Disturbing video of Danny Briere's son

sabrefanday1

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The fact that this video has reached us on a hockey forum, as well as my twitter feed which has nothing to do with sports or current events or anything outside of the random thoughts of my ~30 closest friends/family members, is almost certainly because he's the son of someone in the public eye. It's entirely unremarkable as far as videos of people doing ***** things on the internet goes. 

For example, in the past 24 hours, without searching for them, I happened to come across videos of:

a.) a random bystander in public being body-slammed and robbed, which paralyzed her for life
b.) a random bystander being shot in the head in broad daylight on a public street by a person who did not know him or have any particular reason to do so

The behavior in these videos, which did reach the internet, is far worse than what Briere's kid did, but these videos are orders of magnitude less-viewed/discussed. But those people aren't an NHL GM's child so it doesn't catch on quite the same way in "public discussion." 

Sorry swamp, i'm not trying to be a downer, I understand anecdotes and sample sizes and I know the world is largely a beautiful place, just trying to defend the people surprised at the traction this story got for the relative non-story it is. Affluent DB kid at prime DB age acts like a DB, more at 11 

I don’t ever see the videos that you are talking about. I know other people who do and they tell me about them and it bugs the ***** out of me. I know they are out there, but do I want to see that?!

I don’t go to any news sites. I don’t have a homepage the curates stories or videos for me. No Twitter. No Facebook. I won’t let some emotionless aspergery programmer in Silicon Valley who doesn’t have any feelings toward others determine how I feel toward others.

The algorithm knows what you watch. Stop watching and you’ll stop getting them. All I can control is what I am directly faced with.

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Great, so now we’re smart shaming.

…. and we wonder why the country is the way it is.

Your ubiquitousness is exceeded only by your obsequiousness.

Also using words few people know is not smart communication.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Your ubiquitousness is exceeded only by your obsequiousness.

Also, using words few people know is not smart communication.

FTFY.

Also, not using correct punctuation is not smart communication.

Don’t we have enough of that around here? I expect better from you, PA.

17 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah i would have beaten his ass but you cant touch anyone without thanking its child abuse these days .

A good belt to the ass and it never happens again 

Your timing is impeccable.

Just skimmed the thread and saw no mention of the accessibility point I made. It's not to my credit it took so long for me to make it, but I wasn't among those who virtue-signaled or character-shamed (especially the father!). The woman posing with the owner of the establishment further demonstrates what the reaction to this story was all about.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Just skimmed the thread and saw no mention of the accessibility point I made. It's not to my credit it took so long for me to make it, but I wasn't among those who virtue-signaled or character-shamed (especially the father!). The woman posing with the owner of the establishment further demonstrates what the reaction to this story was all about.

Places of public accommodation built before 1990 (I think) are exempted from the ADA for the most part.  The man posing with the owner of the wheelchair was the head of security and not the owner, from what I understand.

Accessibility remains a major issue with older buildings.  I've helped wheelchair-bound people up and down stairs before and I'll bet you have too.  It stinks but retrofitting a building is expensive, and I'm not sure a chair lift would work here, where the staircase turns a corner.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don’t ever see the videos that you are talking about. I know other people who do and they tell me about them and it bugs the ***** out of me. I know they are out there, but do I want to see that?!

I don’t go to any news sites. I don’t have a homepage the curates stories or videos for me. No Twitter. No Facebook. I won’t let some emotionless aspergery programmer in Silicon Valley who doesn’t have any feelings toward others determine how I feel toward others.

The algorithm knows what you watch. Stop watching and you’ll stop getting them. All I can control is what I am directly faced with.

I'm not really relating to "feeling towards others" - I understand that regardless of any group level dynamics or insane outliers, the vast majority of people you ever come across will be kind and reasonable people, and do not assume otherwise until they give me a reason

I have a pretty good grasp on reality I figure, and generally my emotional state doesn't fluctuate very much in either direction regardless of what I see

*****, you might have nailed me here though :| 

Edited by Randall Flagg

On 3/15/2023 at 3:26 PM, Zamboni said:

I know a few people who are terrific people and good parents, and yet their kids turned out like shiiiii …

and I know a few people who are really good people, and their parents are complete trash and terrible.

and I’m sure I’m not the only one that has had those experiences.

I don't doubt that. Exceptions sometimes hint at the rule.

Generally speaking, your children are a reflection of what you did (or did not do) to raise them. "Be a credit!" my grandmother used to demand of us.

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

3. It doesn't reflect on Briere's parenting skills anyway.  IIRC, the son is from a broken marriage with a MOTHER, not father, to blame.

Hmm. I'd presumed that Danny helped raise the kid. I guess if he didn't help raise the kid then ... oof. Never mind.

This isn't a particularly fruitful topic of discussion, as this thread's progress seems to reveal.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah i would have beaten his ass but you cant touch anyone without thanking its child abuse these days .

I don’t know about you, but in my experiences among my immediate family, belts happened alot more than once so it definitely happens again.

Stealth is learned more than anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

He is 23.  It’s definitely not child abuse.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Places of public accommodation built before 1990 (I think) are exempted from the ADA for the most part.  The man posing with the owner of the wheelchair was the head of security and not the owner, from what I understand.

Accessibility remains a major issue with older buildings.  I've helped wheelchair-bound people up and down stairs before and I'll bet you have too.  It stinks but retrofitting a building is expensive, and I'm not sure a chair lift would work here, where the staircase turns a corner.

Thanks.  Earlier it was Nordberg at the end of Naked Gun.  Now all I can picture is the old lady in Gremlins.

• Haha (+1) 1