“Ain’t that funny?” A comedy show thread.

SHAAAUGHT!!!

I grew up a big George Carlin fan and still am, despite his passing.  I only saw him live once, at Melody Fair, back in the late 80s/early 90s.  I don't live in Buffalo anymore and have no idea if the place still exists.

My current favorite is Sebastian Maniscalco.  I saw his special "Aren't You Embarrassed" back in 2014 on HBO or Showtime and have been a huge fan since.  I saw him at a comedy festival in Arizona a few years ago.  If you have not seen his stuff, I highly recommend it.  A link to "Aren't You Embarrassed" is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Sebastian-Maniscalco-Arent-You-Embarrassed/dp/B07Y8S58HF

I don't see the play of the Sabres in the 2 weeks to be comedic.  I see it more along the lines of sorry and disappointing, but not funny.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I grew up a big George Carlin fan and still am, despite his passing.  I only saw him live once, at Melody Fair, back in the late 80s/early 90s.  I don't live in Buffalo anymore and have no idea if the place still exists.

My current favorite is Sebastian Maniscalco.  I saw his special "Aren't You Embarrassed" back in 2014 on HBO or Showtime and have been a huge fan since.  I saw him at a comedy festival in Arizona a few years ago.  If you have not seen his stuff, I highly recommend it.  A link to "Aren't You Embarrassed" is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Sebastian-Maniscalco-Arent-You-Embarrassed/dp/B07Y8S58HF

I don't see the play of the Sabres in the 2 weeks to be comedic.  I see it more along the lines of sorry and disappointing, but not funny.

https://www.concertarchives.org/venues/melody-fair

On 3/21/2023 at 9:10 AM, PASabreFan said:

Bill Burr sits atop the heap.

Bill is definitely a top draw, and a master of his craft.  I was afforded the the opportunity to see him at the Comedy Store in Hollywood a few months ago, with some other top notch comedians working on new material.  Just a random Thursday in January.  Get this, Sebastian Manascalco, Bill Burr, Whitney Cummings, Marc Maron, Jeff Ross, and John Mulaney all did sets between 20-30 minutes.  Manascalco and Mulaney were just superior in style, writing and performance.  Sebastian was actually playing Wynn Hotel in Vegas that weekend (different and well established material) where tickets were selling for $200.  I paid $25/ea plus I greased the doorman an additional $50 to get my wife and I in the second row of tables near the stage.  The other club to visit is the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach.  Twenty years ago (before kids) we would see Seinfeld, Rock, Jay Leno and Bill Maher working on new bits.  They still get the unannounced star looking to work on new stuff.     

• Like (+1) 1

I've only been to two comedy shows in my life.  The first a friend of a friend, the oddly named Bob Marley.  The other was a post-bat mitzvah gathering for my neighbor's daugther.  That last one was very interesting.  There were two comedians and neither had ever done a show with a room full of mostly kids.  The first rolled with it and made so many "ask your parents about that one" comments.  The second was incredibly awkward because of it, constantly starting jokes and then just saying "oh wait, can't tell that one".

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m seeing Anthony Jeselnik at the Carlson in ROC in April. It’ll be my first time seeing him and I’m glad he’s still small-time enough to do clubs.

I like him. Even for comedians, he's kinda cracked.

• Like (+1) 1

Aside from the mainstays that most everyone knows, I'd recommend checking out Shane Gillis. Absolute killer. I thought he had the best special of last year. 

Also, his sketch comedy is hilarious, and I kinda hate sketches. Check out Gilly and Keeves for some of that.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one of the greatest bits of all time. Years ago Doug Stanhope had a bit about Keynesian Economic Theory as Applied to Private Sector Independent Contracting. I can't post it here, because I'll be banned. Happy youtubing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.