GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Washington Capitals 3/15/23 7 pm tv and radio

bob_sauve28

7 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

But isn’t the goalie required to help the team, at least a little bit?  

Sure. And UPL is not even average so far.  He is easy to blame.  Look deeper.  The PK is last in the league.  You just knew they would fail to clear, lose face offs, and allow another goal.  

46 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Tuch is probably our best player overall. Bad play but he is probably frustrated Sabres didn't hold a two goal lead. Should have been able too.

Middlestat still won't shoot

Krebs terrible today

Cozens too many mistakes too, contract was premature, hasn't been that good since signing.

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

15 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Flip the jersey colors. You'd be livid at the refs if Stillman (in place of Irwin) took a roughing penalty for that push and grapple. The refs let players grapple and jaw all the time, and moreso in the final 2 minutes.

Now, maybe Tuch could've tried to skate and drive back toward the net and drawn an interference call. But he didn't. Tuch did the one thing you cannot do -- a punch at the head while you're on the powerplay.

You've been watching hockey and playoff hockey for years. You've seen the refs be happy to remove a powerplay, especially one that's ill-gained. It has nothing to do with their training, it's how referees and humans are. That lost powerplay (not the loss of the game) was all on Tuch.

Plus they just gave penalty to a Star right before that probably shouldn't have happened. Tuch has a temper, made a bad play.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

Sure. And UPL is not even average so far.  He is easy to blame.  Look deeper.  The PK is last in the league.  You just knew they would fail to clear, lose face offs, and allow another goal.  

Yes problems are deeper than who is in net.

However....I have a hard time believing UPL becomes an NHL competent goalkeeper without an exorcism

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Maybe if the Sabres are the home team and have been in the playoffs year after year while playing against... Columbus? Then maybe.

But the headshot while you're on a powerplay absolutely gets called.

Even against Boston?

Edited by SwampD

16 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Yeah, I’ve been one of the ones preaching patience with UPL, but tonight was kind of a tipping point for me. He was making some terrific saves, but his rebound control in brutal. He was serving up juicy ones all night, fortunately, we had guys in front of the net to clear them out of they flew untouched over to the boards most of the night. He ain’t always gonna be that lucky. I also really noticed that his lateral speed just isn’t enough, especially to make up for how out of position he gets when he gets aggressive…which he likes to do. The lack of lateral speed was painfully evident in the shootout. That shot by Kusznetsov would be stopped by most capable NHL goalies.

He reminds me a lot of Mikko Koskinen late of the Oilers. Big old Finnish dude who is capable of moments/games of absolute brilliance, but just didn’t have the skill/instincts to put it together in any sustained fashion. Koskinen also toiled with mediocre-to-bad defenses in front of him the whole time, which doesn’t help, obviously.

I really hope Devon Levi is a fast tracker and the real deal like he appears to be. Adams is clearly all in on him.

Let me start by saying I agree with all of this.

I think part of the problem is that UPL should still be considered a “prospect” in that he has moments. But he’s incomplete at the moment. 24 years old for a goalie is pretty young. But the problem is there was a stretch where he was our way goalie. Now he is G1 because the nursing home won’t let Anderson come out to play more than once a month. 

From a UPL centric standpoint he’s likely a decent guy to have on the bench behind a goalie who is playing 60 games per year. Or could use some time in the AHL and slow some things down for the 24 year old.

But I think that has sailed for him in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Yes problems are deeper than who is in net.

However....I have a hard time believing UPL becomes an NHL competent goalkeeper without an exorcism

Nothing I have said argues that UPL is good, or bad, or in between.  The last goal was not on UPL. The PK failed to protect the lead, failed to win a draw, failed to clear the puck.   The were 0-2 in regulation.   They give up a PK goal every game.   

DG and his staff should be up all night looking at the last 50 PKs.  They have to fix it.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Nothing I have said argues that UPL is good, or bad,in between.  The last goal was not on UPL. The PK failed to protect the lead, failed to win a draw, failed to clear the puck.   The were 0-2 in regulation.   They give up a PK goal every game.   

