Devon Levi Signed to 3 year deal

sabresparaavida

46 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Levi in net would bring the team and the fans energy 

My guess is Levi is chomping at the bit for this start… DG denies him for development reasons?… Nope… DG goes with the kid, my bet

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Believer said:

My guess is Levi is chomping at the bit for this start… DG denies him for development reasons?… Nope… DG goes with the kid, my bet

You're betting the kid can win his debut while we are still in a playoff race with only 2 losses to spare. (tops)

If not MTL, maybe the Flyers? A team that isn't an offensive force, but has had our number all season.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're betting the kid can win his debut while we are still in a playoff race with only 2 losses to spare. (tops)

If not MTL, maybe the Flyers? A team that isn't an offensive force, but has had our number all season.

The "bet," as you call it, is relative to the other goalies on the team.  It's not a bad idea IMO.  I know Comrie had a great night last night, and I'm happy about it, but from what we've seen, he's unlikely to repeat the performance tomorrow, and UPL and Anderson could screw things up too.  I'm not saying Levi SHOULD start, but I can't see it as a bad idea in light of the alternatives.

6 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Levi vs. Montreal would be almost like a circus like atmosphere....must see TV.

Absolutely.

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

Really, Saros knows who Levi is?

Why not?  It's not like they didn't meet each other and Levi wasn't a top college goalie, i.e. someone worth knowing.

MTL is the worst team left on the schedule.  It's either them or no one (until they're officially eliminated).

And hopefully they will feel the need to continue this new-found defensive mindfulness because there is a rookie in goal.

Edited by MBD
  • Like (+1) 2

Levi… top college goaltender,  in front of family and friends, with the city of Montreal watching their hometown son make his NHL debut… vs our 7% chance of getting in the playoffs even with Comrie coming off a shutout?…

If Levi tells DG he wants the start… and assuming he’s practiced well… is it a tough call for DG?… Maybe… Easy call for me… 

Just posting about the possibility makes me smile…

But I’m old… seen enough to believe in the Power of Circumstance… and bet Levi and his teammates can meet his moment…

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Give Levi the start against his hometown team.  We aren’t making the playoffs without running the table.   Might as well make his debut special.

Is that the speech Donny G should give the boys; that we aren’t making the playoffs unless we run the table so we might as well start Devon against his hometown team to make it special? 

If it were up to me, I’d start Levi because he is already the best goalie on the team and gives us the best chance of winning. 

I think next weekend is far more likely. 

Levi hasn’t been through a full practice yet (only a game day skate).  

And due to the stretch of three games in four nights, they won’t practice until after Monday’s game versus Montreal.

Then a day off on Tuesday. Full practice on Wed & Thur. That’ll be the first real look at Devon’s readiness the coaching staff will have. 

The next games from here are home v Rangers on Friday and away v Flyers on Saturday.  I would bet the Flyers game is his. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think next weekend is far more likely. 

Levi hasn’t been through a full practice yet (only a game day skate).  

And due to the stretch of three games in four nights, they won’t practice until after Monday’s game versus Montreal.

Then a day off on Tuesday. Full practice on Wed & Thur. That’ll be the first real look at Devon’s readiness the coaching staff will have. 

The next games from here are home v Rangers on Friday and away v Flyers on Saturday.  I would bet the Flyers game is his. 

I think you nailed it here.

• Like (+1) 1

He should not start until he's had several practices under his belt and from that appears to be able to start.  And then it should go to asking Levi if he's ready to start and then approaching the team (at least the leaders) and asking if they would be OK with him starting.

25 minutes ago, MBD said:

He should not start until he's had several practices under his belt and from that appears to be able to start.  And then it should go to asking Levi if he's ready to start and then approaching the team (at least the leaders) and asking if they would be OK with him starting.

Fixed.  

Why do put out this on the players?  Awkward.   If the coaches decide he plays then he plays.  

Sports teams are not democracies.   

Just now, Pimlach said:

Fixed.  

Why do put out this on the players?  Awkward.   If the coaches decide he plays then he plays.  

Sports teams are not democracies.   

If it's before they're eliminated from the playoffs, they should absolutely consult with at least the team leaders.  And that doesn't make it a democracy.

7 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

We all ok if Levi starts vs Montreal still? 

I am.  Home game on a Monday night. Arena filled with Habs fans.  We’ve seen this game before many times this year.  Buffalo usually comes out flat 

Levi in net would bring the team and the fans energy 

Absolutely not! The Sabres are still in the playoff hunt although it is a long shot. His playing so soon would send a bad message to the team. Comrie had a good game against the Islanders. I would prefer that he started this game. In addition, if Comrie demonstrates that he can be a good goalie in this league, it would be a factor in how the GM addresses that position in the offseason. I'm confident that Levi will play before the season concludes. But not so soon. Let's ride this out until the road ends. Then play this exciting prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Absolutely not! The Sabres are still in the playoff hunt although it is a long shot. His playing so soon would send a bad message to the team. Comrie had a good game against the Islanders. I would prefer that he started this game. In addition, if Comrie demonstrates that he can be a good goalie in this league, it would be a factor in how the GM addresses that position in the offseason. I'm confident that Levi will play before the season concludes. But not so soon. Let's ride this out until the road ends. Then play this exciting prospect. 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I’d bet he would be at least as good an option as the other 3 options on the team 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Is that the speech Donny G should give the boys; that we aren’t making the playoffs unless we run the table so we might as well start Devon against his hometown team to make it special? 

If it were up to me, I’d start Levi because he is already the best goalie on the team and gives us the best chance of winning. 

If winning for the new guy has even the slightest positive effect on the team, I believe it would, then you put Levi in the net 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't think he'll play until the Sabres are out of it, as it should be. The team and the fans deserve that much.

It’s not like we are sitting Ken Dryden to play Levi!  Comrie is coming off injury so playing 2 games 48 hours might not even a possibility.  That leaves UPL or Anderson.  Andersons last game was a disaster and it’s not been a week, so I wouldn’t go with him and UPL has been inconsistent (putting it mildly)

go with the kid.  Future starts now 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Am betting he'll do better than Anderson has done in these "guaranteed win" versus bad opponent games.  5 of them since January 1 and the team is 0-4-1 in them.  For all the talk about the 8 game losing streak or the poor stretch since Tuch went out and Dahlin was hurt too which has now morphed into Samuelsson out and Thompson playing hurt, if they pick up 7 out of 10 points in those instead of a truly pathetic 1 point, they're the team that's getting chased.

Would like to see Levi get the start tomorrow.  If not him, either Comrie or UPL.  For the love of all that is Holy, please do not put Anderson in net that game.  Yes, they could win it with Andy in it, but why risk throwing away another 2 points in that situation.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I think he's already given them that speech.  They have played so much looser the last 2 games.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.