Let's Make a Deal (Suggestions for K.A. for 2023)

PerreaultForever

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Related, but separate thought to my previous post, another thing I hadn't really considered:

If Carter Hart can put up a .914 season as a 21-year-old 1st-time NHL starter in Philly, and Thatcher Demko can put up .915 as a 25-year-old 1st-time NHL starter in Vancouver, is it unreasonable to think Devon Levi or UPL can't do something similar next year in Buffalo?

Personally, expect there is a realistic, but small, chance that Levi takes the crease some time this coming season.  He just has that "it" factor.

And UPL could legitmately be starter quality next year or he could be exactly what he is today.  He has the raw tools.  He has the size & reflexes to be able to be very successful.  Not thrilled with his movement on normal plays, but once he's in desperation mode his movement is excellent (at times).  His glove at times is very good, though it often leaves more to be desired.  Honestly believe most of his issues are between his ears.  When he plays with confidence, he can be very good.  When he doesn't, he's barely an AHLer.  Won't dare project what he could be / will be because the gap between the floor and the ceiling are so great.

^
For me, Adams can reasonably be assigned some portion of blame for the goalie output we’ve seen the last two seasons not because he’s failed to supply good goaltending, but rather because he has supplied below average goaltending.

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

How many NHL goalies can anyone safely predict will be flat out good next year?

(I guess that's why GMs don't invest huge assets in trading for them)

Ottomh, Saros, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Ullmark, Hellebucyk are guys that you could put money on.  There's probably more out west that should be in that category as well, but don't watch them as much.

Wouldn't have Vasilevskiy nor Bobrovski  there just because eventually they have to start sliding.  Considered adding Knight to the list, but just didn't want to put him there.

One other thing that hasn't been discussed here is should the Sabres trade for a starter, if UPL or Levi take off and really come into their own, there is most likely nothing preventing the Sabres from recouping most of the assets they gave up for that goalie as they are far from the only team looking for a legit starting goalie. Either at this deadline or at the next draft.

Its not like bringing somebody in is simply throwing away futures for the present.  Rather it's insurance for the future and improves the present.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One other thing that hasn't been discussed here is should the Sabres trade for a starter, if UPL or Levi take off and really come into their own, there is most likely nothing preventing the Sabres from recouping most of the assets they gave up for that goalie as they are far from the only team looking for a legit starting goalie. Either at this deadline or at the next draft.

Its not like bringing somebody in is simply throwing away futures for the present.  Rather it's insurance for the future and improves the present.

The conundrum is do you become proactive this offseason and try to bring in one of the top tier goalies that you listed? Or do you wait another year to see what level of goalie UPL falls into? If I had an opportunity to get a goalie such as Saros for a first round pick plus a prospect such as Rosen (not Savoie), I would make the deal. I just think that such a deal would have a significant impact on the team. There are no guarantees but of a goalie such as Saros or Ullmark was on our current roster the Sabres would be playing post season games. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The conundrum is do you become proactive this offseason and try to bring in one of the top tier goalies that you listed? Or do you wait another year to see what level of goalie UPL falls into? If I had an opportunity to get a goalie such as Saros for a first round pick plus a prospect such as Rosen (not Savoie), I would make the deal. I just think that such a deal would have a significant impact on the team. There are no guarantees but of a goalie such as Saros or Ullmark was on our current roster the Sabres would be playing post season games. 

Don't see it as a conundrum.  They need to be proactive.  And, as others have said, it's not like Adams hasn't tried to be proactive.  He simply hasn't been good at it.  

They're at a spot where the fans are ready to come back.  Making next year another development year, which it will be without goaltending, could put a kibosh on that.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't see it as a conundrum.  They need to be proactive.  And, as others have said, it's not like Adams hasn't tried to be proactive.  He simply hasn't been good at it.  

They're at a spot where the fans are ready to come back.  Making next year another development year, which it will be without goaltending, could put a kibosh on that.

Can you imagine what Devon Levi coming in now and leading the team on a run into the playoffs would do for the business side of the operations?

