How important is Mattius Samuelsson?

Crusader1969

https://theathletic.com/4348003/2023/03/28/nhl-most-underrated-defensemen/

Samuelsson makes this list and the guys on this list are the type of guys we need more of not less.  With Power and Dahlin, we need one more Samuelsson type to balance the top pairs.  If KA can do that we’ll take a mediocre D group and turn it into a very good one.  

“Mattias Samuelsson, Buffalo Sabres

The Buffalo Sabres are an elite offensive team, ranking third in the league behind Edmonton and Bostonwith 3.57 goals per game. They’ve faded from the playoff race because they lack quality defensive players. That’s put a spotlight on the importance of Mattias Samuelsson, their go-to rugged defensive defensemen, who’s been in and out of the lineup because of injuries.

Buffalo has a 28-16-4 record when Samuelsson’s played and a dismal 7-15-2 record when he’s been hurt.

Samuelsson is 6-4, 231 pounds and plays a throwback style with his physical nature. He’s also mobile which combined with his long reach and excellent stickwork makes him an excellent one-on-one defender. Watch how he effortlessly eliminates a Brayden Point rush.

Here’s another example of a brilliant defensive stop against a puck carrier with speed.

Samuelsson, 23, is going to be a crucial piece for the Sabres as a caddy for either Rasmus Dahlin or Owen Power.”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4348003/2023/03/28/nhl-most-underrated-defensemen/

Samuelsson makes this list and the guys on this list are the type of guys we need more of not less.  With Power and Dahlin, we need one more Samuelsson type to balance the top pairs.  If KA can do that we’ll take a mediocre D group and turn it into a very good one.  

“Mattias Samuelsson, Buffalo Sabres

The Buffalo Sabres are an elite offensive team, ranking third in the league behind Edmonton and Bostonwith 3.57 goals per game. They’ve faded from the playoff race because they lack quality defensive players. That’s put a spotlight on the importance of Mattias Samuelsson, their go-to rugged defensive defensemen, who’s been in and out of the lineup because of injuries.

Buffalo has a 28-16-4 record when Samuelsson’s played and a dismal 7-15-2 record when he’s been hurt.

Samuelsson is 6-4, 231 pounds and plays a throwback style with his physical nature. He’s also mobile which combined with his long reach and excellent stickwork makes him an excellent one-on-one defender. Watch how he effortlessly eliminates a Brayden Point rush.

Here’s another example of a brilliant defensive stop against a puck carrier with speed.

Samuelsson, 23, is going to be a crucial piece for the Sabres as a caddy for either Rasmus Dahlin or Owen Power.”

I'm as big a Samuelsson fan as there is on this site. But the record disparity between when he plays and doesn't play is deceiving. The main reason why the record plummets when he is not playing is the unit lacks depth. So when he is out there is a cascading effect when replacements have to be fill-ins, not only replacing his spot but through the rest of the pairings. Lyubushkin has recently demonstrated over the last half dozen games or so that he is capable of playing well but also playing on a higher pair. This offseason the GM needs to add one or two players Lyubushkin caliber players to the unit. That's an imperative and challenge for the GM to do this offseason. 

note: I wasn't able bring up your link so I don't know what players you would like to target. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm as big a Samuelsson fan as there is on this site. But the record disparity between when he plays and doesn't play is deceiving. The main reason why the record plummets when he is not playing is the unit lacks depth. So when he is out there is a cascading effect when replacements have to be fill-ins, not only replacing his spot but through the rest of the pairings. Lyubushkin has recently demonstrated over the last half dozen games or so that he is capable of playing well but also playing on a higher pair. This offseason the GM needs to add one or two players Lyubushkin caliber players to the unit. That's an imperative and challenge for the GM to do this offseason. 

note: I wasn't able bring up your link so I don't know what players you would like to target. 

Good post, but I'd aim higher.

The Sabres have played very few games with all of Dahlin/Mule/Power/Joki/Boosh in the lineup.

I just did a quick count of games where both Joki and Mule were dressed up until the end of February.

Our record was 18/10/4.

One more defenceman of their quality would make such a difference.

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 3/19/2023 at 1:57 PM, Crusader1969 said:

the good :

Record with him in the lineup. 

28W 16L 4OTL

the bad:

He's only played 48 games and someone once said the best ability is availability 

I think he is extremely important but he shouldn’t be THAT important.  Reflects very poorly on this teams depth or more appropriately lack of experience 

In this case I’d agree he’s extremely important, imo, given that he shores up a weak spot on the team. Like an otherwise good football team that has zero pass rush getting a great pass rusher, or awful pass coverage and adding a great CB, those can be a big difference in team success. Samuelsson seems the best all around defenseman (not the offensive prowess of Dahlin, of course).  Obviously they need more elements but he brings features to a weak area that few others do. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Good post, but I'd aim higher.

The Sabres have played very few games with all of Dahlin/Mule/Power/Joki/Boosh in the lineup.

I just did a quick count of games where both Joki and Mule were dressed up until the end of February.

Our record was 18/10/4.

One more defenceman of their quality would make such a difference.

I have said for quite a while that I would like another Lyubushkin caliber to the mix. I don't think that it is inconceivable that two players in that talent range could be added to the unit this offseason. What has recently surprised me is how well Illya is playing. I previously considered him a good third pairing player but now I would elevate my rating and categorize him as a 4-5 defenseman. I have a higher assessment of Joki than most of the members here have. I still see him having more upside to his game. Stillman is another solid addition who can be a quality 4th pair player. The high number of minutes that Power and Dahlin are currently subjected to is unsustainable on a long-term basis. 

