1980's All Star NHL Team vs. Today's All Star College Team ---Who would win?

bob_sauve28

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's why it's an impossible question.  Are we age-reducing Mike Bossy but making him play on old skates and with a wooden stick against today's college kids?   Is that how conducting this comparison?  How does that make any sense?  

A waaaaaaay more interesting hypothetical would be at what age did today's current stars become better hockey players than those reading this question?

Obviously, any NHLer is better than those that aren't playing professionally.  But at what age did Krebs surpass Pi?  How old was Dahlin when he'd be better than Thorny or Quinn better than Liger.  When did Tuch pass yours truly?

Probably not at 6 years of age, but most likely by 12.  Maybe 11? 8?

McDavid is arguably the best player in the world today.  But for those of us born more than a year or 2 before 1997 there was a point in time that we were better players than him.  How old was he when he could put us to shame?  7? 10?

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about this? Would the 2023 NCAA Frozen Four Champion beat the 2023 Columbus Blue Jackets or Sharks or Blackhawks? 

No chance. 

That said, the top college team could compete in AHL and probably win some games, but there's a massive jump from the AHL to NHL.    Much larger than most think.  

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

No chance. 

That said, the top college team could compete in AHL and probably win some games, but there's a massive jump from the AHL to NHL.    Much larger than most think.  

I agree.  Similar age group between college and the AHL except for the few vets in the A.  How many college kids step directly into the NHL each year? 1 or 2 maybe?

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about this? Would the 2023 NCAA Frozen Four Champion beat the 2023 Columbus Blue Jackets or Sharks or Blackhawks? 

Not even close.  The worst NHL team is night and day better at hockey than the best collegiate team.  They're better than the best CHL squad too and it isn't close there either.

Just now, Taro T said:

Not even close.  The worst NHL team is night and day better at hockey than the best collegiate team.  They're better than the best CHL squad too and it isn't close there either.

There is something I'd like to see. The NCAA Champs play the Memorial Cup Winner in a 5 game series.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

A waaaaaaay more interesting hypothetical would be at what age did today's current stars become better hockey players than those reading this question?

Obviously, any NHLer is better than those that aren't playing professionally.  But at what age did Krebs surpass Pi?  How old was Dahlin when he'd be better than Thorny or Quinn better than Liger.  When did Tuch pass yours truly?

Probably not at 6 years of age, but most likely by 12.  Maybe 11? 8?

McDavid is arguably the best player in the world today.  But for those of us born more than a year or 2 before 1997 there was a point in time that we were better players than him.  How old was he when he could put us to shame?  7? 10?

Birth.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would expect the NCAA team to win because of the age difference.  But it sure would be interesting to see play out.

Let's say for argument's sake that Minn wins the Frozen Four and the Winnipeg Ice wins the Memorial Cup.  Those are two really talented teams

The Gophers have Cooley, Snuggerud, Chesley, Faber, Johnson, Knies, and LaCombe who are all 1st and 2nd round picks, plus 7 more drafted players.

The Ice have Savoie, Connor Geekie, Benson, Lambos, Ostapchuk as 1st and 2nd rd draftees, plus a couple of other drafted players.

I think it's would be a very interesting series, but I agree the Gophers would probably prevail.

There's a YouTube clip of the CHL vs NCAA debate where NHL'rs chime in. It's pretty split even with them.

I think on average, the CHL top end talent is better, whereas the NCAA is deeper. Most role players in the NCAA don't start until around the same age the CHL role player ages out. 

The next great debate is Canadian University (where teams are all aged out CHL'ers on their education packages) vs NCAA.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

There's a YouTube clip of the CHL vs NCAA debate where NHL'rs chime in. It's pretty split even with them.

I think on average, the CHL top end talent is better, whereas the NCAA is deeper. Most role players in the NCAA don't start until around the same age the CHL role player ages out. 

The next great debate is Canadian University (where teams are all aged out CHL'ers on their education packages) vs NCAA.

Canadian Universities are good, all ex CHL players, but devoid of top end talent.

Most of the top CHL guys are drafted and have gone to the AHL or NHL.

U sports hockey is underrated. I think NCAA has better stars but maybe not as much depth.

Canadian U. hockey guys are not going anywhere from there, so they don’t give 110%. They are not scouted so they don’t train as hard. Their NHL dreams died when they aged out of the CHL.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Canadian Universities are good, all ex CHL players, but devoid of top end talent.

Most of the top CHL guys are drafted and have gone to the AHL or NHL.

U sports hockey is underrated. I think NCAA has better stars but maybe not as much depth.

Canadian U. hockey guys are not going anywhere from there, so they don’t give 110%. They are not scouted so they don’t train as hard. Their NHL dreams died when they aged out of the CHL.

I've heard from a few in the know that more and more U Sports grads are playing in Europe post-graduation. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.