The kid has a natural magnetism regardless, but allowing it to resonate under those circumstances…

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can you imagine what Devon Levi coming in now and leading the team on a run into the playoffs would do for the business side of the operations?

The kid has a natural magnetism regardless, but allowing it to resonate under those circumstances…

The answer to your entire question would certainly be that it would significantly boost it.

But as to the bolded portion of it.  Have been imagining it since at least December.  That's the short term dream scenario.

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm excited with the probability that Levin will soon be joining the organization. His acquisition could turn out to be the GM's most significant transaction. But the next issue becomes should the GM make a move to get an upper tier goalie such as Saros to buy time for his development and also hedge one's bet on the position? I've felt after hearing the GM talk on a number of occasions about the "process" that he is going to go with what he has inside the system and let it unfold. Would that be a mistake? I'm not sure? 

After seeing how this youth laden team has progressed, and in my estimation is on the precipice of making a leap up the ranks, would it be wise to utilize some assets to get a goalie next year, such as Saros, to accelerate the process to being a consequential team next year? I would say yes. If I had to make a bet, I would say the GM would firmly say: Stay the course. It's a tough call. 

We 100% need a goaltender, who that is I'm still torn on. I'd prefer Demko because I think when he's healthy he's by far the best of those 3 but he can't stay healthy and that's a huge concern. Saros is solid but he is my least favorite out of the 3 mentioned, he had some unreal defense in front of him for quite a bit before all of them were traded. Carter hart to me has untapped potential as he's very young and might fit the dynamic/youth here perfectly and thrive, he hasn't reached his ceiling yet either but I'll leave it to those in the know and hope GM Adams knows a thing or 2 about goalies.

4 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

So when we're finally on the right path after over a decade, and ongoing success is right around the corner, you'd derail us. And start the pattern all over again.

I'm completely in agreement with how GMKA is managing the team, and it's not by taking short-cuts.

How would what I am suggesting "derail us"?

It's not a "short cut" if you see weak spots on your team and you fix them. Maybe Levi's the future. maybe he's too small for the NHL to be great. Who knows. You want to wait 3-4 more years moaning about how if we only had better goaltending we'd be in the playoffs or do you want to fix it now and be in the playoffs?

We have a core of young players on the roster. What's wrong with moving some futures for a here and now or two?

Do you really want to keep waiting for "next year"?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

And I don't think Hart is a good enough upgrade. I provided an alternative and why he might be on time market this summer but that wasn't good enough for your thread. 

I'm not worried about this being "my thread". I welcome people to suggest more possible trades or options to win next season. Not silly one sided deals that'll never happen but real hockey trades.

I'd have no problem with trading for Saros. It would be good. As I understand it however Nashville has said everybody is available EXCEPT Saros, Forsberg and Josi. 

Philly, on the other hand, seems to be willing to discuss trading Hart. So that's something that's actually possible. My guess is Briere wants to fix the cap situation and Hart is going to want a lot more money soon so trading him now might make sense to them for a long term plan IF they believe in Ersson, which appears to be a possibility. 

Hart is better than you think he is. Philly D is the problem. Keep that in mind. 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Saros was enough on the market that the Kings asked and, according to some Nashville fans, the Predators made a counter-proposal.  Talks apparently ended there.

However, assuming you are correct, I don't see the need to expend three prime assets to get Carter Hart or someone similar.  I will go 1 prime asset and a decent one, but no further.  Alternatively, there should be a hockey trade there which is mutually beneficial.

And I would pay more for Demko.

Demko idk. Streaky and inconsistent. Not sure I'd trust in him. 

but if you don't trade for Hart do you trade for another goalie and if so what's that trade look like? 

Do you really want to go Comrie and UPL in 23/24? I don't. 

Good discussion. Outside about 5 goalies it is way too hard to determine how good a goalie will be year to year. Everyone thought Calgary hit a homer in signing Markstrom. He has fallen on his face.  Gustavsson in Minny has years of mediocre play. This season he is near the top in a lot of categories. Leafs are gambling on two reclamation projects to take them to the promise land.

