented the austerity measures and fired JBotts for not complying. But after surviving the pandemic he wasted little time in ramping back up to rebuilding a robust scouting and analytics department, not to mention the willingness to extend several key players as well. 

• Agree 1

The problems associated with this team's play are related to hockey decisions, not money the owner is willing to spend. As others have pointed out the owner has and is investing in the organization so that there is an ability to make analytical decisions. The problem that is evident to everyone is that after the departure of Ullmark the position had not been adequately addressed. Also, our blueline is too thin to begin with let alone be able to absorb the predictable loss of players in that unit. Those issues are related to hockey decisions. Especially with the goalie position, the GM (not the owner) placed this team in a very vulnerable position for whatever inexplicable reason. 

The offseason is approaching with this team again on the sidelines for the playoffs. The glaring deficiencies that are apparent to all but the oblivious need to be addressed this offseason. There are no more excuses not to do it. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, steveoat87 said:

The NFL literally prints money and all of the players salaries are paid for with TV dollars. Bonuses are paid up front from the owner but almost all other play salary expenses are covered. That's why NFL teams have no issues spending.

The NHL loses money for many teams.

3 hours ago, TageMVP said:

They've spent quite bit of money recently to be fair 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

He's spent a lot of money

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Money isn't the issue.

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

They’ve done the “let’s spend to the cap” strategy before.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Pegulas not spending money? That’s a complete croc.

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The problems associated with this team's play are related to hockey decisions, not money the owner is willing to spend.

Terry Pegula:

Throw It Up 2 Chainz GIF by Apple MusicMake It Rain Money GIF by yvngswagMoney Money Smoking GIFThrow Away Make It Rain GIF

4 hours ago, steveoat87 said:

not sure why the Pegulas are so reluctant to spend money on the Sabres

Also Terry Pegula:

Am I A Joke To You GIF

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

On a different note - Is Pegula responsible for the condition of the arena or is that outside of his control (and spending)?

Different topic.  KBC could use $150M+ in improvements, but sentiment last summer was that there's not much appetite from public funding sources to aid this in the wake of $850M for the new Bills stadium.  In any case, the current KBC lease puts all upgrades on the team ownership (this lease expires in 2025);  PSE said they won't start work on KBC until the Bills stadium deal is done, which was still be being finalized a week ago.

Money is not the issue. He paid for the nicest locker room facility in the NHL, voted on by the players. Sabers budget for both clubs just for sticks per year is $1.1M that right there breaks my heart! He definitely has spent stupid money on dumb coaching and management! Pegula has done a lot for Buffalo maybe when you in the midst of it you don't see it but being away I notice the changes around the downtown immediately, Pegula for Mayor!

• Like (+1) 3

They spent money, but they spent it poorly. 

I think it's safe to say that Skinner crapping out after signing the big contract plus Taylor Hall doing nothing made them stop and think why am I paying these guys? 

So the new plan was strip it all down, spend the minimum while you build and then be in good shape later. Problem is when is later? They seem to believe in extremes in this regard rather than balancing things out. No idea where it'll go in the future, but if the subtext to this thread is Pegula is a crap owner, I don't think it would get much argument. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They spent money, but they spent it poorly. 

I think it's safe to say that Skinner crapping out after signing the big contract plus Taylor Hall doing nothing made them stop and think why am I paying these guys? 

So the new plan was strip it all down, spend the minimum while you build and then be in good shape later. Problem is when is later? They seem to believe in extremes in this regard rather than balancing things out. No idea where it'll go in the future, but if the subtext to this thread is Pegula is a crap owner, I don't think it would get much argument. 

The one player you can't criticize for earning his salary is Skinner. Krueger straitjacked Skinner to the point that he crippled him as a player. He may be more of a $7-8 million player but he's not a player I would focus on as being not worth the dollar vs production. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.