GDT: Sabres at Flyers 3-17-2023 7pm MSG, WGR

spndnchz

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

You honestly don't believe that giving up a bad goal right off the bat didn't contribute to the team playing flat?

And because the team expects him to give them their best chance of winning, do believe that those bad goals did alter the course of the game.  

They know UPL is going to give up a bad one here or there.  They're ready for it.

They're young and for being young they actually do a good job of not getting too low or high as the game flows, but it can set them back when something just goes wrong.

Anderson is on a pitch count.  They're down to 2 goalies (for a couple more days). Please don't waste Anderson in a game UPL should be good enough to take care of business.

I know that the team played poorly in front of him, I watched it.  They should be able to overcome a 1 or 2 goal deficit against to any of those teams.   Especially at home, which is a whole other problem.  

Do you honestly think the team rates the goals given up and then unilaterally gets deflated if the goal against was the fault of Anderson?   But they don’t do that with UPL?  

I don’t really care who plays tonight.  But using Anderson would not bother me at all.  We need 2 points.  UPL is just so inconsistent.   

19 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How soon might this actually happen? 

Ya, and throw in the young looking Brian Campbell, too! 

Nashville is my guess. Then, he'll earn NJD. Not the Isles because it's the following day.

I don't want young Campbell. Remember, he was 26 before he turned the corner into a good defenseman. And even in that breakout season he was only a 4-6 with powerplay time (until the playoffs).

• Thanks (+1) 1

This is kind of like the Washington game but they have even less talent so the PK might survive. They will play simple hockey, plodding along, slowing it down as much as possible, controlling the wall and clogging the middle. If we play their style we lose. If we try to skate up the middle all the time we will have trouble like we did last time we played them. 

Use our speed, shoot it in and forecheck their D and they will crumble. It's Risto remember. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I know that the team played poorly in front of him, I watched it.  They should be able to overcome a 1 or 2 goal deficit against to any of those teams.   Especially at home, which is a whole other problem.  

Do you honestly think the team rates the goals given up and then unilaterally gets deflated if the goal against was the fault of Anderson?   But they don’t do that with UPL?  

I don’t really care who plays tonight.  But using Anderson would not bother me at all.  We need 2 points.  UPL is just so inconsistent.   

Do they consciously get deflated when Anderson gives up a goal 1 minute into a game they should win, no.  Subconsciously, it sure does seem to effect them more than when UPL gives up a bad goal.

Really doubt we see Anderson play btb games (even w/ 1 day inbetween) and doubt that they want to put Levi in against Boston for his 1st start (but maybe they will).  Given those caveats, definitely want UPL between the pipes tonight.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is kind of like the Washington game but they have even less talent so the PK might survive. They will play simple hockey, plodding along, slowing it down as much as possible, controlling the wall and clogging the middle. If we play their style we lose. If we try to skate up the middle all the time we will have trouble like we did last time we played them. 

Use our speed, shoot it in and forecheck their D and they will crumble. It's Risto remember. 

It’s the forecheck part that we didn’t do last time.  After we dump it in we have to actually hit them and take the puck away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree on all of that. I looked at Philly, the entire D-unit (especially Risto), how they play, and figure if the Sabres played them in a 7 game series, Buffalo should sweep that team. Then in January, Philly beat a pretty healthy (at the time) Buffalo 4-0, putting almost 40 shots on Anderson I think.  I blocked out most of that game form my memory, but what I do recall is Jost was probably the best player on the ice for the team.

Edited by mjd1001

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.