1980's All Star NHL Team vs. Today's All Star College Team ---Who would win?

bob_sauve28

26 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

One other eye test thing.

My son is a 15yo AAA player. He's done development skates and non-contact pickup with members of Canada's Women's National Team.  

During the development skates, the women look much more polished with far more refined edges and finesse. During the pick-up/gameplay, the women struggle hard against the 15yo AAA boys and are completely outclassed.

I think you'd see the same thing with the 80s men vs '23 college players. 

Dude... You're reaching.

Let's break this down.... so he did pickup games with members. How many? How old were there? Which members? Why are we comparing Women's hockey to Men's hockey when one gets considerably more funding and players? How does that relate to 1983 hockey? How do 15yr old kids relate to 21 year old NCAA players? 

Sorry but you have one of the weakest arguments I have seen for this. The 10 yr jump isn't logical, comparing men's hockey to women's hockey in the same time period is a different argument all together, you fail to understand the difference between a 15yr old and a 21yr old, and you fundamentally do not understand the differences in goalie play from 1983 to 2023.... Dude, you are not only reaching, you aren't even making sense anymore. 

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

FIFY

Again you have to keep changing your paremeters. Now it is NCAA to ALL Stars. I have no doubt that a team of 2023 NHL All Stars beats the 2023 NCAA team. But again, you have to change the topic and toss out strawman after strawman. I'd guess that your formative hockey years were in the 80's or early 90s meaning that you can't divest yourself from the nostalgia of those years. That's fine but bad faith arguments don't make your point. 

42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

That depends.  Does Guy Lafleur show up to the rink late because he was engaged all night and then smoke during intermission?  Do the 1980's players get to train in the off-season instead of working summer jobs?  Do they still have faux-leather skates and wooden sticks?  Does their goaltending equipment still absorb water so that each pad weighs 10 pounds more after the game?

I don't think people realise how different pro sports are now compared to then.

The answer to all those questions is yes. That’s the only way the hypothetical works. 

*of course* the nhl’ers would steam roll them if you levelled the playing field. They are some of the best hockey players, relatively, of all time. 

the whole point of it is to do it “as is” and athletes today are simply bigger, faster, better 

why are all the Olympic track records from today? Re set every year? Hockey is just immune? 

athletes today are better specimens, full stop, that’s it, enjoy your day 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Right, they got to play together for awhile. The Russian team played together all the time. 

And the USA had Mike Ramsey!! 🇺🇸

That US team had played together literally for about 6 months prior to the Olympics that year.  The selection of the 26 guys that would be pared down to 20 happened in the summer of '79.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again you have to keep changing your paremeters. Now it is NCAA to ALL Stars. I have no doubt that a team of 2023 NHL All Stars beats the 2023 NCAA team. But again, you have to change the topic and toss out strawman after strawman. I'd guess that your formative hockey years were in the 80's or early 90s meaning that you can't divest yourself from the nostalgia of those years. That's fine but bad faith arguments don't make your point. 

Geez- I hope I didn't ruin your day. See my original post.

By the eye test my kid loses to the women. In practice he doesn't.

By the eye test, the NHL All-Stars lose to the college team. In practice, they won't.

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Gretzky is tough to bet against. Not to mention putting a guy like Roy, or Barasso, or Fuhr in net. 

Against who? Levi and Knies?

Ill take Gretzky/Roy.

I wonder if today Barasso would play in NHL at 18? 

Imagine if we had him...no, I won't even dream that 😞 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder if today Barasso would play in NHL at 18? 

Imagine if we had him...no, I won't even dream that 😞 

We would get destroyed night in and night out. 

The goalie position has probably undergone the single most advancement since 1983. Buffalo would give up 10 a night. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The goalie position has probably undergone the single most advancement since 1983. Buffalo would give up 10 a night. 

So, another evaluation year for the position, then 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That would be a lot of broken goalie sticks! He used to smash them over the cross bar when he got scored on, lol 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

By this logic though you can say that a 1980 Jeep is the same as a 2023 jeep because if you go back 10 years the 2013 isn't that much different than the 2023 and then the 2003 isn't that much different and so on and so forth. It just ignores the incremental changes and the players themselves evolving with them over time. 

Sure but now you have more electrical and software issues betting analogy applies.  

This is an impossible question.  If you modernized the NHLers they'd destroy the college kids and if the college kids played a bunch of 60 to 70 year old men, the old guys would be destroyed.

To put the 1980's all-stars as age appropriate with the college kids but not update their equipment and training seems silly imho.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As someone who played college hockey and minor pro... the 80's ALL Star PROs would destory the 2023 College All Stars every time.   

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well that seals it. College team with ease 

- - - 

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I hate you for this.

Hey join the club 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is an impossible question.  If you modernized the NHLers they'd destroy the college kids and if the college kids played a bunch of 60 to 70 year old men, the old guys would be destroyed.

To put the 1980's all-stars as age appropriate with the college kids but not update their equipment and training seems silly imho.

Again, if you upgrade their training, *there is no hypothetical*. With the training of today from birth the 80s all stars would be...you guessed it, the all stars of TODAY

Can the all stars of today beat a college team? Hmm who knows! 

Just now, Thorny said:

Again, if you upgrade their training, *there is no hypothetical*. With the training of today from birth the 80s all stars would be...you guessed it, the all stars of TODAY

That's why it's an impossible question.  Are we age-reducing Mike Bossy but making him play on old skates and with a wooden stick against today's college kids?   Is that how conducting this comparison?  How does that make any sense?  

• Thanks (+1) 1

A good way to narrow down this argument and save everyone a bunch of time would be: 

who wins between the 80s all stars and..the 2023 Chicago Blackhawks? I’ve got a feeling plenty of the people saying 80s in the initial hypothetical will have the same answer 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's why it's an impossible question.  Are we age-reducing Mike Bossy but making him play on old skates and with a wooden stick against today's college kids?   Is that how conducting this comparison?  How does that make any sense?  

Then shut down the damn thread 

Jesus 

you aren’t “age reducing” anyone. It’s simply an inter dimensional portal opening up by which the two teams get to play eachother. It’s the standard, “who wins, Gandalf or Darth Vader?” nerds like us have done for eons  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

How about this? Would the 2023 NCAA Frozen Four Champion beat the 2023 Columbus Blue Jackets or Sharks or Blackhawks? 

As to the original thread, if you magically transported the 1983 NHL All-stars to 2023 and gave them modern sticks and skates even without additional training, they'd destroy the college kids.  the 1983 game featured Peter Stastny, Ray Bourque, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri, Bossy, Trottier, Messier, Doug Wilson, Mark Howe, Denis Potvin, Marcel Dionne, and even my friend Dino Ciccarelli.  The college kids would never even get the puck out of their zone until it was in the back of the net. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.