GDT: Sabres at Flyers 3-17-2023 7pm MSG, WGR

spndnchz

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't fault anybody for not fighting DesLauriers, but he could have offered more push back for sure. Flyers had smiles on their faces. They pretty much knew nobody would drop them. 

They sure did.  That is when they knew the game was over.  4-1 score and no Sabres answer the bell.  

Why do we carry Greenway if he won’t take on a goon like DesLauriers?   Greenway was a willing combatant when he skated alongside Foligno and the other big guys in Minnesota.   Is he going to change his game now?  

This talk that DG is going to improve his game and make him score more is just nonsense.   We needed him to take on DesLauriers, that is not a job for Kyle.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

That’s certainly seems like the ideal situation. I hate overacting, so I’m not gonna say we need to trade everyone, Fire the coach and gm etc. But finding competent depth so we can keep the boys fresher later should be a goal, along with defense and a bit-o-grit.

See what i did there being St Patrick’s day and all? Lol.

ok a lot more grit.

Finding the missing pieces that add toughness and grit are a challenge.   Already Greenway seems unwilling to take on that role.   What a major disappointment he was last night.  

The “lack of depth “ is mostly a problem on the defense.  You see what happens with Bryson in the line up. Clagg is weak also.  

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They sure did.  That is when they knew the game was over.  4-1 score and no Sabres answers the bell.  

Why do we carry Greenway if he won’t take in a goon like DesLauriers?   Greenway was a willing combatant when he skated alongside Foligno and the other big guys in Minnesota.   Is he going to change his game? 

This talk that DG is going to improve his game and make him score more is nonsense.   We needed him to take on DesLauriers, that is not a job for Kyle.   

@PerreaultForever 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

This playoff trend is starting to head toward last year. Last year Sabres were winning after Allstar game. This year we are losing.

Sabres are NOT getting better, two top players are trending down in Tage and Dahlin.

Not listening to Adams or Granto. Failed to offer REAL HELP in push to playoffs.

Last year we were out of it and snuck wins past teams.  This year we are in it and teams are up for us.  The league knows how to slow us down.  The blueprint is there.  Look at all the losses to the lower echelon teams.  They play the same game. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I would say @PerreaultForeverand I agree on this one.  Greenway is a 4th line talent on this team.  That’s all he is.   If he won’t engage with the other teams tough guy, if that job gets left to Krebs and Kyle, then I don’t want him on the team.  

And he has not helped the PK either. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would say @PerreaultForeverand I agree on this one.  Greenway is a 4th line talent on this team.  That’s all he is.   If he won’t engage with the other teams tough guy, if that job gets left to Krebs and Kyle, then I don’t want him on the team.  

And he has not helped the PK either. 

@PerreaultForever and I disagree because he doesn’t think that DG would try and change Greenways game and I believe he would. I think DG would have him focus on scoring instead of having him be physical and hit people one way or another. I heard Greenway was hard on the forecheck. The only thing I’ve seen was how he can freeze the put in the corner but he hasn’t been remotely physical 

Edited by Sidc3000

11 hours ago, phil_soisson said:

Rick Dudley punched the snot out of Broad Street bully, Bob Kelly.

I remember going to a Sabres-Flyers game and Schoenfeld roughed up Schultz. Took him down. Later on a line change, Schultz was skating off and Jim was standing at the point waiting for the face-off. Schoenfeld fake lunged at him and Schultz jumped away. The crowed went nuts and laughed at him. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Stillman was right there and did nothing. He’s probably learned that he’s not a fighter after being laid out. 

Stillman was at least in it and helped out.  Losing a fight to Jeannot is not a shame, no one beats Jeannot right now.  

Not one player dropped a stick, let alone a glove last night.  It was all about Flyer intimidation.  Go after Krebs, go after Kyle when he defends Krebs.  If Looby and Stillman were not out there we are in trouble.  

Stillman has been better than Greenway so far. 

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I missed this one last night. Looking at the score and the comments, it appears I made a good choice. 

This team will beat the Leafs, then lose to Columbus and Philly, just not consistent enough to get over the hump. 

They never showed up. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Stillman was at least in it and helped out.  Losing a fight to Jeannot is not a shame, no one beats Jeannot right now.  

Not one player dropped a stick, let alone a glove last night.  It was all about Flyer intimidation.  Go after Krebs, go after Kyle when he defends Krebs.  If Looby and Stillman were not out there we are in trouble.  

Stillman has been better than Greenway so far. 

They never showed up. 

Stillman stood there watching his Captain get pushed around by Deslauriers after the initial scrum. 

Honest question.  How many games have we lost because of goaltending this year? 2-3, 6-8, more? We are close enough to the playoffs that almost any amount would put us in the playoffs. I know we need defense help but I'm just focusing on goaltending. Just one player could have made a huge difference. Also I know even good goalies have bad games and cost games but I'm talking about losses above what average goaltending would do. I  think we're in the 6-8 games lost solely because of poor goaltending. 

30 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

@PerreaultForever and I disagree because he doesn’t think that DG would try and change Greenways game and I believe he would. I think DG would have him focus on scoring instead of having him be physical and hit people one way or another. I heard Greenway was hard on the forecheck. The only thing I’ve seen was how he can freeze the put in the corner but he hasn’t been remotely physical 

Why are you speaking for @PerreaultForever?    

Players can be physical and still be skilled and score. 