If one of those top goalies becomes available then try to go all in on him. There are too many middling goalies that you don’t know what you are going to get from year to year.

Hart is having a better year after a few tirefire years. Do you believe he will be better playing behind the Sabres system. Big gamble. If a stabilizer like Saros is available then go for him. If Demko is available then you are betting he returns to pre injury form. I would role the dice on him.

if you are going to get a goalie go for the best you can. Get a stabilizer in net.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Ryan McDonagh as a 4-5 Dman from Nashville. I have not seen him play this year so I don’t know if he is still at that level.

Not a spring chicken and not cheap but he has won Cups, been an NHL captain and is a warrior. If Nashville is rebuilding they may move him and he may want to go to Buffalo.

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

What if the Sabres threw an offer sheet at Swayman? The cupboard is stocked to make a move like this.  The cost is the cost. Boston would have a hard time committing something like 3.5M to their backup goalie position.  

G1 Swayman and G2 UPL for the next 82. Comrie can clean and dry their equipment.   
G1 Swayman and G2 Levi for the 82 after that. UPL can be moved before the season to recoup some of the spent assets on Swayman. 

Best in the crease after that.  

I think a top five goal scoring team with two cornerstone D  for the next decade would be pretty attractive to a goalie. 

My question is…how good is Swayman if he’s on a team not named the Bruins? If he was currently playing for a team like the Sabres that do not know how to play team defense and give up lots of odd man rushes, breakaways, and 2 on 0’s? I honestly haven’t seen enough of him to have an opinion.

When some people here had pitchforks out for Ullmark, I pointed out that he was a good G on a bad team, and would look excellent on a team like Boston. Prophecy fulfilled. 

I feel similarly about UPL. I think he’s a good G who will look a LOT better if/when the Sabres learn to play team defense, or when he ends up with a different team that does. I know there’s some detractors on here when it comes to UPL, but I feel he is better than you think.

It seems like there are people on here who can’t see the forest for the trees. Expecting a Comrie or Hart or Demko or insert-any-name to walk onto this roster and play like Hasek is unreasonable, until the team learns to consistently play team defense. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not worried about this being "my thread". I welcome people to suggest more possible trades or options to win next season. Not silly one sided deals that'll never happen but real hockey trades.

I'd have no problem with trading for Saros. It would be good. As I understand it however Nashville has said everybody is available EXCEPT Saros, Forsberg and Josi. 

Philly, on the other hand, seems to be willing to discuss trading Hart. So that's something that's actually possible. My guess is Briere wants to fix the cap situation and Hart is going to want a lot more money soon so trading him now might make sense to them for a long term plan IF they believe in Ersson, which appears to be a possibility. 

Hart is better than you think he is. Philly D is the problem. Keep that in mind. 

Poile is retiring and if we're going to overpay, Saros is a far better idea than Hart.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

My question is…how good is Swayman if he’s on a team not named the Bruins? If he was currently playing for a team like the Sabres that do not know how to play team defense and give up lots of odd man rushes, breakaways, and 2 on 0’s? I honestly haven’t seen enough of him to have an opinion.

When some people here had pitchforks out for Ullmark, I pointed out that he was a good G on a bad team, and would look excellent on a team like Boston. Prophecy fulfilled. 

I feel similarly about UPL. I think he’s a good G who will look a LOT better if/when the Sabres learn to play team defense, or when he ends up with a different team that does. I know there’s some detractors on here when it comes to UPL, but I feel he is better than you think.

It seems like there are people on here who can’t see the forest for the trees. Expecting a Comrie or Hart or Demko or insert-any-name to walk onto this roster and play like Hasek is unreasonable, until the team learns to consistently play team defense. 

Short answer is he’s Devon Levi, but ready for #1 duty today.  Richter award winner/outstanding in college.

Seasoned two years in the NHL with great numbers on a great team   

I am sure he wants to be #1 and Ullmark is in the way. He’s 1B at best and Boston will need to rebuild in his prime.

Being on the B’s helps his numbers the last two years, but my original reasons why this is an attractive spot stand.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.