I'm not sure what our GM is going to do this offseason in addressing the goalie position. If he stays with the status quo (which I think he will), one way to improve the play in net is to better support that position with better blue line play. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I forget who the hockey pundit was that said it, but his assertion was that the Sabres, other than Power, don’t have a D man capable of moving up a pair when injuries require it. We’ve got a 7/8 pair in Bryson/Clague trying to play 5/6 with Boosh, who isn’t good enough to be a 2nd pair D, while we have a 2nd pair D man in Joki who isn’t good enough to move up to the  top pair if needed. Ideally, Power finds a legit 2nd pair D man and Joki moves down to 3rd pair with Boosh. 

All of which was just a long winded way if saying the same thing you did; we lack depth at D.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

I forget who the hockey pundit was that said it, but his assertion was that the Sabres, other than Power, don’t have a D man capable of moving up a pair when injuries require it. We’ve got a 7/8 pair in Bryson/Clague trying to play 5/6 with Boosh, who isn’t good enough to be a 2nd pair D, while we have a 2nd pair D man in Joki who isn’t good enough to move up to the  top pair if needed. Ideally, Power finds a legit 2nd pair D man and Joki moves down to 3rd pair with Boosh. 

All of which was just a long winded way if saying the same thing you did; we lack depth at D.

Over the past 10 games or so Boosh has really surprised me by his play. He has been one of our most consistent and dependable defenders. He has gotten healthy and seems more comfortable with the team's defensive scheme. I consider him more of a third pairing caliber of player. However, based on his improved play he is capable on a temporary basis of moving up the pairing list when needed. 

I have a different view on Joki than most of the members here. I'm higher on him than the rank and file are. Whether he is playing on the first or second pairing, his best role is being the complementary defender. Whether he is paired with Power or Dahlin, his style of play allows the other primary players to accentuate their impressive talents. 

The overwhelming consensus here is that the blue line unit still needs additions to create more depth to absorb injuries and still be able to maintain a level of play that doesn't become a vulnerability. I would like to see 2 Lyubushkin caliber of players added to the blueline unit. 

Next season the core of the defense will be aged 29 Boushh, 24 Joker, 23 Dahlin and Muel, and 21 Power. That core 5 (yes, including Boushh for next season) is about to become very good.

And the current 6-8 guys (with only Clague RFA this offseason): 26 Stillman and Bryson, 25 Clague. And the only realistic AHL callup: 22 Johnson (if signed).

They need one more top-4 capable 19-21 minute capable UFA signee (or trade acquisition) who is a savvy vet that has been-there done-that to provide some steadiness and clear people from bowling over Levi/Comrie.

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I still say they need 2, but 1 definitely. If you don't want to spend the coin on Orlov (or he doesn't want to come here) my choice is still Conor Clifton. 

Pilfering either of them from Boston would be a good win-win. You'll get pushback from some folks with Clifton on account of his size.

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Pilfering either of them from Boston would be a good win-win. You'll get pushback from some folks with Clifton on account of his size.

Clifton isn't big, but he's tough. Surprising to many here I imagine he leads the Bruins in hits. Was watching the Bruins Preds game tonight. If people here had seen Clifton absolutely wipe out Jankowski on his breakaway attempt they'd be sold on the idea. 

My biggest reason for pushing Clifton though is he's grossly underpaid and with the Bruins D depth and their salary cap squeeze I can't see them being able to bump his pay up where it belongs. Likely Zboril's their #6 next year instead purely for economic reasons. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Over the past 10 games or so Boosh has really surprised me by his play. He has been one of our most consistent and dependable defenders. He has gotten healthy and seems more comfortable with the team's defensive scheme. I consider him more of a third pairing caliber of player. However, based on his improved play he is capable on a temporary basis of moving up the pairing list when needed. 

I have a different view on Joki than most of the members here. I'm higher on him than the rank and file are. Whether he is playing on the first or second pairing, his best role is being the complementary defender. Whether he is paired with Power or Dahlin, his style of play allows the other primary players to accentuate their impressive talents. 

The overwhelming consensus here is that the blue line unit still needs additions to create more depth to absorb injuries and still be able to maintain a level of play that doesn't become a vulnerability. I would like to see 2 Lyubushkin caliber of players added to the blueline unit. 

I think anyone can go up a level in a pinch because they have to in a pinch. But the hockey pundit’s larger point was that the Sabres have three D men with first pair abilities, Joki and Boosh are 3rd pair talents, and everyone else is a 7/8. We need another solid 2nd pair player. 

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

I think anyone can go up a level in a pinch because they have to in a pinch. But the hockey pundit’s larger point was that the Sabres have three D men with first pair abilities, Joki and Boosh are 3rd pair talents, and everyone else is a 7/8. We need another solid 2nd pair player. 

For the most part, Joki has been paired with Power. Power has thrived as a player. Is Joki a factor for his emerging play? I would say yes. There are times when Joki is paired with Dahlin. Has that diminished the Swede's play? I don't think so. However, I have said many times if more talent is added to the unit that results in Joki or even Sameulsson moving to a lower pairing, I would not only be receptive to that change but also be ecstatic about it. It would clearly indicate more talent added to the unit. Having more talent is not an issue that I'm going to complain about. On the contrary, I will celebrate it. 

Sometimes a player can be rated as a third pairing player yet still be very effective being paired with another player on a higher pairing. The factors influencing that move up has a lot to do with the ability to mesh with another player. I believe that dynamic applies both to Joki and Sammy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.