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Finding the missing pieces that add toughness and grit are a challenge.   Already Greenway seems unwilling to take on that role.   What a major disappointment he was last night.  

The “lack of depth “ is mostly a problem on the defense.  You see what happens with Bryson in the line up. Clagg is weak also.  

I agree they are tough to find. And Im not looking for John Scott. I want a forward to drive the net, and defensemen that generally get pissed about anyone from another team being within three feet of our goalie. For instance if an opposing forward inadvertently makes contact with our goalie after a save, he should at least take gloves to the face. Honestly, I hate that we let them do that. We don’t have to fight, we just need to make it uncomfortable to be there. Eventually they won’t do it.
I’m not gonna decide anything long term on Greenway. He just got here. Had to move, meet new teammates, settle in etc. I agree, early eye test is not encouraging. But neither was Tage. I’m not saying he’s Tage, but I’m sure Donnie Meatballs has a plan for him. I think our plan is he crashes the nets and generally abuses the other team. Maybe Donnie sees some offensive upside. Personally, I don’t like it, but my hockey career died when I was 12. I was a pretty good firefighter though. Lol.

Thanks for your post. As far as Bryson and Clagg………… I’m with the end of the world folks on here as far as that’s concerned. 😎

Totally agree that Greenway has been a major disappointment (and I still say we traded with the right team but wrong player). As I said in my earlier post this team is pretty-much a carbon-copy of their coach...nice guys (and we know where they finish). It is one thing to lose but to have an ex-Sabre showboat and show us up is pretty sad. I have no use in having another GAG if that is all Greenway is. I was disappointed we took out Jost...he is not as big but has a bigger heart. I was convinced Donnie would get the team fired up for the 2nd period and instead they looked no different. As stated earlier well-coached teams can beat us pretty-well every time. Teams that try to skate and scorre with us (like TO) we can beat. Seems strange KA addressed the need for toughness apparently then suddenly the tough guy turns into marshmellow right before our eyes.

Oh man and don't get me going on goaltending...hell even the old man looks like he's is out of gas. 5 goals on like 22 shots by a team that has few goal scorers? Yikes...      

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Last year we were out of it and snuck wins past teams.  This year we are in it and teams are up for us.  The league knows how to slow us down.  The blueprint is there.  Look at all the losses to the lower echelon teams.  They play the same game. 

It seems that a lot of lower echelon teams are getting wins this time of year.  We’ve seen the Sabres play well down the stretch many times ourselves 

hope the score board smiles on the Sabres today! 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Greenway is everything he was supposed to be. I guarantee he will not be on this team next year and that will be a wasted 3rd round pick. He is slow, he is not tough, and his PK is awful. I mean, wow, he is completely useless on this team and they need to cut bait next year. 

I disagree with the bolded.  He is not anything like what I expected.  

But, he will be on the team next year.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Greenway is everything he was supposed to be. I guarantee he will not be on this team next year and that will be a wasted 3rd round pick. He is slow, he is not tough, and his PK is awful. I mean, wow, he is completely useless on this team and they need to cut bait next year. 

I have some bad news

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Stillman stood there watching his Captain get pushed around by Deslauriers after the initial scrum. 

Stillman got his ass handed to him in his last fight and missed time. Don't think he's super keen on jumping in with Deslauriers who would have equally or worse beaten his ass.

5 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Stillman got his ass handed to him in his last fight and missed time. Don't think he's super keen on jumping in with Deslauriers who would have equally or worse beaten his ass.

I’m not saying he needs to drop the gloves but you’re good with him just stand there and watch Deslauriers push around the Captain? Obviously I feel differently. IMO he should have gotten in between them even if he took a penalty. The game was way over by that point, who cares

Edited by Sidc3000

9 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I’m not saying he needs to drop the gloves but you’re good with him just stand there and watch Deslauriers push around the Captain? Obviously I feel differently. IMO he should have gotten in between them even if he took a penalty. The game was way over by that point, who cares

Maybe the captain should be a captain and lead rather than have a guy who has been on the team for 2 weeks come to his rescue.

The whole team is soft top to bottom and the entire league knows it.

17 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Maybe the captain should be a captain and lead rather than have a guy who has been on the team for 2 weeks come to his rescue.

The whole team is soft top to bottom and the entire league knows it.

When you were picked specifically to add “grit” To the team then it IS your job. Plus he should do what he needs to do to gain respect amongst his teammates and sticking up for your Captain, who is also one of the elders of the team, would go a long way. Obviously you don’t know what respect is or how to gain it

plus Okie was doing his job and by standing up to Delarieus. It was plainly obvious that Stillman didn’t have the balls to do it so Okie did. 

Edited by Sidc3000

10 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

When you were picked specifically to add “grit” To the team then it IS your job. Plus he should do what he needs to do to gain respect amongst his teammates and sticking up for your Captain, who is also one of the elders of the team, would go a long way. Obviously you don’t know what respect is or how to gain it

plus Okie was doing his job and by standing up to Delarieus. It was plainly obvious that Stillman didn’t have the balls to do it so Okie did. 

I'll repeat. The entire team is soft and the entire league knows it.

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I'll repeat. The entire team is soft and the entire league knows it.

I’ll repeat, Stillman was brought in specifically to help with that. 

Don’t get me wrong, I  agree with you on how soft the team is. Thats why the Philly players were laughing at them last night

Edited by Sidc3000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.