You just said he is below average, I took that as you meant  "he's not so good"

4 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

You just said he is below average, I took that as you meant  "he's not so good"

Look at his stats.  GAA and Sv % indicate below average.   He has played enough to believe the numbers.  He had yet to make a shoot out save. Hence, he is below average.  

I am really not here to discuss UPLs development progress.  Do you think he should have saved the 4th goal?   Are you happy with the worst rated PK in the league?  

1 hour ago, TRIP65 said:

Tuch is probably our best player overall. Bad play but he is probably frustrated Sabres didn't hold a two goal lead. Should have been able too.

Middlestat still won't shoot

Krebs terrible today

Cozens too many mistakes too, contract was premature, hasn't been that good since signing.

Cozens’ contract is based on the upside he’s shown since Jan 2021 and what he has done overall the last two years. He signed that contract a month and a half ago with nine goals since signing. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think part of the problem is that UPL should still be considered a “prospect” in that he has moments. But he’s incomplete at the moment. 24 years old for a goalie is pretty young. But the problem is there was a stretch where he was our way goalie. Now he is G1 because the nursing home won’t let Anderson come out to play more than once a month. 

From a UPL centric standpoint he’s likely a decent guy to have on the bench behind a goalie who is playing 60 games per year. Or could use some time in the AHL and slow some things down for the 24 year old.

Yeah, that’s kind of how I now see him…a guy that might be okay behind a workhorse. And I’m sure there are those that will still say he’s still young and a prospect, hell I was one of them, but no amount of reps or coaching is going to improve his quickness. He lumbers in the net, and for a guy who likes to play as aggressively as he does, that’s the kiss of death. It’s most obvious in the shootouts where he has been flat out embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Look at his stats.  GAA and Sv % indicate below average.   He has played enough to believe the numbers.  He had yet to make a shoot out save. Hence, he is below average.  

I am really not here to discuss UPLs development progress.  Do you think he should have saved the 4th goal?   Are you happy with the worst rated PK in the league?  

Out of 64 goalies that have played at least 65 min shorthanded, Comrie ranks 63rd (.791) and UPL 56th (.832) in short-handed save percentage. 

Aderson?  He ranks 14th (.888).     UPL and Comrie are that bad.

Sometimes your goalie needs to be your best penalty killer.

That said, the Sabress give up the 7th most high danger chances on the penalty kill.... so yeah, do better Granato.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Yeah, that’s kind of how I now see him…a guy that might be okay behind a workhorse. And I’m sure there are those that will still say he’s still young and a prospect, hell I was one of them, but no amount of reps or coaching is going to improve his quickness. He lumbers in the net, and for a guy who likes to play as aggressively as he does, that’s the kiss of death. It’s most obvious in the shootouts where he has been flat out embarrassing.

For such an aggressive guy, it’s weird he didn’t even attempt to poke check a guy moving at toddler speed.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Out of 64 goalies that have played at least 65 min shorthanded, Comrie ranks 63rd (.791) and UPL 56th (.832) in short-handed save percentage. 

Aderson?  He ranks 14th (.888).     UPL and Comrie are that bad.

Sometimes your goalie needs to be your best penalty killer.

That said, the Sabress give up the 7th most high danger chances on the penalty kill.... so yeah, do better Granato.  

Been this way for a long long time. We aren't getting any better at defending the front of the net area or the slot or any of the dangerous areas that most goals are scored from. 

management blew this season. Yes, I know, there's a "plan"

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

If it was up to Adams, he would give UPL all of next year as two and get a #1. Levi won't sign unless given a shot as Backup, nor should he. Buffalo has TOO many prospects, gonna add a bunch this summer. Where they all gonna go? Sabres just gonna cut Comrie? Can't trade him, done nothing really and his last game was 10-4 loss kept in by his COACH. Who does that to someone they respect? I can see end of year presser, Adams balling his eyes out he needs more time.

