GDT: Sabres at Flyers 3-17-2023 7pm MSG, WGR

spndnchz

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

This team is toast. Losing to the Flyers is irritating. Very frustrating. 

That said, the blasting of the team is absurd. It’s improved in leaps and bounds from last year. Youth is not an “excuse.” It’s a fact. Reality. The vast majority of the team is not yet in their prime; not close. Most are 2-3 years away. 

But they do have a good deal of talent. They are in serious need of a strong, top 2, top 4 defenseman. And a two-way forward. I don’t know that that will be out there after the trade deadline deals unfortunately. 

Youth is a reality but also an excuse. Talent is great but if you don’t teach them how to play the game, the whole ***** game, then the team is doomed no matter how much talent you have. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the slide goes much longer, then I would shut down Dahlin, Samuelsson, and anyone else important who needs to heal for the rest of the season.

Also, now that we are seeing the results of it, I think it is clear that not rotating in Hinostroza, Asplund, etc. throughout the season for Peterka, Quinn, etc. just to rest the youngsters was a mistake.  They clearly have worn down physically and mentally and their effectiveness has correspondingly decreased.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

If the slide goes much longer, then I would shut down Dahlin, Samuelsson, and anyone else important who needs to heal for the rest of the season.

Also, now that we are seeing the results of it, I think it is clear that not rotating in Hinostroza, Asplund, etc. throughout the season for Peterka, Quinn, etc. just to rest the youngsters was a mistake.  They clearly have worn down physically and mentally and their effectiveness has correspondingly decreased.

The entire team has worn down. Sucks, but that's reality. 

Gotta log off, I think some have lost perspective but vent away. I think that's part of what this board is for. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Peterka was playing well recently, he had a iong rough patch before that. 

The whole team played weak today.  Uninspired and unwilling to engage with Philly, again. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Peterka was playing well recently, he had a iong rough patch before that. 

The whole team played weak today.  Uninspired and unwilling to engage with Philly, again. 

Missed the game - though I wouldn’t say I missed it. What’s the story behind Peterka and Jost not playing? Hurt or idiotic lineup change as I thought they were two of our better forward lately??

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

he whole team played weak today.  Uninspired and unwilling to engage with Philly, again. 

At this stage of the season and the stakes… it’s on the vets, and the coaches… 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Youth is a reality but also an excuse. Talent is great but if you don’t teach them how to play the game, the whole ***** game, then the team is doomed no matter how much talent you have. 

It’s not an excuse. It’s a fact. There is a difference. If they were all 13 would you say it’s an excuse? No one would. If their top 10 payers all went down to season ending injury in January would you say that’s an excuse? No reasonable person would. It’s a reality. They aren’t ready to win. They don’t have the physical or mental maturity or the goaltending. They don’t have 6 all star 30 year olds with Cup experience and Hasek in goal. They are where they are and still have a ton of room for improvement.

But the pressure is on Adams to deliver this off season and improve the team, for sure. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

As pointless as it seems, I liked Girgensons being in front of the net on the PP at the end causing havoc.  IMHO, that is one change that I think we need next year that I don't think gets mentioned.  It would add a wrinkle to the PP to make it less predictable against well-structured defencive teams.  Those teams have caught up to us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Give Philly some credit. That's two games they stuffed us in a locker. We don't match up.

It's the disciplined defencive structure.  It is a clear weakness like the defencive zone coverage.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.