Let's Make a Deal (Suggestions for K.A. for 2023)

PerreaultForever

We are close. Very close. I don't want to keep waiting for the next one though. Not Levi. Not Rosen. Not Kulich or any of the other prospects. I want to win now and I think the opportunities are there if KA has the stones to make it happen. 

What trades would you make to turn us into a contender in 2023/24? 

My first suggestion is: 

Carter Hart. Whatever it takes in terms of prospects and picks. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

We are close. Very close. I don't want to keep waiting for the next one though. Not Levi. Not Rosen. Not Kulich or any of the other prospects. I want to win now and I think the opportunities are there if KA has the stones to make it happen. 

My first suggestion is: 

Carter Hart. Whatever it takes in terms of prospects and picks. 

No, he is far from worth the price he'd require

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

My first suggestion is: 

Carter Hart. Whatever it takes in terms of prospects and picks

What would be your offer? Then it would be easier to comment on your proposal. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What would be your offer? Then it would be easier to comment on your proposal. 

Something similar to the  Chychrun  deal.    Rosen, a first, give them back their 2nd. Two firsts and a second. Something like that. 

Nothing from the roster so we'd simply get better. 

I could probably be talked into even more. I've seen Hart play a few times and he can be really good. He's right at that point where he's coming into his prime too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Something similar to the  Chychrun  deal.    Rosen, a first, give them back their 2nd. Two firsts and a second. Something like that. 

I could probably be talked into even more. I've seen Hart play a few times and he can be really good. He's right at that point where he's coming into his prime too. 

Giving up 2 firsts and a 2nd would make him the most expensive goalie ever acquired this century -and by the degree of a 1st round pick at minimum.

More than Ryan Miller, more than Roberto Luongo, more than anyone.

Not a bad return for a guy with a career .905 save percentage.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We are both sitting in the same ballpark. 

The supposition being that a trade can only be a good one if it’s in line with the market? 

The entire point is that it’s no good for Adams to remain a slave to the market if the market never produces a viable opportunity. It leaves us in the same place. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No. 

No but in bold

Just now, Thorny said:

The supposition being that a trade can only be a good one if it’s in line with the market? 

My supposition is you can only trade that asset once so you better make sure you trade it for the correct thing and Carter Hart is not it. 

I don't know the market. I'd say Rosen and a second or something like that for a solid starting G. After that, it's just D, and I'm not sure that's anything other than a 2nd or later pick or UFA. The Sabres 3 of a top-4 locked (Muel, Dahlin, Power) so it doesn't need to be someone incredible. Like Muel2. Otherwise we wno't be able to pay everyone a couple years down the road.

Saros would be the goalie I would try and target. If Nashville is rebuilding, they can get some assets for him as they won't be ready to contend again with him on this current deal. They also have Askarov in the pipe so it depends on where they see themselves the next 2 years and what they want. Rosen, a 2nd, and something else would be fine. We already gave them Asplund so maybe that helps. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The entire point is that it’s no good for Adams to remain a slave to the market if the market never produces a viable opportunity. It leaves us in the same place. 

Ie I’d rather overpay for a good goalie than not get a goalie at all, but retain my “ahh, I’ve never been on the wrong end of a value swap in a vacuum, sweet” mindset. By all means don’t trade a first for Hart. But the result can’t be “so we kept Comrie” 

“losing” a deal in a vacuum is better

WAY BETTER

it’s ullmark all over again. Adams obviously thought he was a good goalie, he tried to sign him. If Adams thinks Hart is good enough to be the starter, he should trust his evaluation and pay the price 

We can turn down any deal based on talent evaluation. If the talent evaluation checks all the dots and we don’t make the deal, nor another similar, due to the trade not fitting our trade value parameters to a T, it’s a horrible decision 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ie I’d rather overpay for a good goalie than not get a goalie at all, but retain my “ahh, I’ve never been on the wrong end of a value swap in a vacuum, sweet” mindset. By all means don’t trade a first for Hart. But the result can’t be “so we kept Comrie” 

“losing” a deal in a vacuum is better

WAY BETTER

It isn't the assets, it is are you using them to trade for the a serious upgrade? Hart to me looks like an upgrade but not a really great one. If I am going to spend Rosen, a 2nd and something else, I need something more than Hart. It isn't about winning the trade per say but that Hart just isn't enough of an upgrade. 

For example if Nashville calls and says, we want Rosen, 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, and *insert rochester guy like Weisbach here* I am pulling that trigger. I think it is an overpayment but idc. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Flat out rarely watch Phlyers games.  It seems from just looking at stats that he's gotten over whatever mental / game related issues he was having.  If he has, wouldn't hate getting Hart, but would much rather have Saros.  Not just because he's better (IMHO and many others opinions) but because he is basically what we're hoping Levi would become.  What a great goalie to have in system so the team could be ready for Levi to step right in and not have any adjustments to how they play in front of him because they both play the same way.

And UPL would be the backup to both if things work out the way we hope.

Gave a thumbs up to your proposed deal because if it's next year's 1st (wasn't specified in your post) don't see that as a horrible overpay given how important that piece is to taking the Sabres to the next level.  And if @dudacek is right and the Sabres could land a goalie for only 2 of the pieces you mention, then awesome.  But this piece is too important to not be willing to make a small overpay to make sure Adams FINALLY gets the guy he identifies as THE guy.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't the assets, it is are you using them to trade for the a serious upgrade? Hart to me looks like an upgrade but not a really great one. If I am going to spend Rosen, a 2nd and something else, I need something more than Hart. It isn't about winning the trade per say but that Hart just isn't enough of an upgrade. 

For example if Nashville calls and says, we want Rosen, 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, and *insert rochester guy like Weisbach here* I am pulling that trigger. I think it is an overpayment but idc. 

I know, that’s why I said “by all means don’t trade the 1st for Hart but the answer can’t be Comrie”. 

Im just saying that the 1st for Hart is better than doing nothing 

*under the prism of KA presumably evaluating Hart to be a viable starting G”

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Filly is a black hole when it comes to goaltending.  Since Lindbergh literally hit a wall, the only "good" goalie that played "good" for them was Hextall.  That was 30 years ago.  They've had guys like Bobrovsky look like Comrie in Halloween outfits but then play very well elsewhere.

As said in a different post, if they're comfortable that the issues he had when he was in ~ his 3rd season are behind him, would be ok with a bit of an overpay for him. Banking on the Filly factor negatively affecting him.   But Saros absolutely has to be the prize.

Thorny and duda/LGR are both right - the suggested price is too high for my gm to pay, but only because my gm should be able to make a deal for those goalies, supposing their availability is correct, for less than those offers. But he should be willing to overpay a bit to ensure that his net is properly filled. That offer in particular is more than it will take to get Hart by a decent amount. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. 

No but in bold

My supposition is you can only trade that asset once so you better make sure you trade it for the correct thing and Carter Hart is not it. 

Suggest an alternative maybe instead of just being negative. 

I created this thread for people to put up concrete ideas of how we could become a winner sooner than later. Suggest some deal(s) of your own for making that happen. 

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I would not expend a first for Carter Hart.  I would absolutely expend a first for Soros.

But Hart is on the market, Saros is not. 

• dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.