Now Pegula, he will see fans not coming to Sabres home game wins under 50%. He will care less about the Prospects feeling and especially those who had a year to prove themselves on NHL Club.

He will demand certain replacements, Goalie, depth on defense, Wingers for 2nd and 3rd lines

Pegula will demand Playoffs or BUST!

UPL has a 1 way contract coming. Has to stay in Buffalo. Time to trade him for anything.

Need a #1 Goalie by trade that has 1-2 years contract left, have Levi backup. Ask Comrie for an extension and two way contract, he should have NO complaints the way he played going to Rochester.

36 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Cozens’ contract is based on the upside he’s shown since Jan 2021 and what he has done overall the last two years. He signed that contract a month and a half ago with nine goals since signing. 

I am NOT disagreeing with how he got contract or that he won't full fill it. But would you say he has lived up to contract in a race to get to playoffs with the last 10 games. Actually, few have on the team but Cozens is the #2 Center.

It is NOT fair, very young, but to a Sabres fan, seen this before with Eichel and O'Reilly, shipped off. Cozens has been very bad last 10 games and yes he has scored goals. But his plus/minus is 2, way behind our other 5 Star players. Three close loses last 5 games that we could have won and I remember Cozens face on bad plays. Goal production of the line doesn't match defensive liabilities, not all of Cozens fault.

Actually blame Adams for this, Quinn should stay but a Veteran Winger is needed like Tuch for Cozens, not Greenway.

A shame the Sabres didn't trade for something better than Stillman and Greenway. They would be fine if Sabres didn't have 5-6 guys that didn't score that often. When top line shuts down their isn't enough production.

38 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

If it was up to Adams, he would give UPL all of next year as two and get a #1. Levi won't sign unless given a shot as Backup, nor should he. Buffalo has TOO many prospects, gonna add a bunch this summer. Where they all gonna go? Sabres just gonna cut Comrie? Can't trade him, done nothing really and his last game was 10-4 loss kept in by his COACH. Who does that to someone they respect? I can see end of year presser, Adams balling his eyes out he needs more time.

Now Pegula, he will see fans not coming to Sabres home game wins under 50%. He will care less about the Prospects feeling and especially those who had a year to prove themselves on NHL Club.

He will demand certain replacements, Goalie, depth on defense, Wingers for 2nd and 3rd lines

Pegula will demand Playoffs or BUST!

UPL has a 1 way contract coming. Has to stay in Buffalo. Time to trade him for anything.

Need a #1 Goalie by trade that has 1-2 years contract left, have Levi backup. Ask Comrie for an extension and two way contract, he should have NO complaints the way he played going to Rochester.

You say that as if it's a fact.

How do you know this is true? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

I am NOT disagreeing with how he got contract or that he won't full fill it. But would you say he has lived up to contract in a race to get to playoffs with the last 10 games. Actually, few have on the team but Cozens is the #2 Center.

It is NOT fair, very young, but to a Sabres fan, seen this before with Eichel and O'Reilly, shipped off. Cozens has been very bad last 10 games and yes he has scored goals. But his plus/minus is 2, way behind our other 5 Star players. Three close loses last 5 games that we could have won and I remember Cozens face on bad plays. Goal production of the line doesn't match defensive liabilities, not all of Cozens fault.

Actually blame Adams for this, Quinn should stay but a Veteran Winger is needed like Tuch for Cozens, not Greenway.

A shame the Sabres didn't trade for something better than Stillman and Greenway. They would be fine if Sabres didn't have 5-6 guys that didn't score that often. When top line shuts down their isn't enough production.

He’s 22 years old with two years of NHL experience but poised to score 30 goals this year. He also brings a needed physical aspect. He sat out in the cold to support his team during the final moments of an outdoor game. His production, talent upside and character make him worthy of his contract IMO.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.