Devon Levi Signed to 3 year deal

sabresparaavida

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

The "bet," as you call it, is relative to the other goalies on the team.  It's not a bad idea IMO.  I know Comrie had a great night last night, and I'm happy about it, but from what we've seen, he's unlikely to repeat the performance tomorrow, and UPL and Anderson could screw things up too.  I'm not saying Levi SHOULD start, but I can't see it as a bad idea in light of the alternatives.

Absolutely.

Maybe you noticed how good Comrie played when our defense was playing, uh... defense. This had been my point all along. If you defend better, your goaltending gets better. If the Sabres play that way for young Levi, I feel a lot better than putting him out in a shootout drill like the Nashville game was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Am betting he'll do better than Anderson has done in these "guaranteed win" versus bad opponent games.  5 of them since January 1 and the team is 0-4-1 in them.  For all the talk about the 8 game losing streak or the poor stretch since Tuch went out and Dahlin was hurt too which has now morphed into Samuelsson out and Thompson playing hurt, if they pick up 7 out of 10 points in those instead of a truly pathetic 1 point, they're the team that's getting chased.

Would like to see Levi get the start tomorrow.  If not him, either Comrie or UPL.  For the love of all that is Holy, please do not put Anderson in net that game.  Yes, they could win it with Andy in it, but why risk throwing away another 2 points in that situation.

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

Levi is not chopped liver. Giving him a start against MTL would be consistent with us trying to win. 

4 hours ago, Believer said:

Levi… top college goaltender,  in front of family and friends, with the city of Montreal watching their hometown son make his NHL debut… vs our 7% chance of getting in the playoffs even with Comrie coming off a shutout?…

If Levi tells DG he wants the start… and assuming he’s practiced well… is it a tough call for DG?… Maybe… Easy call for me… 

Just posting about the possibility makes me smile…

But I’m old… seen enough to believe in the Power of Circumstance… and bet Levi and his teammates can meet his moment…

Really we have no idea what Levi can do. He's never played against professional competition. I'm not saying he won't do well. Just warning against exuberance for the unknown.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Am betting he'll do better than Anderson has done in these "guaranteed win" versus bad opponent games.  5 of them since January 1 and the team is 0-4-1 in them.  For all the talk about the 8 game losing streak or the poor stretch since Tuch went out and Dahlin was hurt too which has now morphed into Samuelsson out and Thompson playing hurt, if they pick up 7 out of 10 points in those instead of a truly pathetic 1 point, they're the team that's getting chased.

Would like to see Levi get the start tomorrow.  If not him, either Comrie or UPL.  For the love of all that is Holy, please do not put Anderson in net that game.  Yes, they could win it with Andy in it, but why risk throwing away another 2 points in that situation.

I, and most everyone else, agree with you on shelving Anderson. He seems to be spent. But I still wouldn't go with Levi in this game. I didn't watch the game but every report on the game indicated that Comrie played very well. I'm excited with Levi now being in the system. And I expect that he will play before the season concludes. I just think that Comrie deserves another opportunity to play based on his previous performance.

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Start Levi and he will never give up the Net ever again.

Yep. He’s gonna Wally Pipp UPL and Comrie. But as @Porous Five Holesaid earlier, he has had zero formal practices with the team, just a morning skate on Friday and it’s likely the coaches wanna see him in practice a few times before throwing him in there, which makes a ton of sense. 

That said, Levi is already the best goalie on our team given the atrocious net minding we have seen the majority of games this year. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Yep. He’s gonna Wally Pipp UPL and Comrie. But as @Porous Five Holesaid earlier, he has had zero formal practices with the team, just a morning skate on Friday and it’s likely the coaches wanna see him in practice a few times before throwing him in there, which makes a ton of sense. 

That said, Levi is already the best goalie on our team given the atrocious net minding we have seen the majority of games this year. 

Are you aware that the youngsters in the room don't know who Wally Pipp is? Although the aged and infirm know exactly what you mean. Black And White Wow GIF by Laff

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Really we have no idea what Levi can do. He's never played against professional competition. I'm not saying he won't do well. Just warning against exuberance for the unknown.

According to Paul Hamilton, Levi hasn't even practiced with the team yet. Too many people are jumping the gun on this exciting prospect. Comrie should get the start against Montreal. Just focus on one game at a time and keep the race going as long as possible.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

According to Paul Hamilton, Levi hasn't even practiced with the team yet. Too many people are jumping the gun on this exciting prospect. Comrie should get the start against Montreal. Just focus on one game at a time and keep the race going as long as possible.

Yeah, no practice, much less several under his belt, no start.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Are you aware that the youngsters in the room don't know who Wally Pipp is? Although the aged and infirm know exactly what you mean. Black And White Wow GIF by Laff

Wally Pipp?  He was displaced by Lou Gehrig in 1925, almost 100 years ago.  

That has to be about 30 years prior to the birth of the oldest SS members.  

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Wally Pipp?  He was displaced by Lou Gehrig in 1925, almost 100 years ago.  

That has to be about 30 years prior to the birth of the oldest SS members.  

The problem isn't so much that people weren't alive during that period. It relates to not using other sources such as reading or videos to look back on time.  

Take this information however you wish but I ran into an nhl scout the other day who I hadn’t seen in awhile. He used to razz me about the Sabres all the time. 
I hadn’t seen him in quite sometime, in fact he’d started working for another team in that time. 

So we had a beer and got talking shop. Anyway I mentioned how it finally looks like the Sabres are coming and said I was excited about them signing Levi. He agreed the Sabres are looking like a good team going forward but He quickly said, don’t get your hopes up on Levi. We didn’t get into it (the ladies were tired of hockey talk) but I found that to be an interesting comment. 

Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Take this information however you wish but I ran into an nhl scout the other day who I hadn’t seen in awhile. He used to razz me about the Sabres all the time. 
I hadn’t seen him in quite sometime, in fact he’d started working for another team in that time. 

So we had a beer and got talking shop. Anyway I mentioned how it finally looks like the Sabres are coming and said I was excited about them signing Levi. He agreed the Sabres are looking like a good team going forward but He quickly said, don’t get your hopes up on Levi. We didn’t get into it (the ladies were tired of hockey talk) but I found that to be an interesting comment. 

Time will tell.

Opinions are like...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.